ADVERTISEMENT

Lost another good man

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My wife and I hadn't been on many fun trips since my mom died in December. Win or lose we were going to enjoy the IU football game together as my son couldn't go to the game. We had a good time and returned home late. She went to bed and I stayed up as I can't sleep after driving home.

I heard her running toward the stairs and knew something was wrong. Her brother had collapsed and was on the way to the ER. He was not breathing despite CPR beginning almost immediately at home. He had been happy and having fun playing cards with his wife, daughter, and a sister in law. The game had ended and the sister in law hadn't left yet when he went down.

Rick was an avid IU supporter like me. He loved all sports and was a very good golfer like his dad. He was proud that someone in the last 3 generations in the family had attended IU (His grandpa, Aunt, and my wife). Like me, our majors led us to other schools, but we had been IU fans since we could sit in front of a TV to watch a basketball game with our fathers.

He wasn't a regular poster on these boards, but I know he lurked around and quoted some of the things I had read on here. He was only 56. He was 2 years older than me and we have known each other since we attended elementary school. My wife was in my kindergarten class and I knew her big brother during those early years as well or better than I knew her. We became the best of friends the moment my wife and I started dating. We would sit and talk about sports during the time I was supposed to be on a date with my wife.

I will miss our monthly dinners at restaurants located between us. He wanted to make sure we got together after their parents passed away. We found some pretty good places off the beaten path. We missed this month because he had taken his wife to Las Vegas, but we were together on my birthday at Sandy's Pizza in Fort Branch.

As my son said, " He got it". He knew what was important. Family. My son also pointed out that his favorite baseball team, the Braves, clinched a spot in the playoffs on the day he died. Tiger also won. RIP RICHARD the 3rd. We lost a great and knowledgeable supporter of IU.

My wife and I hadn't been on many fun trips since my mom died in December. Win or lose we were going to enjoy the IU football game together as my son couldn't go to the game. We had a good time and returned home late. She went to bed and I stayed up as I can't sleep after driving home.

I heard her running toward the stairs and knew something was wrong. Her brother had collapsed and was on the way to the ER. He was not breathing despite CPR beginning almost immediately at home. He had been happy and having fun playing cards with his wife, daughter, and a sister in law. The game had ended and the sister in law hadn't left yet when he went down.

Rick was an avid IU supporter like me. He loved all sports and was a very good golfer like his dad. He was proud that someone in the last 3 generations in the family had attended IU (His grandpa, Aunt, and my wife). Like me, our majors led us to other schools, but we had been IU fans since we could sit in front of a TV to watch a basketball game with our fathers.

He wasn't a regular poster on these boards, but I know he lurked around and quoted some of the things I had read on here. He was only 56. He was 2 years older than me and we have known each other since we attended elementary school. My wife was in my kindergarten class and I knew her big brother during those early years as well or better than I knew her. We became the best of friends the moment my wife and I started dating. We would sit and talk about sports during the time I was supposed to be on a date with my wife.

I will miss our monthly dinners at restaurants located between us. He wanted to make sure we got together after their parents passed away. We found some pretty good places off the beaten path. We missed this month because he had taken his wife to Las Vegas, but we were together on my birthday at Sandy's Pizza in Fort Branch.

As my son said, " He got it". He knew what was important. Family. My son also pointed out that his favorite baseball team, the Braves, clinched a spot in the playoffs on the day he died. Tiger also won. RIP RICHARD the 3rd. We lost a great and knowledgeable supporter of IU.

Sorry Bud. Sometimes life reminds us this is just a message board and fandom and not real life. I hope it's a respite for you in the coming weeks. Sorry for your and your family's loss.

May you and your family hang in there and comfort one another. May the God of comfort also be with you. When we get older it does seem like we attend more funerals. My Dad had two brothers who died within 8 months of each other not too long ago. I ministered at one of the brother's funeral, but the other one was in North Carolina. Before he died I asked him how he liked living in NC and he said, "not many Hoosier fans here." He like Rick was all in on IU.

Reactions: iubud

Hope your family heals quickly, and enjoys the best memories.

Thanks everyone! Sorry to make a post like this, but it helps me to write about Rick because it is hard to talk about him to others. His life ended too soon and I just wanted others to know about someone that is like many of us.

Thanks everyone! Sorry to make a post like this, but it helps me to write about Rick because it is hard to talk about him to others. His life ended too soon and I just wanted others to know about someone that is like many of us.

The community is what makes this a good place. We can read sports info anywhere.

Tell some more stories about Rick.

Reactions: td75

So sorry for you and your family. A reminder to us all to live life a day at a time and as if it might be your last. Easy to say but hard to do. Hang in there Bud.

Reactions: iubud and kkott
The community is what makes this a good place. We can read sports info anywhere.

Tell some more stories about Rick.
One of his favorite saying was, "There can only be one #1. If there are two, that would be 11".

My first Thanksgiving at their house included their mom and dad arguing about how to do something in the kitchen. After a while they started cussing at each other and I was trying to pretend I didn't hear anything. Rick was sitting on the couch and turned to me and said, "Happy Thanksgiving!" I busted out laughing so hard my future in laws thought I was laughing at them. He always had perfect timing.

After my son gave a some memories of his uncle and I spoke about my first Thanksgiving with his family, the service ended for my Brother in Law.

As the pastor walked over to where he was resting, the Indiana fight song began to play.

One of my friends that supports Purdue has exchanged frequent jabs with Rick about the rivalry for years. I received a message after the service. "I guess Rick got the last word on our back and forth comments".

ADVERTISEMENT