ADVERTISEMENT

luck plays a helluva role in life

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
we are do some , when arch was hired my biggest concern was his brother because he recruited like uk but with crap results for the talent they had. no one could foresee the mess this has become most people thought he was a great hire and would have taken him over holtmann and underwood at the time. Jerome Hunter was a fringe top 40 player the guy simply is not very good , imagine if he had say 2nd all big 10 type talent how much of a difference that would have made this season. Creans last recruiting class was shit, instead of re-recruiting those guys he should have let them go would have been better off.

Last edited:
Knight was always able to win 20 games with mediocre talent.
Sampson could win 20 games without student athletes.
Mike Davis could win 20 games with Knight's players
Crean could win 20 games when he had several future pros on the roster
Miller won 20 games last year, then messed up this year pretty badly. If he is here next year, no one knows who will be on the team at this point.

Here's the problem, we were ALL satisfied with the recruiting Archie was doing up until the last year. He was getting every top Indiana kid, locking down the state and sprinkling in some national recruits. He literally did exactly as we asked from a recruiting standpoint so I hesitate to dog him there. He had an Indiana based roster.

The issue is you don't see the team playing like they're coached very well. Often times their heads look like they're spinning on defense and the only time we are impressed offensively is if a pick and roll works. The recruiting hasn't been bad but the play on the court has more often than not, just been awful.

Here's the problem, we were ALL satisfied with the recruiting Archie was doing up until the last year. He was getting every top Indiana kid, locking down the state and sprinkling in some national recruits. He literally did exactly as we asked from a recruiting standpoint so I hesitate to dog him there. He had an Indiana based roster.

The issue is you don't see the team playing like they're coached very well. Often times their heads look like they're spinning on defense and the only time we are impressed offensively is if a pick and roll works. The recruiting hasn't been bad but the play on the court has more often than not, just been awful.
Oh, I don’t know about that. The way I see it, TJD might be the only guy IU has that would see serious minutes on Michigan, OSU, Illinois, and Iowa.

Reactions: IUgradman

He hired Kenya bc they can’t land studs nationally. The three best players have all been from Indiana. If you look at the rankings of the kids out of high school, they arent actually that great (I realize rankings aren’t everything - but a general metric). He focused on Indiana kids, but it may have been at the expense of maybe some other National kids. He may have taken kids just because they were from Indiana - opposed to considering other kids.

Last off-season they couldn’t really develop kids as normal. But overall, he’s going to need better talent here and he and Kenya will need a big off-season to overhaul this roster.

Phin - 135, Romeo - 7, Damezi - 124, Hunter - 59, Forrester - 147, TJD - 30, Armaan - 151, Lander - 27, Geronimo - 103, Leal - 152, Galloway - 153, Duncomb - 74

I think it’s hard to sell today’s kids on pack line defense first, 1955 pick and roll offense next. Kids don’t like that.

Reactions: IUgradman
He hired Kenya bc they can’t land studs nationally. The three best players have all been from Indiana. If you look at the rankings of the kids out of high school, they arent actually that great (I realize rankings aren’t everything - but a general metric). He focused on Indiana kids, but it may have been at the expense of maybe some other National kids. He may have taken kids just because they were from Indiana - opposed to considering other kids.

Last off-season they couldn’t really develop kids as normal. But overall, he’s going to need better talent here and he and Kenya will need a big off-season to overhaul this roster.

Phin - 135, Romeo - 7, Damezi - 124, Hunter - 59, Forrester - 147, TJD - 30, Armaan - 151, Lander - 27, Geronimo - 103, Leal - 152, Galloway - 153, Duncomb - 74

I think it’s hard to sell today’s kids on pack line defense first, 1955 pick and roll offense next. Kids don’t like that.

The talent you listed is better than most of the teams in the B1G. I'm not sure if you were trying to prove my point or what but those are good recruits. You build a foundation of 4 stars and sprinkle in guys like Romeo, TJD and Lander. Unfortunately, the 4 star players who would stick around for 4 years have not blossomed to be all that great. To me, that falls upon the coach. Almost any other B1G team would take those recruiting classes any day.

Team Class National Ranks
2018 - #4
2019 - #35
2020- #13

The talent you listed is better than most of the teams in the B1G. I'm not sure if you were trying to prove my point or what but those are good recruits. You build a foundation of 4 stars and sprinkle in guys like Romeo, TJD and Lander. Unfortunately, the 4 star players who would stick around for 4 years have not blossomed to be all that great. To me, that falls upon the coach. Almost any other B1G team would take those recruiting classes any day.

Team Class National Ranks
2018 - #4
2019 - #35
2020- #13

i personally think it’s average. Need more top 100 guys, not 100-150 guys.

How can Indiana basketball not attract top 100 guys consistently? That’s a problem. And the three they have - were all in state.

Look at Michigan for instance. They’re light years ahead of IU now. Plus, IU has done basically nothing with real impact transfers like other schools (I know APR hurt early and Stewart is TBD). If he stays, we’ll see what this off-season brings.

ADVERTISEMENT