ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Sheridan

Works for me.

He's been exposed to both Debords running game and Deboers passing game and was basically the leader of the Offense "on the field" for the past two years...

Both Debord and Deboer coached from the booth, Sheridan had the most "on field" contact with the QB's...

He'll be fine and so will we.

We get an up and comer and he gets a great gig... Win Win, plus, he recruits well...

**And... we have an open coaching slot left (in addition to Special Teams) to fill the greatest area of need...**

I actually see us getting a lot better if those last two slots are properly filled...

Works for me.

He's been exposed to both Debords running game and Deboers passing game and was basically the leader of the Offense "on the field" for the past two years...

Both Debord and Deboer coached from the booth, Sheridan had the most "on field" contact with the QB's...

He'll be fine and so will we.

We get an up and comer and he gets a great gig... Win Win, plus, he recruits well...

**And... we have an open coaching slot left (in addition to Special Teams) to fill the greatest area of need...**

I actually see us getting a lot better if those last two slots are properly filled...
NOOOOOOOOO we could toss the whole build in the sh!tter with that decision. Let him interview along with others though.

Reactions: iu60 and vesuvius13
Not a surprise. The offense was awfully good last year and Deboer clearly said Sheridan was the guy to continue it and that's probably worth the gamble. More money can now be spent on an elite special teams coordinator and a top recruiter at the TE position. I have to think they saved $400k from Deboer's salary.

I will withhold judgement. I just don't think of Indiana as a place a coordinor should be getting their first shot at it. Nick could be the best OC in the country, who knows but I do know we have the funds to afford an experienced proven OC.

Thoughts/questions:

On paper Sheridan could be good. Definitely has been right hand to last two OC’s, so he’s been in a sense being groomed. And he was a QB at Michigan, so knows the game. In his one year role as TE coach, Hendershot had career IU TE record year (and DeBoer gets credit there too!)

No way he should make DeBoer money yet though, and there should more to spend elsewhere.
How about a GREAT spec teams/ TE coach?

how about a LB coach who is an awesome recruiter? Then more money to lock in Hart at RB.

it’s not as sexy as DeBoer, but he could be a good offense mind who just had a great last year apprenticeship under a good one.

I will withhold judgement. I just don't think of Indiana as a place a coordinor should be getting their first shot at it. Nick could be the best OC in the country, who knows but I do know we have the funds to afford an experienced proven OC.

"Elite" special teams coach? I would rather have an elite OC and an average ST coach than your scenario.

Reactions: bang63
I was hit with a double whammy seeing Cronk in the transfer portal and not Sheridan as OC. I hope Sheridan proves my concerns wrong and does a great job but I have my doubts. Just don't let him be the QB coach again as Ramsey never learned to stay in the pocket instead of bailing out to the right when pressured until DeBoer took over the QB role. I even bet coach Deboer would have eliminated Lagow's int problems.

I was hit with a double whammy seeing Cronk in the transfer portal and not Sheridan as OC. I hope Sheridan proves my concerns wrong and does a great job but I have my doubts. Just don't let him be the QB coach again as Ramsey never learned to stay in the pocket instead of bailing out to the right when pressured until DeBoer took over the QB role. I even bet coach Deboer would have eliminated Lagow's int problems.
Potentially disastrous.

I can only ask: Why? There has to be an experienced OC out there who can run a similar offense to what DeBoer ran.

Between both Coordinators, they have 1 year of experience. ONE!

I think Allen has lost his mind. Hope I'm wrong.

After the onside kick debacle and now this.

I really have reservations about Allen. This was a good season but we beat a lot of bad teams.

There is a part of me that would rather have DeBoer as the HC.

Reactions: Chriselli and DANC
Thoughts/questions:

On paper Sheridan could be good. Definitely has been right hand to last two OC’s, so he’s been in a sense being groomed. And he was a QB at Michigan, so knows the game. In his one year role as TE coach, Hendershot had career IU TE record year (and DeBoer gets credit there too!)

No way he should make DeBoer money yet though, and there should more to spend elsewhere.
How about a GREAT spec teams/ TE coach?

how about a LB coach who is an awesome recruiter? Then more money to lock in Hart at RB.

it’s not as sexy as DeBoer, but he could be a good offense mind who just had a great last year apprenticeship under a good one.

Feels like another family/friend hire like Debord and Wommack. Don't like it at all. Let him be the big dog at a MAC school first. Did we even conduct a search? Also, when's the last time co-coordinators worked out for us?

You can do a lot better for nearly 1 mil imo.

Reactions: DANC
This is completely baffling. CTA went out and did a national search just about a year ago and made an excellent hire in Deboer. Now he’s handing over the reigns to the offense to a 1st time OC? I’m stupefied. :confused::confused::eek::eek:

For a TE and ST coach? Do you really need that much flexibility to hire those positions?

Well, it allows us to go with a TE's/Special Teams Coach and then bring in a guy that's a proven recruiter who can perhaps split the OL duties with Hiller..., maybe a G's/C's Coach..., or a T's/TE's coach..., this allowing the Special Teams coach to be solely focused on Special Teams...

My preference is to bring in a T's/TE's guy who can recruit... Here's an unlikely name (unlikely because TA parted ways with him awhile back) who might be a good fit the 2nd time around: Patton @ Eastern Michigan... He's more than capable of coaching T's & TE's and he used to recruit for both OK and Northwestern so he's bound to have a few contacts out there...

Frye out at UCLA is another T/TE's type (but given that he's already their OC out there it's doubtful he'd take a step and a half down unless he's certain UCLA will make a coaching change in 2020... (a good possibility)... Maybe Hiller would be agreeable to sharing the Run Game coordinator title if he got a major raise?

Last edited:
Allen just took a huge gamble. All his chips are in. This could be a big bust.
Wasn’t Sheridan demoted just a year ago? This is baffling. He may have sealed his own fate.

He wasn’t demoted, DeBoer was hired and wanted (demanded?) to also coach QBs. Probably a compliment to Sheridan that they moved him to TE though he had never coached there. As in “we want to keep him.”

He has always struck me as an up and comer and cool guy. I don’t love it over a proven DeBoer type hire ( and Womack at 32 didn’t light up the D in my mind) but hopefully he will thrive.

A 32-year old DC and 31-year old OC? What's next? A 23-year old STC? Allen must love hanging around with a bunch of young dudes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT