ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville

Better coaches don’t let their teams implode. Yeah, yeah......I know....it’s all the injuries, even after we got them back from injury.

Hunter's back...?
Thompson is back...?
McRoberts is back...?

Huh, I must have missed all that.

The only one back is Davis and he's still limited due to stamina issues. He was key in the win @ MSU though.

Fyi...injuries are only part of it. There is definitely a chemistry issue with this team. Those coupled with a terrible lack of talent after the first two or three players has Indiana right where it is.

Hunter's back...?
Thompson is back...?
McRoberts is back...?

Huh, I must have missed all that.

The only one back is Davis and he's still limited due to stamina issues. He was key in the win @ MSU though.

Fyi...injuries are only part of it. There is definitely a chemistry issue with this team. Those coupled with a terrible lack of talent after the first two or three players has Indiana right where it is.

Possibly terrible coaching is part of it as well?

Well...Indiana was 12-2 before the downturn. Was that terrible coaching?
Did terrible coaching get him hired in the first place?
You think he suddenly forgot how to coach from Dec. 2018 to Jan. 2019...?

Or...maybe there's more at play here than just "terrible coaching"...

Winning in the A-10 doesn’t mean someone is elite and can win at IU. Are you at least open to the idea that the main issue is he’s not a good coach?

Winning in the A-10 doesn’t mean someone is elite and can win at IU. Are you at least open to the idea that the main issue is he’s not a good coach?

Well...again...I didn't call him elite. I simply stated that if he were a "terrible" coach, Indiana wouldn't have hired him.

So, no, I'm not open to that idea. He is a good coach. But there's quite a leap between terrible and good and elite. And you seem to be missing that.
I think under the circumstances he was given, he's done a pretty good job. Sure, the last 10 games haven't been great, but the main issue isn't his coaching. The main issue is a dogsh!t roster that Kim Jung Orange left him, a chemistry problem, and finally injuries to some key players.

Most rational people can see this.

Well...again...I didn't call him elite. I simply stated that if he were a "terrible" coach, Indiana wouldn't have hired him.

So, no, I'm not open to that idea. He is a good coach. But there's quite a leap between terrible and good and elite. And you seem to be missing that.
I think under the circumstances he was given, he's done a pretty good job. Sure, the last 10 games haven't been great, but the main issue isn't his coaching. The main issue is a dogsh!t roster that Kim Jung Orange left him, a chemistry problem, and finally injuries to some key players.

I think you are right on the money.

Maybe another coach could have headed off the chemistry issues this team seems to be having. We will never know.

Do you think that the fact that Archie has never had a five star player could play into this? Maybe he didn't handle the situation the best.

Hopefully, Archie can get even better and lead IU into the future.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Wrong. Better TEAMS don't implode.

This team is obviously fractured. Where is the leadership at?

Archie could be doing better, without a doubt. But short of sitting everyone (ala IIllinois 1985) there's not a lot he can do.

I have told my friends that this team lacks an emotional leader. All of them are amazingly stoic. Forget about his playing ability but put Quinn Buckner's leadership on this team and it would be an entirely different team IMO. Quinn wasn't afraid to get into players and them listened.

I think you are right on the money.

Maybe another coach could have headed off the chemistry issues this team seems to be having. We will never know.

Do you think that the fact that Archie has never had a five star player could play into this? Maybe he didn't handle the situation the best.

Hopefully, Archie can get even better and lead IU into the future.

That's hard to say. I don't think the 5-Star player is the issue. I believe the issue to be a player with some overbearing parents, some disgruntled upperclassmen who aren't buying in, and some poor Senior leadership.

All of that together makes for what we have now.

Reactions: ufo33
I have told my friends that this team lacks an emotional leader. All of them are amazingly stoic. Forget about his playing ability but put Quinn Buckner's leadership on this team and it would be an entirely different team IMO. Quinn wasn't afraid to get into players and them listened.
Exactly.

Notice the lack of leadership from Juwan, Davis or Green? Only other player with any seniority is McBob - and he's a walk-on. Nobody is demanding respect for the TEAM - regardless of how you may feel about a teammate.

Much better coach. Too bad this season was derailed by injuries. Got to trust the process. Archie has only had 1 recruiting class.

The goal is for the coach to be elite. You know that, so I have no clue why you want to debate semantics.

Thanks for answering the question. I disagree. Archie has been terrible and it’s backed up by his pathetic record (or slightly above average). Don’t set the standards to high.

RMK called him a good coach. Do you think he knows what he is talking about?

Do you think RMK has ever been wrong before?
Also, you really think Knight would publically state he isn’t a good coach? Also, what exactly does good mean? Good enough to national titles? Or good enough win A-10 titles?

To answer your question, I don’t put much stock in public statements like Knights. I did like reading it when we hired Archie.

The goal is for the coach to be elite. You know that, so I have no clue why you want to debate semantics.

Thanks for answering the question. I disagree. Archie has been terrible and it’s backed up by his pathetic record (or slightly above average). Don’t set the standards to high.

Nothing wrong with high standards as long as they are balanced by taking into account things which are outside of a coaches power to do anything about.

Worst I've ever seen--never once did he try to slow them down and stop their idiotic 3's tossups.

Do you think RMK has ever been wrong before?
Also, you really think Knight would publically state he isn’t a good coach? Also, what exactly does good mean? Good enough to national titles? Or good enough win A-10 titles?

To answer your question, I don’t put much stock in public statements like Knights. I did like reading it when we hired Archie.

Sure he has been wrong about many things but whether a guy could coach or not probably isn't one of them. He said the guy could coach and that many coaches couldn't. Says a lot to me.

Here is the exact quote,

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

That still doesn't mean Archie is going to be "THE GUY" to lead us back to the promise land but it is a good place to start.

Nothing wrong with high standards as long as they are balanced by taking into account things which are outside of a coaches power to do anything about.

I agree with that. I just think we should still be around 16-8 even with the injuries and Archie not having a full roster of his recruits. That’s why I’ve been highly critically of him.

If Louisville fans are on a par with IU fans they should be screaming for Chris Mack to be fired immediately. After all, his team lost to IU when he was apparently out coached by Archie Miller, and he presided over a team that gave up a 23 point lead to Duke in a home game. Obviously Mack can't coach at this level.

Well...Indiana was 12-2 before the downturn. Was that terrible coaching?
Did terrible coaching get him hired in the first place?
You think he suddenly forgot how to coach from Dec. 2018 to Jan. 2019...?

Or...maybe there's more at play here than just "terrible coaching"...

highs around that time...
12-2
14th Sagarin
24th kenpom
19th NET
19th rated defense
27th rated offense ..

top 8 EFG
top 4 2FG
top 20 3pt def

Apparently he forgot how to coach in 2 weeks .. must have had a concussion, right?

These complainers are mostly just butthurt fans .. and can't see anything past their butthurt or have a personal dislike of Miller.

It's the reason all their posts are subjective and rarely supported by any reasoning, and if a person is reasonanble about it, they're now on the other team. Stupid fan bullsh&t

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
Most of the really good coaches start at that level or lower so you give it time before making a judgment on his coaching ability at this level.

Not really.........but would be open to him being a good coach who has mishandled/misjudged the very difficult Smith & Green problem.

If Louisville fans are on a par with IU fans they should be screaming for Chris Mack to be fired immediately. After all, his team lost to IU when he was apparently out coached by Archie Miller, and he presided over a team that gave up a 23 point lead to Duke in a home game. Obviously Mack can't coach at this level.

Yes, that's exactly the same as losing 10 of his last 11 games.....really dumb.

We,I should say Fred hired Tom Allen??? OOPS there goes your theory.

YEa you're full on knowledge "IU would never hire a bad coach" LMAO

Why did you put "IU would never hire a bad coach" in parenthesis...?
That's not what I posted.

I posted, "Did terrible coaching get him hired in the first place?"
You see, that's how quotations work and what parenthesis are used for.

To compare the hiring of Archie Miller, who had an established track record of success as a head coach at a previous job, with the hiring of Tom Allen, who had never been a college head coach until he became one at Indiana, in an entirely different sport, while misquoting me in the process, makes you an utter and complete fool.

If you're going to continue to whine and be this effing stupid when you post, again, stop immediately. For the sake of everyone else on this board.

How did IU beat that team?
Marquette is the real puzzler to me. They are an EXCELLENT team. I almost wish we'd play again, I like the way they play & I'd like to see them go far in the tourney. Pretty much all of the Big East ball that I watch is good ball.

Why did you put "IU would never hire a bad coach" in parenthesis...?
That's not what I posted.

I posted, "Did terrible coaching get him hired in the first place?"
You see, that's how quotations work and what parenthesis are used for.

To compare the hiring of Archie Miller, who had an established track record of success as a head coach at a previous job, with the hiring of Tom Allen, who had never been a college head coach until he became one at Indiana, in an entirely different sport, while misquoting me in the process, makes you an utter and complete fool.

If you're going to continue to whine and be this effing stupid when you post, again, stop immediately. For the sake of everyone else on this board.
YOu said if Archie were a terrible coach we wouldn't have hired him. Meaning IU wouldn't ever hire a terrible coach, god you are dumb.

A great coach doesn't let his team lose a 23 point lead in the last 9 minutes of a game either.

I wasn’t referring to the whole Mack debate. I only care about the guy we got and whether we are seeing signs to keep him? I just don’t see much effort and then holding kids accountable. Maybe that will change but so far the coaching leaves a lot to be desired.
Coach K lost a 16 point lead to Mike Davis in the 2002 tourney. This was an anomaly that great coaches are allowed. When it becomes a recurring consistent pattern, it’s a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT