ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Brown

What would this board say about Steve Alford if he was still at New Castle HS today? Or Jordan Hulls? Lights out shooter that needs screens to score. Not athletic enough to guard high D1 athletes. Can't create his own shot? I think Luke Brown is more skilled than Grant Gelon who was recruited by IU. Luke Brown will play D1 college basketball somewhere.
I haven't seen Brown play, so I have no opinion on him.

I remember Alford got selected for the McDonald's All-American game. He did not have any kind of success there. That was a red flag that didn't ultimately mean anything.

I can't imagine what this board would say about him after that game...

I can absolutely tell from one game someone’s junior year if they’re going to be good enough to play at IU or not. Luke Brown reminds me of Michael Lewis and that kid from WRV that played for Butler that was pretty good. Is he a must get? Probably not, but he will be a pretty good collegiate player one day. He’s a great shooter and ball handler. Of course he’s not the greatest athlete in the world but he’s pretty athletic. I’d like to see him at IU but be at the tail end of a recruiting class. He’s the type that would benefit from a redshirt to just get stronger and all of that as by the time he’s 21 he’ll make a pretty darn good college guard.

Soooo Kyle Guy?

or just a guy?

I haven't seen Brown play, so I have no opinion on him.

I remember Alford got selected for the McDonald's All-American game. He did not have any kind of success there. That was a red flag that didn't ultimately mean anything.

I can't imagine what this board would say about him after that game...

Johnny Ledbetter was a Mickey D AM in castleton. Served best hot fries ever. He was one and done until he dropped the quarter pounder on the floor. It happens to best of Mickeys

I did not miss the meaning at all.

Are we trying to win championships or are we trying to find a way to get Luke Brown on the team? How many Luke Browns does Kentucky have? How many does Duke have? Or Kansas? Carolina? And who is Brown gonna guard on those teams that he's not gonna get exploited by every night?

We also took a player that was a one trick pony that we thought we could hide his other faults, Grant Gelon. CAM was smart enough to know he couldn't help the team though, so Grant moved on. Brown is obviously a better player, but the same thought process is the same. We're not gonna reach on a player if he's not Indiana caliber.

We're not the only school that has scouted and passed. Every p5 school has as of today. There's a reason for that.
Kentucky? Duke? Carolina? Kansas?
We are so far from being any of those programs it’s laughable.
We have whiffed on every kid that we went head to head with those schools for years now,save Jackson-Davis.
Calling Brown mid major talent is appropriate since we are more or less a mid major currently.
Name one player currently on the roster that was recruited by any of those schools other than Jackson-Davis?

Reactions: Lucy01
I remember Alford got selected for the McDonald's All-American game. He did not have any kind of success there.
Steve didn’t play in the McDonald’s AA game; he played in the Dapper Dan in Pittsburgh. Daryl Thomas, though, played in the Mickey D.

And I get your point about Alford’s lack of success in that game. But the system Knight ran was perfect for Steve to get shots. IU (nor anybody, really) plays that way anymore.

Reactions: CC Mac
Soooo Kyle Guy?

or just a guy?
Kyle Guy is 2 inches taller but yeah I would compare him to Kyle. I don’t understand why he doesn’t have a few stars by his name. If he were black he would have 3 or 4 of them. Especially with the 3 ball being as valuable as it is these days he could definitely contribute to a high D1 team one day. I’m not saying he could walk out on the court right now and be great. If he continues to progress the way I think he will then his junior year he will be good enough to do his thing at the high D1 level. Go watch him play and it’s clear that he’s special and has a lot of talent. Of course he needs to be on the court with great athletes that can defend as he won’t be the greatest defender ever but offensively he does everything well. I promise you if we don’t get him one day we’ll wish he was at IU. He needs to be out worst recruit in 2021 on paper though. We need Furst and that other good player in state or that 5 star out east that we’re talking to but Brown will be successful in college basketball. Maybe not as an underclassman but he will as he gets older.

Reactions: Lucy01
Kyle Guy is 2 inches taller but yeah I would compare him to Kyle. I don’t understand why he doesn’t have a few stars by his name. If he were black he would have 3 or 4 of them. Especially with the 3 ball being as valuable as it is these days he could definitely contribute to a high D1 team one day. I’m not saying he could walk out on the court right now and be great. If he continues to progress the way I think he will then his junior year he will be good enough to do his thing at the high D1 level. Go watch him play and it’s clear that he’s special and has a lot of talent. Of course he needs to be on the court with great athletes that can defend as he won’t be the greatest defender ever but offensively he does everything well. I promise you if we don’t get him one day we’ll wish he was at IU. He needs to be out worst recruit in 2021 on paper though. We need Furst and that other good player in state or that 5 star out east that we’re talking to but Brown will be successful in college basketball. Maybe not as an underclassman but he will as he gets older.
That's some stupid sh!t there. You think the poor white kid is being oppressed by the basketball experts? Seriously?

Kentucky? Duke? Carolina? Kansas?
We are so far from being any of those programs it’s laughable.
We have whiffed on every kid that we went head to head with those schools for years now,save Jackson-Davis.
Calling Brown mid major talent is appropriate since we are more or less a mid major currently.
Name one player currently on the roster that was recruited by any of those schools other than Jackson-Davis?
Romeo Langford. He's not currently on the roster but he doesn't support your theory. Franklin was offered by Louisville. RP was offered by Virginia. Hunter was offered by a ton of schools to include Michigan, OSU, Florida and PU. They aren't the schools you listed but they're all good basketball programs.

I will tell you one thing, Brown could beat anyone on IU team shooting free throws! 50% doesn’t cut it! Do you think BK would except that kind of performance? That’s the norm for this bunch! You win games with good ft shooting!

I will tell you one thing, Brown could beat anyone on IU team shooting free throws! 50% doesn’t cut it! Do you think BK would except that kind of performance? That’s the norm for this bunch! You win games with good ft shooting!
Within a month some of you guys are going to have brown elevated to a top 25 player and the next Alford. The biggest must get in iu history.

Reactions: Lucy01 and minneman
Listen everyone, I understand the frustration we’re all going thru right now.

But be realistic. While Brown is a great shooter, he has a LOT of other deficiencies in his game. And bringing him to Bloomington with the thinking he’d solve our inability to hit from beyond the arc or the charity stripe isn’t realistic - nor would it be fair to the kid.

Could Luke possibly be a really nice complimentary piece? Maybe. But IU has bigger needs right now, needs Luke cannot help with. That’s not hating on the kid (who, from all accounts, is an outstanding young man) or knocking him as a player. It’s just reality.

Listen everyone, I understand the frustration we’re all going thru right now.

But be realistic. While Brown is a great shooter, he has a LOT of other deficiencies in his game. And bringing him to Bloomington with the thinking he’d solve our inability to hit from beyond the arc or the charity stripe isn’t realistic - nor would it be fair to the kid.

Could Luke possibly be a really nice complimentary piece? Maybe. But IU has bigger needs right now, needs Luke cannot help with. That’s not hating on the kid (who, from all accounts, is an outstanding young man) or knocking him as a player. It’s just reality.
Well said. Who is he going to guard?

IU don't need a 93 % FT shooter, they would rather shoot 50% and lose.

That's clearly the only reason why we're losing. Free throw shooting.

Let's go out and find every free throw shooter over 90%. We'll win every game then. How can we lose. We'll hit every free throw we take.

Who care about defense or rebounding or creating for others. Those aren't important aspects of the game. Free throws are it.

That's clearly the only reason why we're losing. Free throw shooting.

Let's go out and find every free throw shooter over 90%. We'll win every game then. How can we lose. We'll hit every free throw we take.

Who care about defense or rebounding or creating for others. Those aren't important aspects of the game. Free throws are it.
Having a balance is the goal here.
Inside players, 3pt shooters, rebounders, defenders, passers, FT shooters.
Having NO high % FT shooters is obviously not the answer either as evidenced by a 50% FT shooting loss.

Crean would recruit players over 6'10" and have him out on the perimeter... wait that actually happened.

Hold on.

I thought the knock on Crean was he only recruited wings. Now he recruited 6'10 guys that played on the perimeter?

I'm confused now.

Having a balance is the goal here.
Inside players, 3pt shooters, rebounders, defenders, passers, FT shooters.
Having NO high % FT shooters is obviously not the answer either as evidenced by a 50% FT shooting loss.

As a team we are shooting almost 70% as a team.

We are typically not a bad free throw shooting team. But don't let actual stats get in the way of your mindless theories.

IU don't need a 93 % FT shooter, they would rather shoot 50% and lose.
A 93% FT shooter doesn't help if he can't get to the line and/or his defensive assignment scores easily.

The same can be said about his 3-point shooting. Speaking of which, I haven't seen him play so I have some questions about that. How quick is his release? How's his elevation on the shot?

He puts up big numbers against bad competition. College coaches whose multi-million dollar jobs depend on recruiting kids that can play at a high level have watched and evaluated Brown and yet have declined to offer him a scholarship. So what is it you think you know that they don't? Just his stats?

Reactions: IUx1999
A 93% FT shooter doesn't help if he can't get to the line and/or his defensive assignment scores easily.

The same can be said about his 3-point shooting. Speaking of which, I haven't seen him play so I have some questions about that. How quick is his release? How's his elevation on the shot?

He puts up big numbers against bad competition. College coaches whose multi-million dollar jobs depend on recruiting kids that can play at a high level have watched and evaluated Brown and yet have declined to offer him a scholarship. So what is it you think you know that they don't? Just his stats?
How has the multimillion dollar coaches recruiting worked out for IU?

How has the multimillion dollar coaches recruiting worked out for IU?
I clearly said "college coaches." Since your reading comprehension is lacking I'll explain that that is plural and includes more coaches than just IU's. In fact, it is all that have watched him except for those at Ball State and Miami of Ohio.

Weak deflection attempt because you don't have a good answer.

I clearly said "college coaches." Since your reading comprehension is lacking I'll explain that that is plural and includes more coaches than just IU's. In fact, it is all that have watched him except for those at Ball State and Miami of Ohio.

Weak deflection attempt because you don't have a good answer.
And I referred to IU Multi million dollar College coach, so you better check your reading comprehension!

And I referred to IU Multi million dollar College coach, so you better check your reading comprehension!
In other words, you're not very intelligent and think that weak attempt at deflection was clever. See? I understood just fine. I also understand that you have no insight to add to this, or any other, discussion.

Reactions: IUx1999 and MaxCoke
In other words, you're not very intelligent and think that weak attempt at deflection was clever. See? I understood just fine. I also understand that you have no insight to add to this, or any other, discussion.
Yeah, you’re probably right. But I have fun in the process :D

Luke is shooting over 90% from the free throw line! No one is doing that for IU!
Who was the last IU player to shoot over 90% from the free throw line? My guess is Alford, and he's been gone for a long time.

What would this board say about Steve Alford if he was still at New Castle HS today? Or Jordan Hulls? Lights out shooter that needs screens to score. Not athletic enough to guard high D1 athletes. Can't create his own shot? I think Luke Brown is more skilled than Grant Gelon who was recruited by IU. Luke Brown will play D1 college basketball somewhere.
I don't think you can compare Luke, to Jordy or Steve. Seen all 3 in high school. Luke will be a good college player. Not on Steves orJordys level though.

Who was the last IU player to shoot over 90% from the free throw line? My guess is Alford, and he's been gone for a long time.
My question to you, did Steve Alford free throw shooting win games?

My question to you, did Steve Alford free throw shooting win games?
North Carolina when he was a freshman. Others, too, but that is the one that sticks out. Anyone remember the only time at IU when he missed both tries in a two-shot foul. Think it was against Auburn in regional his senior year.

North Carolina when he was a freshman. Others, too, but that is the one that sticks out. Anyone remember the only time at IU when he missed both tries in a two-shot foul. Think it was against Auburn in regional his senior year.

He missed two straight vs UNLV in the final four game.

We don't need no stinkin' shooters.
Who needs a 93% FT shooter when we can hit 50% as.a team in a loss?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT