ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
The sunshine and lollipops posters will soon be here, reminding everyone that this was a non-conference game and we can still make a run in the Big Ten. In reply to those posters, I would ask what have they seen in our first three games that makes them optimistic about our conference schedule.

I'm not throwing in the towel, and I'll bleed cream and crimson until the day I die, but we need to seriously reset expectations. Or at least I do.

This was an opportunity to win a much-ballyhooed game at home in front of a rare sellout crowd, and we dropped the ball - - literally and figuratively.

I'm not going to slam the kids. It's against forum rules and, more importantly, it's not the right thing to do. I'll just say this. Something is going on between the QB's ears. He is not the same player we saw in 2019 and 2020. Of course, one of his wide receivers - - a guy who informed us at Big Ten Media Days: "I think I am the best wide receiver in the country" - - did the QB no favors, particularly on his drop of a beautifully thrown 55-yard bomb at 10:33 in the third that should have gone for six.

McFadden's the leader of the defense, and it was a tough break losing him on the targeting call late in the first half. I have no idea who the leader on offense is. It might be time to give Tuttle and/or McCulley a shot. Who know, that may be necessary anyway as it appeared Penix was experiencing discomfort in his left arm toward the end of the game.

The Big Ten East looks much stronger this year. i think 6-6 and a lower tier bowl are viable goals for us. Go Hoosiers. Beat Western Kentucky.

The sunshine and lollipops posters will soon be here, reminding everyone that this was a non-conference game and we can still make a run in the Big Ten. In reply to those posters, I would ask what have they seen in our first three games that makes them optimistic about our conference schedule.

I'm not throwing in the towel, and I'll bleed cream and crimson until the day I die, but we need to seriously reset expectations. Or at least I do.

This was an opportunity to win a much-ballyhooed game at home in front of a rare sellout crowd, and we dropped the ball - - literally and figuratively.

I'm not going to slam the kids. It's against forum rules and, more importantly, it's not the right thing to do. I'll just say this. Something is going on between the QB's ears. He is not the same player we saw in 2019 and 2020. Of course, one of his wide receivers - - a guy who informed us at Big Ten Media Days: "I think I am the best wide receiver in the country" - - did the QB no favors, particularly on his drop of a beautifully thrown 55-yard bomb at 10:33 in the third that should have gone for six.

McFadden's the leader of the defense, and it was a tough break losing him on the targeting call late in the first half. I have no idea who the leader on offense is. It might be time to give Tuttle and/or McCulley a shot. Who know, that may be necessary anyway as it appeared Penix was experiencing discomfort in his left arm toward the end of the game.

The Big Ten East looks much stronger this year. i think 6-6 and a lower tier bowl are viable goals for us. Go Hoosiers. Beat Western Kentucky.

Need your thoughts on Penix. You told this board he wasn’t the problem.

Need your thoughts on Penix. You told this board he wasn’t the problem.
I thought I alluded to that in my post. I'm not a shrink, so I can't be more specific. But, no, after beginning his IU career 11-3 as a starter, and seeing his level of talent, I didn't believe he was the problem. Please remind me when you advised us he was.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I thought I alluded to that in my post. I'm not a shrink, so I can't be more specific. But, no, after beginning his IU career 11-3 as a starter, and seeing his level of talent, I didn't believe he was the problem. Please remind me when you advised us he was.
He definitely wasn’t the problem before this season, but Penix isn’t the same player he used to be. This version of Penix would’ve never beat out Ramsey two years ago.

I don''t need to reset my expectations. I predicted a 5-7 record before the season started. Penix has been overrated since he arrived on the scene. Now he is even shy about taking off on the ground, one of his main assets. His passing is erratic. One more comment about the showboating of the coach and the players. It is ill advised and misplaced. They haven't earned the right to do it, unless the criteria is to celebrate mediocrity.

He definitely wasn’t the problem before this season, but Penix isn’t the same player he used to be. This version of Penix would’ve never beat out Ramsey two years ago.
As stated previously he played much better today but was not done any favors on the other end of the throws

Michael Penix and Special Teams were the main failures in this game. I feel better about Nick Sheridan's future. Teegardin has lost some trust today. I don't think Penix has the IQ to get himself consistent this year. But the future is bright at the QB position, and that keeps me from getting too down.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don''t need to reset my expectations. I predicted a 5-7 record before the season started. Penix has been overrated since he arrived on the scene. Now he is even shy about taking off on the ground, one of his main assets. His passing is erratic. One more comment about the showboating of the coach and the players. It is ill advised and misplaced. They haven't earned the right to do it, unless the criteria is to celebrate mediocrity.
You're a troll.

He’s been a turnover machine and an inefficient QB dating back to his last 2-3 starts last year.

Reactions: midwolfe
He’s been a turnover machine and an inefficient QB dating back to his last 2-3 starts last year.
When, prior to the Iowa game two weeks ago, did you proclaim that he was going to hold us back this year, and that Tuttle or McCulley should be starting?

When, prior to the Iowa game two weeks ago, did you proclaim that he was going to hold us back this year, and that Tuttle or McCulley should be starting?

He is holding us back this year. Throwing more incompletions than receptions and more turnovers than touchdowns is problematic. You chided several other posters who pointed this out after the Iowa game, but blamed it on the offensive line and cited ppf as if it means a damn thing. Outside the 2nd half of the Ohio State game, Penix hasn’t been good in awhile, yet you continue to defend him.

Reactions: midwolfe
He is holding us back this year. Throwing more incompletions than receptions and more turnovers than touchdowns is problematic. You chided several other posters who pointed this out after the Iowa game, but blamed it on the offensive line and cited ppf as if it means a damn thing. Outside the 2nd half of the Ohio State game, Penix hasn’t been good in awhile, yet you continue to defend him.
You're a douchebag and/or just looking for a fight. I said Penix had a horrible game after the Iowa game. Our shitty OL play certainly didn't help, and I noted that as well.

I also led off this thread by saying he's not the same player we saw in '19 and '20, and that a change at QB may be warranted. I have no idea how or why you interpret that as a continuing defense of him. Have you been hitting the hard stuff? If so, let's talk again when you're sober.

There is clearly something wrong with IU's offense and despite improvement it wasn't good enough to provide the defense much help.

Reactions: Bowlmania
I've thought about this some more and want to supplement what I said originally.

Coming back from three season-ending injuries, and the surgeries and rehab that followed, would be tough on anyone. That's some bad luck and serious adversity and I know it would be in my head if it were me. The kid's got resiliency and toughness, and I give him a lot of credit for giving it another shot.

Last edited:
I've thought about this some more and want to supplement what I said originally.

Coming back from three season-ending injuries, and the surgeries and rehab that followed, would be tough on anyone. That's some bad luck and serious adversity and I know it would be in my head if it were me. The kid's got resiliency and toughness, and I give him a lot of credit for giving it another shot.
That’s why the reflex “Penix sucks” posts are ridiculous

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT