ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Brown

His team plays Barr-Reeve Friday evening in the North Daviess tourney. BR is undefeated in 1A.
As a Washington High School graduate it really bothers me how Barr-Reeve can be so good every year. They beat Washington on a regular basis because they play the first game of the year at Washington. It should be a good contest tonight. I wonder if I can find this game online?

As a Washington High School graduate it really bothers me how Barr-Reeve can be so good every year. They beat Washington on a regular basis because they play the first game of the year at Washington. It should be a good contest tonight. I wonder if I can find this game online?
I’m at the game. The game before it has just ended. I’ll let you all know if he’s really an elite college basketball prospect or more of a UE type of player. He’ll have Barr Reeve’s best player Hagen Knepp guarding him who is 6’4, long, and a really good athlete. He’ll play D1 himself as he’s just a sophomore. Also, it shouldn’t bother you that they’re really good every year. They don’t have a football or soccer team to compete with for players. Those boys play together year round so of course they usually beat Washington the first game of the year. Washington is starting to play really well now, and I have a cousin that starts. I’m hoping they win Sectional this year but, who knows?

Last edited:
Remember, it’s atea
I’m at the game. The game before it has just ended. I’ll let you all know if he’s really an elite college basketball prospect or more of a UE type of player. He’ll have Barr Reeve’s best player Hagen Knepp guarding him who is 6’4, long, and a really good athlete. He’ll play D1 himself as he’s just a sophomore. Also, it shouldn’t bother you that they’re really good every year. They don’t have a football or soccer team to compete with for players. Those boys play together year round so of course they usually beat Washington the first game of the year. Washington is starting to play really well now, and I have a cousin that starts. I’m hoping they win Sectional this year but, who knows?
Remember, it’s a team game. He’s got to have help from his teammates to get him the ball and screen for him. It’s also ridiculous to think you can make this kind of judgement about what level of college ball he can play based on one game.

Remember, it’s atea

Remember, it’s a team game. He’s got to have help from his teammates to get him the ball and screen for him. It’s also ridiculous to think you can make this kind of judgement about what level of college ball he can play based on one game.
I can absolutely tell from one game someone’s junior year if they’re going to be good enough to play at IU or not. Luke Brown reminds me of Michael Lewis and that kid from WRV that played for Butler that was pretty good. Is he a must get? Probably not, but he will be a pretty good collegiate player one day. He’s a great shooter and ball handler. Of course he’s not the greatest athlete in the world but he’s pretty athletic. I’d like to see him at IU but be at the tail end of a recruiting class. He’s the type that would benefit from a redshirt to just get stronger and all of that as by the time he’s 21 he’ll make a pretty darn good college guard.

Their is a Knepp that plays for Barr Reeve??..

Remember, it’s atea

Luke shot the ball well tonight. He had the ball in his hands almost 60% of the game tonight, does not need a screen to get his shot off. End of the day Barr Reeve was just to good. BR wins big going away.

I can absolutely tell from one game someone’s junior year if they’re going to be good enough to play at IU or not. Luke Brown reminds me of Michael Lewis and that kid from WRV that played for Butler that was pretty good. Is he a must get? Probably not, but he will be a pretty good collegiate player one day. He’s a great shooter and ball handler. Of course he’s not the greatest athlete in the world but he’s pretty athletic. I’d like to see him at IU but be at the tail end of a recruiting class. He’s the type that would benefit from a redshirt to just get stronger and all of that as by the time he’s 21 he’ll make a pretty darn good college guard.

Hard to argue with a good ball handler and steady shooter after watching us the last couple of years. Sounds like a perfect backup PG off the bench, if he's athletic enough.

Luke is shooting over 90% from the free throw line! No one is doing that for IU!

Hard to argue with a good ball handler and steady shooter after watching us the last couple of years. Sounds like a perfect backup PG off the bench, if he's athletic enough.
He’s definitely a world class shooter but will be a defensive liability if he’s playing for IU one day. I would like him or Jalen Blackmon but not both. I guess I’d rather have Jalen if I had my pick but either would be fine. They have to be at the tail end of a recruiting class though for IU to be where we want it. There is something special about Luke though so Archie should watch and see how his summer goes.

Luke is shooting over 90% from the free throw line! No one is doing that for IU!
That's great and all but would he be able to get to the line at the B1G level? Would he then be able to keep his defensive assignment from just matching those points?

That's great and all but would he be able to get to the line at the B1G level? Would he then be able to keep his defensive assignment from just matching those points?
How do you know so much about him!

No way,we sure don’t need any shooters or a defensive liability,not with the lock down defenders we have now *eye roll*

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
He’s definitely a world class shooter but will be a defensive liability if he’s playing for IU one day. I would like him or Jalen Blackmon but not both. I guess I’d rather have Jalen if I had my pick but either would be fine. They have to be at the tail end of a recruiting class though for IU to be where we want it. There is something special about Luke though so Archie should watch and see how his summer goes.
I can't put my finger on whether Jalen should be offered by IU. When I watch him I see a very gifted shooter. But he doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly. Hopefully I am wrong, he comes to IU and is all world.

Yes that’s what I am saying, IU needs shooters that can score!

He can't score at this level though.

He's had the chance during the summer at the AAU level and struggles against kids that had equal skill sets, not kids that he's going up against now. He's not quick enough to get his shot off against actual d1 athletes if he's got length on him. Sure, if he's left alone, he'll knock the shot down. But he really struggles to defend and score against high d1 caliber players son a consistent basis.

He's a mid major level player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and 76-1

He's had the chance during the summer at the AAU level and struggles against kids that had equal skill sets, not kids that he's going up against now. He's not quick enough to get his shot off against actual d1 athletes if he's got length on him. Sure, if he's left alone, he'll knock the shot down. But he really struggles to defend and score against high d1 caliber players son a consistent basis.

You mean a mid major like ISU and IUPU Ft Wayne?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01 and MG80

I agree. If my son gets a full ride at a mid major I ain't crying.

You’re wrong, he will be good enough to play at IU one day. Will he want to redshirt or wait until he’s a junior before seeing any real playing time, probably not. We do not need him but he has value. He’s pretty damn athletic and has a great handle. He’ll end up going to play for Alford would be my guess. I know he’s come to see him play anyways.

Reactions: Lucy01
You’re wrong, he will be good enough to play at IU one day. Will he want to redshirt or wait until he’s a junior before seeing any real playing time, probably not. We do not need him but he has value. He’s pretty damn athletic and has a great handle. He’ll end up going to play for Alford would be my guess. I know he’s come to see him play anyways.

If I'm wrong, then why couldn't he do what he he's doing now in the summer? He had every opportunity to show it and was outshined by his teammates. He was far to easy to guard when other d1 athletes were on the floor with him. Size gives him fits. If he's left alone though, he's lights out, not denying that, but that's just one aspect. You need more than just that.

Again, he's a d1 player. Hes not a high d1 caliber player or he would have the offers to back it up. Ball State wants him. Thatd a good landing spot for him. They play good ball there.

It's almost a disservice to him the hype machine behind him because people are expecting unrealistic expectations on the kid once he leaves next year. He'll probably leave the state's top scorer all time. Good comp for him is probably Luke Bumbalough. He scored a ton of points in high school and is having a solid freshman year this year for Ball State. If Brown can do what Bumbalough is doing, than his college career would be pretty good.

Reactions: brianiu
I have never seen Luke play but he has certainly stirred up some healthy conversation. He sounds a little like Ryan McMahon from Louisville in both size and skill set. Ryan is 6’0” and 185 lbs. who is a lights out shooter and a good ball handler. Good basketball IQ. McMahon has improved every year and put time in the weight room to get stronger. He is not a great player but very solid averaging 9 a game.

For those who have seen both play - how do their games compare?

Last edited:
I have never seen Luke play but he has certainly stirred up some healthy conversation. He sounds a little like Ryan McMahon from Louisville in both size and skill set. Ryan is 6’0” and 185 lbs. who is a lights out shooter and a good ball handler. Hood basketball IQ. McMahon has improved every year and put time in the weight room to get stronger. He is not a great player but very solid averaging 9 a game.
For those who have seen both play - how do their games compare?

McMahon is quick enough on the defensive end to not be a liability. You can not say that for Brown. He isn't quick enough to stay in front of the elite guards in his class.

His handle isn't at McMahons level. He can't create a shot for himself. He was to guardable in AAU against kids of similar skill set.

If he's got space, he's a weapon. If there's not any space, Luke Brown hasn't shown he's efficient yet. High d1 programs aren't after a 6 foot shooting guard.

McMahon is quick enough on the defensive end to not be a liability. You can not say that for Brown. He isn't quick enough to stay in front of the elite guards in his class.

His handle isn't at McMahons level. He can't create a shot for himself. He was to guardable in AAU against kids of similar skill set.

If he's got space, he's a weapon. If there's not any space, Luke Brown hasn't shown he's efficient yet. High d1 programs aren't after a 6 foot shooting guard.
I guess you’re right, just checked the Loogootee score and they beat Blackford for their second loss!

I guess you’re right, just checked the Loogootee score and they beat Blackford for their second loss!

Again, who cares about the high school season. What did he do against kids he would go up against in college? You haven't answered that question yet?

Again, who cares about the high school season. What did he do against kids he would go up against in college? You haven't answered that question yet?
If I'm wrong, then why couldn't he do what he he's doing now in the summer? He had every opportunity to show it and was outshined by his teammates. He was far to easy to guard when other d1 athletes were on the floor with him. Size gives him fits. If he's left alone though, he's lights out, not denying that, but that's just one aspect. You need more than just that.

Again, he's a d1 player. Hes not a high d1 caliber player or he would have the offers to back it up. Ball State wants him. Thatd a good landing spot for him. They play good ball there.

It's almost a disservice to him the hype machine behind him because people are expecting unrealistic expectations on the kid once he leaves next year. He'll probably leave the state's top scorer all time. Good comp for him is probably Luke Bumbalough. He scored a ton of points in high school and is having a solid freshman year this year for Ball State. If Brown can do what Bumbalough is doing, than his college career would be pretty good.
What would this board say about Steve Alford if he was still at New Castle HS today? Or Jordan Hulls? Lights out shooter that needs screens to score. Not athletic enough to guard high D1 athletes. Can't create his own shot? I think Luke Brown is more skilled than Grant Gelon who was recruited by IU. Luke Brown will play D1 college basketball somewhere.

What would this board say about Steve Alford if htoday?

Oh just stop.

Luke Brown is no where near the player thay Steve Alford was. That is what people are talking about when they say about Luke Brown having all this hype built up around him.

Steve Alford was a first round NBA pick. Luke Brown will be a Mac level player, which again, there is nothing wrong with. Let's not build up Luke Brown to something that he can't live up to.

He's probably gonna end up somewhere like Ball State. There is zero wrong with that.
I think you missed the intended irony in the post you replied to. ISU and IFW both gave us royal beat downs and they are not high division one programs. They mauled our defense, the Brown weakness you seemed to highlight.
BTW Steve Alford was a great college player. But he was always a very average and at times poor defender. He was not quick of foot and was not a physical specimen. He was fortunate to play on a team that hid these weaknesses with the great team defensive it played. He also played in an offensive system that utilized tons of screening for him. He did not beat many guys off the dribble or out physical them. Of course I’m not saying Brown is Alford but there are many ways a team can hide a player’s deficiencies and play to their strengths. He is a lights out shooter and can handle dish the rock. He loves IU. I’d still try to find a spot for him if possible.

I think you missed the intended irony in the post you replied to. ISU and IFW both gave us royal beat downs and they are not high division one programs. They mauled our defense, the Brown weakness you seemed to highlight.
BTW Steve Alford was a great college player. But he was always a very average and at times poor defender. He was not quick of foot and was not a physical specimen. He was fortunate to play on a team that hid these weaknesses with the great team defensive it played. He also played in an offensive system that utilized tons of screening for him. He did not beat many guys off the dribble or out physical them. Of course I’m not saying Brown is Alford but there are many ways a team can hide a player’s deficiencies and play to their strengths. He is a lights out shooter and can handle dish the rock. He loves IU. I’d still try to find a spot for him if possible.

I did not miss the meaning at all.

Are we trying to win championships or are we trying to find a way to get Luke Brown on the team? How many Luke Browns does Kentucky have? How many does Duke have? Or Kansas? Carolina? And who is Brown gonna guard on those teams that he's not gonna get exploited by every night?

We also took a player that was a one trick pony that we thought we could hide his other faults, Grant Gelon. CAM was smart enough to know he couldn't help the team though, so Grant moved on. Brown is obviously a better player, but the same thought process is the same. We're not gonna reach on a player if he's not Indiana caliber.

We're not the only school that has scouted and passed. Every p5 school has as of today. There's a reason for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: minneman

Thanks for the feedback.

What would this board say about Steve Alford if he was still at New Castle HS today? Or Jordan Hulls? Lights out shooter that needs screens to score. Not athletic enough to guard high D1 athletes. Can't create his own shot? I think Luke Brown is more skilled than Grant Gelon who was recruited by IU. Luke Brown will play D1 college basketball somewhere.
They were both highly ranked. Alford top 50 and hulls top 125.

Oh just stop.

Luke Brown is no where near the player thay Steve Alford was. That is what people are talking about when they say about Luke Brown having all this hype built up around him.

Steve Alford was a first round NBA pick. Luke Brown will be a Mac level player, which again, there is nothing wrong with. Let's not build up Luke Brown to something that he can't live up to.
Why are some peopled making brown out to be the second coming of Alford when not one high major has offered. Heck he is even more under the radar then priller was!

The takeaway from this thread is that some of the posters here think that since IU had been beaten by mid-majors in the past then they should recruit mid-major players. I don't understand how that will help them consistently be one of the top teams in the nation. Or is the goal now to just beat mid-major schools?

According to 247, Brown currently has offers from Ball State and Miami of Ohio. Evansville and and IPFW have recruited him but not offered. I know coaches from IU and Purdue (and likely other D1 schools in the region) have watched him play. None have offered. Hell, even Tom Crean hasn't offered. Yet the posters here think all of these coaches are wrong based on Brown's big numbers against bad competition.

I'd like him at IU as a walk-on. Then if he does develop into a B1G caliber guard he can be given a scholarship. I think he'll take one of the scholarship offers he has.

Reactions: IUXC68
ADVERTISEMENT