ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to next year....RE: Lineup questions.....

THallows

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2001
I have really enjoyed following IU baseball the last few years and after the start the team got off to this year, was hoping for another trip to the college world series. Now I am just hoping they make the tourney.

I know we still have plenty of baseball left this year, but was wondering what next teams lineup would look like? I am particularly concerned about the hitting as IU lost so many huge bats last year and it would appear that two or three of their top 5 in the lineup are going to be lost again.

Especially those that follow recruiting and are able to actually watch them play (unfortunately I live in Oklahoma) what do you see for next year in terms of the lineup?

Thanks.

I don't follow recruiting that closely other than to know we've got some guys committed over the next 2-3 years that are apparently very good, but beyond that I'm not up to speed on positions, strengths, hitting, etc.

So my reference is simply the roster we have right now. I would like to assume we have another frosh or two coming in next year who can contribute like Sowers and Pasteur have this year, but I don't know if we do or who they are. Others might.

I will say that this year there don't seem to be as many obvious "he'll be good and get more ABs next year" guys like we had last year with Cangelosi and Dedelow. Maybe Eustace plays next year? Maybe Stratten is our new 2B-man? Or is there a frosh or JUCO that's going to come in like Rodrigue did and contribute right away?

In limited exposure, I've thought our backup catcher will be ok behind the plate, but not hit like Hartong. Donley will be really hard to replace.

I expect gains from existing guys like Sowers, Pasteur, Cangelosi.

The back of our bullpen could be a mess.....lose Halstead, Harrison and maybe Effross.

My guess is that next year will be worse than this year, but that we'll still be decent. Would love to hear thoughts from others who know more than I do.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that IU is probably looking at bringing in a JUCO player or two, but what college baseball program isn't doing that. We know who will probably be the core players that will be back, but when it comes to newcomers, there's usually not much info on who they are looking at until there's an announcement.

I don't follow recruiting that closely other than to know we've got some guys committed over the next 2-3 years that are apparently very good, but beyond that I'm not up to speed on positions, strengths, hitting, etc.

So my reference is simply the roster we have right now. I would like to assume we have another frosh or two coming in next year who can contribute like Sowers and Pasteur have this year, but I don't know if we do or who they are. Others might.

I will say that this year there don't seem to be as many obvious "he'll be good and get more ABs next year" guys like we had last year with Cangelosi and Dedelow. Maybe Eustace plays next year? Maybe Stratten is our new 2B-man? Or is there a frosh or JUCO that's going to come in like Rodrigue did and contribute right away?

In limited exposure, I've thought our backup catcher will be ok behind the plate, but not hit like Hartong. Donley will be really hard to replace.

I expect gains from existing guys like Sowers, Pasteur, Cangelosi.

The back of our bullpen could be a mess.....lose Halstead, Harrison and maybe Effross.

My guess is that next year will be worse than this year, but that we'll still be decent. Would love to hear thoughts from others who know more than I do.

2 guys that have redshirted this year will be in the mix. OF Larry Crisler and 2b Macy Holdsworth. Juco OF Alex Krupa should be in the mix. Should be a battle in the fall for catcher with Webb and incoming frosh Finemann. Of course all this is really way to early, best answer will come in the fall when we see who all shows up and who stays around.

Reactions: snowling
2 guys that have redshirted this year will be in the mix. OF Larry Crisler and 2b Macy Holdsworth. Juco OF Alex Krupa should be in the mix. Should be a battle in the fall for catcher with Webb and incoming frosh Finemann. Of course all this is really way to early, best answer will come in the fall when we see who all shows up and who stays around.

I forgot about Krupka. Might he fill the RF slot or does Sowers have the better arm? Krupka was a superstud out of HS wasn't he? Just had some grade issues?

I forgot about Krupka. Might he fill the RF slot or does Sowers have the better arm? Krupka was a superstud out of HS wasn't he? Just had some grade issues?

Yes Krupa originally signed with IU out of HS but didn't make grades and went to a juco in Iowa. My understanding is he still needs to shore up a class to make next year. He's a CF, but can play the corners as well. Sowers played RF in high school, and he's predominantly a corner OF.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I wish I could follow it more closely, and I have to find some time to come up and see the new facilities. Maybe next year.

Thanks again.

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT