ADVERTISEMENT

Likelihood of landing Miller replacements

It's all about opportunity. Michigan State is arguably the fifth best college basketball program right now (behind Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC) and without a doubt the best program in the B10 the last 20 years. Fife would be walking into an absolute dumpster fire at IU and with minimal head coaching experience (IPFW during their transition to D1) and there's no guarantee he turns the program around. No guarantee he's highly successful at MSU either, but at least there's a foundation of stability that's been established, and he's part of that culture.

This is an extremely silly thought process. Fife is not going to turn down 20-25 million dollars from IU, because he might get the head coaching job, at MSU, at some point this decade. He’s not an idiot. Quit painting him as one.

Last edited:
Beard may well be "different" and in his dream job, but there are many advantages to IU over TX Tech that would appeal to anyone interested in buiding a truly nationally prominent program, national title contention and conference dominance. Tx Tech will always be a football first school, and it's going to be very hard to get over the KS/TX/OK/Now Baylor top dogs. When committing $ and resources, football will always get their itch scratched first. IU has the facilities and salary to make that happen. So, he may be in his dream job and perfectly happy but there are advantages that would appeal to a Coach wanting to win NC's and be elite in his conference. While I love his approach and style of play, there are still questions surrounding Beard: 1) can he deal with being the top program with the brightest and hottest glare? 2) can he recruit well enough? He's done it mostly at TX Tech with transfers, and made it work, but that's a hard "system" to project long-term success with. He definitely should be high on the list and he may well not be interested, but there are still question marks surrounding him, which is why I continue to say: "conduct an exhaustive search!"

while I agree with all of your points regarding Indiana your completely off on Texas Tech they are a basketball school and have been since they hired Bob Knight. They have committed to Chris just as much as damn near any program in the country. ChrisBeard is the best coach in college basketball but he’s living like a king in Lubbock.

Bot? LOL.

You just said this

Alford's handling of the Pierre Pierce rape case should exclude him from ever coaching basketball again. The fact that he's been re-hired three additional times is even more incredible than the idea that he somehow should get the Indiana job.

he should get the Indiana job and he would excel at IU. People make mistakes. He believed his guy before knowing the facts just like you would if your son was facing the same situation.

agree...I know Fife went to IU but he has always been a state of Michigan kid. I think he's just waiting out Izzo. And Beard's gig at TT is better right now than what IU has to offer. More recent success, less pressure, less fanatical fan base. Family. Take Beard off these lists too. And pls stop adding Brad. We really have to move on.

Anyone who's ever been to both Bloomington and Lubbock wouldn't be so quick to take Beard off the IU list. Over 90 degrees for 100 days a year. And even when the weather is nice, it's still, well, Lubbock. I'm not saying that Beard would definitely come here, but don't underestimate the appeal of getting out of Lubbock.

No high school recruit would have any idea who RW is. He’s never coached or recruited a day in college.

Wittman has coaching experience beyond most all of the other guys being pushed here put together, and has played or coached under a who's who of coaching knowledge.

and news flash, but recruits today barely know who Juwan Howard is, and in a couple yrs no recruit will remember seeing him play. (a 2022 recruit would have been 9 yrs old the last yr Howard played).

but parents and high school and AAU coaches do, and kids will always understand All American, NCAA ring, NBA coach.

i'll also bet he'd take a contract that wouldn't cripple IU.

eliminating the most obvious choice is idiocracy.

this is the 3rd time we've had this debate since Davis left.

unfortunately, being horribly wrong time after time after time, somehow never deters low lever thinkers from thinking their thought process was correct, and only bad luck accounted for being wrong time after time after time.

news flash, it wasn't bad luck.

Wittman has coaching experience beyond most all of the other guys being pushed here put together, and has played or coached under a who's who of coaching knowledge.

and news flash, but recruits today barely know who Juwan Howard is, and in a couple yrs no recruit will remember seeing him play. (a 2022 recruit would have been 9 yrs old the last yr Howard played).

but parents and high school and AAU coaches do, and kids will always understand All American, NCAA ring, NBA coach.

unfortunately, being horribly wrong time after time after time, somehow never deters low lever thinkers from thinking their thought process was correct, and only bad luck accounted for being wrong time after time after time.

Most parents and aau coaches wouldn’t have any real familiarity with Wittman, either. Juwan, on the other hand, would be well known to all of them. Zero chance Wittman would or should be considered, and he won’t be.

What is one piece of evidence to suggest Wittman would be successful? He has a career .406 win % & was fired for failing multiple times.

and there's absolutely nothing that points to his not being good or great, and his resume way outshines Fife, no matter how much you wish otherwise.

and if you think Fife would have more cred with recruits than Wittman would, you're a total idiot.

nothing against Fife, he just doesn't have anywhere near the resume Wittman has..

Do you seriously believe if he was set to be a very good college coach or any coach...he’d be sitting around unemployed since 2016?

Fife has positioned himself into a potential gold mine. It's not often a coach walks into a perfectly calm situation like he'd have at Michigan State. He very well could take the IU job if he's tired of sitting around and waiting, but that'd be the end of his MSU dreams. Fife would be coaching somewhere else by now if he even thought the idea of him becoming the next MSU coach was in jeopardy.

Agreed. Greg Gard. Bill Guthridge. Long time assistant coach taking the reins. Back around 1999 I figured Dakich would be IU's coach by about 2005.

Agreed. Greg Gard. Bill Guthridge. Long time assistant coach taking the reins. Back around 1999 I figured Dakich would be IU's coach by about 2005.

he shoulda been given the chance. No promises that he would have won at the levels IU fans expect to win. But there is no question the program would be in much better shape today had he been given the opportunity.

he shoulda been given the chance. No promises that he would have won at the levels IU fans expect to win. But there is no question the program would be in much better shape today had he been given the opportunity.

It would be fascinating to have a "what if" machine and see what would have happened with Dakich as coach. Hard to say, but it would be a fun watch.

Reactions: Nieman and .Gerdis

You don't think kids don't know who the fab 5 is from the 30 for 30 on ESPN?

This is absolutely insane to compare Juwan to Wittman. Juwan is a name that kids know. Randy is someone that hasn't been in the coaching circle since 2016, so these kids were 11 or 12 the last time he was on the sidelines.

Juwan can call up LeBron and Dwayne Wade and chat it up. Who is Randy calling up these days that are wowing kids?

Reactions: IUgradman

This is absolutely insane to compare Juwan to Wittman. Juwan is a name that kids know. Randy is someone that hasn't been in the coaching circle since 2016, so these kids were 11 or 12 the last time he was on the sidelines.

Juwan can call up LeBron and Dwayne Wade and chat it up. Who is Randy calling up these days that are wowing kids?
Juwan is a cultural icon. Whitman is an old white dude who’s coached a couple years in the NBA before.

I would argue that the Fab 5 is the most polarizing college basketball team of all-time. Whether you're 9 or 90, you've heard of the Fab 5. Doubt many people (outside IU fans) could name another player on the 81 team outside Zeke and I'm guessing this newest generation doesn't realize Isaiah even played on that team. It truly is a different era.

Lol no joke. I mean there was a guy suggesting Brunk... LOL
LbkTFdX.gif

I would argue that the Fab 5 is the most polarizing college basketball team of all-time. Whether you're 9 or 90, you've heard of the Fab 5. Doubt many people (outside IU fans) could name another player on the 81 team outside Zeke and I'm guessing this newest generation doesn't realize Isaiah even played on that team. It truly is a different era.

Totally agree with this.

It's absolutely insane how people argue that kids wouldn't know who Juwan Howard is.

He has literally played with LeBron and Dewayne and just as recently as two years ago, was a assistant for the Heat.

Kids definitely know who the main three stars on that team are, and will for a long time.

i guess what we should do is take applications for the job, and just hire the guy with the most Instagram followers.

anyone who liked the hiring of Sampson or Crean or Miller, which is all the guys dogging Wittman and Alford, are just idiots who have zero idea what they are talking about, and think just because they have gone 0 for 99 to date, that the 100th time will be the charm for them.

Einstein's definition of insanity.

if we can get Stevens (who's batting 500 this yr), i'm good with that, but anyone thinking that's a sure thing need think again.

there are no sure things.

Wittman has 10 times the resume and the cred of all the other guys being pushed here. (and being the internet, we have no idea the real agenda of those doing the pushing).

and while i have no inside knowledge if he would even consider the job at this point, if he would, i'm guessing he might be agreeable to a contract that wouldn't cripple IU for another 5-8 yrs, which can't be said about any of the other blindfolded dart throws being pushed here.

it's an ingredient in a recipe, and who works great at one school, doesn't at all at another.

those thinking there is some algorithm pointing the way, just haven't paid any attention what so ever to college bball over the decades.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
I’d wager even fewer IU fans could spell Isiah’s name correctly.

i guess what we should do is take applications for the job, and just hire the guy with the most Instagram followers.

anyone who liked the hiring of Sampson or Crean or Miller, which is all the guys dogging Wittman and Alford, are just idiots who have zero idea what they are talking about, and think just because they have gone 0 for 99 to date, that the 100th time will be the charm for them.

if we can get Stevens (who's batting 500 this yr), i'm good with that, but anyone thinking that's a sure thing need think again.

Wittman has 10 times the resume and the cred of all the other guys being pushed here. (and being the internet, we have no idea the real agenda of those doing the pushing).

and while i have no inside knowledge if he would even consider the job at this point, if he would, i'm guessing he might be agreeable to a contract that wouldn't cripple IU for another 5-8 yrs, which can't be said about any of the other blindfolded dart throws being pushed here.

it's an ingredient in a recipe, and who works great at one school, doesn't at all at another.

those thinking there is some algorithm pointing the way, just haven't paid any attention what so ever to college bball over the decades.

What cred does Randy Wittman have over Scott Drew or Eric Musselman? Randy Wittman has literally never coached at the collegiate level. EVER. He's never recruited before. He has no current ties with high school or AAU coaches. If you think Randy Wittman is going to be able waltz into a living and start landing recruit after recruit selling the fact that he was an AA 40 years ago and was once a failed NBA coach, you have another thing coming to you. He would get laughed at.

No, the definition of insanity would be hiring a guy like Alford who's been fired TWICE from power five schools for mediocrity simply because he wore short shorts here 30 years ago.

There is nothing special in the Bloomington water that will turn a 30 year mediocre coach into an Elite one. It is beyond insanity.

Wittman has also done nothing to suggest he'd be an upgrade over anybody. He's completely unknown at the collegiate level. He's also 100% completely unknown to any potential recruits today. He wouldn't move the needle for anybody except for fanboys living in the past.....until the losing started.

I think it was less of a joke and more an attempt at trolling. It’s not far off from people suggesting Wittman, though. Both are laughably unrealistic.
YOu need to have your physician check you to see what happened to your ability to recognize satire.

I mean, why are you settling for just Wittman? Why not just go all in on Isiah too?

I mean, why are you settling for just Wittman? Why not just go all in on Isiah too?

curious as to the push back on an obvious pick.

went through this exact same debate after Davis, then Sampson, then Crean.

i'm too old to put up with you guys being wrong all the time, and never learning from it.

i don't have time left for you guy's 5 yr mistakes after 5 yr mistakes.

sometimes the most obvious solution, is the correct one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT