ADVERTISEMENT

Lt Col Ralph Peters Quits Fox, Calls it Propaganda machine

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
His parting email:

On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract. The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold:

First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support you've shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the bookers and producers, don't often get the recognition you deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated the challenges you face and the skill with which you master them.

Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I swore to "support and defend the Constitution," and that oath did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.

In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business, where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda mouthpiece--some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of hosts and staff members. You're the grown-ups.

Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who continue to do their best as talented professionals in a poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women in the business..

So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, "Das vidanya."​

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomnamako/ralph-peters?utm_term=.kh7JmJoAD#.mum9y93K2

His parting email:

On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract. The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold:

First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support you've shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the bookers and producers, don't often get the recognition you deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated the challenges you face and the skill with which you master them.

Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I swore to "support and defend the Constitution," and that oath did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.

In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business, where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda mouthpiece--some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of hosts and staff members. You're the grown-ups.

Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who continue to do their best as talented professionals in a poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women in the business..

So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, "Das vidanya."​

He’s mostly talking about the idiot Hannity. Every time I hear Hannity I end up yelling at the TV.

His parting email:

A very nuanced resignation.

Good for him.

Reactions: sglowrider
A very nuanced resignation.

Good for him.

No. Peters’ comments have all the nuance of a 2x4 across the nose. If you are going to discuss nuance you need to get it right. Nuance is a highly nuanced concept.

Adam Weinstein offers some thoughts:

But Peters is not talking about blood and guts and veins in his teeth on Fox News anymore, because Fox News is too crazy for him. He’s quitting the right-wing talk network — with a veteran’s righteous fury, according to his resignation email, obtained by Buzzfeed...

Think about this: A military man who advocates brutality in war as the norm, who’s called Muslims “savage” and “primitive,” who calls Obama “a pussy” on live television, thinks Fox News has gone overboard. And he’s goddamn right.​

https://taskandpurpose.com/ralph-peters-quits-fox-news-military/

But Peters is not talking about blood and guts and veins in his teeth on Fox News anymore, because Fox News is too crazy for him. He’s quitting the right-wing talk network — with a veteran’s righteous fury, according to his resignation email, obtained by Buzzfeed...

Think about this: A military man who advocates brutality in war as the norm, who’s called Muslims “savage” and “primitive,” who calls Obama “a pussy” on live television, thinks Fox News has gone overboard. And he’s goddamn right.​

If you look at it through this lens...starting to make more sense. Maybe just Fox trying to cut the knees out (successfully) of Breitbart.
Fox - outside of Hannity - didn't really go all in with Trump right away, like they have in the last 6 months or so.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/20/breitbart-readership-plunge-steve-bannon-474801

He’s mostly talking about the idiot Hannity. Every time I hear Hannity I end up yelling at the TV.
And fox and friends. And Laura Ingram. And...

It’s about a helluva lot more than Hannity, CO. And you know it.

This is amazing. This plus the leak about the conversation with Putin tells me that what’s left of the pub establishment is finally waking up to what a threat this guy is. And, they’re willing to risk things to say it. It’s that dire for them now.

What took so damn long? Serious question.

Whom a network runs in prime time is very indicative of the quality of their network.

Lol. Primetime network TV is time for T & A shallow drama and sitcoms. Hannity competes with that. If you are really interested in FNC watch Wallace & Baier.

This is amazing. This plus the leak about the conversation with Putin tells me that what’s left of the pub establishment is finally waking up to what a threat this guy is. And, they’re willing to risk things to say it. It’s that dire for them now.

This leak about Putin?

If you look at it through this lens...starting to make more sense. Maybe just Fox trying to cut the knees out (successfully) of Breitbart.
Fox - outside of Hannity - didn't really go all in with Trump right away, like they have in the last 6 months or so.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/20/breitbart-readership-plunge-steve-bannon-474801
Ironically, I've noticed recently that FNC's online platforms have shifted away from all-pro-Trump-all-the-time. More Trump-negative stories being shared on Twitter, more Trump-negative stories headlining the front page of the website. I'm not sure if that's reflective of a shift on TV, but it's definitely been noticeable online.

This is good.... I never liked Peters when I watched back in the day.... struck me as a guy hungry to make a name for himself on the tv circuit. He has said plenty of off the wall things through the years. Some right some wrong. But all of these talking heads have a personal monetary reason for these parting resignation letters.... I look at these hosts like Alyson Camarato that left Fox and went to CNN. It’s like she rolled out of bed after getting up on the right side of the bed for 16 years and started getting up on the left. Kiran Chetry was the same..... it’s a game and money is the prize. I don’t get worked up over it.

HA!

No. Peters’ comments have all the nuance of a 2x4 across the nose. If you are going to discuss nuance you need to get it right. Nuance is a highly nuanced concept.
You don’t say?!

It’s almost as if people here have just started throwing that word into posts to mock its overuse by a particular poster here.

You don’t say!?

dbbc4867d2472dbb2fedb925c1d2396a.jpg

Reactions: meridian
Whom a network runs in prime time is very indicative of the quality of their network.

it's indicative of their viewers.

prime time line up is about ratings.

Fox and MSNBC are both part propaganda.

there's a plus of having opposing party news/politics channels.

takes some filtering, but if we watch both, we get the dirt on both sides.

neither network gives the dirt on their own party.

You misspelled completely.

Reactions: hoosboot

With all due respect, Fox is far and away worse than MSNBC and it's not even close.

You don't watch MSNBC if that's what you think. Obviously it isn't the main focus, but Chris Matthews and Andrea Mitchell were both very hard on Hillary. They certainly covered emails . Fox News covers Hillary and OBama more than they cover Trump, because it's hard to find anything positive to say about the two. MSNBC quite obviously has a liberal bias, but there is no comparison to what the two do. MSNBC was not a leg of the Obama administration.

You don't watch MSNBC if that's what you think. Obviously it isn't the main focus, but Chris Matthews and Andrea Mitchell were both very hard on Hillary. They certainly covered emails . Fox News covers Hillary and OBama more than they cover Trump, because it's hard to find anything positive to say about the two. MSNBC quite obviously has a liberal bias, but there is no comparison to what the two do. MSNBC was not a leg of the Obama administration.

LMAO.

Chris Matthews basically was HC's head cheer leader, to the point of it being embarrassing.

when it started looking like Bernie might actually be a threat, and not just an interesting side story, both MSNBC and CNN really went into full pro Hilary mode.

neither Comcast nor Time Warner nor AT&T nor the Dem party funders wanted Bernie to win, and they did all they could to lift HC.

Never will escape the thrill up the leg or the old ESPN guy turned commentator ..... they were horrendous... you are lying to yourself.

Never will escape the thrill up the leg or the old ESPN guy turned commentator ..... they were horrendous... you are lying to yourself.
Please find something on MSNBC similar to the Seth Rich conspiracy that was trumpeted daily on Fox. Then I'll listen. You're lying to yourself.

LMAO.

Chris Matthews basically was HC's head cheer leader, to the point of it being embarrassing.

when it started looking like Bernie might actually be a threat, and not just an interesting side story, both MSNBC and CNN really went into full pro Hilary mode.

neither Comcast nor Time Warner nor AT&T nor the Dem party funders wanted Bernie to win, and they did all they could to lift HC.
You're kind of changing the subject there, since we weren't actually talking BErnie vs Hillary. He pushed her on her Iraq vote, he pushed her on emails. Who cares if they wanted Hilary to win?

Plus Morning Joe's Scarborough -- he has never been positive on Hillary or Obama. There are clear-cut republicans both as hosts and their respective guests. I think it's really unfair to lump MSNBC into the Fox bucket.

I’m not sure what you said because I never read all of your posts, but did you include the term “sock puppets?” I’ve noticed that term many times while scrolling through your nonsensical posts.

Why do you post the way you do? It’s a simple question.

Reactions: MrBing
It would have been malpractice and/or pure partisanship not to cover the HRC email scandal. It was most definitely not a nothing-burger. I just spent a couple days in meetings and a conference with about 70 DoD and DoS senior people. When talking about protecting classified information and clearance issues, I heard several joking comments about HRC and her staff and how they apparently had different standards than the rest of us. For all you Trump haters out there - Trump isn’t a popular person either. Face it, we had two of the worst Presidential candidates in history. Either way we would have elected the worst candidate in history. I say that even though I think HRC was the least worst.

I just spent a couple days in meetings and a conference with about 70 DoD and DoS senior people. When talking about protecting classified information and clearance issues, I heard several joking comments about HRC and her staff and how they apparently had different standards than the rest of us. For all you Trump haters out there - Trump isn’t a popular person either.
Did they have any opinions on Kusher's clearance problems? Backchannel contacts? Hot line to Moscow in the embassy?

It would have been malpractice and/or pure partisanship not to cover the HRC email scandal. It was most definitely not a nothing-burger. I just spent a couple days in meetings and a conference with about 70 DoD and DoS senior people. When talking about protecting classified information and clearance issues, I heard several joking comments about HRC and her staff and how they apparently had different standards than the rest of us. For all you Trump haters out there - Trump isn’t a popular person either. Face it, we had two of the worst Presidential candidates in history. Either way we would have elected the worst candidate in history. I say that even though I think HRC was the least worst.
Who said they shouldn't cover it? Of course they should cover it. They didnt need to cover it 24/7. It was covered much more extensively than any of the multitude of Trump scandals.
https://www.vox.com/2017/12/7/16747712/study-media-2016-election-clintons-emails

Who said they shouldn't cover it? Of course they should cover it. They didnt need to cover it 24/7. It was covered much more extensively than any of the multitude of Trump scandals.
https://www.vox.com/2017/12/7/16747712/study-media-2016-election-clintons-emails
Are you kidding? Trump was a scandal a day news story. He was a lying, disgusting, disrespectful, incompetent candidate and was properly portrayed that way every day, but the news channels, like me, mistakenly believed he had no chance. However, enough Americans in key states didn’t consider him the joke we did and/or didn’t care about those negative traits and voted for him in enough numbers to elect him.

Are you kidding? Trump was a scandal a day news story. He was a lying, disgusting, disrespectful, incompetent candidate and was properly portrayed that way every day, but the news channels, like me, mistakenly believed he had no chance. However, enough Americans in key states didn’t consider him the joke we did and/or didn’t care about those negative traits and voted for him in enough numbers to elect him.
Exactly. A scandal a day and then move on. No indepth reporting on anything, except for Hillary's emails. Day after day after day. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...overage/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8f061c6c03c5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT