ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville sanctions

Totally agree with DD. How the hell does Pitino still have a job? Tear down that banner Card fans. Corrupt program.
I don't know who DD is, but it's hard to understand why UL didn't either demand his resignation or fire him. Equally difficult to fathom why Pitino didn't resign and allow the University to move forward with a fresh start.

I don't think Pitino knew about the "entertainers" and there was no evidence that even suggested he did, but he hired the guy who was responsible, and he should've fallen on his sword as a result.

You would think IU would do better with something like this, but they hired a guy with an active NCAA file and then waited months to fire him after they knew he was lying to them and still violating the rules, so there's no room for sanctimony or indignation. It's also funny how many people slam Jurich after hoping IU would hire him several years ago. Short memories and hypocritical standards.

Totally agree with DD. How the hell does Pitino still have a job? Tear down that banner Card fans. Corrupt program.
It sounds like UL gets to decide if any ineligible player played on the Banner team and then will need to take the banner down if they say a player was ineligible.

This was more harsh than I expected. How Slick Rick is still employed though makes me happy that this is so harsh.

Interesting that ESPN still calls this an "alleged" scandal after there is documented admission of the "alleged" activity. Regardless of authentication of some specifics, the situation is nonetheless self evident overall and indeed a scandal.

Love those attorneys.

I don't know who DD is, but it's hard to understand why UL didn't either demand his resignation or fire him. Equally difficult to fathom why Pitino didn't resign and allow the University to move forward with a fresh start.

I don't think Pitino knew about the "entertainers" and there was no evidence that even suggested he did, but he hired the guy who was responsible, and he should've fallen on his sword as a result.

You would think IU would do better with something like this, but they hired a guy with an active NCAA file and then waited months to fire him after they knew he was lying to them and still violating the rules, so there's no room for sanctimony or indignation. It's also funny how many people slam Jurich after hoping IU would hire him several years ago. Short memories and hypocritical standards.

It's pretty sweet you were able to so quickly turn this around as a slam on IU. Bravo!

You don't know who DD is? Sinner.

It's pretty sweet you were able to so quickly turn this around as a slam on IU. Bravo!

You don't know who DD is? Sinner.
It wasn't a slam on IU as much as a factual observation that most houses aren't nearly as tidy as their owner's claim. If you've really followed IU since '76, you would understand.

DD is Dan Dackich

I read the article on Pitino and UofL. I was appalled that the NCAA could not use the most basic investigatory tool, follow the money. Someone had to pay for the entertainment. I'm pretty sure the funds did not come out of McGee's pocket.

My conspiratorial speculation is the someone under the UofL umbrella, maybe even Pitino himself, paid for McGee's silence.

Another conspiracy theory: The reason Katina Powell was not charged with a crime is that Andre McGee would be deposed and possibly charged also. If McGee is deposed, the UofL house of cards could come tumbling down.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronron125
I read the article on Pitino and UofL. I was appalled that the NCAA could not use the most basic investigatory tool, follow the money. Someone had to pay for the entertainment. I'm pretty sure the funds did not come out of McGee's pocket.

My conspiratorial speculation is the someone under the UofL umbrella, maybe even Pitino himself, paid for McGee's silence.

Another conspiracy theory: The reason Katina Powell was not charged with a crime is that Andre McGee would be deposed and possibly charged also. If McGee is deposed, the UofL house of cards could come tumbling down.
So, do you think Pitino paid off the police and / or prosecutor to keep them from pursuing criminal charges? How big of a pay off do you think it was?

It wasn't a slam on IU as much as a factual observation that most houses aren't nearly as tidy as their owner's claim. If you've really followed IU since '76, you would understand.

You're comparing making too many phone calls, which is now legal, to hiring hookers?

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, ok.

So, do you think Pitino paid off the police and / or prosecutor to keep them from pursuing criminal charges? How big of a pay off do you think it was?

Nah! No payoff! Do I think it is possible that UofL interests put pressure on a prosecutor, who may even be a UofL alumnus? Sure! My take from reading Louisville publications is that UofL basketball is treated as a community asset. Remember what happened when the Lexington Herald Leader exposed corruption in UK basketball years ago? The local denizens turned on and denounced the newspaper.

My question to you is what theory explains why Katina Powell was not charged for a felony to which she confessed in a published book? Who stands to gain? Answer: Andre McGee and UofL basketball.

Why does there need to be a "pay-off"? They could be fans and just look the other way. Happens all the time. Or, their boss is and tells them to ignore it.

Nah! No payoff! Do I think it is possible that UofL interests put pressure on a prosecutor, who may even be a UofL alumnus? Sure! My take from reading Louisville publications is that UofL basketball is treated as a community asset. Remember what happened when the Lexington Herald Leader exposed corruption in UK basketball years ago? The local denizens turned on and denounced the newspaper.

My question to you is what theory explains why Katina Powell was not charged for a felony to which she confessed in a published book? Who stands to gain? Answer: Andre McGee and UofL basketball.
It was a felony? And admitting to it in a book is different than charging someone, going through discovery, finding witnesses, seating jurors, and proving a case. Of petty ante prostitution. That's way, way at the bottom of priorities for a public prosecutor with limited resources and an exploding docket of cases.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Why does there need to be a "pay-off"? They could be fans and just look the other way. Happens all the time. Or, their boss is and tells them to ignore it.
Lol. Conspiracy theories are fun and funny to consider but, since there's no proof and nothing but wacko theories, they never stand a chance.

Reactions: hobodandee
Lol. Conspiracy theories are fun and funny to consider but, since there's no proof and nothing but wacko theories, they never stand a chance.

Not wacko at all.

Heck, look at Baylor and other schools that look the other way when women are raped. Cops and higher ups knew abut those too. Or are you so naive you still believe in the Easter Bunny too?

Not wacko at all.

Heck, look at Baylor and other schools that look the other way when women are raped. Cops and higher ups knew abut those too. Or are you so naive you still believe in the Easter Bunny too?
All of those things regarding Baylor were unearthed as part of a comprehensive investigation. A similar deep dive at Louisville turned up none of the wacko stuff you're alleging. Not one thing. So keep going with those crazy conspiracy theories, even if you have no proof or thought behind them. I'm sure they'll take you far.

All of those things regarding Baylor were unearthed as part of a comprehensive investigation. A similar deep dive at Louisville turned up none of the wacko stuff you're alleging. Not one thing. So keep going with those crazy conspiracy theories, even if you have no proof or thought behind them. I'm sure they'll take you far.

How do you know there was a "deep dive"? Because they said so? LOL!!

So, do you wait up at night hoping to see Mr. Cottontail leave you some candy?

Hate to break it to ya, but history is FILLED with "crazy conspiracy theories" that actually were true.

Go to UofL and Rick P will turn you boy into a man the 1st night....pick your girl. Basically it doesn't matter if Rick knew or not...a lot of people did.

If my son was under aged and they allowed this to happen on a recruiting visit, they would be paying out big time...$10M+ easily in damages. Probably wouldn't even go to court..just settle.

But, if they were texting and call my son out of season....I can't image what would happen.....because that is so much worse.

Actually, "the most basic investigatory tool" is a subpoena (which lawyers can issue in an actual civil lawsuit but the NCAA can't issue in its investigations unless, coincidentally, it is a party in a connected lawsuit).

You're comparing making too many phone calls, which is now legal, to hiring hookers?

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, ok.
It's even more extreme than your example. As I recall, some of the "phone calls" in the IU case were to answering machines -- the telephone carrier records showed a, say, five second call had been placed because the answering machine picked up, but no one answered and no one left a message. The NCAA counted those too.

Also, can't remember if was the IU/Sampson case but there was a case with Div-I caliber twin brothers in high school and the NCAA took the position against some school that each phone call counted as two phone calls.

Imagine that -- "protecting" a high school kid against too many phone calls. Anyone think a parent of a top prospect (say, Lavar Ball) protects his kid against too many phone calls ?

How do you know there was a "deep dive"? Because they said so? LOL!!

So, do you wait up at night hoping to see Mr. Cottontail leave you some candy?

Hate to break it to ya, but history is FILLED with "crazy conspiracy theories" that actually were true.
Do you think think the NCAA and Chuck Smrt just make it up as they go? Are you as uninformed as you appear?

Go to UofL and Rick P will turn you boy into a man the 1st night....pick your girl. Basically it doesn't matter if Rick knew or not...a lot of people did.

If my son was under aged and they allowed this to happen on a recruiting visit, they would be paying out big time...$10M+ easily in damages. Probably wouldn't even go to court..just settle.

But, if they were texting and call my son out of season....I can't image what would happen.....because that is so much worse.

Were any of these recruits under 18?

Last edited:

Also...the stories had to be leaking out through the players and students...even if the asst coaches did this entirely on their own, with all that cash, in secret which I don't believe for a nanosecond. Hell, an old writer in Indy heard about it.

If Slick Rick didn't know...this is the most astronomical case of lack of institutional control outside of Happy Valley.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT