ADVERTISEMENT

Live Game Thread: Indiana vs. Maryland | Game 2 |

Seems likely tomorrow is end of season so let’s hope for their own sakes they feel no pressure tomorrow. They have proved in past three weeks they can’t handle it well.
Glad I've got Race Tickets. This mess has worn me out. Good riddance.

Reactions: ptrich
This team doesn’t deserve a Tournament berth and Mercer deserves some heat for this collapse. These Big Ten teams aren’t more talented.
Not about deserving it, as much as they didn’t earn it. IUs season is done. At 115 RPI, 2-8 in last 10, and 5-13 vs quad 1&2 teams, those metrics are not even close to a tournament team. An utter collapse and failure.

Seems likely tomorrow is end of season so let’s hope for their own sakes they feel no pressure tomorrow. They have proved in past three weeks they can’t handle it well.
IMO, a win tomorrow will not save our postseason hopes. Against the top three teams in the conference, we have a combined record of 2-7 with a game left against the Terps tomorrow. You can take it to the bank that the selection committee knows that, and they have seen that we faltered badly at the end of the season against the stiffer competition. Today, we hit .200 as a team in game one giving up the winning run in the 10th without the Terps getting a hit. We hit .129 as a team in the second game and it would have been worse if we hadn't pick up a handful of hits late in the game. Those two runs scored by the Terps in the 1st inning on walks were almost all they needed to win the game. Actually, the three top teams in the B1G have more experienced rosters than what we have and that has certainly played a part in it. I know that Nebraska may see a significant turnover of their roster next season and Povich, their top pitcher, will probably go high or fairly high in the MLB draft. Michigan's roster was bolstered by grad student and junior college transfers during the off-season, and Maryland started several seniors and juniors today, although they did have some inexperience sprinkled in there. We proved we are better than the second division teams in the conference, but are not quite at the level of the better teams. Who knows what we will look like next season, but a year's experience has to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRIV94
Glad I've got Race Tickets. This mess has worn me out. Good riddance.
I'll check the game out to see how the team responds knowing that their season is probably over with after tomorrow. MD should know they are in the field of 64, but a sweep would certainly guarantee it, and it may help their seed and a favorable regional assignment. They will not take their foot off the gas.

"These" teams not more talented? Four (4) teams had more wins. Ten (10) teams had higher batting average and 7 of those had more home runs. Four (4) teams had better fielding.

IU's one bright spot is pitching, leading the B10 in ERA. It's terrific to hold opponents to 3 runs per game, but if your batters can't bring home 4, you still lose.

The data suggest that several teams, about four, are better than IU.

Reactions: baileyiu
"These" teams not more talented? Four (4) teams had more wins. Ten (10) teams had higher batting average and 7 of those had more home runs. Four (4) teams had better fielding.

IU's one bright spot is pitching, leading the B10 in ERA. It's terrific to hold opponents to 3 runs per game, but if your batters can't bring home 4, you still lose.

The data suggest that several teams, about four, are better than IU.
I don't think you will get any argument over that. It's no secret that our pitching is what kept us above water for most of the season. If Bierman's pitch count hadn't been so high at the end of the 6th, the outcome of game one might have been different, but that is how it goes in baseball. You have to have a good enough bullpen to get you through the game, and usually our bullpen does a pretty good job, but they just couldn't close it out in the first game in which a win would have been crucial to our chances to make the postseason. That's just my opinion, but I don't think I'm far off on that.

I'll check the game out to see how the team responds knowing that their season is probably over with after tomorrow. MD should know they are in the field of 64, but a sweep would certainly guarantee it, and it may help their seed and a favorable regional assignment. They will not take their foot off the gas.
You’re a really good fan. Wish I could muster the optimism you almost always display.

I don't think you will get any argument over that. It's no secret that our pitching is what kept us above water for most of the season. If Bierman's pitch count hadn't been so high at the end of the 6th, the outcome of game one might have been different, but that is how it goes in baseball. You have to have a good enough bullpen to get you through the game, and usually our bullpen does a pretty good job, but they just couldn't close it out in the first game in which a win would have been crucial to our chances to make the postseason. That's just my opinion, but I don't think I'm far off on that.
The bullpen might’ve had a fighting chance if the closer had been used at some point. I honestly have no clue what Mercer and crew are thinking half the time.

Reactions: ptrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT