4. RF Randy Bednar
5. 1B Maxwell Costes
6. DH Bobby Zmarzlak
7. 3B Tommy Gardiner
8. LF Troy Schreffler
9. C Riley Langerman

SP: RHP Jason Savacool

T1:

Houston struck out swinging and Ashley flied out to right field for the first two outs. Richardson then singled up the middle but was caught stealing at second base to end the frame.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B1 --> The game is tied 0-0.

Due Up:

1. Alleyne
2. Shaw
3. Cowles

B1:

Maryland takes a 1-0 lead.

Alleyne led off and grounded out to second base. Shaw then doubled to left-center and a pitch hit Cowles to put runners on first and second. Bednar then singled up the middle, but Shaw had to freeze at second due to the ball being in the air and did not score. Costes struck out for the second out with the bases loaded, but Zmarzlak walked, scoring Shaw from third to give Maryland a 1-0 lead.

Gardiner then hit a ground ball to third and Barr fielded it before tagging third base with his glove for the final out.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T2 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

4. Barr
5. Toetz
6. Fucci

Reactions: mk23
B1:

Maryland takes a 1-0 lead.

Alleyne led off and grounded out to second base. Shaw then doubled to left-center and a pitch hit Cowles to put runners on first and second. Bednar then singled up the middle, but Shaw had to freeze at second due to the ball being in the air and did not score. Costes struck out for the second out with the bases loaded, but Zmarzlak walked, scoring Shaw from third to give Maryland a 1-0 lead.

Gardiner then hit a ground ball to third and Barr fielded it before tagging third base with his glove for the final out.

Heading into T2 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

4. Barr
5. Toetz
6. Fucci
Lucky they got out of that with only one. Let’s get it back.

Reactions: MatthewByrne5
T2:

Indiana goes down in order.

Barr flew out to left field, Toetz struck out swinging and Fucci flied out to deep right-center for the third out.

Heading into B2 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

8. Schreffler
9. Langerman
1. Alleyne

B2:

Schreffler struck out swinging and Langerman flied out to right field for the first two outs. Alleyne then singled to left-center but was caught stealing at second base for the final out.

Heading into T3 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

7. Fougerousse
8. Colopy
9. Hopkins

T3:

Indiana goes down in order again.

Fougerousse grounded out to shortstop and both Colopy and Hopkins struck out swinging.

Heading into B3 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

2. Shaw
3. Cowles
4. Bednar

B3:

Maryland is retired in order.

Shaw grounded out to short, Cowles walked but was caught stealing at second base and Bednar struck out looking.

Heading into T4 --> Maryland leads 1-0.

Due Up:

1. Houston
2. Ashley
3. Richardson

T4:

Indiana scores one and ties the game.

Houston drew a leadoff walk and then Ashley flied out to left field. Next up to bat, Richardson singled up the middle and Houston went to third. Barr hit a sacrifice fly to right field and Houston scored to tie the game 1-1.

Toetz then grounded out to second base to end the frame.

Heading into B4 --> The game is tied 1-1.

Due Up:

5. Costes
6. Zmarzlak
7. Gardiner

B4:

Costes drew a leadoff walk, but Zmarzlak grounded into a 6-4-3 double play for the first two outs. Gardiner singled to center field, but Schreffler struck out swinging for the final out.

Heading into T5 --> The game is tied 1-1.

Due Up:

6. Fucci
7. Fougerousse
8. Colopy

T5:

Fucci drew a leadoff walk, but Fougerousse and Colopy struck out swinging and Hopkins lined out to center field.

Heading into B5 --> The game is tied 1-1.

Due Up:

9. Langerman
1. Alleyne
2. Shaw

B5:

Maryland goes down 1-2-3.

Langerman popped out to second base, Alleyne flied out to right field and Shaw grounded out to second base.

Heading into T6 --> The game is tied 1-1.

Due Up:

1. Houston
2. Ashley
3. Richardson

I thought I would add that Baseball America updated their field of 64 today and they dropped IU out of it and have them in the first four out with Michigan being in the last four in. Both D1baseball and Baseball America have been updating their field projections on a daily basis with it being the last week of the regular season. They aren't the NCAA so who knows what they are thinking. I would assume the NCAA selection committee had already selected a field to work with going into the weekend and are making necessary adjustments to it as game results come in over the weekend.

T6:

IU takes a 3-1 lead.

Houston hit a leadoff double to left field and advanced to third after tagging up when Ashley flied out to right field. Richardson then singled to centerfield and Houston scored to give Indiana a 2-1 lead. A pitch then hit Barr and Toetz walked, which loaded up the bases. Fucci hit a sacrifice fly to left field and Richardson scored to extend the lead to 3-1. Next up to bat, Fougerousse flied out to shallow left-center field for the third out.

Heading into B6 --> Indiana leads 3-1.

Due Up:

3. Cowles
4. Bednar
5. Costes

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
I assume the 6th will be Bierman last inning on the mound and with the game he has had, I wish his pitch count wasn't as high as it is.

B6:

Maryland goes down 1-2-3.

Cowles struck out looking, Bednar popped out to Houston in shallow left and Costes struck out looking as Bierman yelled with emotion, walking off the mound following the punchout.

Heading into T7 --> Indiana leads 3-1.

Due Up:

8. Colopy
9. Hopkins
1. Houston

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
T7:

RHP David Falco replaced RHP Jason Savacool

Colopy struck out looking and Hopkins struck out swinging for the first two outs. Houston then singled down the right-field line, but Ashley hit a ground ball to UMD's shortstop Cowles, who flipped to second for the force out to end the frame.

Heading into B7 --> Indiana leads 3-1.

Due Up:

6. Zmarzlak
7. Gardiner
8. Schreffler

B7:

RHP Grant Macciocchi replaced RHP Gabe Bierman

Macciocchi strikes out the side as Maryland goes down 1-2-3.

Zmarzlak struck out swinging, Gardiner struck out looking and Shreffler struck out swinging for the third and final out.

Heading into T8 --> Indiana leads 3-1.

Due Up:

3. Richardson
4. Barr
5. Toetz

T8:

Richardson lined out to centerfield and Barr struck out swinging for the first two outs. Toetz then doubled down the right-field line, but Fucci struck out swinging.

Heading into B8 --> Indiana leads 3-1.

Due Up:

9. Langerman
1. Alleyne
2. Shaw

Those are the kinds of runs IU rarely gets. Not saying it was cheap, but dang.

B8:

Pinch hitter Shliger led off the frame and doubled down the left-field line. He then moved to third after Alleyne flied out to right field. Next up to bat, Shaw grounded out to second base and Shliger scored to cut the deficit to 3-2.

Cowles then flied out to deep left-center field on the warning track for the third and final out.

Heading into T9 --> Indiana leads 3-2.

Due Up:

7. Fougerousse
8. Colopy
9. Hopkins

That was Macciocchi's first earned run given up this season in 16 IP. I'm glad we got through Cowles in the batting order since he has 17 homers on the season.

Bad day at the plate for Colopy with four Ks in four plate appearances.

I can't believe it. We were two outs away from a win and they tie it. That was just Costes 2nd homer of the season.

• Angry
T9:

Indiana goes down in order.

Fougerousse flied out to right field, Colopy struck out looking and Hopkins grounded out to the catcher unassisted.

Heading into B9 --> Indiana leads 3-2.

Due Up:

4. Bednar
5. Costes
6. Zmarzlak

B9:

Bednar struck out swinging and then Costes homered to left-center to tie the game 3-3. Next up to bat, Zmarzlak grounded out to first base unassisted and Gardiner struck out swinging for the final out.

Heading into T10 --> The game is tied 3-3.

Due Up:

1. Houston
2. Ashley
3. Richardson

I know it's totally second-guessing, but I'll be damned if I'm not going with my closer there.

T10:

Indiana goes down 1-2-3.

Houston struck out swinging, Ashley popped out to UMD's second baseman in shallow right-center and Richardson lined out to center field.

Heading into B10 --> The game is tied 3-3.

Due Up:

8. Schreffler
9. Vought
1. Alleyne

I know it's totally second-guessing, but I'll be damned if I'm not going with my closer there.
The way we have been scoring runs of late, the Terps have to feel good about themselves with it being in extra innings.

The have to pull Macciocchi. He's seems to be shaken up over that homer he gave up to tie the game in the 9th.

They didn't pull Macciocchi and he hits the next batter to load the bases with one out.

I swear it's like they think it's all going to be OK whether they win or not. I just don't get it.

B10: Mid-Inning Update

Pinch hitter Flint drew a leadoff walk and moved to second after Vought sac bunted to first base. A pitch hit both Alleyne and Shaw to load up the bases.

RHP Nathan Stahl replaced RHP Grant Macciocchi

B10:

Cowles walked with the bases loaded and Flint scored.

Maryland wins 4-3 and takes the series opener.

Awful loss. They score the winning run without a hit. We have really put ourselves in a difficult situation with the tournament. We have to do something in game 2 or IMO we are watching the end of our season this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT