ADVERTISEMENT

Line up

I really don’t understand the comments about our front court being thin, shallow, etc.

It’s taken Miller years to get the front court to where it is. It’s a veteran group with 2 players (Brunk and TJD ) in their final year, and another as a veteran junior (Race). The loss of smith hurts us from a depth perspective, and we will miss his defense, but opens up opportunities for others to get some valuable PT which will help next year.

I’m not in the Least bit concerned about our front court this season.

i am concerned about next year and beyond, as it seems that we don’t have a plan for our front court beyond this year, outside of Race as a Sr next year, Hunter, and some others that have never played college ball. Our front court is going to go from veteran to very young quickly.

Hmmm, we have 3 guys who are true frontcourt guys over 6'8" and you don't think that's thin? I hope Hunter can help out, but iI think it would be unwise and won't happen to start Brunk, TJD and Race. I would think more of a rotation with TJD/Brunk and Race/Hunter with 3 guards is what we'll end up with most often.

Victormyboy..
I've seen every D1recruit that play's in Southern Indiana ..
If IU fans think Lander is a 5☆ like Eric Gordon or Cody..
Then they're in for a big disappointment..
A bunch of that ...Is potential..Like as a sophomore...Maybe he gives me a good plate of crow.. This year
If so...I'll be on here to eat it. But a six point average won't make me ..Mutiple 20 + games would..

Victormyboy..
I've seen every D1recruit that play's in Southern Indiana ..
If IU fans think Lander is a 5☆ like Eric Gordon or Cody..
Then they're in for a big disappointment..
A bunch of that ...Is potential..Like as a sophomore...Maybe he gives me a good plate of crow.. This year
If so...I'll be on here to eat it. But a six point average won't make me ..Mutiple 20 + games would..
I’ve seen him. You really can’t compare him to Gordon at all. It would be unfair. His potential is pretty high. He’s a quiet scorer. He facilitates well.

Reactions: kkott and jimmygoiu
200.gif
KL was REALLY tough in the sectional. He was a 5 star in the final, exploding for 30 plus. Speed and his ballhandling will put him on the floor at IU game 1.

Last edited:
Race redshirted his Frosh year right? So can he not graduate and move on just like Smith did. I'd be concerned about that in today's landscape of grad xfers.

Hmmm, we have 3 guys who are true frontcourt guys over 6'8" and you don't think that's thin? I hope Hunter can help out, but iI think it would be unwise and won't happen to start Brunk, TJD and Race. I would think more of a rotation with TJD/Brunk and Race/Hunter with 3 guards is what we'll end up with most often.
Yup ... we need one more post for spot minutes, like DD was last year. Smith can be replaced with Hunter or Geronimo when we go small. We needed another big at least one on the bench to learn and develop so they would be ready to go next year.. Oh well play with the cards you're dealt.

Reactions: IULouie and kkott
Yup ... we need one more post for spot minutes, like DD was last year. Smith can be replaced with Hunter or Geronimo when we go small. We needed another big at least one on the bench to learn and develop so they would be ready to go next year.. Oh well play with the cards you're dealt.

Yeah, that's why I thought this year's class was a little strange, as we really to me needed at least 1 frontcourt guy. Maybe we just weren't close with anyone AM really liked but it seemed odd to me to take Leal and Galloway as our first 2 commits. Seemed to me it should have been 1 or the other and then a post, especially with Franklin from last year.

Reactions: IULouie
Yeah, that's why I thought this year's class was a little strange, as we really to me needed at least 1 frontcourt guy. Maybe we just weren't close with anyone AM really liked but it seemed odd to me to take Leal and Galloway as our first 2 commits. Seemed to me it should have been 1 or the other and then a post, especially with Franklin from last year.
They had Smith and Anderson, both could play spot minutes at the 4, but they transferred, so Hunter will have to do it. He can probably do it for 5 minutes a game without terrible problems.

They had Smith and Anderson, both could play spot minutes at the 4, but they transferred, so Hunter will have to do it. He can probably do it for 5 minutes a game without terrible problems.
Anderson's transfer was known before this years class was complete, and he was not a frontcourt player anyway. Never played at the 4.

Reactions: minneman
Anderson was a guard? Yikes.
Yeah, he looked about as miscast as a main D1 player as I've seen in a while. IMO, he and Priller could have arm wrestled for the 12-13th roster spots if they played together. Was he a guard? No. But he definitely wasn't a post.

Yeah, he looked about as miscast as a main D1 player as I've seen in a while. IMO, he and Priller could have arm wrestled for the 12-13th roster spots if they played together. Was he a guard? No. But he definitely wasn't a post.

Priller got a scholarship to IU for 4 years. Unreal.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
How many Big Ten teams had more than two true big men playing over 15 mpg? And by true big men I mean someone Jerome Hunter couldn't guard. The conference seems to have gone small all of a sudden so barring injury I think we have as much depth in the frontcourt as we need.

How many Big Ten teams had more than two true big men playing over 15 mpg? And by true big men I mean someone Jerome Hunter couldn't guard. The conference seems to have gone small all of a sudden so barring injury I think we have as much depth in the frontcourt as we need.

So, once again the bare minimum is OK? Need I remind you about foul trouble, injury, illness, grades, transfers? But none of those ever happen, right? Plus, non 5* bigs generally take time to develop, and we are probably losing both true bigs next year. Ideally we'd have at least 1 young big on the bench this year, for all these reasons.

So, once again the bare minimum is OK? Need I remind you about foul trouble, injury, illness, grades, transfers? But none of those ever happen, right? Plus, non 5* bigs generally take time to develop, and we are probably losing both true bigs next year. Ideally we'd have at least 1 young big on the bench this year, for all these reasons.

We have more than the bare minimum. Michigan State played just fine with only Tillman as their only big man, and he is the same height and only a few pounds heavier than Race. Relax, it'll be okay.

our front court was our strength last year, and we returned all three starters, until the smith transfer. With Smith we would have returned all three starters, 2 seniors and a final year veteran in TJD. Plus we’d have a veteran Race in the mix.

losing Smith hurts this year, but we still return two starters and have Race. That group is very solid, and veteran. Yes, absolutely it would be nice to have some depth 6-8 or bigger.

you are spot on about next year though. You are worried about depth this year?
The only good thing is that Smith being gone opens up minutes to help someone develop for next year.

our front court was our strength last year, and we returned all three starters, until the smith transfer. With Smith we would have returned all three starters, 2 seniors and a final year veteran in TJD. Plus we’d have a veteran Race in the mix.

losing Smith hurts this year, but we still return two starters and have Race. That group is very solid, and veteran. Yes, absolutely it would be nice to have some depth 6-8 or bigger.

you are spot on about next year though. You are worried about depth this year?
The only good thing is that Smith being gone opens up minutes to help someone develop for next year.

Yes, and wouldn't it be nice to have the opportunity to develop a post for next year when we have a pretty strong team and might be able to get them additional minutes, but sadly, they aren't on the roster!

Reactions: .Gerdis
We have more than the bare minimum. Michigan State played just fine with only Tillman as their only big man, and he is the same height and only a few pounds heavier than Race. Relax, it'll be okay.
They also had Bingham and Kithier ... played 11 and 13. So that's 24 min or 30% of minutes available at those positions from their reserve bigs and totally negates your claim of Tillman being the only one.

fwiw - I think we'll be fine too. It doesn't matter what you have, it matters more what you do with it. Our smaller lineup can be a advantage against teams bigger and slower, as it was many times last year, or maybe not.

Last edited:
Yes, and wouldn't it be nice to have the opportunity to develop a post for next year when we have a pretty strong team and might be able to get them additional minutes, but sadly, they aren't on the roster!
That probably hurts us more than being one short this year. Duncomb will be thrown to the wolves early.

That probably hurts us more than being one short this year. Duncomb will be thrown to the wolves early.

Yes, but I thought with likely losing TJD we'd probably be better this year than next, so I was looking at it as an all-in on this year. More concerned about being shorthanded come tourney time (yes, daydreaming) if say TJD or Brunk got in foul trouble or an injury or illness. In such a situation a player like a Duncomb might prove very valuable, especially if he could grab some spare minutes throughout the year.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
The most likely lineup will include Lander and Rob. We will see a 3 guard lineup if Hunter isn't ready to play a bigger role. Al isn't a lock to secure a spot in a possible 3 guard lineup. That 5th player will be the best defender and scorer available. Franklin has a chance to play that position, but experience matters.

I don't rule out Race shooting more 3's and being a tough player to match up with.

The most likely lineup will include Lander and Rob. We will see a 3 guard lineup if Hunter isn't ready to play a bigger role. Al isn't a lock to secure a spot in a possible 3 guard lineup. That 5th player will be the best defender and scorer available. Franklin has a chance to play that position, but experience matters. I don't rule out Race shooting more 3's and being a tough player to match up with.

Whenever the Season starts, Captain Aljami will as well. Perhaps Rob to partner...

Leal and Galloway will both be a lot better than you think. I am really happy with getting both. First, because they are IN guys and know a lot of other recruits. Second, they both have that intangible of BB IQ. Finally, they will be here for 4 years and be really good players for us. We still have 2 spots open so if we found a post player we could still get them. We don’t have to have one or the other but both Leal and TG. Love those 2 and so will everyone else when they see how they play.

Remember that we will still have the same commish. NCAA has little to do with making the decisions (to play or not)of the power 5. Football is by far the better paying butter. I hope your optimism rings true but I’m starting to doubt we have a season.

I doubt we will either. Things are already blowing up virus wise and even in a perfect world IU is shutting things down in person at Thanksgiving. I just don't see it, it's getting worse, not better already and that's without exposure to the entire student population on campus. It could happen if IU weren't so damn greedy about in person fees and parking fees and doing things in person. It's an experiment, and to be honest I think they'd have a better shot at the athletic money and be able to do that if they just went all remote.

Their plan is really dumb, kids are not accepting it or abiding by it. They want to be there so they can do what they want, and they're doing it. What would you expect, the idea that a bunch of 18-19 yr olds are going to turn 35 as soon as they move in. The whole idea is just bad, if on-line only is good enough for Harvard, its good enough for IU, and there would be a better possibility of sports seasons and that revenue if IU would just say, "Hey, there's no parties here, tough, go online or go home".

I feel this is a money grab of fees and shit that no one supports and it will just end bad. There's already 20% of fraternities under quarantine after less than a week. Yeah, recipe for success, and the dumbasses are going to spend twice as much on testing and refunds after they've shut it down in a couple weeks than if they'd never stupidly started it.

Well, TJD is a soph and Hunter and Race are basically walking injuries that have not even seen halfway potential. Maybe that's all they are, but we don't know. To expect them both to take a giant leap vs. another set back or concussion is optimistic. I hope it happens, but based on history it seems pie in the sky, and that's assuming there is a season.

Yes, but I thought with likely losing TJD we'd probably be better this year than next, so I was looking at it as an all-in on this year. More concerned about being shorthanded come tourney time (yes, daydreaming) if say TJD or Brunk got in foul trouble or an injury or illness. In such a situation a player like a Duncomb might prove very valuable, especially if he could grab some spare minutes throughout the year.

Nobody said Archie's contract needs to be renewed, and if there is a season and we are daydreaming about playing in the NCAA, it should not be renewed

Nobody said Archie's contract needs to be renewed, and if there is a season and we are daydreaming about playing in the NCAA, it should not be renewed
Agreed. TJD is far from a pro prospect at this point though, especially under circumstances. Fortunately, I think he will be a 4 yr player and a good one. Rob and Hunter too, if they can stay healthy. There is promise for the future. I work there though, and what I hear is not optimistic on a season, too many are basically claiming what they agreed not to do upfront, to be on campus. You can say shitheads, but what really did the university expect from freshmen that want to party and they didn't reduce tuition, in fact, raised it stupidly!

What did you expect them to do, they're paying for it (or their parents), but really, it's a real money grab on part of the university. It will fail, watch in three weeks what damage those hundreds of people parties have done not only to IU, but the community. It will be shut down, and nobody will be better off for the stupid idea in the first place.

Agreed. TJD is far from a pro prospect at this point though, especially under circumstances. Fortunately, I think he will be a 4 yr player and a good one. Rob and Hunter too, if they can stay healthy. There is promise for the future. I work there though, and what I hear is not optimistic on a season, too many are basically claiming what they agreed not to do upfront, to be on campus. You can say shitheads, but what really did the university expect from freshmen that want to party and they didn't reduce tuition, in fact, raised it stupidly!

What did you expect them to do, they're paying for it (or their parents), but really, it's a real money grab on part of the university. It will fail, watch in three weeks what damage those hundreds of people parties have done not only to IU, but the community. It will be shut down, and nobody will be better off for the stupid idea in the first place.
TJD will not be a 4 year player.

I’ve seen him several times this summer. He is a strong kid and is a beast on the boards
He’s thin and not likely to ready for Big Ten Post play in a year. Most freshmen aren’t, so it’s not a knock on him.

ADVERTISEMENT