ADVERTISEMENT

Line out of Vegas is +20.5 for the Buckeyes

You're likely right - and Meyer is run-first with tOSU since he came to the conference, so I'd be surprised to see otherwise. I'll just be interested to see if Barrett can break out of his shell of depending on his legs and the misdirection rather than being patient, going through the progression and selecting the best possible outcome. IU has played tOSU tough for many years, and I'm not one to prognosticate on the scores. I do think that tOSU will win, but I have a hard time coming to a conclusion as to how this one comes together.

Let me help you come to the conclusion:

Indiana 24
OSU 17

I think the jury is still out on what type of Barrett we are going to see this year. All of the messaging out of tOSU right now is that the mentality is being changed from "don't turn the ball over on a pass" to "give your receivers a chance to make the play." At least that's what's coming out of camp. For the sake of tOSU, I hope he can execute on it. Otherwise, I think the combination of the increase in the number of plays that KW wants to see at tOSU and Barrett running too often is going to result in an injury at some point. If that happens, it might be scary for the Buckeyes, seeing as their backup QB just broke his hand and will be out for weeks after his surgery.

I am happy to hear this about messaging.... I said several months ago that how Wilson comes out being the first game of the season would be interesting. At IU, the first few games the entire playbook was not utilized waiting for the B10 season to start. Since the first game is B10 I'm guessing he will be pushing Barrett to run the playbook.

Second, CKW's offense is not something a QB can just pick up and run. Giving the "questionable" football IQ of Barrett it will be interesting to see how well he performs. I think his legs will be the biggest threat to IU. For the first time in I don't know when, I actually like our defensive matchup with him running....

Hoosier Nation is hungry for this game. It is viewed as a measuring stick. Being close doesn't cut it anymore at IU. It's time to make the move....

you guys better be ready to play Thursday night. I'm just saying.

You're likely right - and Meyer is run-first with tOSU since he came to the conference, so I'd be surprised to see otherwise. I'll just be interested to see if Barrett can break out of his shell of depending on his legs and the misdirection rather than being patient, going through the progression and selecting the best possible outcome. IU has played tOSU tough for many years, and I'm not one to prognosticate on the scores. I do think that tOSU will win, but I have a hard time coming to a conclusion as to how this one comes together.

One of the major components of Wilson's offense at IU was tempo, and if that's also his plan for OSU, one thing I'll be looking for, especially in game 1, is will OSU be able to avoid false start penalties? That's something that periodically was a problem for IU under Wilson.

Reactions: RBB89
It's game one and without data for this season it's tough to determine whether a spread is valid or not. If there is a glaring Buckeye weakness I hope that IU can expose it. Not enough to win, but enough for the coaches to work on it for the next 9 days until Oklahoma. That being the case, or IU just being a good team that forces the Buckeyes to up the game, means I'd be ok with not beating the spread as long as they win. Of course, if it turns out this edition of Buckeyes is the greatest in the history of man, I'll also take a 70 point win- just not counting on it.

I am happy to hear this about messaging.... I said several months ago that how Wilson comes out being the first game of the season would be interesting. At IU, the first few games the entire playbook was not utilized waiting for the B10 season to start. Since the first game is B10 I'm guessing he will be pushing Barrett to run the playbook.

Second, CKW's offense is not something a QB can just pick up and run. Giving the "questionable" football IQ of Barrett it will be interesting to see how well he performs. I think his legs will be the biggest threat to IU. For the first time in I don't know when, I actually like our defensive matchup with him running....

Hoosier Nation is hungry for this game. It is viewed as a measuring stick. Being close doesn't cut it anymore at IU. It's time to make the move....

Why would you say that Barrett has a questionable football IQ? What evidence is there of that?

Typical OSU fan. You have no intellectual argument to support why you got smashed 31-0 so you're left with essentially name calling. It's almost like you were bred in Kentucky and moved to Ohio.

LOL you're so tired of us "leeching" yet you are spending time over here trying to gain knowledge from us about football. Go figure...

LOL. I point out a logical fallacy you make, and you deem that "name calling."

Sorry to hurt your delicate sensibilities, but you said something fallacious and I corrected you on it. If that makes you feel stupid, well, that's your own guilt to carry ...

I think that's a pretty sound analysis, but I don't think that Barrett's football IQ is questionable. I think he's a literal follower of what he's told by his coaches and I think that's why we've seen different Barrett versions. I'm just interested to see who he has to throw to. The biggest question mark, I think, for tOSU is our receiving corps.

Why would you say that Barrett has a questionable football IQ? What evidence is there of that?

That was a question last year as to why OSU wasn't passing more.... my buddy is an OSU fan and I take him each year (except this year) to the IU home games.... it is a known quantity among OSU fans questioning his football IQ.... maybe some of them can speak to it....

He didn't exactly lite it up last year. Word is he has a hard time with the playbook which will only be compounded with CKW's playbook.

I think that's a pretty sound analysis, but I don't think that Barrett's football IQ is questionable. I think he's a literal follower of what he's told by his coaches and I think that's why we've seen different Barrett versions. I'm just interested to see who he has to throw to. The biggest question mark, I think, for tOSU is our receiving corps.

He is certainly a top QB.... but OSU was not exactly willing to put the ball in the air last year....maybe it was the WR... not sure but I heard it from more than one fan that they questioned his ability to move the ball in the air. If I'm not mostaken, considering OSU's talent, it makes you wonder why the passing O wasn't as prominent...

Reactions: tOSU_fan

By the way thanks for coming on here and talking Game day.... I respect the hell out of Ohio State football.... I don't like the visitors very often but you gotta respect what Meyer is doing with the program. You are gonna like CKW.... he will make you guys better

By the way thanks for coming on here and talking Game day.... I respect the hell out of Ohio State football.... I don't like the visitors very often but you gotta respect what Meyer is doing with the program. You are gonna like CKW.... he will make you guys better
Thank you for accommodating me: After all - it's your board. I always enjoy talking with the upcoming team in the schedule prior to the game. It's interesting to see the different perspectives and it helps to keep my perspective a little more honest.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I haven't heard that Barrett can't grasp the playbook. Curious to beyond "I know someone who knows someone..." where that come from. He has long been known publicly as a student of the game who spends a lot of time watching film. From my observation for what it's worth, I think Barrett is at his best playing instinctively, passing or runnning as he did in 2014. That year he seemed to excel at making the right decision. What he has struggled with in an attempt to be a a student of the game or coach on the field, is analysis paralysis. Leading to indecisiveness and waiting to long to commit to a throw or run. If Wilson can get him to utilize his knowledge and experience, but still play instinctively, Barrett should have his best year yet. The uptempo should help in that regard.

I haven't heard that Barrett can't grasp the playbook. Curious to beyond "I know someone who knows someone..." where that come from. He has long been known publicly as a student of the game who spends a lot of time watching film. From my observation for what it's worth, I think Barrett is at his best playing instinctively, passing or runnning as he did in 2014. That year he seemed to excel at making the right decision. What he has struggled with in an attempt to be a a student of the game or coach on the field, is analysis paralysis. Leading to indecisiveness and waiting to long to commit to a throw or run. If Wilson can get him to utilize his knowledge and experience, but still play instinctively, Barrett should have his best year yet. The uptempo should help in that regard.
Generally I think you're spot on. I just happen to think that JT latches onto the mantra being emphasized by the coaching staff, which lately has been (paraphrasing) don't turn the ball over and trust the defense. But that hasn't worked out well. Hooker, alone, had 7 interceptions last season. If he didn't return it for a TD the O didn't convert it into one (if I remember correctly).

I think OSU is going to shoot themselves in the foot, several times in this game. And they have a talented defense but Schiano isn't really the guy to coach it.

IU can win this game. Mark my words.

Thank you for accommodating me: After all - it's your board. I always enjoy talking with the upcoming team in the schedule prior to the game. It's interesting to see the different perspectives and it helps to keep my perspective a little more honest.

Wilson will also increase their penalties and turnovers. Great offensive mind but undisciplined offenses.

Reactions: Fro
LOL. I point out a logical fallacy you make, and you deem that "name calling."

Sorry to hurt your delicate sensibilities, but you said something fallacious and I corrected you on it. If that makes you feel stupid, well, that's your own guilt to carry ...

More of the same nonsense and name calling. Typical Buckeye fan...

At this point in time, IU certainly has a shot to win. It wouldn't surprise me if OSU shot themselves in the foot a few times as it's the first game, and there is certainly more pressure for OSU to look good. Fkfootball, you seem to be indicating that Wilson and Schiano will be detrimental to the Buckeyes as coaches.

Iu will be in the game late. And could win it. Will the zebras and the Big Ten allow it. Seems there is always a phantom hold or penalty that happens. Usually against. Hope this doesn't decide it.

Reactions: codylance
Iu will be in the game late. And could win it. Will the zebras and the Big Ten allow it. Seems there is always a phantom hold or penalty that happens. Usually against. Hope this doesn't decide it.

So you're taking one out of the Penn State fan playbook- "The refs and League won't let us win!" argument. If IU plays well enough to win and OSU doesn't, the Hoosiers will win. If not, OSU will win. That's not to say a referee can't or won't make a mistake, but there is no conspiracy.

Reactions: fpeaugh
So you're taking one out of the Penn State fan playbook- "The refs and League won't let us win!" argument. If IU plays well enough to win and OSU doesn't, the Hoosiers will win. If not, OSU will win. That's not to say a referee can't or won't make a mistake, but there is no conspiracy.

Not a conspiracy per say but they did a study a year or two back that showed that refs tend to favor the higher ranked team when it comes to bang bang plays. If your call could cost someone a chance at a NC or a chance to go to a low tier bowl which way do you go?

The refs and the conference won't let IU win has always been a tired and ridiculous excuse. No one takes it seriously.

Refs make mistakes and it is possible that when there is doubt to who gets the favorable call human nature tends to look at it as the so called better athlete or player, should be able to make the play; and if it is a 50/50 call, it's probably because the lesser player had to cheat a bit. Not saying that's right but it happens in all sports and probably goes Indiana's way more often in basketball than football.

But it's not the referees or the League trying to get the team with a better chance of a Championship continue in contention.

Refs make mistakes and it is possible that when there is doubt to who gets the favorable call human nature tends to look at it as the so called better athlete or player, should be able to make the play; and if it is a 50/50 call, it's probably because the lesser player had to cheat a bit. Not saying that's right but it happens in all sports and probably goes Indiana's way more often in basketball than football.

But it's not the referees or the League trying to get the team with a better chance of a Championship continue in contention.

I was talking subconsciously. Anyway I'll make a deal with you. We won't bitch about calls and you guys don't come on here saying you had a bad game after we win.

I was talking subconsciously. Anyway I'll make a deal with you. We won't bitch about calls and you guys don't come on here saying you had a bad game after we win.

My post was a little in reference to yours, it more in regards to the one by fieldjock. I agreed that it is possible to get a favorable call as per your post due to an official thinking one player is better than the opposing one.

Fieldjock's post:
"Iu will be in the game late. And could win it. Will the zebras and the Big Ten allow it. Seems there is always a phantom hold or penalty that happens. Usually against. Hope this doesn't decide it."

And regarding the deal you ask for, if IU wins than OSU DID have a bad day. Not necessarily an excuse because IU may have forced bad play or at least taken advantage of it, but a bad day because of the result.

I forgot to add that if the Hooiers did win I'll come back and offer congratulations for a job well done. If OSU wins and Indiana played well I'll do the same.

Not a conspiracy per say but they did a study a year or two back that showed that refs tend to favor the higher ranked team when it comes to bang bang plays. If your call could cost someone a chance at a NC or a chance to go to a low tier bowl which way do you go?
Case in point, speaking of IU-tOSU: Lagow's incomplete pass ruled fumble inside IU's own 10 last year. In a vacuum, I think that call goes the way the television crew called it--and continued to call it after viewing all the replays: incomplete pass. But because it involved tOSU and was at tOSU, the zebras rule it a fumble and decide there's not conclusive evidence to reverse that error. It's another in the long list of calls that didn't go our way.
Reverse the roles this year, I highly doubt we get either of those decisions.

Edit: Oops, "not conclusive evidence." Not "not inconclusive evidence."

Last edited:
So,Tokyo,Steve, I suppose I can mark you down as in the "Conspiracy Theory" contingent? Bad calls happen in every game, but as fans we tend to remember the ones that go against us.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Case in point, speaking of IU-tOSU: Lagow's incomplete pass ruled fumble inside IU's own 10 last year. In a vacuum, I think that call goes the way the television crew called it--and continued to call it after viewing all the replays: incomplete pass. But because it involved tOSU and was at tOSU, the zebras rule it a fumble and decide there's not conclusive evidence to reverse that error. It's another in the long list of calls that didn't go our way.
Reverse the roles this year, I highly doubt we get either of those decisions.

Edit: Oops, "not conclusive evidence." Not "not inconclusive evidence."

While I do not support a conspiracy against IU and other lesser programs vs the UMs and O$us of the world it is astonishing the number of calls that have gone against IU over the past few seasons. Look back the Iowa, UM, OSU, and just last year the crucial fumble call vs Neb at home. IU is due to get some of these calls.

So,Tokyo,Steve, I suppose I can mark you down as in the "Conspiracy Theory" contingent? Bad calls happen in every game, but as fans we tend to remember the ones that go against us.
I don't ascribe to any conspiracy theory and don't think the calls are made with any malice. I think it's more impulsive. And some of us have a lot more "to remember."

Reactions: iueyedoc99

Well, if that is in fact the case, then my advice regarding to any team would be "be higher ranked."

Michael Jordan got away with traveling all the time. The better you are, generally the more benefit of a doubt you will get. Just human nature.

Well, if that is in fact the case, then my advice regarding to any team would be "be higher ranked."

Michael Jordan got away with traveling all the time. The better you are, generally the more benefit of a doubt you will get. Just human nature.
My nomination for Arrogant Post of the Year.

My nomination for Arrogant Post of the Year.

Yet Hoosiers Rising posts this just a scant few above mine and you are completely fine with it:

The bigger the dog you are in a game the less likely close calls are going to go your way. That's just the way it is. Knocking on the door ain't going to get it, you got to kick it in.

Quite interesting how illogical and irrational some people can be when their emotions are involved in it ...

You're betting on the spread. I'd be more impressed if you were betting on an outright win. If OSU wins by 20, I'll be ok with that and happy for you.

Of course I'm taking the points. I'd be more impressed if you understood how gambling worked. If you would have read the entire thread, you'd realize that my reason for starting this thread was due to the spread. The picture was proof that I made the bet. Go Hoosiers!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT