ADVERTISEMENT

Line out of Vegas is +20.5 for the Buckeyes

31........to nothing. Pretty sure if Clemson was Bill Gates, that wouldn't equate to OSU being Warren Buffet. I'm certain that would be comparing someone on welfare to Warren Buffet. Just sayin....

Well, he did compare 3 things (guy on welfare, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates) to 2 things (IU fan, OSU)....which is not even an analogy, it's just moronic. I wrote him off on that alone....

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
This place must be the epicenter of logical fallacies on the net.

No, in the scenario you describe you would be comparing how much they made on any given single cherry-picked day. Kinda exactly the same problem IUH was having above looking at a single factoid in a vacuum. The scenario I describe is comparing their complete body of work.

Id better get back to speaking in strictly football terms since some of you are having such extreme problems with simple analogy.

Put more bluntly, shouldn't you have at least a winning record and the ability to beat such powerhouses as Wake Forest before you start criticizing one of the two or three top teams in CF? Seriously, OSU is getting tired of leech schools with losing records taking from the B1G pot that OSU so generously fills.

Typical OSU fan. You have no intellectual argument to support why you got smashed 31-0 so you're left with essentially name calling. It's almost like you were bred in Kentucky and moved to Ohio.

LOL you're so tired of us "leeching" yet you are spending time over here trying to gain knowledge from us about football. Go figure...

That blowout didn't embarass the rest of the BIG as we were all cheering for Clemson. OHio fans have destroyed any support they might have from the rest of the BIG. Worst fans in collegiate athletics.

I understand the dislike of Ohio St because of the conduct of the fan base.... However, I for one always hope the Big wins their Bowl Games (well maybe not Purdue).... I think the top tier Big teams make everyone better and their success benefits our program....I want them to lose to no one but us. That way our SOS will be as high as possible.

They give us something to reach for.... don't get upset because they put on display for 3 hrs on Saturday just how far we have left to go. We are very very very close to really shocking them on a game day. I look forward to when we do on a regular basis. But like most teams that will compete with them, scoring is a must. I don't like the odds of winning the 10-7 games against them. I'm hoping our offense comes out and is productive.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
I understand the dislike of Ohio St because of the conduct of the fan base.... However, I for one always hope the Big wins their Bowl Games (well maybe not Purdue).... I think the top tier Big teams make everyone better and their success benefits our program....I want them to lose to no one but us. That way our SOS will be as high as possible.

They give us something to reach for.... don't get upset because they put on display for 3 hrs on Saturday just how far we have left to go. We are very very very close to really shocking them on a game day. I look forward to when we do on a regular basis. But like most teams that will compete with them, scoring is a must. I don't like the odds of winning the 10-7 games against them. I'm hoping our offense comes out and is productive.

I root for all BIG programs other than Ohio and Penn State.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
But like most teams that will compete with them, scoring is a must. I don't like the odds of winning the 10-7 games against them. I'm hoping our offense comes out and is productive.
Ohio State has one of the best DLs in the country. Without question, how our OL responds to this challenge will be the key to the game. This won't be a 52-49 game, but it won't be 10-7 either. I'm thinking a total of about 45 points.

Ohio State has one of the best DLs in the country. Without question, how our OL responds to this challenge will be the key to the game. This won't be a 52-49 game, but it won't be 10-7 either. I'm thinking a total of about 45 points.

I can't argue with that...45-50 points sounds about right. The recruiting classes they are pulling are unbelievable... if we could land a quarter of their four stars it would change the program in a hurry. It's impressive.... but a bucknut is still a worthless nut (TIC)

If it's a total of 45 points you're looking at about 38-7. No way we hold OSU's offense in the 20s. Absolutely no way.

Reactions: Ewezrfan1
If it's a total of 45 points you're looking at about 38-7. No way we hold OSU's offense in the 20s. Absolutely no way.

Clemson found a way. :/ As did Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Michigan in regulation. So as much as you want to say no way......history begs to differ.

Clemson found a way. :/ As did Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Michigan in regulation. So as much as you want to say no way......history begs to differ.

I would expect a fair number of penalties and mistakes from OSU's offense given Kevin Wilson's history.

I would expect a fair number of penalties and mistakes from OSU's offense given Kevin Wilson's history.
Entirely new coaching staff and offense for IU, along with O line and RB deficiencies, will make for a rough day for the Hoosier offense, especially against the OSU D line, which will dominate.

This game could be a slugfest where both defenses play very well. If IU can run the ball even a little bit, then IU might burn their secondary with the WR IU has.

Indiana looks to have a very strong defense right up the gut/middle. Nate Hoff is a bull in the middle for IU. He will present problems for OSU imo.

I think it'll be a close game that could end up 20-17 or 24-20 either way. You people predicting an OSU walk away are giving IU's defense no respect.

Reactions: ESalum86 and YOTHN
This game could be a slugfest where both defenses play very well. If IU can run the ball even a little bit, then IU might burn their secondary with the WR IU has.

Indiana looks to have a very strong defense right up the gut/middle. Nate Hoff is a bull in the middle for IU. He will present problems for OSU imo.

I think it'll be a close game that could end up 20-17 or 24-20 either way. You people predicting an OSU walk away are giving IU's defense no respect.

This.....

The 9th ranked BiG defense from last year isn't getting no respect, it's just not getting overly generous respect. There's a difference.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

IU can't and won't lose big because of a bad defense. It could lose big because of a tired defense. That's why it's critically important that IU's OL does its part in helping to move the chains and maintaining possession for substantial chunks of time. Three and outs are always the enemy, but particularly so against a team like OSU.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
I would tend to agree with that, Bowlmania. If IU can find enough of a running game, it's going to allow the offense to make plays through the air. I thought I read where OSU is replacing their entire secondary?? That bodes well for Westbrook and Cobbs.

I thought I read where OSU is replacing their entire secondary?? That bodes well for Westbrook and Cobbs.
Yes. OSU is always able to reload with immensely talented recruits, but there's definitely a lack of college game experience back there that we should be able to exploit, particularly if we're able to establish a run/pass balance (that's a big "if").

I would tend to agree with that, Bowlmania. If IU can find enough of a running game, it's going to allow the offense to make plays through the air. I thought I read where OSU is replacing their entire secondary?? That bodes well for Westbrook and Cobbs.
IU won't be able to run the ball consistently, if at all, against Ohio State. That's just not happening.

Last edited:
I pose this question to those that say this is a close slugfest:

what would it say about the IU program if on Friday the Box Score reads 42-10 and IU gave up 600 yards on defense and only has 130 yards total offense? What would you say?

There is a lot of chest beating for a team that hasn't beat the other in what 20+ years?? It seems the complaints about no respect for IU can easily be said about not respecting OSU. Im optimistic every year while playing OSU (at least when CKW was here). I'm anxious to see how we look.im hoping we pick up where CKW left off......I'm hoping we continue to move forward

My answer to your question starts and ends with Tegray Scales, Rashard Fant, Nate Hoff, Chris Covington, and crew. I believe in this defense, I really do.

I could see where Indiana loses 30-20 or something similar but these blow out predictions are dismissing those two All Americans on our defense. They're also dismissing the All Big Ten type players in Nate Hoff, Marcelino Ball, Chris Covington etc.

Obviously lots of people think Wilson was the savior of this program. I'll say this, if TA can't get the job done, I want Glass sh!t canned.

My answer to your question starts and ends with Tegray Scales, Rashard Fant, Nate Hoff, Chris Covington, and crew. I believe in this defense, I really do.

I could see where Indiana loses 30-20 or something similar but these blow out predictions are dismissing those two All Americans on our defense. They're also dismissing the All Big Ten type players in Nate Hoff, Marcelino Ball, Chris Covington etc.

Obviously lots of people think Wilson was the savior of this program. I'll say this, if TA can't get the job done, I want Glass sh!t canned.
IU should be able to hang in for awhile defensively, but their inability to generate any kind of running game will produce too many 2nd and 3rd and longs, tightening the playbook, forcing tough throws with a low chance of success, meaning too many punts and losing the battle for field position. Eventually, even decent defenses (and IU's defense should be decent) start to falter as the game progresses.

OSU has superior skill just about everywhere. But their biggest advantage will be at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and that's where it will be tough for IU to compete for 60 minutes.

Last edited:

If Wilson wasn't the savior of the program then who was? TA has been here 1 year and walked into a pretty good roster for what we're typically accustomed to. And it's not like the defense led the Big Ten or anything...we just weren't awful like we've been most years.

The rebuild of the program is 100% on KW's shoulders. Hopefully TA can continue to build on that.

Your assumption is that we have the same level of defense as those teams. Clemson? Really? They probably have 8-10 NFL players in their 2 deep. You're talking about the national champions last year. We had the #9 defense in a very down Big Ten.

All I'm saying is let's be a bit realistic here.

I liked KW and was upset that Glass fired him in the manner he did. KW did a lot of good for this program. He instilled a toughness, he built solid olines, he recruited better players, etc. I still don't agree with the firing, for various reasons.

I'm now all in with TA because I think he can get iu over the hump. Wilson left a ton of W's on the field, I mean a ton. If TA can get a competent OC, we're in business. Hopefully DeBord is the guy!!

If Wilson wasn't the savior of the program then who was? TA has been here 1 year and walked into a pretty good roster for what we're typically accustomed to. And it's not like the defense led the Big Ten or anything...we just weren't awful like we've been most years.

The rebuild of the program is 100% on KW's shoulders. Hopefully TA can continue to build on that.
Wilson did a credible job and he left things better than the way he found them, but referring to him as the "savior" of the program is a stretch. I'll go with prophet, maybe, but not savior - not with just 12 B1G wins in six years and a third of them against putrid Purdue teams. And you're not giving Allen enough credit. IU would've been 4-8 last year without Allen so this is hardly a case of Allen simply inheriting a good roster in his first year as HC. He's the architect of this defense. And, no, the defense was not in the top tier of B1G defenses, but it was the most improved in the country and will likely be in the top 30 nationally this year.

Maybe we're still waiting for the messiah, or maybe he's already in our midst but our eyes have not yet been opened. Have faith, and believe in the breakthrough!

Your assumption is that we have the same level of defense as those teams. Clemson? Really? They probably have 8-10 NFL players in their 2 deep. You're talking about the national champions last year. We had the #9 defense in a very down Big Ten.

All I'm saying is let's be a bit realistic here.
Comparing IU to Clemson really shows a level of delusion that some have about the program that's kind of sad.

I'm too lazy to go back and see how things were going earlier in the thread, but hey, what's this? Seems like some relatively civil expression of varying opinions at this point in it. Hope we see more of it.

A big key to the game, imo, is if we can stop Barrett from running and make him one dimensional; make him have to beat us with his arm. If that happens, I certainly like our chances. A lot of people on here are talking about how great our defense is....it's definitely much improved, but remember last year's game - we could not stop him. He ran for about 5-6 yards every time, keeping it on the option. Nothing long but enough to move the chains on down the field. For a guy that can't hit water if he fell out of a boat, we cannot let that occur this year.

Wilson did a credible job and he left things better than the way he found them, but referring to him as the "savior" of the program is a stretch. I'll go with prophet, maybe, but not savior - not with just 12 B1G wins in six years and a third of them against putrid Purdue teams. And you're not giving Allen enough credit. IU would've been 4-8 last year without Allen so this is hardly a case of Allen simply inheriting a good roster in his first year as HC. He's the architect of this defense. And, no, the defense was not in the top tier of B1G defenses, but it was the most improved in the country and will likely be in the top 30 nationally this year.

Maybe we're still waiting for the messiah, or maybe he's already in our midst but our eyes have not yet been opened. Have faith, and believe in the breakthrough!

Also while the defense wasn't top tier, it was better than the stats indicated. The offense turned the ball over a TON inside the 20-30 yd line. Not a whole lot the defense can do in those situations. I'd say offensive mistakes were attributable to about 5ish points a game on average more than a typical team, which would have put IU's scoring defense in the top 25 last year.

A big key to the game, imo, is if we can stop Barrett from running and make him one dimensional; make him have to beat us with his arm. If that happens, I certainly like our chances. A lot of people on here are talking about how great our defense is....it's definitely much improved, but remember last year's game - we could not stop him. He ran for about 5-6 yards every time, keeping it on the option. Nothing long but enough to move the chains on down the field. For a guy that can't hit water if he fell out of a boat, we cannot let that occur this year.

If you look at the box score from last year, Barrett only had one rush for 27 yards and a rush for 13 yards and was contained the rest of the first half. Then he killed us on one drive in the 3rd quarter.

I think the jury is still out on what type of Barrett we are going to see this year. All of the messaging out of tOSU right now is that the mentality is being changed from "don't turn the ball over on a pass" to "give your receivers a chance to make the play." At least that's what's coming out of camp. For the sake of tOSU, I hope he can execute on it. Otherwise, I think the combination of the increase in the number of plays that KW wants to see at tOSU and Barrett running too often is going to result in an injury at some point. If that happens, it might be scary for the Buckeyes, seeing as their backup QB just broke his hand and will be out for weeks after his surgery.

I think the jury is still out on what type of Barrett we are going to see this year. All of the messaging out of tOSU right now is that the mentality is being changed from "don't turn the ball over on a pass" to "give your receivers a chance to make the play."
Don't know where that messaging is coming from but I hope it's accurate, at least in tOSU's first game. It could be based on the general understanding that that was basically IU's philosophy last year--throwing to a spot whether the QB had identified an open receiver or not. Count me elated if JT scrambles less and tosses up 50-50 balls more.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Don't know where that messaging is coming from but I hope it's accurate, at least in tOSU's first game. It could be based on the general understanding that that was basically IU's philosophy last year--throwing to a spot whether the QB had identified an open receiver or not. Count me elated if JT scrambles less and tosses up 50-50 balls more.
If you're a Sirius XM subscriber you can listen to the tOSU camp tour episode on demand. Pretty much everyone asked (coaches and athletes) who had anything to do with either QBs or WRs suggested that was the new philosophy. I do think KW is the main reason why, but I also think a lot of it has to do with Ryan Day (QB Coach) and Zach Smith (WRs Coach).

I think Ball is going to come up big in getting some pressure on Barrett. His only real flaw last year was his instincts because he was 17 years old trying to get the system down. He bit on a few plays that cost us but made more plays than he gave up. The Husky position is a mixed bag of duties and blitzing is likely to be a key one against OSU. This year he should feel much more comfortable and I expect we will be seeing him fly around out there. That is one dude you don't want coming down field on you.

If you're a Sirius XM subscriber you can listen to the tOSU camp tour episode on demand. Pretty much everyone asked (coaches and athletes) who had anything to do with either QBs or WRs suggested that was the new philosophy. I do think KW is the main reason why, but I also think a lot of it has to do with Ryan Day (QB Coach) and Zach Smith (WRs Coach).
Wilson will likely want to limit Barrett's exposure to injury, so he'll keep his running to a minimum . Weber and Company will get the majority of the work in the run first offense that Wilson has always preferred. IU may be able to hold on for awhile but OSU is better up front and that, plus IU's likely offensive struggles, will let you pull away.

Last edited:
Reactions: tOSU_fan
I don't think that they're coming to Bloomington and beating IU by 3 TD's. I'm a casual gambler and I never bet on IU because I bet with my heart and not my brain. That said, I think I might have to put $100 down on the Hoosiers to cover. What say ya'll?
IU plays OSU closer than that just about every year. I'd take IU and the points.

I can't argue with that...45-50 points sounds about right. The recruiting classes they are pulling are unbelievable... if we could land a quarter of their four stars it would change the program in a hurry. It's impressive.... but a bucknut is still a worthless nut (TIC)
A Buckeye is a hairless nut.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Looks like the spread has now increased to 21 points for the buckeyes. OSU went 6-7 against the spread last year. I'm liking these odds and hope the spread continues to grow.

If you look at the box score from last year, Barrett only had one rush for 27 yards and a rush for 13 yards and was contained the rest of the first half. Then he killed us on one drive in the 3rd quarter.
I was just going by memory, and perhaps it was that one drive that sticks out in my mind - mainly because that was when the game got away. Only down 7 and we needed to hold them, and we just couldn't with him carrying it most of the time. That's what beat us.

Wilson will likely want to limit Barrett's exposure to injury, so he'll keep his running to a minimum . Weber and Company will get the majority of the work in the run first offense that Wilson has always preferred. IU may be able to hold on for awhile but OSU is better up front and that, plus IU's likely offensive struggles, will let you pull away.

You're likely right - and Meyer is run-first with tOSU since he came to the conference, so I'd be surprised to see otherwise. I'll just be interested to see if Barrett can break out of his shell of depending on his legs and the misdirection rather than being patient, going through the progression and selecting the best possible outcome. IU has played tOSU tough for many years, and I'm not one to prognosticate on the scores. I do think that tOSU will win, but I have a hard time coming to a conclusion as to how this one comes together.

ADVERTISEMENT