ADVERTISEMENT

Lost Franklin Brunk and Hunter , Gained Koop Durr and Johnson

So Franklin was one of the best players on a team that sucked. Doesn't say much for him.

BTW, Justin Smith wasn't lighting things up at Arkansas. Just about the same stats he had while playing at IU.

This team will be better by simple subtraction - getting rid of some dead wood.
That’s what people said about losing Smith, and it obviously didn’t turn out to be the case. Franklin was one of our best players last year. Suggesting we’ll be better because he’s gone really makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm not sure we really came out of the portal better off, But with a new coach and all the uncertainty I think Woodson did the best he could and Bates was a huge late addition.
I’d say we did damn well in the portal. Got 3 very good players and a solid role player with potential. The skill set of those players appears to be a good fit to what Woodson wants to do. It’s tough to see how we would have done much better.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
For the record, coming out of high school,

Kopp #115
Johnson #232
Durr #300

Articles say Durr was the best front court player for USF and he rebounded well. I would guess he and Duncomb give significant depth to Race and Trayce.

Kopp is a half decent outside shooter and that is what he is needed for.

A lot depends on what IU gets from the many new and returning guards and how they adapt at both ends to a whole new style of play.

I really hope the freshmen make strides and I hope Bates is as good as advertised.

He scored 1000 points in the Big Ten. I don't think there is any argument against him being a 'D1 player".
Agree 1000 points should qualify as a D1 player.
I think the issue with some of us was that we needed someone to step up and carry the team, and that was not Al. We likely put too much expectation (or hope) on him.

I think Kopp will give us a lot more than Hunter and Xavier gives us the playmaker we need. Durr seems a better fit since Brunk left probably because he thought he wasn't going to fit with Woodson's new scheme. Throw in Bates and Stewart and you have a new IU team that can get a fresh start with a new coaching staff. My guess is this team will look and play nothing like the last few years. And that is a reallly good thing.
I agree. I expect the team to look different and play harder.

Durr > Brunk
Kopp > Hunter
Bates,XJohnson > Franklin
PStewart > Durham
Plus top 60 C Duncomb

New additions > players that left
You are leaving out the most important comparison yet...

CMW>CAM ??

If so, then the rest falls into place. I love the optimism ( it's been a while since there was much of that floating around here- and even then- it was misguided). But still a little gun shy to be making bold predictions in May. We'll know by Jan 15 2022 once we're neck-deep into the B1G season.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
we have a lot of all Americans till they put the uniform on
Kopp was #66 per 24/7. So we can see that he proved himself a good player at Northwestern And there is a big difference between a HS recruit and 3 year P5 players such is the case with XJ and Kopp. So I don’t care what they were ranked out of HS they have proven themselves better than their HS rankings. The only thing that I was hoping was that Hunter would get his mojo back and he would be a stud. But his confidence was gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT