ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead - OL Future Potential

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Looking ahead (for just a moment) and past our starting Tackles: (Bedford/Jones), next year's assumed starters of Cronk LG/Crider - C/Norwah - RG - we would have same two tackles and again 3 starting seniors in G/C/G.

But who among the current roster do we think will be ready to step up if needed next season and beyond?

Beery - has size, plays special teams & on 2nd team depth chart. Can he contribute more?

Katic - Big PA OL, could have some nasty in him. Getting a RS year and up to 312. One to watch?

Weaver - See Katic, basically same description for future?

Marozas - Chicago kid, now 300+, still up and coming?

Rafferty - 6'6 up to 316. Behind the two tackles but could he be ready to go if needed?

Altimari - has size, but not sure he's ever cracked line up in his now 3 yrs?

O'Connor - feel like a walk on who backed up center even this year? Only 6'2. TBD to me?

Overall, seems like we need to add more high quality horses to this stable. Love to see more high rated beef continue to be added here.

Anyone have insights into what coaches think of the "next in line" and who has a potentially bright future of this 2nd group of OL?

Heard somewhere that the coaches love Katic at center.

Rafferty should be backup swing tackle next year.

Looking ahead (for just a moment) and past our starting Tackles: (Bedford/Jones), next year's assumed starters of Cronk LG/Crider - C/Norwah - RG - we would have same two tackles and again 3 starting seniors in G/C/G.

But who among the current roster do we think will be ready to step up if needed next season and beyond?

Beery - has size, plays special teams & on 2nd team depth chart. Can he contribute more?

Katic - Big PA OL, could have some nasty in him. Getting a RS year and up to 312. One to watch?

Weaver - See Katic, basically same description for future?

Marozas - Chicago kid, now 300+, still up and coming?

Rafferty - 6'6 up to 316. Behind the two tackles but could he be ready to go if needed?

Altimari - has size, but not sure he's ever cracked line up in his now 3 yrs?

O'Connor - feel like a walk on who backed up center even this year? Only 6'2. TBD to me?

Overall, seems like we need to add more high quality horses to this stable. Love to see more high rated beef continue to be added here.

Anyone have insights into what coaches think of the "next in line" and who has a potentially bright future of this 2nd group of OL?

Any word on flipping the big OT at Merrillville? Currently committed to Row his Boat up to Gopherland. I know TA came up in September to try and do so. Which asst recruits the region for IU?

Any word on flipping the big OT at Merrillville? Currently committed to Row his Boat up to Gopherland. I know TA came up in September to try and do so. Which asst recruits the region for IU?

A player who has signed his LOI can not be flipped. He signed in December.

I'm confident with Jones & Bedford returning.
I'm satisfied that with the Powell transfer and hopeful that there'll be 2 upper classmen interior guys that can give the team a good season.

Looking beyond 2020, this is where Ballou/Rhea are going to earn their money. It seems like they're generally recruiting OL based on their body frames vs. overall size (Randy Holtz notwithstanding). So it seems like they're really committing to getting more athletic 6'6" 260 kids and trying to get them to a "good" 315 by RS-Jr. That's the right long term plan, IMO.

I'm confident with Jones & Bedford returning.
I'm satisfied that with the Powell transfer and hopeful that there'll be 2 upper classmen interior guys that can give the team a good season.

Looking beyond 2020, this is where Ballou/Rhea are going to earn their money. It seems like they're generally recruiting OL based on their body frames vs. overall size (Randy Holtz notwithstanding). So it seems like they're really committing to getting more athletic 6'6" 260 kids and trying to get them to a "good" 315 by RS-Jr. That's the right long term plan, IMO.

Powell is eligible for a 6th year in 2021 on a medical redshirt.

Powell is eligible for a 6th year in 2021 on a medical redshirt.

I didn't realize that. That's fantastic. So presumably you have Powell, Jones, & Bedford for 2021. And hopefully that JUCO OL they signed has put on weight by then and is ready to play.

Just got to keep recruiting and developing the big boys.

I didn't realize that. That's fantastic. So presumably you have Powell, Jones, & Bedford for 2021. And hopefully that JUCO OL they signed has put on weight by then and is ready to play.

Just got to keep recruiting and developing the big boys.
That's assuming Caleb doesn't go the NFL early. BTW, LSU had 9 starters go to the NFL early; Iowa 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I think IU is in good shape at OL and it is a matter of building depth at that the OL. This 2020 class is heavily invested in the OL.

I agree. I like that they got a couple of older guys, a grad transfer with 2 years and a JUCO with a RS and then 2 years, plus all the incoming freshman. Would like to see Coleon qualify and sign still, but I'm pretty happy regardless. Now it's up the the coaches to get them physically ready to contribute, and then mentally ready to play. No doubt that they have the beef to work with though.

I agree. I like that they got a couple of older guys, a grad transfer with 2 years and a JUCO with a RS and then 2 years, plus all the incoming freshman. Would like to see Coleon qualify and sign still, but I'm pretty happy regardless. Now it's up the the coaches to get them physically ready to contribute, and then mentally ready to play. No doubt that they have the beef to work with though.
Also they may not be done yet, Benson from Mississippi is visiting this weekend , and who knows where Hamilton from Stanford ends up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT