ADVERTISEMENT

Live Game Thread Improvements?

MatthewByrne5

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2021
Hey everyone,

I have loved doing the live game thread for baseball games this season.

While I think I am getting better with the thread each new week, there is always room to improve!

I appreciated whoever told me that I should use "flied out" whenever I talk about a flyout. Growing up around baseball, I usually used flied out and flew out interchangeably but flied out is standard baseball jargon, as that person said.

Feedback like that not only makes me better but helps make the thread better too. If you guys have any suggestions or things you want to see in the live game thread, let me know and I will try my best to make it happen.

Happy that we are back in first place now. There were some concerns about the weekend, but a wins a win. Be on the lookout for an article soon breaking down the series.

On a side note, Indiana baseball is now in first and men's soccer advanced to the third round of the NCAA tourney! As always, Go Hoosiers!

Hey everyone,

While I think I am getting better with the thread each new week, there is always room to improve!

I appreciated whoever told me that I should use "flied out" whenever I talk about a flyout. Growing up around baseball, I usually used flied out and flew out interchangeably but flied out is standard baseball jargon, as that person said.

Feedback like that not only makes me better but helps make the thread better too. If you guys have any suggestions or things you want to see in the live game thread, let me know and I will try my best to make it happen.

Happy that we are back in first place now. There were some concerns about the weekend, but a wins a win. Be on the lookout for an article soon breaking down the series.

On a side note, Indiana baseball is now in first and men's soccer advanced to the third round of the NCAA tourney! As always, Go Hoosiers!
Nice post. Ever consider scoring each inning like a book? Might have to teach a few posters. Go Hoosiers

I've found your inning recaps pretty helpful when I can't watch the whole game. Every now and then duty calls and I have to step away from the action. Usually the score is much different when I return so I appreciate being able to go thru your thread to see what happened. Thanks for doing it.

I can't think of anything. I think you are doing a really good job of it. You're right about there still being some concerns especially with the errors which seem to come in bunches after we have one like it's contagious.

Nice post. Ever consider scoring each inning like a book? Might have to teach a few posters. Go Hoosiers
I don't score the game in an official scorebook per se, but I score the game in a composition notebook. I like to have notes about each play to have a more descriptive thread. It also helps add a little info if need be when I publish the recaps.

I've found your inning recaps pretty helpful when I can't watch the whole game. Every now and then duty calls and I have to step away from the action. Usually the score is much different when I return so I appreciate being able to go thru your thread to see what happened. Thanks for doing it.
That's great news to hear that my thread is helpful. I recently started adding who is due up for the next half-inning because I think that's interesting information to know. What do you all think? Is it helpful to see who is due up? Or at least something I should keep?

Reactions: ulrey and ptrich
I can't think of anything. I think you are doing a really good job of it. You're right about there still being some concerns especially with the errors which seem to come in bunches after we have one like it's contagious.
Thank you! And yes, I would agree. It was a good series win, but the whole team wasn't necessarily sharp. Sommer, Brown and the defense were a bit shaky. Still, it's excellent IU won the series.

I don't want to sound like I'm looking for the negatives in the article I just published, but it's only uphill from here in terms of opponents. Plus, good teams feast on errors and good hitting teams force good at-bats and take advantage of walks. Just a tad bit concerning, but we'll see.

Reactions: ulrey
I don't score the game in an official scorebook per se, but I score the game in a composition notebook. I like to have notes about each play to have a more descriptive thread. It also helps add a little info if need be when I publish the recaps.
I want to add my compliments as well. Doing a great job and thanks for keeping us posted. I check threads on every game. Well done! Respectfully, Mobile

Hey everyone,

I also think you are doing a nice job.
Hey everyone,

I also appreciate your work. I did happen to visit the Iowa baseball site called "Hawkeye Report" and their live game thread provider "Franisdaman" does a nice job as well. He did do something that I appreciated. He highlights things in BOLD type that a significant in each paragraph. I didn't really explain it well. You might just take a look, but thank you again.

Reactions: mk23
I also think you are doing a nice job.

I also appreciate your work. I did happen to visit the Iowa baseball site called "Hawkeye Report" and their live game thread provider "Franisdaman" does a nice job as well. He did do something that I appreciated. He highlights things in BOLD type that a significant in each paragraph. I didn't really explain it well. You might just take a look, but thank you again.
I will take a look. Thanks!

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. You're doing a great job. I think it is wise to continue to stick to a simple factual summary of the action...and resist the temptation to make it journalistic or dramatic. That's for the post-mortem.

Assuming that your intended reader is not also following the broadcast, it probably helps a little to announce the "next up," since it is occasionally relevant, especially going into the last inning or so.

Team fielding is at .975 which is very acceptable. The two individuals who need to improve in that area are Barr (.908) and Espalin (.923). Those 2 positions (3B, SS) have to be better. And quite frankly, with Espalin hitting .103, I’m surprised they haven’t tried to find a better alternative at that critical defensive position:

I think you're doing a great job and appreciate the fact that you provide details.

You composition notebook comment made me think of this Twitter handle.

• Haha
Reactions: MatthewByrne5
Hahahaha. Mine doesn't look exactly like that, but that's some real dedication!
Some of the best ones are when she makes a pie during the 7th inning stretch or misses innings because uncle Paul and Aunt Bessy came by for a visit.

She obviously loved her Reds.

Team fielding is at .975 which is very acceptable. The two individuals who need to improve in that area are Barr (.908) and Espalin (.923). Those 2 positions (3B, SS) have to be better. And quite frankly, with Espalin hitting .103, I’m surprised they haven’t tried to find a better alternative at that critical defensive position:
I keep thinking the same thing. I guess technically they did give Houston a shot. But he wasn't any better at the plate or in the field. Wonder who else on the roster is a true SS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT