ADVERTISEMENT

Linebacker Grades/Critical Third quarter errors

Superstar84b

Freshman
Sep 1, 2017
I think that TA has said it before, and I agree that the Linebacker play will probably determine how far this defense goes. I also think that the loss of Marcus Oliver really showed up in the first game. I wanted to grade the linebackers out and note some critical errors that the group has to watch out for against UVA. I graded Chris Covington, Scales and Jones. I'll add Ball to the list next week since he is an outside LB hybrid Safety essentially lining up in the slot.

Chris Covington- Covington logged 62 snaps. Covington did have 7 tackles and 3 stops (a stop is a tackle of 3 yards or less that does not result in a first down). 5 of the tackles were solos and 2 were assisted. He showed great effort the entire night in sprinting to the football, and had a couple of hustle plays that prevented big gains. Where Covington struggled severely was in pass coverage. He was targeted 4 times and Barrett was 4/4 for 98 yards and a TD when looking covingtons way. That is a staggering 24.5 yards per target and an NCAA passer rating of 388.3. On play #52 Covington is supposed to be giving Scales help inside. This was a critical 3rd and 2 play in the 4th quarter when IU was still ahead. Scales is in man coverage against the boundary slot receiver and Covington is supposed to give help inside on any crosser. Instead, his eyes are in the backfield, Scales has no help, and the ball is thrown on a drag route across the middle where convington should be. This leads to not only a conversion, but an explosive 28 yard gain that leads to a touchdown drive that gives Ohio State the lead. Later on play #68 IU is in cover three. This means Covington has the low hook zone and must relate to the #3 receiver. Ohio State runs another mesh route and for some reason Covington is looking in the backfield again. This is where Campbell breaks free for a 59 yard touchdown. No doubt Campbell is extremely gifted but this play should never occur because Covington has to be there. The will linebacker will take the other dragger and Chris has got to at least be in his zone. If Chris is in his zone it is either a no throw or at best a catch and tackle. But when you gave a 4.3 receiver wide open access to the middle of the field, bad things happen. Covington also struggled the entire night with getting cut off on zone running plays. His reaction and anticipation appears to be a bit slow, but correctable. I think that Covington is a good athlete, and after a little film review he should be able to recover. His issues seem mental, clearly not physical. What Oliver didn't have in athletic ability, he made up for with high football intelligence. Covington will have to really focus the rest of the way. Covington finished the day with a -7 grade which simply won't cut it.

Scales- Scales logged 65 snaps. Scales showed great effort and was the best linebacker on either team imho. He finished the day with 12 tackles, and 6 stops. Scales struggled severely in coverage however, and fell over on a couple of plays in man to man coverage. He was targeted 5 times. He had one pass defended, but 4 were completed for 110 yards and a touchdown. He gave up 22 yards per target. As I mentioned above, on play 63 he simply lets the Wideout continue to run. Although he should have help from Covington, he has to communicate this and he can't stop running with the wide out. On multiple plays he simply fell over, tripped, didn't communicate, and generally looked lost in coverage. He allowed JT to accomplish a 330.8 NCAA passer rating when looking his way. Scales had a great 4th down stop, excellent hustle, and played with a lot of energy. I think that when you take his pass coverage out of the equation he had a near perfect game. But in today's college football linebackers have to be able to cover. As we know, Scales has the physical ability to cover and has multiple career interceptions. As with Covington, his issues appear to be mental in pass coverage, not physical, and these are correctable errors. He finished with a -2 grade which must improve, and I expect it to improve in week two.

Raekwon Jones- Jones had a rough day, and he highlights the depth concerns behind scales. Who's going to give Scales a break? Jones finished with a -5 grade on only 9 snaps, and almost gave up two touchdowns. He did have 1 assist. On one position alone he had a missed tackle, was pancaked and then almost give up a vertical touchdown to a tight end who outweighs him by 40 pounds. Luckily JT overthrew the tight end on that play. As if typical of CKW however, they'd come back to attack Jones in pass coverage in a couple of positions. On the first play from the minus 26 yard
Line the Hoosiers played a cover 4 concept to the boundary. Jones has to be the curl player and relate to the #2 receiver. Ohio state runs a middle stretch concept where #2 to the field runs a drug, and #2 to the boundary crosses behind him at a 10 yard depth. When number #2 to the boundary leaves Jones his eyes should automatically turn to see if anyone is coming to replace that #2 receiver. He does not do his jobs and begins to look in the backfield. #2 sneaks in front of his face, catches the pass uncovered, and takes off for a 74 yard score. You have to seem the theme by this point... this has nothing to do with talent, but a lack of focus and being in the right position. Jones gave up an NCAA passer rating of 525.8 to Barrett and finished -5 for the day, and all of this came in only a handful of snaps.

As you see, many of the breakdowns can be attributed to the linebacker group in the third quarter. If you take away mental breakdowns, OSU may not take the lead when they did, and that would've completely changed the course of the game. Many of the long touchdowns were on simple short crossing routes, and I'd wager that CKW noticed in the first half that Scales was actually falling over in coverage, that Covington looked a bit lost in coverage, and he saw that Jones didn't look comfortable. OSU made it a point to expose the IU linebackers in coverage and this comes down to great coaching and play calling. The good news is that these aren't physical or talent issues... but the bad news is that they're mental issues that must get corrected or else teams will consistently pick on our linebackers. Oliver may have not been the fastest Linebacker, but he was consistently in the right zones which limited big passing plays. The current linebackers have to pick up the slack because during the 3rd quarter stretch when they broke down is when OSU began to pull ahead.

Sorry for the spelling errors. Hard to type on the iPhone. Big hands haha. I need to do this from a laptop next time.

Reactions: 76-1
I think that TA has said it before, and I agree that the Linebacker play will probably determine how far this defense goes. I also think that the loss of Marcus Oliver really showed up in the first game. I wanted to grade the linebackers out and note some critical errors that the group has to watch out for against UVA. I graded Chris Covington, Scales and Jones. I'll add Ball to the list next week since he is an outside LB hybrid Safety essentially lining up in the slot.

Chris Covington- Covington logged 62 snaps. Covington did have 7 tackles and 3 stops (a stop is a tackle of 3 yards or less that does not result in a first down). 5 of the tackles were solos and 2 were assisted. He showed great effort the entire night in sprinting to the football, and had a couple of hustle plays that prevented big gains. Where Covington struggled severely was in pass coverage. He was targeted 4 times and Barrett was 4/4 for 98 yards and a TD when looking covingtons way. That is a staggering 24.5 yards per target and an NCAA passer rating of 388.3. On play #52 Covington is supposed to be giving Scales help inside. This was a critical 3rd and 2 play in the 4th quarter when IU was still ahead. Scales is in man coverage against the boundary slot receiver and Covington is supposed to give help inside on any crosser. Instead, his eyes are in the backfield, Scales has no help, and the ball is thrown on a drag route across the middle where convington should be. This leads to not only a conversion, but an explosive 28 yard gain that leads to a touchdown drive that gives Ohio State the lead. Later on play #68 IU is in cover three. This means Covington has the low hook zone and must relate to the #3 receiver. Ohio State runs another mesh route and for some reason Covington is looking in the backfield again. This is where Campbell breaks free for a 59 yard touchdown. No doubt Campbell is extremely gifted but this play should never occur because Covington has to be there. The will linebacker will take the other dragger and Chris has got to at least be in his zone. If Chris is in his zone it is either a no throw or at best a catch and tackle. But when you gave a 4.3 receiver wide open access to the middle of the field, bad things happen. Covington also struggled the entire night with getting cut off on zone running plays. His reaction and anticipation appears to be a bit slow, but correctable. I think that Covington is a good athlete, and after a little film review he should be able to recover. His issues seem mental, clearly not physical. What Oliver didn't have in athletic ability, he made up for with high football intelligence. Covington will have to really focus the rest of the way. Covington finished the day with a -7 grade which simply won't cut it.

Scales- Scales logged 65 snaps. Scales showed great effort and was the best linebacker on either team imho. He finished the day with 12 tackles, and 6 stops. Scales struggled severely in coverage however, and fell over on a couple of plays in man to man coverage. He was targeted 5 times. He had one pass defended, but 4 were completed for 110 yards and a touchdown. He gave up 22 yards per target. As I mentioned above, on play 63 he simply lets the Wideout continue to run. Although he should have help from Covington, he has to communicate this and he can't stop running with the wide out. On multiple plays he simply fell over, tripped, didn't communicate, and generally looked lost in coverage. He allowed JT to accomplish a 330.8 NCAA passer rating when looking his way. Scales had a great 4th down stop, excellent hustle, and played with a lot of energy. I think that when you take his pass coverage out of the equation he had a near perfect game. But in today's college football linebackers have to be able to cover. As we know, Scales has the physical ability to cover and has multiple career interceptions. As with Covington, his issues appear to be mental in pass coverage, not physical, and these are correctable errors. He finished with a -2 grade which must improve, and I expect it to improve in week two.

Raekwon Jones- Jones had a rough day, and he highlights the depth concerns behind scales. Who's going to give Scales a break? Jones finished with a -5 grade on only 9 snaps, and almost gave up two touchdowns. He did have 1 assist. On one position alone he had a missed tackle, was pancaked and then almost give up a vertical touchdown to a tight end who outweighs him by 40 pounds. Luckily JT overthrew the tight end on that play. As if typical of CKW however, they'd come back to attack Jones in pass coverage in a couple of positions. On the first play from the minus 26 yard
Line the Hoosiers played a cover 4 concept to the boundary. Jones has to be the curl player and relate to the #2 receiver. Ohio state runs a middle stretch concept where #2 to the field runs a drug, and #2 to the boundary crosses behind him at a 10 yard depth. When number #2 to the boundary leaves Jones his eyes should automatically turn to see if anyone is coming to replace that #2 receiver. He does not do his jobs and begins to look in the backfield. #2 sneaks in front of his face, catches the pass uncovered, and takes off for a 74 yard score. You have to seem the theme by this point... this has nothing to do with talent, but a lack of focus and being in the right position. Jones gave up an NCAA passer rating of 525.8 to Barrett and finished -5 for the day, and all of this came in only a handful of snaps.

As you see, many of the breakdowns can be attributed to the linebacker group in the third quarter. If you take away mental breakdowns, OSU may not take the lead when they did, and that would've completely changed the course of the game. Many of the long touchdowns were on simple short crossing routes, and I'd wager that CKW noticed in the first half that Scales was actually falling over in coverage, that Covington looked a bit lost in coverage, and he saw that Jones didn't look comfortable. OSU made it a point to expose the IU linebackers in coverage and this comes down to great coaching and play calling. The good news is that these aren't physical or talent issues... but the bad news is that they're mental issues that must get corrected or else teams will consistently pick on our linebackers. Oliver may have not been the fastest Linebacker, but he was consistently in the right zones which limited big passing plays. The current linebackers have to pick up the slack because during the 3rd quarter stretch when they broke down is when OSU began to pull ahead.
In your view, how much of OSU's exploitation of the IULB's was a function of Wilson's skill as an offensive coach and how much was his "inside knowledge" of their tendencies and deficiencies as individuals and as a unit?

In your view, how much of OSU's exploitation of the IULB's was a function of Wilson's skill as an offensive coach and how much was his "inside knowledge" of their tendencies and deficiencies as individuals and as a unit?
Well I'd start by saying these plays were basic Wilson plays. He used to run these on the first day of spring practice... so he didn't even really open up the play book. I think that the genius of Wilson was simply exploiting some holes in the IU offense that he saw in the defense in the first half. So you can attribute the play calling to his skills. I don't think that it was based off of tendencies or deficiencies that he knew about the players as much as it was about him making first half adjustments. When he saw scales fall on a couple of mesh routes he probably had a talk with JT and said "we need to go back to that, you need to hit some drag routes." And obviously it led to explosive plays.

Well I'd start by saying these plays were basic Wilson plays. He used to run these on the first day of spring practice... so he didn't even really open up the play book. I think that the genius of Wilson was simply exploiting some holes in the IU offense that he saw in the defense in the first half. So you can attribute the play calling to his skills. I don't think that it was based off of tendencies or deficiencies that he knew about the players as much as it was about him making first half adjustments. When he saw scales fall on a couple of mesh routes he probably had a talk with JT and said "we need to go back to that, you need to hit some drag routes." And obviously it led to explosive plays.
Have heard that some NFL scouts have already expressed concern regarding Scales' coverage skills, and that part of the reason he decided to stay in school was to address that aspect of his game.

Have heard that some NFL scouts have already expressed concern regarding Scales' coverage skills, and that part of the reason he decided to stay in school was to address that aspect of his game.
I'd agree with that assessment after game one. His run defense was great. He had a lot of tackles at or behind the line. He showed great hustle. But in coverage he really struggled in man and in zone. I don't think it's a physical issue, but more of a mental (understanding route concepts, coverages) issue. That's the one hole in his game right now.

Great breakdown. Thanks!

Losing Oliver was my #1 concern going into this season. Not sure who advised him to come out early or if he just felt it was time to give it a shot but sure do miss him. Gone he is though so the guys that are here need to pick up the slack.

One wouldn't think a freshman would be the answer since this is a read/react + film study issue. Let's hope TA gets it fixed and fast.

You have to wonder if this isn't a detail issue that Allens time being spread a lot thinner than last season has inadvertently accidentally allowed by benign neglect?

Kevin either did us a favor or cursed us for the entire season depending on how the LB's work to solve the issue. He certainly exposed them.

Thanks very much - fantastic analysis. Two questions, are you a current or former coach, and do you break down any other positions? Again, thanks for sharing.

The original post should get some sort of most information post award (seriously). One of the best I've read on here.

Thanks for taking the time Superstar84b!!

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Great breakdown. Thanks!

Losing Oliver was my #1 concern going into this season. Not sure who advised him to come out early or if he just felt it was time to give it a shot but sure do miss him. Gone he is though so the guys that are here need to pick up the slack.

One wouldn't think a freshman would be the answer since this is a read/react + film study issue. Let's hope TA gets it fixed and fast.

You have to wonder if this isn't a detail issue that Allens time being spread a lot thinner than last season has inadvertently accidentally allowed by benign neglect?

Kevin either did us a favor or cursed us for the entire season depending on how the LB's work to solve the issue. He certainly exposed them.
My greatest concern in having to open with OSU is that talent is so often the difference maker in opening games. KW used to comment all the time that teams make the greatest strides between week one and week two. The film doesn't lie, and it's the best teacher for those who really want to get better. I don't think there is anything less conducive to winning an opener than playing a physically superior team.

Of course there is no good time to play a team as good as OSU. Late in the season you have to worry about attrition and their superior depth. Ideally, the best time to play them would be having a bye week in front of that game with them being between two strong opponents. A true trap game for them. I hate having to open with a conference game. To me, you always want that physical advantage in game one so you have margin for error. I look at how badly Louisville played, yet managed on sheer physical talent to get a win.

Hopefully we make big strides this week.

Reactions: 76-1 and snowling
Did Dameon Willis get banged up? He should be getting more time than Jones. Willis played very well against Purdue last year. I thought he would be starting this season.

Reactions: td75
Did Dameon Willis get banged up? He should be getting more time than Jones. Willis played very well against Purdue last year. I thought he would be starting this season.
Yeah, he got hurt on the kickoff team, I believe. (That or a different special teams play.) Looked like a concussion, he was wobbly and had to be helped off when he finally was able to get up.

I would also add that Willis is the back up at Mike linebacker for Covington, so jones and Kiante Walton are the only back ups available for scales. Walton got a few limited reps, but may be struggling with the transition from safety. So it looks like Jones is going to. E the primary Will back up for the near future unless Walton can get up to speed quickly.

Jones didn't react on the long TD. Very slow getting over and didn't read the play at all. Whenever Scales went out it was a joke at LB.

I would also add that Willis is the back up at Mike linebacker for Covington, so jones and Kiante Walton are the only back ups available for scales. Walton got a few limited reps, but may be struggling with the transition from safety. So it looks like Jones is going to. E the primary Will back up for the near future unless Walton can get up to speed quickly.

Reactions: Superstar84b
Jones didn't react on the long TD. Very slow getting over and didn't read the play at all. Whenever Scales went out it was a joke at LB.

My impression was that it was Jones that TA was speaking of when said he "didn't like his body language" when he was told to go in for Scales (I could be wrong because TA didn't mention either name. That's just my impression).

Bump up to the top (since super84 deserves a reward for his time and effort):D

Thanks for the data and the analysis. We need more people on here wanting to talk football after a painful summer. I have not had the time to rewatch the game with the real time emotion out of me so this helps.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Noticed this as well. Thin.

Looks like this slot and the OL are our weak points. This was probably where our "out due to ADI (Athletic Department Incompetence) LB/Ath was penciled in to play. Thanks much to Fred and his minions...:(:confused::cool:

Looks like this slot and the OL are our weak points. This was probably where our "out due to ADI (Athletic Department Incompetence) LB/Ath was penciled in to play. Thanks much to Fred and his minions...:(:confused::cool:

Ugh...don't remind me.

I think this shows the difficulty of replacing a player like Oliver.

I agree with 76-1, Fitzgerald was absolutely looking to play BIG minutes for this defense. Losing him to Fred's minion's inability to correctly do their job is so damn frustrating.

It's very clear that our defense needed Bryant's talents and athletic skillset out there on Thursday night.

Coach Allen must be horrified over such a horrible institutional gaffe.

I agree with 76-1, Fitzgerald was absolutely looking to play BIG minutes for this defense. Losing him to Fred's minion's inability to correctly do their job is so damn frustrating.

It's very clear that our defense needed Bryant's talents and athletic skillset out there on Thursday night.

Coach Allen must be horrified over such a horrible institutional gaffe.

They clearly need him but for a Freshman's first snaps to be in that game is a tough spot. I think it is a stretch for those that say he could have made a material impact on the outcome.

Still difficult the fathom that the NCAA did not step in and do the right thing ethically for the young man. Fine IU for the gaffe..whatever, but do the right thing.

I just looked at the participation report and saw that McGinnis didn't play, even though he is listed on the 2 deep. Anyone know if he was available for the OSU game? I thought he would be in the mix for some snaps.

Thanks for the great analysis. I can't watch an IU loss again to see what went wrong. It drives me crazy and as I tell my kids that is a short drive.

Fitzgerald would have played S or Husky but would have played. And special teams. Our depth at LB is the problem. Willis got hurt and Jones was terrible. We lost Dawson Fletcher also so we need some depth there. You figure Kiante Walton was moved here for this reason. I don't know the difference in those LB responsibilities but Jones proved he isn't the short term answer. May have to burn a redshirt or play a walk on.

Great information. Also great scouting material for opposing coaches. Quite the conundrum we have here.... vbg

Great information. Also great scouting material for opposing coaches. Quite the conundrum we have here.... vbg

Most of the people we play are sharp enough to have identified most of those breakdowns. Might save a GA a few steps though...

I hope "84" continues if he finds the time. As long as he doesn't give up something that's not already on tape I'm good with it... I'm sure that if our Staff isn't comfortable they'll ask him to cease & desist.

Fitzgerald would have played S or Husky but would have played. And special teams. Our depth at LB is the problem. Willis got hurt and Jones was terrible. We lost Dawson Fletcher also so we need some depth there. You figure Kiante Walton was moved here for this reason. I don't know the difference in those LB responsibilities but Jones proved he isn't the short term answer. May have to burn a redshirt or play a walk on.
Walton did get some snaps. I think that he made a tackle or two, but he was very limited. It makes me wonder if he's really a year away from making an impact after transitioning from safety. I know that when fletcher made the switch to LB he also redshirted the prior year, so he had plenty of time to get ready. It may take Walton the same amount of time to get comfortable unfortunately, so right now we may have to hope that Scales can just be superman and log the same amount of snaps as last year. Tom Bolstead is a walk on LB that I'd be interested in seeing too. He played in a couple of games (FIU and BSU) last year. Hard for a true freshman walk on LB to get snaps, but he did it last year before getting hurt, and he had a really solid spring game. He should be a guy to watch.

Walton did get some snaps. I think that he made a tackle or two, but he was very limited. It makes me wonder if he's really a year away from making an impact after transitioning from safety. I know that when fletcher made the switch to LB he also redshirted the prior year, so he had plenty of time to get ready. It may take Walton the same amount of time to get comfortable unfortunately, so right now we may have to hope that Scales can just be superman and log the same amount of snaps as last year. Tom Bolstead is a walk on LB that I'd be interested in seeing too. He played in a couple of games (FIU and BSU) last year. Hard for a true freshman walk on LB to get snaps, but he did it last year before getting hurt, and he had a really solid spring game. He should be a guy to watch.

I noticed Bolstead in the Spring Game. He was always around the ball. Showed a lot of hustle and made some nice tackles.

Against "the" O$U he must have been injured because he was on the sideline in running shorts and his number jersey along with 4-5 other guys. I'm guessing that's part of the game day injury protocol this year. [Which will save on a lot of "why didn't he play" questions.]

Hope to see him sometime this year. If he's able to play the way he did in the Spring Game we may have found a diamond in the rough...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT