4. RF Randy Bednar
5. 1B Maxwell Costes
6. DH Luke Shliger
7. 3B Tommy Gardiner
8. LF Tucker Flint
9. C Justin Vought

SP: RHP Sean Burke

T1:

Indiana strands a runner in scoring position.

Houston struck out swinging and Ashley grounded out to shortstop for the first two outs. Richardson walked and stole second, but Barr flied out to left field to end the frame.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B1 --> The game is tied 0-0.

Due Up:

1. Alleyne
2. Shaw
3. Cowles

The first inning seems like a continuation of the 10th of game one the way things are going.

My goodness. Four walks by Brown in the 1st. Two straight innings counting the 10th of game one where we gave up a run without the Terps getting a hit.

Reactions: mk23
My goodness. Four walks by Brown in the 1st. Two straight innings counting the 10th of game one where we gave up a run without the Terps getting a hit.
Make that five walks that have brought in two runs without a hit. It's the first inning and Brown is already on the cusp of 40 pitches.

• Sad
Reactions: mk23 and 82IU
B1:

Maryland scores two and takes a 2-0 lead.

Alleyne led off and flied out to right field. Shaw and Costes both walked and stole third and second, respectively, after a double steal. Bednar then walked, loading up the bases. Costes flied out to left for the second out, but Shliger and Gardiner both walked with the bases loaded, giving Maryland a 2-0 lead. Flint then struck out looking for the third and final out.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T2 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

5. Toetz
6. Fucci
7. Fougerousse

B1:

Maryland scores two and takes a 2-0 lead.

Alleyne led off and flied out to right field. Shaw and Costes both walked and stole third and second, respectively, after a double steal. Bednar then walked, loading up the bases. Costes flied out to left for the second out, but Shliger and Gardiner both walked with the bases loaded, giving Maryland a 2-0 lead. Flint then struck out looking for the third and final out.

Heading into T2 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

5. Toetz
6. Fucci
7. Fougerousse
Well, look at the bright side. Brown's no-hitter is still intact (dws.) I wouldn't blame the Terps at all if they have the feeling they have won the game already with the way the Hoosiers score runs. Here's hoping the Hoosiers make me eat my words.

T2:

Toetz struck out looking and Fucci walked, but Fougerousse and Jessee both struck out swinging to end the frame.

Heading into B2 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

9. Vought
1. Alleyne
2. Shaw

Get Brown out of there. He starts the 2nd with a walk. With another game to play this weekend, they don't want to go to their bullpen this early in the game, but he can't find the plate. He's going to walk us out of this game if they stick with him.

B2:

Vought and Alleyne walked to put two runners on base. Next up to bat, Shaw hit a ground ball to third and Barr stepped on third. Barr tried to get the double play at first base, but Shaw beat it out and Alleyne moved to second.

However, Alleyne was picked off at second base for the second out. Cowles then hit a ground ball to third, but Barr took too long to get rid of it and Cowles beat the throw at first, with Shaw moving to second. Bednar then struck out swinging for the final out of the inning.

Heading into T3 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

9. Hopkins
1. Houston
2. Ashley

T3:

Indiana goes down 1-2-3.

Hopkins popped out to shortstop, Houston struck out swinging and Ashley grounded out to second base.

Heading into B3 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

5. Costes
6. Shliger
7. Gardiner

Brown starts the 3rd with a walk. He was fortunate to get out of the 2nd with no damage done after walking the first two batters.

Can't believe I'm actually even checking in on this s-show. It sure gets old fast.

B3:

Costes drew a leadoff walk but Shliger and Gardiner struck out swinging, while Flint struck out looking to end the inning.

Heading into T4 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

3. Richardson
4. Barr
5. Toetz

T4:

Richardson and Barr both struck out swinging for the first two outs. A pitch then hit Toetz seemingly in the back of the head and he went down to the ground and was slow to get up. However, he was seemingly okay and went to first.

Fucci then struck out looking and it looked like Burke apologized to Toetz before turning and walking off the mound.

Heading into B4 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

9. Vought
1. Alleyne
2. Shaw

You can't help but feel like that 2-0 lead we gave up in the 1st on walks is almost insurmountable for us. It feels like we are trailing 10-0 as we flail away at the plate.

8 walks in 3 freaking innings is just unacceptable. If Brown can't find the plate, it's time for him to lose his spot.

8 walks in 3 freaking innings is just unacceptable. If Brown can't find the plate, it's time for him to lose his spot.
In all likelihood, and unless they can find some way to win this game, the season is over with no matter what happens tomorrow, and he will be competing for a rotation spot next season. Brown went from a dominate pitcher to one that has had control problems over the latter part of the season. It seems like it is either a walk or a strikeout for him when he is on the mound.

B4:

RHP Braydon Tucker replaced RHP McCade Brown

Tucker strikes out the side.

Vought struck out swinging, Alleyne struck out looking and Shaw struck out swinging.

Heading into T5 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

7. Fougerousse
8. Jessee
9. Hopkins

T5:

Indiana goes down 1-2-3.

Fougerousse struck out swinging, Jessee flied out to left and Hopkins struck out looking.

Heading into B5 --> Maryland leads 2-0.

Due Up:

3. Cowles
4. Bednar
5. Costes

If they did averages on strike outs instead of hits, we'd be golden.

B5:

Maryland scores one and takes a 3-0 lead.

Cowles led off and bunted perfectly toward third base for an infield single without a throw. Bednar then struck out swinging, but Costes doubled off the right-field wall and Cowles scored to extend Maryland's lead to 3-0.

Shliger grounded out to second and Costes moved to third, but Gardiner struck out swinging to end the inning.

Heading into T6 --> Maryland leads 3-0.

Due Up:

1. Houston
2. Ashley
3. Richardson

T6:

Indiana goes down in order.

Houston struck out swinging, Ashley flied out to left and Richardson struck out swinging.

Heading into B6 --> Maryland leads 3-0.

Due Up:

8. Flint
9. Vought
1. Alleyne

The Terps' pitcher has struck out 12 of 21 batters. I'm guessing that this is probably his best game of the season with IU being no-hitted so far. When you look at the two pitchers last Sat and Sun who entered the game against us with so-so numbers, they had career games against us as well as personal highs on strikeouts, so this game is not surprising. We make average pitchers look great.

B6:

Flint struck out swinging and Vought struck out looking for the first two outs. Alleyne singled to right field but was caught stealing at second base for the final out.

Heading into T7 --> Maryland leads 3-0.

Due Up:

4. Barr
5. Toetz
6. Fucci

The Terps' pitcher has struck out 12 of 21 batters. I'm guessing that this is probably his best game of the season with IU being no-hitted so far. When you look at the two pitchers last Sat and Sun who entered the game against us with so-so numbers, they had career games against us as well as personal highs on strikeouts, so this game is not surprising. We make average pitchers look great.
I just heard that the Terps pitcher is one K off of his career high of 13.

I see what you are saying but I'd like to point out Burke has 87 strikeouts this season, the fifth-most in the conference and his 3.94 ERA ranks the 14th lowest among starters. Heading into the series for those numbers.

Reactions: ptrich
I see what you are saying but I'd like to point out Burke has 87 strikeouts this season, the fifth-most in the conference and his 3.94 ERA ranks the 14th lowest among starters. Heading into the series for those numbers.
Actually, I was calling the two pitchers last weekend as so-so, and they had ERAs about a run higher than Burke. Burke obviously is a cut above those two pitchers, so it's not surprising that we can't do anything against him. I guess my post kind of linked Burke with those pitcher's but I was just pointing out that it doesn't seem to matter who we are hitting against.

T7:

Indiana strands the bases loaded and came close to scoring.

Barr grounded out to shortstop and Toetz fouled out to first base for the first two outs. Fucci then walked and Fougerousse singled to center field for the first hit of the game for IU, putting two runners on base.

RHP Elliot Zoellner replaced RHP Sean Burke

Jessee then walked, which loaded up the bases and Vercrumba hit a deep fly ball to right field, but it was caught on the warning track.

Heading into T7 --> Maryland leads 3-0.

Due Up:

2. Shaw
3. Cowles
4. Bednar

Actually, I was calling the two pitchers last weekend as so-so, and they had ERAs about a run higher than Burke. Burke obviously is a cut above those two pitchers, so it's not surprising that we can't do anything against him. I guess my post kind of linked Burke with those pitcher's but I was just pointing out that it doesn't seem to matter who we are hitting against.
I understand what you are saying; all good!

Reactions: ptrich
Well, we finally got a hit off Burke and chased him, and had the bases loaded in the 7th, but couldn't get that clutch hit. We don't get many opportunities like that, so it's really disappointing.

B7:

RHP Reese Sharp replaced RHP Braydon Tucker

Maryland scores two and makes it 5-0.

Shaw led off and tripled to right field, later scoring to extend the lead to 4-0 after Cowles singled up the middle. Bednar then walked to put two runners on. Both Cowles and Bednar advanced to third and second, respectively, on a wild pitch. Sharp then intentionally walked Costes, loading up the bases.

Next up to bat, Shliger singled up the middle and Cowles scored, extending Maryland's lead to 5-0. Gardiner flied out to center field, Flint struck out looking and Vought flied out to the warning track in deep center field for the final out.

Heading into T8 --> Maryland leads 5-0.

Due Up:

1. Houston
2. Ashley
3. Richardson

T8:

Indiana is on the board.

Houston led off and struck out swinging. Next up to bat, Ashley hit a solo home run to left-center for IU's second hit of the game, cutting Maryland's lead to 5-1. Richardson then grounded out to second base and Barr struck out looking to end the frame.

Heading into B8 --> Maryland leads 5-1.

Due Up:

1. Alleyne
2. Shaw
3. Cowles

Ashley, who has been in a major hitting slump, is the only bright spot for IU in game 2 but it's not nearly enough so far and we are down to our final three outs. I brought up Ashley's hitting of late, but Barr has also been slumping big time.

This team doesn’t deserve a Tournament berth and Mercer deserves some heat for this collapse. These Big Ten teams aren’t more talented.

B8:

RHP Connor Manous replaced RHP Reese Sharp

Maryland strands the bases loaded.

Alleyne hit a leadoff single to right field and moved to third after Shaw grounded out to third base. Cowles and Bednar then walked, loading up the bases. However, Costes flied out to right field and Shliger grounded out to second base to end the inning.

Heading into T9 --> Maryland leads 5-1.

Due Up:

5. Espalin
6. Fucci
7. Fougerousse

T9:

Espalin led off and lined out to left field. Fucci then walked and Fougerousse struck out looking for the second out. Fucci went to second on a wild pitch and moved to third after Jessee hit a ground ball to first base for an infield single. UMD's 1B Costes probably should have taken it himself but opted to flip it to the pitcher and Jessee beat it out.

Next up to bat, Southern singled through the left side and Fucci scored to make it 5-2 while Jessee advanced to second. Pinch hitter Colopy struck out looking to end the game.

IU loses 5-2 as Maryland sweeps the doubleheader.

Offensive Comparison
STATIndianaMaryland
Struck Out Looking6-165-13
Reached on Error00
Reached on Fielder's Choice01
Runners Advanced02
Two-Out RBIs12
Left On Base by Batters813
Overall Hitting.129 (4-31).267 (8-30)
Two Outs.250 (3-12).222 (2-9)
Runners On.300 (3-10).200 (4-20)
Runners in Scoring Pos..400 (2-5).154 (2-13)
Lead Off.000 (0-9).625 (5-8)
Runners on 3rd, Less than 2 Out0 (0-0).333 (2-6)
Bases Loaded.000 (0-1).125 (1-8)
Advancement Opportunities.364 (4-11).500 (13-26)
Pinch Hitting.000 (0-2)0 (0-0)
Hitting vs. LHP0 (0-0)0 (0-0)

Seems likely tomorrow is end of season so let’s hope for their own sakes they feel no pressure tomorrow. They have proved in past three weeks they can’t handle it well.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT