ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville is boarding up buildings and fencing off downtown

go walk the streets with them I know a lot of cops , I wouldn't do that job for a million dollars a year
I would, I would do just as most should let the dumb shit happen to dumb people and then mop up the mess. Where cops get into trouble in my opinion is when they try to be or are proactive. I would just be reactive once the dust has settled.

Basically I would minimize my risk at all accounts or in layman terms I would be a crappy cop. lol

I don't have a problem with the officer's attitude, in fact, I completely get where he is coming from. Most politicians tend to run on that whole "tough on crime" thing. They are going to hire more police, we are going to put them in the high crime areas, and we are going to lower that crime rate. That is what most voters want...even in the areas that are more heavily policed. So the politicians send ths police out to do their thing and then abandon them whenever something goes awry. In this case, this guy is told to go out and shut down a house that a known drug dealer was prone to hang out in. A house owned by a lady who kept dropping large amounts of cash to bail this asshole out whenever the cops would do the job they were asked and put him in jail. They show up and do the no knock (something that I think needs revisited but it is an allowed tactic at this time), they get shot at, and they return fire. Then the same people asking them to go out and do this stuff for votes throw them under the bus as racist police and all that.

I would not take $100k a year to be a cop in any of our larger population centers (and I am not talking New York...I mean Evansville, Ft. Wayne type places and larger) because you are expected to be a bullet magnet for repeat offenders who keep getting let back into the populace as their crimes become increasingly more dangerous.

The police you are going to get after this are those who feel they don't have many other options or those who like the thrill of the power or the thrill of the action. And in the short term, that uptick in murder rates since the beginning of the summer is going to remain an uptick because for cops, it is not worth policing a community that will ruin your life because you shot one of their people that has been terrorizing them. This is the same thing that was kind of a failure in Iraq and Afghanistan. There is basically a group of domestic terrorists that is mixed in with good people, but sometimes those terrorists are the good people's son, nephew, friend of the family, etc. So while they want you to deal with those other bad guys, they get pissed when you deal with one of their own.
You're completely correct who would want to be an officer? Crappy pay, crappy hours and many times they are "deemed" the bad guy on anything that doesn't go the way of the perpetrator. I have had several really close friends that were cops in our community that did their 20 years and got out and all were under the age of 45 and ZERO regret their decision. lol

The one's who stay IMO do so because they have not set themselves up to get out after 20 (nothing to fall back on) or they have a easy job (desk). Patrol officers have to be nuts to do that job in the first place.

I would not take $100k a year to be a cop in any of our larger population centers (and I am not talking New York...I mean Evansville, Ft. Wayne type places and larger) because you are expected to be a bullet magnet for repeat offenders who keep getting let back into the populace as their crimes become increasingly more dangerous.

That's a good thing because I support compensating police officers better to attract more capable candidates and to return to the protect and serve aesthetic that you'd be incapable of upholding.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT