ADVERTISEMENT

Lori Lightfoot is flippin' crazy

Okay. Well, I'm just judging by what I see here. They've done a great job getting people vaccinated. I don't see anything "crazy" about her. I also think it's hilarious that Chicago is this boogeyman for every redneck in the US, when Orlando has a higher murder rate than Chicago. and when it isn't nearly as dangerous as many other major cities in the US.

We have 3 neighborhoods in Chicago that have awful gang activity: Garfield Park, Englewood, and Lawndale. No one who is visiting Chicago will probably venture into one of these neighborhoods. What's happening there is a tragedy but it says nothing about the VAST majority of Chicago which is perfectly safe.

Hit me up if you're in Chicago. I'll buy you 1-3 beers.
Since you're not worried about the murders in Chicago since you don't frequent those hoods, let's get your opinion on carjackings that frequently happen in the other vast majority of Chicago.

i don't think it is worse than saint louis. i think the mayors sound like twins tho and i again question if it's their policies that give rise to this stuff
We have more police per capita than any city in America. You can't stop gangsters in these areas from fighting each other.

What policies do you think need would stop gangs at war with each other?

We have more police per capita than any city in America. You can't stop gangsters in these areas from fighting each other.

What policies do you think need would stop gangs at war with each other?
chicago again is a fantastic city. in the summer almost unbeatable. i'd never choose to live there because i hate the cold - but i think it's telling that in a decade with such an amazing city it's not gaining population. people are moving to florida cities in droves. part of it is cheaper dirt, but part of it is also tax savings, safety, etc. and those are dem policies being called out.

my opinion on gangs. if cities can afford to subsidize stadiums they can afford to double and triple the police force. have them walking beats. far more community policing with the racial makeup of cops mirroring the neighborhoods they police. i'd stop incarcerating people over drug use charges and i'd do alternative sentencing. more drug courts. i'd end the local war on drugs outside of massive distribution. any and all gun charges would have massive bonds with the prosecutors forbidden from giving favorable plea deals. no early release either. if more jails are required to house them then build more jails.

No one said it was. Imagine walking the streets of Orlando at night. Much more dangerous than Chicago!
i think you just make things up doc. violent crime rate for chicago is 1-105 violent crime rate for orlando is 1-132. i'm checking out. enjoy the weather my friend.

Since you're not worried about the murders in Chicago since you don't frequent those hoods, let's get your opinion on carjackings that frequently happen in the other vast majority of Chicago.
I am concerned about the murders in those areas. I don't think many people visit those areas and I doubt if you did, anything would happen to you since you're probably not in a gang.

I'm not your monkey, so I'm not going to respond to every question about crime in Chicago.

Maybe it was a Trump problem

chicago again is a fantastic city. in the summer almost unbeatable. i'd never choose to live there because i hate the cold - but i think it's telling that in a decade with such an amazing city it's not gaining population. people are moving to florida cities in droves. part of it is cheaper dirt, but part of it is also tax savings, safety, etc. and those are dem policies being called out.

my opinion on gangs. if cities can afford to subsidize stadiums they can afford to double and triple the police force. have them walking beats. far more community policing with the racial makeup of cops mirroring the neighborhoods they police. i'd stop incarcerating people over drug use charges and i'd do alternative sentencing. more drug courts. i'd end the local war on drugs outside of massive distribution. any and all gun charges would have massive bonds with the prosecutors forbidden from giving favorable plea deals. no early release either. if more jails are required to house them then build more jails.
Chicago has lost 3,000 people in the last 10 years. Illinois is losing people, because who wants to live anywhere in the rest of Illinois?

Chicago has lost 3,000 people in the last 10 years. Illinois is losing people, because who wants to live anywhere in the rest of Illinois?
fla added 2.7 million people during that time. chicago should be adding people not losing given what a special city it is - again this isn't an attack on chicago/illinois it's a question of dem policies vs repub policies in states and cities.

I am concerned about the murders in those areas. I don't think many people visit those areas and I doubt if you did, anything would happen to you since you're probably not in a gang.

I'm not your monkey, so I'm not going to respond to every question about crime in Chicago.

Maybe it was a Trump problem

"i doubt if you did, anything would happen to you since you're probably not in a gang."

i wouldn't test that theory....

Reactions: Crayfish57
i think you just make things up doc. violent crime rate for chicago is 1-105 violent crime rate for orlando is 1-132. i'm checking out. enjoy the weather my friend.
You were talking about murders. Now it's violent crime? Okay.....

We'll look at those statistics. St. Louis is just behind Detroit at #2 for violent crimes. Chicago comes in at #31. 6 spots more dangerous than Indianapolis who comes in at #37.

fla added 2.7 million people during that time. chicago should be adding people not losing given what a special city it is - again this isn't an attack on chicago/illinois it's a question of dem policies vs repub policies in states and cities.

I see Morgan Stanley told their people to be back in the office by Labor Day. The CEO said they weren't going to pay premium NYC wages to people living elsewhere.

I looked, there was a poll of corporations that 70% planned to return to back in office. Some of the remaining 30% had not decided, so that number may go up.

In other words, I wonder what is going to happen this summer. Are people who left the cities going to have to go back? Or will they be happy with pay cuts to stay elsewhere?

You were talking about murders. Now it's violent crime? Okay.....

We'll look at those statistics. St. Louis is just behind Detroit at #2 for violent crimes. Chicago comes in at #31. 6 spots more dangerous than Indianapolis who comes in at #37.

you were talking about orlando. murder is violent crime.

saint louis again has 300,000 people. it's a tiny fraction of our 2.8 mil region. 2.5 million of us don't live in the city and that ranking is immaterial to us. again that doesn't seem to register with you.

I see Morgan Stanley told their people to be back in the office by Labor Day. The CEO said they weren't going to pay premium NYC wages to people living elsewhere.

I looked, there was a poll of corporations that 70% planned to return to back in office. Some of the remaining 30% had not decided, so that number may go up.

In other words, I wonder what is going to happen this summer. Are people who left the cities going to have to go back? Or will they be happy with pay cuts to stay elsewhere?

"goldman sachs goes all in on florida as wall street south" a bloomberg article from this week.

it's an interesting question marv. when you think of people leaving san fran/new york for texas and florida it's really a polar move. it's so strange to me. if you love the bay area are you going to love the sprawl of houston? the heat? if you love Manhattan are you really going to love the the strip malls and darkness of boca? and while real estate is different if you want a new 911 your drop in wages is going to impact the cost of certain fixed shit.

it'll be interesting to see how things go over the next year. my suspicion is quite a few people will move back - especially if there's a nasty fla hurricane season

I don't think 3,000 people is that much of a change in the last decade. Why is Miami losing population?

The fact is, you couldn't pay me to live in a state that has absolutely zero culture and anywhere away from the water is hillbilly heaven or transient from everywhere. Besides Miami, Florida is a wasteland.

you were talking about orlando. murder is violent crime.

saint louis again has 300,000 people. it's a tiny fraction of our 2.8 mil region. 2.5 million of us don't live in the city and that ranking is immaterial to us. again that doesn't seem to register with you.
You have a hard time with "per capita".

"goldman sachs goes all in on florida as wall street south" a bloomberg article from this week.

it's an interesting question marv. when you think of people leaving san fran/new york for texas and florida it's really a polar move. it's so strange to me. if you love the bay area are you going to love the sprawl of houston? the heat? if you love Manhattan are you really going to love the the strip malls and darkness of boca? and while real estate is different if you want a new 911 your drop in wages is going to impact the cost of certain fixed shit.

it'll be interesting to see how things go over the next year. my suspicion is quite a few people will move back - especially if there's a nasty fla hurricane season

With the heat/drought problems in the west, I'm not sure we want the population to go up anywhere in the west. I guess there are two ways of looking at it, this is an aberration and will go away or this is global warming so get used to it. But I hear Texas is having major issues with power. If it is global warming, who knows if people are going to want to stay there. I personally can't imagine living in Houston in the summer.

On the other hand, the two times I visited NYC in July I was not impressed with the steel canyons. It was hot.

I think global warming is real, so eventually everyone that moved south will come back. That western drought/heat wave is crazy. Reading about Lake Meade, it isn't likely but it may get too low to generate power in a year. There is a potential crisis brewing, I wonder who is working on it.

• Wow
Reactions: TommyCracker
You have a hard time with "per capita".
lmao you have a hard time with everything. the 300,000 people are what the crime stats are predicated on. that's a tiny fraction of the region where we all live. i don't know at this point a single person that lives within the city of 300,000. we live amongst the 2.2 million that don't share that crime rate.

I don't think 3,000 people is that much of a change in the last decade. Why is Miami losing population?

The fact is, you couldn't pay me to live in a state that has absolutely zero culture and anywhere away from the water is hillbilly heaven or transient from everywhere. Besides Miami, Florida is a wasteland.
lol those people eat outside for 12 months of the year and play golf and boat while you relish your 90 days of decent weather then back inside like a hermit for nine months looking at black ice. preferences...

With the heat/drought problems in the west, I'm not sure we want the population to go up anywhere in the west. I guess there are two ways of looking at it, this is an aberration and will go away or this is global warming so get used to it. But I hear Texas is having major issues with power. If it is global warming, who knows if people are going to want to stay there. I personally can't imagine living in Houston in the summer.

On the other hand, the two times I visited NYC in July I was not impressed with the steel canyons. It was hot.

I think global warming is real, so eventually everyone that moved south will come back. That western drought/heat wave is crazy. Reading about Lake Meade, it isn't likely but it may get too low to generate power in a year. There is a potential crisis brewing, I wonder who is working on it.
130 in death valley this weekend. insane! agree with you on climate etc. miami is looking at a 20 foot wall running through biscayne bay because of surge/rising seas.

Besides Miami, Florida is a wasteland.
I guess you haven't seen much of Florida. Miami traffic is terrible, by Florida standards. 90 miles north, Jupiter area, is less crowded, better beaches that are unspoiled and free to park, top bike trails, better restaurants. better diving, better entertainment venues, pristine parks, fabulous 12 month golfing and boating, low crime.

A lot of that is perhaps why about 100 of the world's pro golfers live in the area, when they could obviously live anywhere. Ditto football players, tennis players, entertainers, business executives, etc. 25% of the wealthiest Americans live at least part of the year in Palm Beach County.

viceroy hotel has a nice rooftop bar and the smallest hotel swimming pool in the country, wonder what they were thinking?

Okay. Well, I'm just judging by what I see here. They've done a great job getting people vaccinated. I don't see anything "crazy" about her. I also think it's hilarious that Chicago is this boogeyman for every redneck in the US, when Orlando has a higher murder rate than Chicago. and when it isn't nearly as dangerous as many other major cities in the US.

We have 3 neighborhoods in Chicago that have awful gang activity: Garfield Park, Englewood, and Lawndale. No one who is visiting Chicago will probably venture into one of these neighborhoods. What's happening there is a tragedy but it says nothing about the VAST majority of Chicago which is perfectly safe.

Chicago will always be my favorite city on earth. Nothing Lightfoot or any other mayor can do to change that.

I will do so, sir.

I guess you haven't seen much of Florida. Miami traffic is terrible, by Florida standards. 90 miles north, Jupiter area, is less crowded, better beaches that are unspoiled and free to park, top bike trails, better restaurants. better diving, better entertainment venues, pristine parks, fabulous 12 month golfing and boating, low crime.

A lot of that is perhaps why about 100 of the world's pro golfers live in the area, when they could obviously live anywhere. Ditto football players, tennis players, entertainers, business executives, etc. 25% of the wealthiest Americans live at least part of the year in Palm Beach County.
and that says nothing about the insanely wealthy foreigners who choose to live in pbc. and don't forget polo cap (wellington). cut straight across alligator alley same drill with naples - only much smaller.

Last edited:

I would think the more interesting question has to do with the “type” of person emigrating to or from Chicago. People with young kids leave cities for suburban schools. People tired of high taxes leave.

if that means lower income quintile folks start moving in and that’s causing the delta to only be 3k then that doesn’t bode well for the future of a city. Less income means less revenue for the city which means it’ll go to hell in a hand basket.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I would think the more interesting question has to do with the “type” of person emigrating to or from Chicago. People with young kids leave cities for suburban schools. People tired of high taxes leave.

if that means lower income quintile folks start moving in and that’s causing the delta to only be 3k then that doesn’t bode well for the future of a city. Less income means less revenue for the city which means it’ll go to hell in a hand basket.

for one state to lose 3,000 and another to gain nearly 3 million in the same period is remarkable. there has to be policy factors behind these numbers

Reactions: 76-1
Cmon Hoops, your implications here are silly. Wrigley has always been sold out if the Cubs are even semi competitive. Summer in Chicago has always been the best of any major city. Lightfoot has zero to do with that.

What did you expect from this idiot?

Reactions: Crayfish57

What about Gresham?
What about Back of the Yards?

Last edited:
I haven't seen the snowbird effect in these posts.

Meaning a lot of boomers, and there are a shit ton of them, are at the stage in life where you have different desires in the quality of life, which the southern states can definitely offer.

I'm personally getting there as my gf's dad retired from middle Michigan to on a golf course in Surprise, AZ. Myself being a twin cities guy that got pulled up here via a company....I'm tired of dealing with the shit of the winter so yeah, Arizona sounds pretty amazing (golf year round, no more shoveling, the low humidity makes my bones feel better, etc).

Anyway, I gotta believe there is a massive number of Boomers are getting the f out of cold weather climate, hot city night bar scenes, crowded traffic, higher crime threats, etc.

I hope to do so and I absolutely LOVE the Twin Cities.

Reactions: larsIU

Done a great job of vaccinating people??

47% of Chicago residents have completed the vaccine process so far.

Only in the leftist mind is mediocrity equated to greatness.

Good grief....

and that says nothing about the insanely wealthy foreigners who choose to live in pbc. and don't forget polo cap (wellington). cut straight across alligator alley same drill with naples - only much smaller.
Naples seems like a great area. Tampa seems crowded like Miami, Ft. Myers doesn't have much besides beaches, but Naples seems to be the Gulf side analog of Jupiter. Pretty, laid back, peaceful, uncrowded, safe, outdoor living...

Reactions: mcmurtry66
not necessarily. the crime rates vary significantly amongst cities of similar populations. homelessness as well. policy and urban planning impact both
I’m not really talking about rates like per 100 or per 1,000. Just the overall incidents of crime and homelessness. Obviously the rates vary.

Naples seems like a great area. Tampa seems crowded like Miami, Ft. Myers doesn't have much besides beaches, but Naples seems to be the Gulf side analog of Jupiter. Pretty, laid back, peaceful, uncrowded, safe, outdoor living...
For sure. Not as upscale but I really like Sarasota siesta key too

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT