ADVERTISEMENT

Losing Ramsey Hurts Bad

Yes, because Fitzgerald dropped a pick six and Whop dropped a sure touchdown. Left two touchdowns on the field and then our D let us down at the end of the game.
Every game has plays like that. Again, 20 for 20 is impressive, but a win would have been more impressive.

Quick question is PR has PR graduated or will he graduate in the spring? Is he still enrolled at IU for the spring semester?

Unless he can get into a school and participate in spring drills it could be a tough transition to pick up a new offense unless he is considering following CKD to Fresno St. and be running the same offense.

Quick question is PR has PR graduated or will he graduate in the spring? Is he still enrolled at IU for the spring semester?

Unless he can get into a school and participate in spring drills it could be a tough transition to pick up a new offense unless he is considering following CKD to Fresno St. and be running the same offense.
I've read reports on this site indicating that PR Is student-teaching right now, and so he is enrolled at IU.

Nice post, BTW.

20 for 20 was nice, but didn't we lose that game to a pretty average MSU team?
Uh, let's put the blame there where it belongs. Believe a special teams lapse if I recall, and then for sure, defense that could not stop them, including the final drive where MSU marched 80 yards to go ahead after Penix put them up for the win in the 4th. Have some common sense on a post like this!

Guess if you want to play that game , OSU had Gunnar Hoak behind Justin Fields , I would call that thin. Get used to it, it is the world of NCAA football now. The “If I’m not starting, I’m transferring” world is upon us, it will be very hard in the future to have multiple “proven” players at any position , let alone QB. Frankly, I’m pleased to have 2 four star kids in our stable, better than most QB rooms.

You made a good point for what I was stating about Peyton Ramsey. Most big programs don't necessarily have great QB depth. I would be curious to see how many 5 star QB's are out there on all the rosters. 4-7 total combined? Most teams use 4 and 3 star QB's. Hence the reason a guy like Peyton who proved himself with less talent than the big programs likely have, that he could step into a large program if that was the direction he wanted to go. I lean towards him having enjoyed his time with DeBoer and going to Fresno but who knows.

With that said, I think the concern people are referring to isn't just a normal injury cycle for a player. This is someone who hasn't played more than what....2 consecutive games without getting injured? Maybe 3? Vegas would say we are more likely to finish the season without him than with him. So I think that is where the concern is. It's not just about a QB getting injured, its the likelihood that the QB will be injured that people fear. No one was concerned about Ramsey getting hurt in the same capacity as people are Penix.

All we can do is hope Mike comes back stronger and is able to withstand the injury bug. He's shown there should be some talent but now the corniest cliche plays well here....the best ability is availability.

You made a good point for what I was stating about Peyton Ramsey. Most big programs don't necessarily have great QB depth. I would be curious to see how many 5 star QB's are out there on all the rosters. 4-7 total combined? Most teams use 4 and 3 star QB's. Hence the reason a guy like Peyton who proved himself with less talent than the big programs likely have, that he could step into a large program if that was the direction he wanted to go. I lean towards him having enjoyed his time with DeBoer and going to Fresno but who knows.

With that said, I think the concern people are referring to isn't just a normal injury cycle for a player. This is someone who hasn't played more than what....2 consecutive games without getting injured? Maybe 3? Vegas would say we are more likely to finish the season without him than with him. So I think that is where the concern is. It's not just about a QB getting injured, its the likelihood that the QB will be injured that people fear. No one was concerned about Ramsey getting hurt in the same capacity as people are Penix.

All we can do is hope Mike comes back stronger and is able to withstand the injury bug. He's shown there should be some talent but now the corniest cliche plays well here....the best ability is availability.

If I see any silver lining to MP's injury history (a non-contact ACL, concussion, sternoclavicular joint), is that they're somewhat "flukey" injuries. Like, I see those as better than a RB with a nagging ankle injury that never seems to heal.

If the rumor mill during the season about him having shoulder tendinitis was true, that's the kind of thing that would certainly make me much more nervous about him being "injury prone." But I'm not convinced that's necessarily what he was dealing with.

Guess if you want to play that game , OSU had Gunnar Hoak behind Justin Fields , I would call that thin. Get used to it, it is the world of NCAA football now. The “If I’m not starting, I’m transferring” world is upon us, it will be very hard in the future to have multiple “proven” players at any position , let alone QB. Frankly, I’m pleased to have 2 four star kids in our stable, better than most QB rooms.
You are right, and I, too, am glad we have two 4* kids in our QB room. However, we are still one injury (to an injury prone QB) away from trouble. That's thin. As for Ohio State, yeah. If Fields goes down, they never make it to the CFP. But such is life in college football today, you are right about that.

I can understand the frustration of Hoosier fans who have been disappointed for literally decades. I am one of you! However let’s look at this as the glass being half full. Peyton Ramsey is only exploring his options. This speaks volumes to the fact that there is depth at the quarterback position at Indiana. I don’t know if that sentence has been constructed in decades - if not longer. He would be foolish not to enter the portal. This does not mean that he is leaving. And don’t ask me for even the most remote explanation of what Cronk did. If I recall both tackles at Indiana before Cronk were first round draft picks in the NFL. But I wish him well as I’m sure everybody else does.

I would be surprised if Peyton Ramsey isn’t in a Hoosier uniform next season. However I am often quite wrong. But compared to the people who have bet against Coach Tom Allen from the beginning , I look like a god damn genius!
Is Ramsey still in school?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Uh, let's put the blame there where it belongs. Believe a special teams lapse if I recall, and then for sure, defense that could not stop them, including the final drive where MSU marched 80 yards to go ahead after Penix put them up for the win in the 4th. Have some common sense on a post like this!
We had plenty of chances to score in the first half and didn't.

Common sense is you play the whole game, not the final drive.

If you watch that game and think Penix was the problem for not winning, that's your call. I think if you read most assessments on the board after the game, most people were disappointed in the defense.
I made no judegement. I just said 20 for 20 is nice but we didn't win.

If you get excited about only stats, that's your issue.

No I was curious who you thought our multiple great QBs were? Serious question.

Wait.....I didn't quote you, unless you are also 82Hoosier....? Ha

Anyways, I can definitely respect the question. I said production and not greatest. People keep saying Peyton wasn't productive but they are selling the kid short. So if you are referring to production, let me know and I'll provide that list for you.

I will say, under DeBord, he wasn't the same player. The same could be said with Richard Lagow but I think we all agree that is on DeBord. Unfortunately DeBord set the foundation of who most thought Ramsey was but last year proved that was false.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Wait.....I didn't quote you, unless you are also 82Hoosier....? Ha

Anyways, I can definitely respect the question. I said production and not greatest. People keep saying Peyton wasn't productive but they are selling the kid short. So if you are referring to production, let me know and I'll provide that list for you.

I will say, under DeBord, he wasn't the same player. The same could be said with Richard Lagow but I think we all agree that is on DeBord. Unfortunately DeBord set the foundation of who most thought Ramsey was but last year proved that was false.

You said "IU had multiple great QBs. Top schools don't necessarily all have great QBs."

I wanted to know who you were referring to? I assume you were referring to PR and MP. I would agree, they were productive. But certainly neither one was great.

You said "IU had multiple great QBs. Top schools don't necessarily all have great QBs."

I wanted to know who you were referring to? I assume you were referring to PR and MP. I would agree, they were productive. But certainly neither one was great.

Is Justin Fields great in your opinion?

What team finished #1 in passing yards for the B1G this season by 247 yards? Indiana. I heard once that first place is pretty close to the top. :)

Last edited:
Is Justin Fields great in your opinion?

What team finished #1 in passing yards for the B1G this season by 247 yards? Indiana. I heard once that first place is pretty close to the top. :)

That's fine. I agree we have had very good QB play in 2019. No I wouldn't consider Justin great, but he is very good. I do think IU's QB play took a huge step forward this year. Prior to 2019, we have not had good QB play since Nate left. PR vastly improved. MP has the potential to be great.

That's fine. I agree we have had very good QB play in 2019. No I wouldn't consider Justin great, but he is very good. I do think IU's QB play took a huge step forward this year. Prior to 2019, we have not had good QB play since Nate left. PR vastly improved. MP has the potential to be great.
Correct. That improvement was due 100% to Deboer as OC and QB coach. The QB coach the prior two years returns as QB/OC. I hope the trend continues.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Correct. That improvement was due 100% to Deboer as OC and QB coach. The QB coach the prior two years returns as QB/OC. I hope the trend continues.

hate to say but your post kind of reads like “We could be going backwards with Sheridan (former QB coach prior to any improvement)

I’d Lomé to hope Sheridan was tutored and learned well under DeBoer and is goi g to work extra hard to show it was a good pick in face of some questioning the move. Hoping so!

I saw somewhere on Twitter that MSU has contacted him. Would hate if he went there especially since we play them at home this year. Here is the tweet.

Last edited:
Iowa does make sense
Iowa has what they think will be a good QB in Spencer Petras. He was a 4 star out of California, has Stanley's size and is supposed to have an equal to better arm then Stanley. Of course, he hasn't had much field time, so no one knows for sure, but having a good OL, WR's, TE and RB coming back I think they can let Petras get his feet wet, and I wouldn't see Kirk offering a QB who only has a year to play. So I don't think Indiana has to worry about Ramsey landing in Iowa City. If I were a gambling man, Northwestern would be the BiG school I would think would have Ramsey interest. Of course, Harbaugh is known for taking transfer QB's as well.

Last edited:
hate to say but your post kind of reads like “We could be going backwards with Sheridan (former QB coach prior to any improvement)

I’d Lomé to hope Sheridan was tutored and learned well under DeBoer and is goi g to work extra hard to show it was a good pick in face of some questioning the move. Hoping so!
People seem to forget that Ramsey entered last season as the top all time pass completion percentage leaders in IU history. I would say that is pretty impressive. But just as people on this board did want to give Ramsey any credit they still insist on not giving Sheridan and Deboard any credit for developing young quarterbacks and inexperienced skill guys.

People seem to forget that Ramsey entered last season as the top all time pass completion percentage leaders in IU history. I would say that is pretty impressive. But just as people on this board did want to give Ramsey any credit they still insist on not giving Sheridan and Deboard any credit for developing young quarterbacks and inexperienced skill guys.

9th completion %, 25th YPA, 81st in TDs, 12th fewest Ints, #31 PE nationally

Career-wise, of recent QBs, better than Chappell, not as good as Sudfeld, imo. Although Sudfeld's % was only 60.3%, he avg 1 more yd per attempt than PR, and had 61 TDs v. only 20 ints. Sudfeld had 700 fewer rush yds, but I don't remember his immobility resulting in a lot of sacks. He got rid of the ball quickly, although his OL was better than PR's. I'd also argue that Kellen Lewis was better, but that PR is #3 since ARE.

What surprised me was how well he matched up, when comparing his #s v. some of the old-timers like Schnell, Babe Laufenberg and Tim Clifford, even after adjusting for the changes in college passing stats from those days.

I could be wrong and wish zero ill will of Peyton, but I find it hard to believe he'll be guaranteed a starting QB slot at a program "way better" than IU. I'd actually like it if he were following DeBoer to Fresno St. To me that is a smaller school, weaker division and yet he could have a platform to shine potentially.

Given potential for injuries, I thought he'd stay, but per prior posts, seems like there was some fire to the prior "smoke" shared on board that Coach Ramsey perhaps didn't like way some things played out? Again, whoever doesn't think there is competition in college FB would seem to be naive, and I hardly think Coach Allen did a blatant head fake, lead him on, or outright lie. And it's hard to argue Penix isn't a serious talent. But it's also not like Ramsey didn't play a lot, including the bowl game, was revered and Coach Allen couldn't say enough good things about him.

In other words, if Ramsey needs or wants to be guaranteed the starting job, I just don't think that's the way it works. But do wish him nothing but good luck.

Looking forward, I also think Tuttle could be a gem still and this year was likely good for him from learning curve perspective, he did get on the field a few times and with another year in weight room and spring ball, and yes, no guarantees of Penix making it through whole season, he needs to be ready. And I bet the FR QB has some legit talent too, but hoping he RS's if not truly needed.

The dreams never die for a lot of these kids. I'm sure he wants a "near guarantee" on a starting spot, in a wide open offense, and a chance to be a day 3 flyer pick in the NFL draft after putting up big numbers.

Our backup is going to be a three year starter and Ramsey wouldn't have beat him out.

Ramsey is going somewhere where he knows the job is his for a season.

Lol A 3 year starter? You mean like Ramsey? Pretty sure Ramsey would be better than any other QB on your roster. And by that I mean for certain...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT