ADVERTISEMENT

Lost Franklin Brunk and Hunter , Gained Koop Durr and Johnson

I'm not sure we really came out of the portal better off, But with a new coach and all the uncertainty I think Woodson did the best he could and Bates was a huge late addition.
well, 1) I think these guys fit what this staff wants, MUCH better and 2) I think XJ, Kopp and Durr would beat Franklin, Hunter and Brunk in a game of 3 on 3 seven out of ten times, so I think we got better talentwise, but moreso, "fit" wise.

I'm not sure we really came out of the portal better off, But with a new coach and all the uncertainty I think Woodson did the best he could and Bates was a huge late addition.
Hard to take you serious when you spell a players name wrong. I actually think we are better. Kopp is an upgrade to Hunter. Durr will give us better serviceable minutes over Brunk. We needed shooting and I think Johnson and Franklin are a wash at this point. Hated to see him go.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I think taken in totality, IU had a good “transfer season” this spring.

If you just compare the kids that left versus the 3 transfers we got...I’d say ita probably a push, maybe actually a slight down turn. Really though, I think we’re replacing the talent that left (Durham, Franklin, Brunk, and Hunter), with a similar amount of talent coming in. It’s just different. XJ is a much more aggressive and assertive guard than either Al or Armaan. Probably not as good in some areas. But his attacking mentality will be of benefit I think. Kopp has the potential to be an upgrade over Hunter. But they likely accomplish similar things in the end. Durr wins out over Brunk probably if he’s healthy and can provide solid, reliable post depth minutes. But losing Al and Armaan was a blow. Hard to see it since we were so average with those guys. But with a new coach, I think those two would have been very valuable to our success.

Where we really won the transfer season was all the guys that stayed. We could have, and many other schools did, lose a lot of players with the new rule this year. TJD, Race, Kristian, Jordan, etc. all returning was a big deal.

Franklin was a hit..Overall..Indiana gets the win ! Hard to think this team will fold the last 8 minutes every game....

If you just compare the kids that left versus the 3 transfers we got...I’d say ita probably a push, maybe actually a slight down turn. Really though, I think we’re replacing the talent that left (Durham, Franklin, Brunk, and Hunter), with a similar amount of talent coming in. It’s just different. XJ is a much more aggressive and assertive guard than either Al or Armaan. Probably not as good in some areas. But his attacking mentality will be of benefit I think. Kopp has the potential to be an upgrade over Hunter. But they likely accomplish similar things in the end. Durr wins out over Brunk probably if he’s healthy and can provide solid, reliable post depth minutes. But losing Al and Armaan was a blow. Hard to see it since we were so average with those guys. But with a new coach, I think those two would have been very valuable to our success.

Where we really won the transfer season was all the guys that stayed. We could have, and many other schools did, lose a lot of players with the new rule this year. TJD, Race, Kristian, Jordan, etc. all returning was a big deal.
It’s not incredibly nice to say, but I think losing Al was a good thing. Replacement or not. Just never saw him as a D1 player.

well, 1) I think these guys fit what this staff wants, MUCH better and 2) I think XJ, Kopp and Durr would beat Franklin, Hunter and Brunk in a game of 3 on 3 seven out of ten times, so I think we got better talentwise, but moreso, "fit" wise.
I don't think losing Franklin is an upgrade for IU . I felt he was one of our better all round players , and the one player I really hoped would stay . I think Kopp is an upgrade , and Durr is a wash compared to Brunk . Of course I haven't seen Durr play so that is still a question to be answered .

Reactions: Seyton
Durr is more mobile than Brunk. OSU wasted a schollie, Franklin is the only one that I would agree with but getting Bates far outweighs him. Hunter,while I liked him just was not the same
as he was in HS. Kopp will go all out. Not all Indiana kids are cut out to be Hoosiers. Brunk was one of them. I hope Franklin succeeds at UVA. Durr will help at easing Duncomb onto the court . Addition by subtraction is how this new Hoosier look seems. Shooting and D should be way better. I just hope Race stays and improves as he has.

I think Woody has done a masterful job bringing in a very capable staff of great assistants that can recruit and coach the game very well...

The way they all went out and rounded the type of players that really want to be here to build something very special... This coming season is going to be fun to watch again... Great job to the entire program!!!

I think Kopp will give us a lot more than Hunter and Xavier gives us the playmaker we need. Durr seems a better fit since Brunk left probably because he thought he wasn't going to fit with Woodson's new scheme. Throw in Bates and Stewart and you have a new IU team that can get a fresh start with a new coaching staff. My guess is this team will look and play nothing like the last few years. And that is a reallly good thing.

Reactions: Seyton
I don't think losing Franklin is an upgrade for IU . I felt he was one of our better all round players , and the one player I really hoped would stay . I think Kopp is an upgrade , and Durr is a wash compared to Brunk . Of course I haven't seen Durr play so that is still a question to be answered .
I'd agree, I didn't want to lose Franklin, but the one player you really hoped would stay... not named TJD?

I have no idea what kind of player Durr is, but after the moves we made I think size and post depth was our biggest remaining weakness. You have no idea if he's a wash compared to Brunk, because you have no idea what kind of player Brunk will be after back surgery. But, he was gone, so it wasn't a matter of one vs the other, it's only a question of are we better with Durr or without him; Brunk was gone.

Of the players that played on the team last year, we lost Durham, Franklin, and Hunter.

However, we gained Parker Stewart, Xavier Johnson, Miller Kopp, Durr, Tamar Bates, and Logan Duncomb.

Bottom line is that we got significantly better from the team that was on the court last year.
Absolutely no way to know that, unless hype is all you care about or understand. People thought losing Justin Smith was good, and it wasn’t. Those same people thought Miller was a great coach who was turning us around, and he wasn’t. Hard to accept any “bottom line” proclamations from people like you who’ve been so wrong, so often.

I'd agree, I didn't want to lose Franklin, but the one player you really hoped would stay... not named TJD?

I have no idea what kind of player Durr is, but after the moves we made I think size and post depth was our biggest remaining weakness. You have no idea if he's a wash compared to Brunk, because you have no idea what kind of player Brunk will be after back surgery. But, he was gone, so it wasn't a matter of one vs the other, it's only a question of are we better with Durr or without him; Brunk was gone.
We'll find out how good Brunk is after his surgery, but it will be against us.

Absolutely no way to know that, unless hype is all you care about or understand. People thought losing Justin Smith was good, and it wasn’t. Those same people thought Miller was a great coach who was turning us around, and he wasn’t. Hard to accept any “bottom line” proclamations from people like you who’ve been so wrong, so often.
Big day for you, Ordy. There are enough posts on the board that you can get your troll game going again. It needs some work though.

Reactions: Pelkowski
Big day for you, Ordy. There are enough posts on the board that you can get your troll game going again. It needs some work though.
Certainly a better effort from you than trying to rely on your basketball knowledge, since that makes you look like a fool. Leave the IU hoops talk to those of us who actually know something about the program. After all, you thought Miller was great. Go away troll. You don’t belong here.

• Haha
Reactions: TrojanFan004
I don't think I agree with that, talentwise I think we lost more than we gained Franklin has a chance to be really good the next 2 years

Durr is more mobile than Brunk. OSU wasted a schollie, Franklin is the only one that I would agree with but getting Bates far outweighs him. Hunter,while I liked him just was not the same
as he was in HS. Kopp will go all out. Not all Indiana kids are cut out to be Hoosiers. Brunk was one of them. I hope Franklin succeeds at UVA. Durr will help at easing Duncomb onto the court . Addition by subtraction is how this new Hoosier look seems. Shooting and D should be way better. I just hope Race stays and improves as he has.
3 best shooters last year were franklin AL and hunter I don't think its a given that shooting will be better, I hope the hell it is but I want to see it 1st

Armaan is the only guy I'm sorry to see leave. Brunk is an Indiana guy and a good guy, but he's not doing anybody any good on the bench with injuries. Jerome has not been the player I thought he would be, possibly due to injuries, and he was running out of time. Al was a bench/role player at best: good kid, but not a big loss.

The staff has done a good job of getting a roster together and recruiting. I'm excited to see how this team progresses and what they can do on the court.

everyone is great until they play. overall I think the roster is improved but we still are not as talented as we need to be

Reactions: Birnk403
everyone is great until they play. overall I think the roster is improved but we still are not as talented as we need to be
Kopp, Miller, and Durr have all "played". Kopp and Miller have played major college basketball and performed better than Durham and Hunter. Brunk is more skilled offensively than Durr but not quite as mobile.

Last edited:
Kopp, Miller, and Durr have all "played". Kopp and Miller have played major college basketball and performed better than Durham and Hunter. Brunk is more skilled offensively than Durr but not quite has mobile.
I can’t wait to see what Kopp and Miller can do together.

• Haha
Reactions: HillzHoozier
Kopp, Miller, and Durr have all "played". Kopp and Miller have played major college basketball and performed better than Durham and Hunter. Brunk is more skilled offensively than Durr but not quite as mobile.
Kopp and Johnson* Durrrr

what stats are you alluding to? I know stats are a good way to measure performance but not the end all be all, Franklin had a very productive season when healthy
He was poor inside the arc. He was a poor free throw shooter. He had a negative assist to turnover ratio. His offensive rating was 98 (anything below 100 is bad). His defense rating was 102 which means he had a negative rating overall.

Their next game together will be their first. We’re counting on multiple newcomers, including a new coach with zero time in the college game, to turn things around quickly. That’s an extremely tall task that history tells us usually doesn’t happen.

He was poor inside the arc. He was a poor free throw shooter. He had a negative assist to turnover ratio. His offensive rating was 98 (anything below 100 is bad). His defense rating was 102 which means he had a negative rating overall.
Yet, when healthy, he was one of our best players, and he would’ve been a sure fire starter had he returned. Just like Justin Smith would’ve been a year ago.

It’s not incredibly nice to say, but I think losing Al was a good thing. Replacement or not. Just never saw him as a D1 player.
Sounds like you need to go watch some D2 basketball. Al isn’t a great Big Ten player but he’s definitely D1 caliber.

Reactions: speroni
where do you get these numbers? who statistically were our better players last year?

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Ultimately, this is all crazy talk. The thing that matters most is team chemistry and last years team had very little. Of course, we don’t know how this current team is going to gel, but I like everything I’m hearing from the coaches to the water boy. Everyone just seems a lot more positive and the players seem to be genuinely excited about the possibilities of this team.

3 best shooters last year were franklin AL and hunter I don't think its a given that shooting will be better, I hope the hell it is but I want to see it 1st
And with these guys leading the way, we went 12-15.

Johnson, Stewart and Kopp are all proven scorers. Bates looks damn good. You gotta believe we'll be scoring more than 20 points a half with this lineup.

I don't think Franklin was going to be the superstar everyone thinks he'd be. Al had a nice run for four years, wasn't going to get any better so time to move on. Hunter was never going to be the player he was coming out of high school, so nice to get that scolly back. I liked Brunk's high motor, and he had some nice moments around the basket, but back surgery can change a player, and I'd rather have the true post 7 footer for the next couple of years than him for one more.

I think coach Woodson has upgraded this team significantly and addressed a lot of weaknesses. We'll surely be putting more points on the board, and with better FT shooting that should translate to a lot more wins.,

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Yet, when healthy, he was one of our best players, and he would’ve been a sure fire starter had he returned. Just like Justin Smith would’ve been a year ago.
So Franklin was one of the best players on a team that sucked. Doesn't say much for him.

BTW, Justin Smith wasn't lighting things up at Arkansas. Just about the same stats he had while playing at IU.

This team will be better by simple subtraction - getting rid of some dead wood.

Reactions: smitty3725
I agree, not the nicest thing to say. But I also agree his leaving will be an upgrade.
By all accounts a good person and I wish him well.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I had high hopes for Hunter. But with his mid season suspension and now willingness to leave, I am fine with his exit.
Good luck to you on your new team.

ADVERTISEMENT