ADVERTISEMENT

Line up

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Is TJD better at 4 or 5?
Is Race big enough to guard a 5?
We seem shallow at the 4 and 5 spots. Just three- TJD, Race, and Brunk?
Likely a lot of three guard line ups?
Sorry, with no FB I am focusing on BB and I see so many articles that seem to say opposite things.

Is TJD better at 4 or 5?
Is Race big enough to guard a 5?
We seem shallow at the 4 and 5 spots. Just three- TJD, Race, and Brunk?
Likely a lot of three guard line ups?
Sorry, with no FB I am focusing on BB and I see so many articles that seem to say opposite things.
You will see Hunter playing the 3 and 4. There aren’t many true centers anymore. Trayce will have to play the 5 and be great at it.

IU is desperately small, yes. And if there is a season it will be a problem.

Teams will get TJD in foul trouble and IU will have few options to guard in the paint. Hunter is not strong enough to guard real 4s.

Reactions: baileyiu

Teams will get TJD in foul trouble and IU will have few options to guard in the paint. Hunter is not strong enough to guard real 4s.[/QUOTE
Both of those points are my concern as well. Shallow at 4 and 5 and our 3s cant guard 4s.

Hate to negative but I doubt you see TJD, Brunk or Al in an IU jersey again.

Next year after Al graduates. Rob slides to 2 and lander starts at 1.
Don’t kid yourself. We aren’t good enough to not immediately start 5-stars with the array of skills Lander has. He’ll be starting with Al and Rob. He’ll really help Rob be effective as an off the ball scorer. Lander will also help make TJD more effective in the pick and roll. He’ll also help Trace on run outs for easy scores. Archie has said he wants to run. He now has the personnel to do so.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I got Rob all day ..Everyday ..Including every practice over Lander....
Only way he starts ..Is injures..Which happen every year..So he'll be on the floor at some point..jmo.

Only way he starts ..Is injures..Which happen every year..So he'll be on the floor at some point..jmo.
Has anyone actually seen lander play? From what I’ve seen(I have seen him) he is athletic, pretty good shooter. Great passer and scorer. He’s very thin. He’s not going to drive down the lane and survive. If we start both point guards it’s going to be an experiment.

Rob or Al is coming off the bench. Our best line up will be hunter lander (rob or al) tjd race.

brunk is a good dude to have. He has 5 fouls every game. And he can go 20+mins if tjd or race get hurt or in foul trouble. He is a big big boy, and if we need one good to have.

We have a great squad and we will play this year. Ncaa knows where their bread is buttered. We will get a tourney, and IU will make it.

People are sleeping on IU. TJD should be a top 5 player in America.

Rob or Al is coming off the bench. Our best line up will be hunter lander (rob or al) tjd race.

brunk is a good dude to have. He has 5 fouls every game. And he can go 20+mins if tjd or race get hurt or in foul trouble. He is a big big boy, and if we need one good to have.

We have a great squad and we will play this year. Ncaa knows where their bread is buttered. We will get a tourney, and IU will make it.

Love your optimism.

From what I've heard, Armaan and Lander have both impressed in workouts. Wouldn't surprise me if we see both in the starting lineup.

Something like this....

Rob
Lander
Armaan
Race
TJD

Remember that we will still have the same commish. NCAA has little to do with making the decisions (to play or not)of the power 5. Football is by far the better paying butter. I hope your optimism rings true but I’m starting to doubt we have a season.

Teams will get TJD in foul trouble and IU will have few options to guard in the paint. Hunter is not strong enough to guard real 4s.

1. No, IU is not desperately small. 6'11 255, 6'9 245., 6'8 235, 6'7 220 .. that's not small, just needs one more guy for depth.
2. Well, Race and Brunk are both options. Which is two more than you claim.
3. Maybe it depends on the match up and who the other team has at four. If you haven't paid attention that position on many teams has someone his size or sometimes even smaller. Plus teams also have a small ball lineup. Iowa had a 6'6 guard at 4 last year. Baylor had a 6'5 guy. Michigan will most likely use a 6'7 four this year. Maryland went small - 6'5 - at that spot and probably will again. Rutgers went small at that position also. Too many teams to list where using Hunter at four is a viable option. Way too many, so, I call bullsh*t on that claim.

Last edited:
1. No, IU is not desperately small. 6'11 255, 6'9 245., 6'8 235, 6'7 220 .. that's not small, just needs one more guy for depth.
2. Well, Race and Brunk are both options. Which is two more than you claim.
3. Maybe it depends on the match up and who the other team has at four. If you haven't paid attention that position on many teams has someone his size or sometimes even smaller. Plus teams also have a small ball lineup. Iowa had a 6'6 guard at 4 last year. Baylor had a 6'5 guy. Michigan will most likely use a 6'7 four this year. Maryland went small - 6'5 - at that spot and probably will again. Rutgers went small at that position also. Too many teams to list where using Hunter at four is a viable option. Way too many, so, I call bullsh*t on that claim.

You have to remember, way to many people on this board are stuck in the 80s, so they still think we need a traditional four and five out there. When we did the thread about where you were from and when you graduated, the majority of posters are of the older generation here.

The game has evolved.

TR, I respectfully disagree. Hunter is strong enough to guard 4's. He just needs the want to do it. And timely support from teammates within their defensive schemes.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
You have to remember, way to many people on this board are stuck in the 80s, so they still think we need a traditional four and five out there. When we did the thread about where you were from and when you graduated, the majority of posters are of the older generation here.

The game has evolved.
Yup double point guards is becoming more common. Lot of teams running four guard/wings and a post. Using smaller more skilled players at four instead of traditional bigs has been more common in the last decade and a half. Plus there's small ball lineups where we may use even use Geronimo - 6'6 190+ - at the four.

Not every team is like Kansas and UNC.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yup double point guards is becoming more common. Lot of teams running four guard/wings and a post. Using smaller more skilled players at four instead of traditional bigs has been more common in the last decade and a half. Plus there's small ball lineups where we may use even use Geronimo - 6'6 190+ - at the four.

Interesting. I do still think of the old 1 -5 positions.
If we go “small” or perhaps “evolved” is better, we need a year to year jump from a guard and a forward. Or a surprising frost year from someone.

Gonzaga too. Illinois has a traditional lineup. Im from the thought that hunter is going to play the 4 a lot. We will play 2 point guards too. People forget Crean was at times a 2 point guard guy. He loved scoring point guards and it works.

Gonzaga too. Illinois has a traditional lineup. Im from the thought that hunter is going to play the 4 a lot. We will play 2 point guards too. People forget Crean was at times a 2 point guard guy. He loved scoring point guards and it works.
Wisconsin this year will probably go double post. Hard to keep Potter on the bench and Reuvers can play 4. Lot of teams look to be going slightly smaller. OSU, PSU, Pur, Maryland just off the top of my head may have to play smaller.

Crean tried every fad or technique under the sun hoping he would find his +5 magic wand to cover for his lack of inherent talent. .. My favorite was the switching defenses that confused our team more than the opponent.. that was cool. lol .. Now he's listed every player on his team as a "B" for "basketball player" and is trying to sell the positionless thing. *sigh* ... it's more enjoyable when he's doing his thing with someone else.

Illinois is an odd team. Lot of hype, Lots of high level talent with Ayo, Curbelo, Miller and Kofi. , all of which are projected NBA players (eventually), combined with 9 mostly underwhelming players that would have problems playing in the A10.

The problem is three of them are combo guards and they have additional combo guards in Williams and Frazier. . basically 5 lead ball-handlers but none true point guards that can make others better.

Expect to see a lot of actual 3 guard (all combo guard) lineups, which will cause a lot of teams problems but that may also cost them some defense. With the lack of quality beyond the top 4 and how young most of their talent is and where that talent is positioned, I just don't buy the hype.

The game has evolved.
You think Knight played a “traditional four and five” in the 80’s? Did you watch any of those teams?

You think Knight played a “traditional four and five” in the 80’s? Did you watch any of those teams?

Where did i say anything specific about Indiana basketball in my post? I didn't.

I was talking about basketball in general.

I think they'll spend a lot of time on the floor together. We'll play a lot of 3 guard lineup, because we are a bit thin up front. Lander, Rob, Al, Hunter and TJD, would be my guess. I think Race might start some too depending on the other squad, in place of Al probably.

Where did i say anything specific about Indiana basketball in my post? I didn't.

I was talking about basketball in general.
No worries. You posed the question to IU fans about IUs team, so it stood to reason you were talking about IU in the 80’s. How close did you follow college basketball then?

Don’t kid yourself. We aren’t good enough to not immediately start 5-stars with the array of skills Lander has. He’ll be starting with Al and Rob. He’ll really help Rob be effective as an off the ball scorer. Lander will also help make TJD more effective in the pick and roll. He’ll also help Trace on run outs for easy scores. Archie has said he wants to run. He now has the personnel to do so.

Typically I wholeheartedly agree. However he is a year younger than most 5 stars and hasn't had a normal off season to work with older guys.

Race/Brunk
TJD
Hunter
Phinisee
Lander

With the shallow frontcourt rotation, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see 3 of our 4 possible rotation players playing together regularly. Much more likely to see those 4 rotating through 2 front court spots and then playing a 3rd guard or wing with them, where we do have some depth. Durham, Franklin or one of the freshman even like Geronimo or Leal/Galloway if one of them emerges as a solid shooter.

I really don’t understand the comments about our front court being thin, shallow, etc.

It’s taken Miller years to get the front court to where it is. It’s a veteran group with 2 players (Brunk and TJD ) in their final year, and another as a veteran junior (Race). The loss of smith hurts us from a depth perspective, and we will miss his defense, but opens up opportunities for others to get some valuable PT which will help next year.

I’m not in the Least bit concerned about our front court this season.

i am concerned about next year and beyond, as it seems that we don’t have a plan for our front court beyond this year, outside of Race as a Sr next year, Hunter, and some others that have never played college ball. Our front court is going to go from veteran to very young quickly.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I think the Freshmen will play quite a bit.
Geronimo as a 3.
Leal as a 2.
And Galloway as a 2 or 3.
All 3 bring shooting when healthy.
Geronimo brings athleticism to rebound.
Galloway brings defense and playmaking ability on offense.

FTR, without fans in the stands, football wouldn't be anywhere near as profitable as it is. OSU's stadium holds ~105,000 for good reason. As IU showed last year, bowl games aren't very profitable outside of the playoffs. TV money plays a larger role (percentage wise) in basketball (just look at capacity and ticket prices) than in football. All that said, the complications of this disease are serious. Unless we have a vaccine sooner than we think possible, the ONLY way this season happens is in a bubble. Now, let's think about the issues of playing football in a bubble. A basketball team typically has~20 players and coaches. A football team has closer to 100. With 14 B10 teams, that means ~280 people in a B10 basketball bubble. That means ~1400 for a B10 football bubble. People who are larger (both taller and wider) have had worse complications from Covid. On a football field, how do the biggest people typically line up? Do you see what I'm getting at? As the NBA has shown, basketball in possible in a "bubble". The MLB didn't attempt a bubble because the logistics for teams that large didn't make sense (and nowhere would want to host that many players). Does that help you understand some of the differences?

Remember that we will still have the same commish. NCAA has little to do with making the decisions (to play or not)of the power 5. Football is by far the better paying butter. I hope your optimism rings true but I’m starting to doubt we have a season.

Typically I wholeheartedly agree. However he is a year younger than most 5 stars and hasn't had a normal off season to work with older guys.

no he isn’t. OG was younger TB and Noah both were within a month of him. He was super young was a myth. Young for his grade, but he already is 18. Prob be here one year if we do well.

I really don’t understand the comments about our front court being thin, shallow, etc.

It’s taken Miller years to get the front court to where it is. It’s a veteran group with 2 players (Brunk and TJD ) in their final year, and another as a veteran junior (Race). The loss of smith hurts us from a depth perspective, and we will miss his defense, but opens up opportunities for others to get some valuable PT which will help next year.

I’m not in the Least bit concerned about our front court this season.

i am concerned about next year and beyond, as it seems that we don’t have a plan for our front court beyond this year, outside of Race as a Sr next year, Hunter, and some others that have never played college ball. Our front court is going to go from veteran to very young quickly.
I think the ‘plan’ is Race, Duncomb, Kaufman and Miller.

Reactions: ufo33 and .Gerdis
Hopefully the line-up will change depending on who we're playing. Brunk will play against teams like Illinois who have old-school big men who Race is not big enough to guard; Race will play against most other teams who don't have 7'1" 290 centers; and TJD will play center against teams like Iowa who have big centers who can also stretch the floor.

I think the Freshmen will play quite a bit.
Geronimo as a 3.
Leal as a 2.
And Galloway as a 2 or 3.
All 3 bring shooting when healthy.
Geronimo brings athleticism to rebound.
Galloway brings defense and playmaking ability on offense.

Geronimo is more of a slasher than a shooter.

He shot something like 30% from 3 last year, although he did have the college line at his high school to shoot from.

The nice thing is though none will have to be counted on to play heavy minutes because we're deep at their respected positions.

ADVERTISEMENT