ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like TJ Jones a heavy lean to Penn State

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Huge bummer for us. We really need big time receivers for the Deboer offense.

I am really excited, however, about Gary Cooper. Reminds me of a pass catching Stevie. I'm not convinced of his run blocking which will be important because Deboer uses a lot of 12 personnell to run the ball. Those same 2 TEs he used at Fresno to run block also caught the most passes as TEs. Hopefully Cooper pick it up.

Until signing day or a definitive tweet from the kid, then I don't know if he's not in or even if IU 100% wants him. Going to sit back and wait for the official announcement ahead. Still optimistic going to get some future contributors among the final five.

Speaking of TE, I think this new coach will like the collection of talent in the TE room. Hendershot is a pretty big talent and TJ Ivey had one good looking high school highlight tape. There's other kids with nice talent in that room as well.

I mentioned the other day how welcome it would be if Deboer could consistently hit the tight ends in the medium passing game. I never thought Mike Debord utilized much of a passing game outside of either short underneath stuff, or the occasional bomb he'd dial up several times per game.

The 15-20 yard passing game down the middle of the field seemed scarce in the Debord offense. I'll be looking forward to that hopefully changing!!

Speaking of TE, I think this new coach will like the collection of talent in the TE room. Hendershot is a pretty big talent and TJ Ivey had one good looking high school highlight tape. There's other kids with nice talent in that room as well.

I mentioned the other day how welcome it would be if Deboer could consistently hit the tight ends in the medium passing game. I never thought Mike Debord utilized much of a passing game outside of either short underneath stuff, or the occasional bomb he'd dial up several times per game.

The 15-20 yard passing game down the middle of the field seemed scarce in the Debord offense. I'll be looking forward to that hopefully changing!!

I think one of the limitations DeBord was working with the last 2 years was inexperienced RBs that hadn't picked up pass blocking skills. Gest was at a particular disadvantage with his size, and almost always just got run over when trying to block anyone. Forget which game in 2017, but I distinctly remember Gest trying to block a DE, and he got knocked back 5+ feet through the air into Ramsey. Plus, if the RB doesn't have pass protection skills, its difficult to take a TE off blocking duty

The 20 yard pass down the middle of the field can be broken up or picked off when your QB throws floaters. B10 safeties playing center field could have a lot of fun with that. That's probably why all of Ramsey's deep ball attempts were side line throws. The dynamic changes with Tuttle or Penix at QB.

I am really excited, however, about Gary Cooper. Reminds me of a pass catching Stevie. I'm not convinced of his run blocking which will be important because Deboer uses a lot of 12 personnell to run the ball. Those same 2 TEs he used at Fresno to run block also caught the most passes as TEs. Hopefully Cooper pick it up.

Dawand Jones also in Happy Valley today on an OV.

I think one of the limitations DeBord was working with the last 2 years was inexperienced RBs that hadn't picked up pass blocking skills. Gest was at a particular disadvantage with his size, and almost always just got run over when trying to block anyone. Forget which game in 2017, but I distinctly remember Gest trying to block a DE, and he got knocked back 5+ feet through the air into Ramsey. Plus, if the RB doesn't have pass protection skills, its difficult to take a TE off blocking duty
If he is moved to slot he would be a receiver like Moore at PU; strong and fast. I would love to see Gest at slot with the other RBs we have and coming in. Having Whop and Gest on the field in a double slot formation or trips would give a defense fits covering and tackling Gest when he gets the ball.

I agree about Cooper. I love his athleticism, & pass blocking aside, he & Hendershot could be a lethal duo in the passing game. A nightmare for DC's because they're such a tough cover for LB/DE's.

Last edited:
there are definitely differences in the DeBoer/Tedford offense at FSU and what DeBord did at IU, especially in how they used TEs and H-backs. Not to mention some of the OL blocking.

It's also worth noting that, of Fresno's top 5 pass-catchers last year, 3 were not wide receivers (#2-TE, #4-RB, #5-RB).

By all appearances, it would seem that T.J. Jones might be leaning toward Penn State. Mullen is in his ear, though.
Nothing on Twitter to say he has committed there but we’ll all know by 2/6.
They already got Dunsmore this year and 3 highly ranked kids last year plus KJ Hamler from the class of 2017. That’s a lot of guys ahead of him on the 2-deep.

That may factor in. Who knows?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The 20 yard pass down the middle of the field can be broken up or picked off when your QB throws floaters. B10 safeties playing center field could have a lot of fun with that. That's probably why all of Ramsey's deep ball attempts were side line throws. The dynamic changes with Tuttle or Penix at QB.
I never understood why we abandoned the middle of the field. The first damn game of the year first TD throw of the year. Ramsey throws this rope.
https://ytcropper.com/cropped/CL5c519d019d9ff

I think at that moment myself, and probably IU nation was like ohhh man the offense is gonna be good this year. Pure beauty right there.

And then we stop running go routes over the middle?

Last edited:
I never understood why we abandoned the middle of the field. The first damn game of the year first TD throw of the year. Ramsey throws this rope.
https://ytcropper.com/cropped/CL5c519d019d9ff

I think at that moment myself, and probably IU nation was like ohhh man the offense is gonna be good this year. Pure beauty right there.

And then we stop running go routes over the middle?

DeBord forgot to take his Geritol.

I kid, I kid!

However, the play calling deteriorated and it wasn’t just due to opponents. Why continue throwing a bubble screen when it isn’t working?

I think if we had started Penix earlier in the year, like by game 3 and got the WRs used to his darts, it would have made a difference in the back half of the season. I think they were heading that way but he got injured.

Debord didn’t ever seem to be able to adapt. Just kept trying to stick the square peg in the round hole.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I wander why a guy who calls plays and and coaches the tight ends would choose to not to throw to them. Just a thought.

A coach once said you can only run the plays you can block for ( or something to that effect). I suspect our o-line couldn't hold it's own against some teams and the RBs couldnt pick things up due to size or being too green (like 76-1 said). Hard to send the TE out if the others are not giving the QB time he needs. Hope we are addressing our o-line issues for the future. Mr Dawand Jones.....Come on down!

DeBord forgot to take his Geritol.

I kid, I kid!

However, the play calling deteriorated and it wasn’t just due to opponents. Why continue throwing a bubble screen when it isn’t working?

I think if we had started Penix earlier in the year, like by game 3 and got the WRs used to his darts, it would have made a difference in the back half of the season. I think they were heading that way but he got injured.

Debord didn’t ever seem to be able to adapt. Just kept trying to stick the square peg in the round hole.
Heres the thing...It wasn't until the minny game when Peyton started throwing accurate long shots downfield that the offense woke up again. Sure he doesn't have the zip that Penix has but you watch that link posted above and watched the balls he did launch and he was plenty effective and not as dead as everyone thinks. He had enough zip to get it done. That tells me that it must have been Debord. Go look at that play again. Typical Debord there are several routes zig zagging all over the field creating a tough situation for the defense. Wtf happened after that. That was redzone genius!

He had to keep them in to help block because he couldn't count on the RB's to help do it...
I watch games all the time and watch quarterbacks getting sacked because the play caller insisted on sending out 4 and 5 guys and the defense just sent one more guy than the o line could block. I often had my guys get yelled at on Friday nights only to see on film on Saturday that they blocked their guys it was often the extra rusher. The redskins under Joe Gibbs constantly ran.

And with a WR going deep then the safety has to choose his poison!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT