ADVERTISEMENT

lindsey graham is upset some people

Aren't we telling non-essential people to not work? Maybe we should incentivize them to not work?

We liberals have said golden parachutes incentivize CEO's to screw up and get fired. Would you get fired tomorrow for a $62 million paycheck? I would.
I don't think most CEO's think that way. Their ego's are way too big. I am sure there is the exception, but to intentionally get fired to get a one time check isn't how they operate.

I have no problem with any of that. I'm only taking issue with the clutching of pearls about the possibility that it might not be "fair" by those who have always somehow ended up on the right side of "fair."
What is the right side of "fair"? I'm curious because that seems to be a very grey line and one that is 100% opinion based.

I don't think most CEO's think that way. Their ego's are way too big. I am sure there is the exception, but to intentionally get fired to get a one time check isn't how they operate.

I am not sure most people think "hey, I can make a few extra dollars by quitting". Sure, some do. And frankly I bet most employers would be happy to be rid of them. Here is the reasons people might not want to do that 1) self-esteem 2) high unemployment after the $600 runs out 3) benefits, anyone in a job with health insurance would certainly lose money by quitting.

Does anyone think we are going to be under 10% unemployment by July 1 even if Trump opens up on Easter?

Reactions: 76-1 and Cortez88
I would semi agree here if there weren't so many that haven't worked any and have gamed the system for years.

I was laid off in 2009 during the mortgage fiasco and was able to draw unemployment, my cousin called me because she knew I was conservative and said "I don't see you turning down government assistance now" my response was call me back when you have put 20 years worth of part of your wages into a system. She is one that is a taker but not a giver, she quickly hung up and it is going on 11 years she has never brought the subject up again. FWIW I took 3 months of unemployment and was called back, I still think I'm ahead of the game as far as money put in vs money taken out.

Who are all these people who have gamed the system and claimed all the riches?

What do you think about the US farmers who were given billions of dollars with no requirement for repayment? Seems we could use those billions about right now.

I am not sure most people think "hey, I can make a few extra dollars by quitting". Sure, some do. And frankly I bet most employers would be happy to be rid of them. Here is the reasons people might not want to do that 1) self-esteem 2) high unemployment after the $600 runs out 3) benefits, anyone in a job with health insurance would certainly lose money by quitting.

Does anyone think we are going to be under 10% unemployment by July 1 even if Trump opens up on Easter?

The benefits piece is huge and is being overlooked. The threat of losing benefits is huge for most all of us.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I would semi agree here if there weren't so many that haven't worked any and have gamed the system for years.

I was laid off in 2009 during the mortgage fiasco and was able to draw unemployment, my cousin called me because she knew I was conservative and said "I don't see you turning down government assistance now" my response was call me back when you have put 20 years worth of part of your wages into a system. She is one that is a taker but not a giver, she quickly hung up and it is going on 11 years she has never brought the subject up again. FWIW I took 3 months of unemployment and was called back, I still think I'm ahead of the game as far as money put in vs money taken out.

Just an FYI. No money withheld from your paycheck goes to Unemployment. Your employer pays money into the system based on their state unemployment rate and they pay into the federal system based on one federal rate.

That being said, anyone laid off deserves their unemployment benefits. Just wanted to make sure you knew the money in the system comes from employers, not employees.

Last edited:

You've paid $0 into the unemployment insurance system......

And gaming the unemployment system isn't really something that's possible, in any meaningful way. Possibly SS disability.... but not unemployment.

Just an FYI. No money withheld from your paycheck goes to Unemployment. Your employer pays money into the system based on their state unemployment rate and they pay federal system based on one federal rate.

That being said, anyone laid off deserves their unemployment benefits. Just wanted to make sure you knew the money in the system comes from employers, not employees.
Fair enough, I'm taxed so many ways it is often difficult to tell where it all goes. The entire point is I do put into the government system and if I derive a bit of benefit from it then it is just. She on the other hand puts very very little into the government system and derives a benefit monthly. I basically told her I would enjoy the money I put in while she too enjoys the money I put in. It is a broken system, one that in times like this can't be completely criticized without looking at root of the problem which has been around for decades.

You've paid $0 into the unemployment insurance system......

And gaming the unemployment system isn't really something that's possible, in any meaningful way. Possibly SS disability.... but not unemployment.
Read my post above, this is all semantics. Everyone on this board knows that without borrowing from one fund to cover another the government would never survive. Look at poor Kentucky, they run such a piss poor state for the past 3-4 decades they had to pilfer the pension fund to cover underfunding elsewhere.

I don't, and I don't have any problem with the bill having that in it, whether it was an oversight or not, I don't care. The bill needed done quickly.

The idea that people people even think that this is their chance to "game the system" makes no sense to me. I just don't think that way, and probably am naive as to how many do. Just look at this thread, and you see several people talking that way, some who are really smart. It just doesn't resonate with me.

Reactions: 76-1
Who are all these people who have gamed the system and claimed all the riches?

What do you think about the US farmers who were given billions of dollars with no requirement for repayment? Seems we could use those billions about right now.
You are really going to go after the farmers of America? I'm very thankful for all the farmers, there is probably a reason they are not on this board defending their honor from guys like you and that is because they are out working. lol

I'm good, really didn't need the unemployment back in 2009 but took it. I was a bit younger and thought I would get mine the same as so many get mine. I was selfish but definitely not naïve.

You are really going to go after the farmers of America? I'm very thankful for all the farmers, there is probably a reason they are not on this board defending their honor from guys like you and that is because they are out working. lol

I'm good, really didn't need the unemployment back in 2009 but took it. I was a bit younger and thought I would get mine the same as so many get mine. I was selfish but definitely not naïve.

Most all the farmers I deal with have small family farms. They’re good hardworking people. They aren’t getting rich and they’re trying to maintain a way of life that probably started with their grandparents or great grandparents.

Most importantly they’re helping keep food in the stores. Most took that for granted until this pandemic.

Most all the farmers I deal with have small family farms. They’re good hardworking people. They aren’t getting rich and they’re trying to maintain a way of life that probably started with their grandparents or great grandparents.

Most importantly they’re helping keep food in the stores. Most took that for granted until this pandemic.
I completely agree, I see farmers working into their late 70's trying to maintain. I don't think many here understand the cost of running and maintaining a farm. I also don't think beyond reading an article some people understand the risk there is to running a farm. Farmers would definitely fall into the essential job category.

No I’m not going after the farmers. I’m pointing out that the aid extended to farmers doesn’t materially differ from the aid extended to the unemployed. People did not automatically jump to the conclusion that the farmers would game the system. We should extend that courtesy to Americans who have recently lost their jobs because of the virus. That’s all.

No I’m not going after the farmers. I’m pointing out that the aid extended to farmers doesn’t materially differ from the aid extended to the unemployed. People did not automatically jump to the conclusion that the farmers would game the system. We should extend that courtesy to Americans who have recently lost their jobs because of the virus. That’s all.
I never said during this issue people would "game" the system. Hell the system has been being "gamed" for years little by little. Believe it or not there are individuals out there that realize they get and make more by sitting at home than working.

Farmers are a really bad example in this conversation, they are essential for many. I don't think we should ignore the many forced into unemployment due to the virus, but if you put a gun to head and said do you want to fund unemployment or famers who provide for the masses I'm probably going to go with option 2. For the record I am not a farmer and no one in my family is, but I have been around rural Indiana and know quite a few and they definitely don't live very high no the hog so to speak, hence they typically work until near 80.

Fair enough, I'm taxed so many ways it is often difficult to tell where it all goes. The entire point is I do put into the government system and if I derive a bit of benefit from it then it is just. She on the other hand puts very very little into the government system and derives a benefit monthly. I basically told her I would enjoy the money I put in while she too enjoys the money I put in. It is a broken system, one that in times like this can't be completely criticized without looking at root of the problem which has been around for decades.
I pay property taxes, which fund the schools. I have no children. I hope all the parents out there appreciate the fact that I'm paying for their kids' education and am not getting anything out of it.

Just an FYI. No money withheld from your paycheck goes to Unemployment. Your employer pays money into the system based on their state unemployment rate and they pay into the federal system based on one federal rate.

With the exception of provisions for natural disasters in New Jersey and Alabama, no employee has ever paid opne penny into UI Trust funds since 1936 when the system started. Those funds are entirely employer funded on an experience based tax schedule. Labor and management have worked together for decades to prevent taking anything from those Trust Funds - state trust funds - for anything other than paying UI benefits.

Reactions: stollcpa
I pay property taxes, which fund the schools. I have no children. I hope all the parents out there appreciate the fact that I'm paying for their kids' education and am not getting anything out of it.
Likewise, my kids are out of school and my property taxes didn't go down how does that work? lol

The best are renters who send 4-5 kids to school and you know how much in property tax they pay.

Likewise, my kids are out of school and my property taxes didn't go down how does that work? lol

The best are renters who send 4-5 kids to school and you know how much in property tax they pay.
Why would you not think their property tax contribution is built into their rent? Do you think their landlord is such a crappy businessman that he/she would just pay the property tax himself?

I think you probably are in over your head on these tax and unemployment discussions.

Funding schools through property taxes is debatable.

However we all benefit from living in a neighborhood, city, state, and nation with an educated population.

Why would you not think their property tax contribution is built into their rent? Do you think their landlord is such a crappy businessman that he/she would just pay the property tax himself?

I think you probably are in over your head on these tax and unemployment discussions.
They do, it isn't always a perfect situation either but it is attempted to be incorporated. I deal with investment purchasers daily and have found that most just "flip" the homes due to zero exemptions for nonowner occupied property as well as the high rate of insurance cost. They also cite the fact that income they bring in is taxed so they also take that into account.

You're probably right I'm in over my head on a lot of things. Want to discuss fishing or hunting techniques I might have you there.

Last edited:

However we all benefit from living in a neighborhood, city, state, and nation with an educated population.
Now there's some Commie "greater good" shit if I ever heard it.

Reactions: hoot1

And a good school in your neighborhood drives up your home value quite a bit.

Reactions: hoot1
You see Mark, whatcha wanna do is get 600 sq ft of living space and try to raise 5 kids in it. That’s not math, that’s just science.
The cool mom in the single wide across the street has it going. She's got a 14 X 70 and only has 4 kids. Livin' the dream.

You do get something out of it.

I have 4 children now, but even before I had them, I always voted in favor of raising my property taxes in order to benefit school needs. Outside of the fact that good schools help your property values, having at the very least, a high rate of high school graduates is good for society at large.

I have 4 children now, but even before I had them, I always voted in favor of raising my property taxes in order to benefit school needs. Outside of the fact that good schools help your property values, having at the very least, a high rate of high school graduates is good for society at large.
I didn't think it would be necessary for me to use the //sarcasm emoji.

Damn takers.

Yeah, everyone knows renters breed like rabbits.
Right, damn renters probably out reproducing as we speak. Come December and January we should see them numbers grow by leaps and bounds don't ya think?

What nonsense..... you think us landlords don't include the property tax in the rent? Actually in Indiana.... renters pay double the property tax rate of homeowners due to no homestead exemption.

The amount of stupidity you are racking up in one thread is amazing. You give conservatism a really bad look.

What nonsense..... you think us landlords don't include the property tax in the rent? Actually in Indiana.... renters pay double the property tax rate of homeowners due to no homestead exemption.

The amount of stupidity you are racking up in one thread is amazing. You give conservatism a really bad look.
You're late in the game, but I agree "us" landlords try to incorporate that into their rent it doesn't always equate to enough, like you said and I said in an earlier post the tax rate is much higher for non-owner occupied due to zero exemptions and increased insurance premiums. I also said that "us" landlords now resort to "flipping" homes as to not worry with the issue of getting enough rent to cover all the expenses as well as turning over a quicker profit.

Last edited:
You see Mark, whatcha wanna do is get 600 sq ft of living space and try to raise 5 kids in it. That’s not math, that’s just science.
Wow sounds like they need to have less kids? :) Is having kids math or science? Oh well as least they all have 100 sq foot of space each. DWS

You're late in the game, but I agree "us" landlords try to incorporate that into their rent it doesn't always equate to enough, like you said and I said in an earlier post the tax rate is much higher for non-owner occupied due to zero exemptions and increased insurance premiums. I also said that "us" landlords now resort to "flipping" homes as to not worry with the issue of getting enough tax to cover all the expenses as well as turning over a quicker profit.

I've owned a good bit of rental property for 16+years.... property taxes are included in rent.... and every tax increase is passed along to the tenants....I explicitly tell them as much when I have a tenant renewing and asks about the increase.

The taxes on these rentals are roughly double what the same property tax would be if an owner occupant lived there. So your original comment about renters is not only wrong..... it's like 200% wrong.... homeowners actually get the break on property taxes.... not renters.

Flipping houses is an entirely different business model... and the income taxes (federal) are worse by far in flipping than passive income from rental property. There are many reasons why this is, but I'm not going to go into them as they are very far over your head.

I've owned a good bit of rental property for 16+years.... property taxes are included in rent.... and every tax increase is passed along to the tenants....I explicitly tell them as much when I have a tenant renewing and asks about the increase.

The taxes on these rentals are roughly double what the same property tax would be if an owner occupant lived there. So your original comment about renters is not only wrong..... it's like 200% wrong.... homeowners actually get the break on property taxes.... not renters.

Flipping houses is an entirely different business model... and the income taxes (federal) are worse by far in flipping than passive income from rental property. There are many reasons why this is, but I'm not going to go into them as they are very far over your head.

You are correct the tax on "flip" homes is substantially worse, but many that I deal with would rather pay that than continuously deal with increasing rental prices, difficult tenants as well as the changing of tenants from year to year.

I'm really not over my head, my initial statement was a bit off line and my thoughts on why it was relevant or even funny go way into detail making this more of a is it "profitable" to own investment homes or not (ie. repairs, remodel expense and general value of rentals being hurt due to the nature of the use and area). I've just seen many get out since it seems as if making money is becoming increasingly difficult in the rental market and part of that is getting quality tenants that can pay higher rent prices when taxes and such continue to increase.

You are correct the tax on "flip" homes is substantially worse, but many that I deal with would rather pay that than continuously deal with increasing rental prices, difficult tenants as well as the changing of tenants from year to year.

I've heard that some people say that many that you deal with are among the best people.

Reactions: UncleMark
I've heard that some people say that many that you deal with are among the best people.
Dredge of society, the biggest set of bottom feeders you will ever find. We often have these conversations around a back door poker game where everyone is rolling blunts and has their cell and Glock on the table.

ADVERTISEMENT