ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for questions to ask a Bible study group.

Okay, well, I'm afraid I'm more of an ELCA guy. I think the Missouri Synod take on scripture is far to fundamentalist. So I'm not going to be able to give you advice on things that touch on, say, Biblical inerrancy, or the conflict of science and scripture. However, I could strongly recommend a series of discussions on the parables. These are lessons that transcend your particular brand of Lutheranism. They are quite universal. For example, ask you group to consider things like:

What does the parable of the Good Samaritan tell us about how to treat others?
What does the parable of the Prodigal Son tell us about the love of a parent (and God)?

Etc. The parables teach us lessons that transcend theology.

If your group is a little more open-minded and liberal, I could also make some suggestions on parts of the Bible to study from a more historical standpoint, which I think can lead to some really valuable insights, but requires you to take a more objective view of the text.
If an ELCA girl marries an LCMS boy it's called a mixed marriage. I'm just looking for questions. They don't need to be qualified. Thanks for your help.

If an ELCA girl marries an LCMS boy it's called a mixed marriage. I'm just looking for questions. They don't need to be qualified. Thanks for your help.
Yeah, sorry, I don't work that way, LOL. If I have a question, I have an answer, too.

Let me give you an example. This is the kind of study that is much more likely to be taken well in ELCA than LCMS. So take it for what it's worth; it's just an example of what bounces around my head.

According to Matt, Mark and Luke, Jesus' last supper was a Passover meal. According to John, however, Jesus was crucified one day earlier, and the Passover meal happened on the evening directly following his death. The question for study and consideration is: Why did John change the date?

The answer is thus: John changed the date to make an important theological point. In John's gospel and John's gospel alone, Jesus dies on the cross at the exact moment the Passover lambs are being slaughtered in the Temple. The lesson to be learned, then, is that Jesus is the Passover the lamb, and the importance of this theological metaphor.

Yeah, sorry, I don't work that way, LOL. If I have a question, I have an answer, too.

Let me give you an example. This is the kind of study that is much more likely to be taken well in ELCA than LCMS. So take it for what it's worth; it's just an example of what bounces around my head.

According to Matt, Mark and Luke, Jesus' last supper was a Passover meal. According to John, however, Jesus was crucified one day earlier, and the Passover meal happened on the evening directly following his death. The question for study and consideration is: Why did John change the date?

The answer is thus: John changed the date to make an important theological point. In John's gospel and John's gospel alone, Jesus dies on the cross at the exact moment the Passover lambs are being slaughtered in the Temple. The lesson to be learned, then, is that Jesus is the Passover the lamb, and the importance of this theological metaphor.
I've heard of that before. I'd need to look into it. Thx.

You are a very good Republican, and a very bad Christian.

Just sayin'.
You can be a good republican and a good Christian. I've got both parties in my church. To say I am a bad Christian would mean you have a good understanding of what makes a good Christian. I am sure you understand the Law,but not the Faith. This isn't a slam. I was just messing with uslay,and you took advantage. I gotcha.

Wait...are you saying that instead of the bread representing jesus's body during communion, the church should serve gyros?

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
You can be a good republican and a good Christian. I've got both parties in my church. To say I am a bad Christian would mean you have a good understanding of what makes a good Christian. I am sure you understand the Law,but not the Faith. This isn't a slam. I was just messing with uslay,and you took advantage. I gotcha.
Yes, you can be both. But you are not. You are a dyed-in-the-wool perfect 100% Republican who fits his religion around his political beliefs. The party is far more important to you than God. And it's not even close.

This has nothing do with your comment to uslayme. That was just an open door. This is based on your entire posting pattern. You are a shitty Christian. You don't care what Christ teaches. You only care about your political views, and you twist and bend the teachings of Jesus to fit what you already believe. You are a bad Christian, a bad pastor, and a bad human being.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. I'm leaning towards no.

Religion started in caves as an explanation for and easing the pains of death. It grew from there.
Religion is just a means for a few to control the many.

Do this, or don't do that, else you'll never experience eternal salvation...blah blah blah, rinse repeat.

This is the OTF, and dumb people on the OTF are like a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti.

Prey.

And, it is well known to never get between a lion and it's prey.
Yes, you can be both. But you are not. You are a dyed-in-the-wool perfect 100% Republican who fits his religion around his political beliefs. The party is far more important to you than God. And it's not even close.

This has nothing do with your comment to uslayme. That was just an open door. This is based on your entire posting pattern. You are a shitty Christian. You don't care what Christ teaches. You only care about your political views, and you twist and bend the teachings of Jesus to fit what you already believe. You are a bad Christian, a bad pastor, and a bad human being.
Dang. Gauntlet thrown.

IDGAFF either way about politics, but will say the religious right are f'ing nutjobs. I agree with some of the libertarian notions of OG conservatism (not the garbage that is considered conservatism which is what we have now), but the social views of the religious right idiots is downright frightening.

Hello. I lead a Bible study group and am looking for questions to ask the peeps in my group. I don't have any restrictions so whatever is on your mind is game. I can't promise to answer these, at least right away, because this is for a year long project. Thank you.

The Prodigal Son.

20 years ago I had to deliver my newborn daughter to daycare every day. One day, I hear this bible study radio show start. They are discussing The Prodigal Son parable. Over a month later, its still the same topic. Every day for over 2 months they had a slightly different take on a small nuance of the parable.

Freaked me out and fascinated me too.

Plus, profligate living is a great topic for the OTF.

You are going to be the guy who is found dead hanging from the ceiling with a belt around your neck, cucumber up you asshole, dick in hand.

Wow, you have a vivid imagination there. Projecting a bit?

I had a strange dream about cucumbers last night. See, I was eating a toblerone, and for some reason, this chocolate bar had cuke slices inside of it. Even in a dream, it did not taste good. I wonder what it means.

I had a strange dream about cucumbers last night. See, I was eating a toblerone, and for some reason, this chocolate bar had cuke slices inside of it. Even in a dream, it did not taste good. I wonder what it means.
Sounds like you want to put your cucumber in some chocolate. Maybe Caps can help. :)

So you found 5 other Crean haters...what does that prove?

Crean haters? So seeing the obvious incompetence and being unwilling to accept it without complaint makes one a hater? Or should we just shine our boots, never question authority, and march in high step because he wears the right color? Neither are acceptable. A clown show is a clown show ....

Reactions: mike41703
Crean haters? So seeing the obvious incompetence and being unwilling to accept it without complaint makes one a hater? Or should we just shine our boots, never question authority, and march in high step because he wears the right color? Neither are acceptable. A clown show is a clown show ....
Agreed. but bitching at everything just because you do not like him is also ridiculous. If person has a legit gripe, then do it, but using every chance to take a shot is petty. Let's leave it at that and not clutter up the OTF with this.

Last edited:
Agreed. but bitching at everything just because you do not like him is also ridiculous. If person has a legit gripe, then do it, but using every chance to take a shot is petty.

You are going to find "Crean haters" have a multitude of reasons for disliking his personality, his coaching, his team's playing style, etc. My opinion, as a Crean hater, is based upon what I consider legitimate gripes. Most here are the same. I see no reason to rehash, but Ace, I am willing to bet most of the fanbase doesn't care for Crean. You cannot expect us to conform to your particular beliefs.

Agreed. but bitching at everything just because you do not like him is also ridiculous. If person has a legit gripe, then do it, but using every chance to take a shot is petty. Let's leave it at that and not clutter up the OTF with this.

Don't LIKE him? Are you a 13 year old girl or something? Like has absolutely nothing to do with coaching. I don't care if he's the biggest asshole in the world as long as he's competent. I don't want to befriend him or fk him, so who cares about like. I just want someone that knows how to coach. Opinion based on like and dislike is for Justin Bieber fans. There's nothing wrong with calling a clown a clown.

You are going to find "Crean haters" have a multitude of reasons for disliking his personality, his coaching, his team's playing style, etc. My opinion, as a Crean hater, is based upon what I consider legitimate gripes. Most here are the same. I see no reason to rehash, but Ace, I am willing to bet most of the fanbase doesn't care for Crean. You cannot expect us to conform to your particular beliefs.
Don't know about "Most of the fanbase" but, I am not asking anyone to conform, I am all about having one's own opinion. Just get tired of the weak shots that "some" make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT