ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Nick Linder is a Hoosier.....

A great addition indeed. I hope he is healthy and able to contribute. If so, he will be a key cog on the line.

Reactions: All4UIU
I initially had reservations but now I trust the staff on this one. I'm sure they did their homework.

Upon further review, I don't see any major downside.

At minimum, increased competition at Center should only make the other guys better and we'll need another capable guy in the rotation throughout the long difficult Big Ten season.

I initially had reservations but now I trust the staff on this one. I'm sure they did their homework.

Upon further review, I don't see any major downside.

At minimum, increased competition at Center should only make the other guys better and we'll need another capable guy in the rotation throughout the long difficult Big Ten season.

Were your reservations about his physical status?

In reading about him in the past, I saw no other issues. The only negative I've read is from a Miami fan who thought he wasn't as good as their current starter....may be, but he was good enough to start 22 games at Miami. One article about him essentially said he was expected to be an important reserve before he left.

I've seen no reason stated for why he left...perhaps that's your concern? Who knows the real reason(s) but everything I've read says he's a high character guy. And he's got a brother who's an NFL lineman.

Edit--actually started 26 games, including 4 at guard as a freshman

I guess there's always a chance he gets reinjured, but he sure looks worth the risk.

Were your reservations about his physical status?

In reading about him in the past, I saw no other issues. The only negative I've read is from a Miami fan who thought he wasn't as good as their current starter....may be, but he was good enough to start 22 games at Miami. One article about him essentially said he was expected to be an important reserve before he left.

I've seen no reason stated for why he left...perhaps that's your concern? Who knows the real reason(s) but everything I've read says he's a high character guy. And he's got a brother who's an NFL lineman.

Edit--actually started 26 games, including 4 at guard as a freshman

I guess there's always a chance he gets reinjured, but he sure looks worth the risk.

My reservations were originally based on what I'd read on a couple of message boards written by some frustrated fans (who were probably disappointed he was leaving). That and I'm "old-school" and prefer four year scholarship guys.

As I said earlier, upon further review, trusting that our coaching staff did their homework, he looks like a great fit. I hope he has a great season and fulfills the role the coaching staff expects he'll be able to fill. I have no valid reason to expect otherwise.

He probably transferred because he expects an opportunity to play in the NFL. That wouldn't happen if he spent his last year on the sidelines.

Watch his Miami game film. He will start from day one here and possibly get a shot at pro ball.

He probably transferred because he expects an opportunity to play in the NFL. That wouldn't happen if he spent his last year on the sidelines.

Watch his Miami game film. He will start from day one here and possibly get a shot at pro ball.

One would assume and that is my hopes. The other side could be that he kept injuring his shoulder and realized he should extra focus on his education so he decided to "RS" this season and transfer to a good grad school with a business degree (insert Indiana). I like to think he's going to be healthy and should be a key contributor for us. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Superstar84b
One would assume and that is my hopes. The other side could be that he kept injuring his shoulder and realized he should extra focus on his education so he decided to "RS" this season and transfer to a good grad school with a business degree (insert Indiana). I like to think he's going to be healthy and should be a key contributor for us. Fingers crossed!
He wanted to play again. He’s been rehabbing after he left the team. I highly doubt we would bring him on if we thought he might not play.

What a way to start the new year. Here's a guy who started 26 games for a strong, Power 5 program. He brings invaluable experience and skill where we need it - - the OL. And he brings important leadership to that group. CTA continues to impress with his recruiting and roster upgrades.

He wanted to play again. He’s been rehabbing after he left the team. I highly doubt we would bring him on if we thought he might not play.

Oh trust me, I agree. But someone was questioning what the other reasoning would be...

Reactions: RBB89
What a way to start the new year. Here's a guy who started 26 games for a strong, Power 5 program. He brings invaluable experience and skill where we need it - - the OL. And he brings important leadership to that group. CTA continues to impress with his recruiting and roster upgrades.
Yea but we didn't go through the proper hiring techniques for CTA we cut corners. Success leaves clues and because of this new player addition from a coach who was improperly hired it doesn't matter. ;):confused::D

Reactions: 76-1 and Bowlmania
This is a great get for a number of reasons. If healthy he is going to start at guard or center. It will give IU line some great leadership experience. The rule for constructing your O-line is to put in your best 5, and let them adjust to their assigned position, he will allow greater depth and flexibility. He is from the premier high school program in the state (excepting IMG Academy which is not a high school), and may help IU get a foot in the door.

Losing leaves clues, too. Most people would rather pay attention to that than celebrate another sub-par season and engage in endless happy talk.

Another multiple personality of OrdEwezerIlovedlucys emerges and this personality is just as miserable as his 48 other personalities:

giphy.gif

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Losing leaves clues, too. Most people would rather pay attention to that than celebrate another sub-par season and engage in endless happy talk.
No one's celebrating 5-7. We're celebrating transfers like Linder and Roof, and the outstanding early signings of a couple of weeks ago, positive developments that point to a program headed in the right direction. You, on the other hand, seem only interested in defecating on anything favorable associated with IU.

No one's celebrating 5-7. We're celebrating transfers like Linder and Roof, and the outstanding early signings of a couple of weeks ago, positive developments that point to a program headed in the right direction. You, on the other hand, seem only interested in defecating on anything favorable associated with IU.
Wanting a winning program isn’t defecating on it, just as celebrating mediocrity doesn’t seem to be a winning formula. But no one is stopping you.

Reactions: IUgradman
What I love most is the added competition and depth. It’s almost like the NFL, no job is safe or guaranteed. ALL OL coming back from this year plus 2 big recruits and now a UM grad transfer. I concur put the best 5 out there and should have much better depth next year too. He’s only a one-year addition but he’ll be here for spring and is a great bridge addition as younger OLine develops.

But it’s same for Ramsey at QB - 2 FL QBs will want to take top spot if they can.

RB now has hot shot FR in for spring who can compete with top 3 returning RBs.

WR - incoming FR look good and Hale/Westbrook returning.

The offense was weak link last year but hard to see it not being better now given competition and one year of experience.

Defense losing key contributors but still lot of returning talent, a culture/system and coaching staff more intact, and some incoming FR that I believe will crack the top 2 at some positions (bc they are good, not bc we are so thin)

#Bullish!

Wanting a winning program isn’t defecating on it, just as celebrating mediocrity doesn’t seem to be a winning formula. But no one is stopping you.
We're celebrating transfers and signings of quality athletes.

Please try to post during moments of lucidity.

Ole Foster gets hit harder than a 16 penny nail around here. Wow.....

What I love most is the added competition and depth. It’s almost like the NFL, no job is safe or guaranteed. ALL OL coming back from this year plus 2 big recruits and now a UM grad transfer. I concur put the best 5 out there and should have much better depth next year too. He’s only a one-year addition but he’ll be here for spring and is a great bridge addition as younger OLine develops.

But it’s same for Ramsey at QB - 2 FL QBs will want to take top spot if they can.

RB now has hot shot FR in for spring who can compete with top 3 returning RBs.

WR - incoming FR look good and Hale/Westbrook returning.

The offense was weak link last year but hard to see it not being better now given competition and one year of experience.

Defense losing key contributors but still lot of returning talent, a culture/system and coaching staff more intact, and some incoming FR that I believe will crack the top 2 at some positions (bc they are good, not bc we are so thin)

#Bullish!
Great points. Offense is definitely looking deeper and much improved.

Seems like he has a naggining shoulder injury. Probably a Labrum or rotator cuff. Those are always hard to deal with. Mark Murphy had a similar injury and could never get 100% right.

Stregnths:
1. High football IQ it looks like. Follows their gameplan, and is always trying to get to the right spot. He tries to get his body in a good positiOn to execute the block. He doesn’t really get fooled on any defensive line stunts.

2. A smooth athlete. Not a quick/fast or even good athlete, but smooth. He’s not going to trip over his own feet. Kinda how someone like Tom Brady is smooth, but not necessarily an elite athlete.

3. He helps our passing game right away. He’s good at recognizing the blitz/defensive stregnth and setting the blocking scheme in that direction. Good on gap slides and odd (fan) blocks when looking for blitzers.

4. Good toughness. Plays hard. I never saw him really give up on a block. If he executes one block he’s looking to take another guy down. Played hurt, so he’s tough as nails.

Weaknesses:
1. He’s hurt and Labrums are hard to come back from. I’m blessed to have not been a lineman, because it was rough enough playing with a torn one at my position. Must be extremely difficult for a lineman. His injury showed up on film.

2. Lacks stregnth, but again that’s likely due to the injury, and not much you can do about it. He spent the fall working out/ rehabbing, so you can only hope an injury like that is manageable and that he can maintain some functional stregnth. Difficult for him to get any push or get off of a double team. Gets pushed into the backfield a lot. Gets slammed back into running backs, causing some tfl’s.

3. Unathletic. Doesn’t really have a burst on exposition. Not a lot of quickness or speed. Difficult for him to get to guys on the second level on stretches and zone plays.

4. Benefited from playing with talented athletes. Many times on film he couldn’t block his guy one on one, the guy would shed him, but a RB would juke the guy or truck him. He definitely benefited from having talented backs who could make their own way.

5. Not going to be able to block 1 on 1 in pass protection. Can’t stop the bull rush.

All in all we upgraded. He’s not a perfect player but you can work with anyone who’s smart and tough. When they scheme to his strengths by going to gap slide blocking schemes, or odd fan schemes, he’s smart enough to execute. They didn’t give up a ton of sacks when they stayed away from man blocking passing schemes. Last year I thought we needed to do more gap sliding/odd (fan) schemes and stay away from 1 on 1 pass protection. If we do that, he’ll be fine. You’re getting a smart player who’s hard nosed too, but limited athletically. He’s experienced and better than the starter last year, so IU upgraded. But they’ll need to scheme to his stregnths and minimize his weaknesses. That’ll be where the coaching staff is tested.

Reactions: 76-1
Not a fan of mediocrity

I don't think any poster here is either. However, most are mature and coherent enough to recognize when they see things that look like they will help the program.
The definition of mediocre is you. Tired agendas and bad catch phrases constantly regurgitated over and over. So predictable. When there is disappointment, you're The first to pile on. When there is a positive… Not a peep.

I don't think any poster here is either. However, most are mature and coherent enough to recognize when they see things that look like they will help the program.
The definition of mediocre is you. Tired agendas and bad catch phrases constantly regurgitated over and over. So predictable. When there is disappointment, you're The first to pile on. When there is a positive… Not a peep.
Sorry, but you and a few others seem to embrace mediocrity. Some of us want more, even if some of you are satisfied with what is there. Just a difference in expectations. That's the agenda you're against, unfortunately.

He is upset that the coach and program he loathes has a good day. He does the only thing he knows how to do...trash the thread.

Sorry, but you and a few others seem to embrace mediocrity. Some of us want more, even if some of you are satisfied with what is there. Just a difference in expectations. That's the agenda you're against, unfortunately.
I'm a bit ashamed that I haven't already put you on ignore for the 15th time Ord, Helen, Danapoint, Kern, Lucy, BRFredd, etc. But I am about to remedy that with my next click. See you in a couple of weeks (or less) when you reappear under yet another name. You are a special kind of disturbed.

Seems like he has a naggining shoulder injury. Probably a Labrum or rotator cuff.
I've seen nothing online about the specific nature of the shoulder problem, only that he's had two separate shoulder surgeries, and it's probably best not to speculate. There's a huge difference (and I know this from personal experience) between a torn labrum and a rotator cuff tear (if, in fact, it was one of these two conditions). The outcome with rotator cuff surgery is often better than labrum surgery but there are no absolutes here and every case is different. We can assume the kid probably received excellent orthopedic care and he's had a year to rehab. We'll hope for the best.

Ole Foster gets hit harder than a 16 penny nail around here. Wow.....
There’s a reason for that. He’s on at least his 10th account because he constantly gets banned.

ADVERTISEMENT