ADVERTISEMENT

Likelihood of landing Miller replacements

- Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics head coach) not happening
- Billy Donovan (Chicago Bulls head coach) just signed a contract with Chicago, definitely not happening
- Chris Beard (Texas Tech head coach) not leaving Texas
- Scott Drew (Baylor head coach) this administration isn't touching him
- Eric Musselman (Arkansas head coach) the Arkansas administration had to be talked into taking him on. We're not going to take him
- Nate Oats (Alabama head coach) Probably the most realistic of all
- Porter Moser (Loyola-Chicago head coach) People would probably call him a poor man's Archie
- Steve Alford (Nevada head coach) please, can we stop. 30 years of coaching and not been past the sweet 16.
- Mike Woodson (New York Knicks assistant) zero college experience. Highly doubt any high school kids know he is.
- Dane Fife (Michigan State assistant) we could probably get him, but are we gonna hand over the reigns to someone that doesn't have a winning percentage for his career coaching?

Given Archie's current buyout of $10 million, could IU afford to even look at Oates who is signed on until 2026-2027? The buyout there would be $19 million plus having to go above his current $3.6 million salary?

I don’t mind Matta if he’s healthy. I want a coach that is good and wants to be at Indiana for years like Dukes coach.

Is there any concern with the way Matta finished his tenure at Ohio State? BT finishes of 5th, 6th, 7th, and 10th in his final four years. He was a damn good coach, but were those season anomalies, or were they more of a trend?

Is there any concern with the way Matta finished his tenure at Ohio State? BT finishes of 5th, 6th, 7th, and 10th in his final four years. He was a damn good coach, but were those season anomalies, or were they more of a trend?

His health really deteriorated those last two years due to botched back surgery. He could barely stand on the sideline, let along get around in practice and his recruited tailed off the last two years because of it.

If Matta wants to come coach at IU I think its a no-brainer. Think he's a better coach for the IU job than Stevens. But him wanting the job is a big if.

Given Archie's current buyout of $10 million, could IU afford to even look at Oates who is signed on until 2026-2027? The buyout there would be $19 million plus having to go above his current $3.6 million salary?

This year, highly, highly doubtful.

Fife is going to be the MSU coach within the next 5 years. No chance he'd 100% take the IU job.

What about the curse of being the first coach to follow a legend? I'm not saying I want him as the coach here, but think there are reasons he might not want MSU to be his first big HC gig especially if IU were to become an option. He'd have a long honeymoon here as a former player and the situation he came in to. He'd be compared to Izzo from day one at MSU.

What about the curse of being the first coach to follow a legend? I'm not saying I want him as the coach here, but think there are reasons he might not want MSU to be his first big HC gig especially if IU were to become an option. He'd have a long honeymoon here as a former player and the situation he came in to. He'd be compared to Izzo from day one at MSU.
It wouldn't be his first HC job, do your homework

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath

Fife has positioned himself into a potential gold mine. It's not often a coach walks into a perfectly calm situation like he'd have at Michigan State. He very well could take the IU job if he's tired of sitting around and waiting, but that'd be the end of his MSU dreams. Fife would be coaching somewhere else by now if he even thought the idea of him becoming the next MSU coach was in jeopardy.

Fife has positioned himself into a potential gold mine. It's not often a coach walks into a perfectly calm situation like he'd have at Michigan State. He very well could take the IU job if he's tired of sitting around and waiting, but that'd be the end of his MSU dreams. Fife would be coaching somewhere else by now if he even thought the idea of him becoming the next MSU coach was in jeopardy.
Just curious....
Why do you seem so certain he would be next in line for the MSU job?
Dwayne Stephens has been on their staff there much longer and also played there.

Just curious....
Why do you seem so certain he would be next in line for the MSU job?
Dwayne Stephens has been on their staff there much longer and also played there.

He's much younger and honestly just the hunch I get. I know he already turned the Duquense job down a few years back and know his name has been flirted around other jobs. He's not getting any younger, just don't see Fife staying on at Michigan State for the long haul if him being promoted as head coach isn't the end game.

He's much younger and honestly just the hunch I get. I know he already turned the Duquense job down a few years back and know his name has been flirted around other jobs. He's not getting any younger, just don't see Fife staying on at Michigan State for the long haul if him being promoted as head coach isn't the end game.

yes he's younger, but his resume doesn't remotely touch Wittman's.

yes he's younger, but his resume doesn't remotely touch Wittman's.

Wittman's an NBA re-tread (who wasn't a good coach to begin with) that's been out of a job for 5 years whose never coached or ran a college program in his life. I don't prefer Wittman or Fife to be the next coach, but give me a guy who's a) younger b) is acclimated to the college climate b) has recruited before and has a face recognizable to today's current recruits. Fife at least checks all the boxes, Wittman none. There is nothing that points to Wittman being a good, let alone a competent coach at Indiana.

Reactions: IUgradman
What are the board's thoughts on the likelihood of landing the following coaching candidates:

- Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics head coach)
- Billy Donovan (Chicago Bulls head coach)
- Chris Beard (Texas Tech head coach)
- Scott Drew (Baylor head coach)
- Eric Musselman (Arkansas head coach)
- Nate Oats (Alabama head coach)
- Porter Moser (Loyola-Chicago head coach)
- Steve Alford (Nevada head coach)
- Mike Woodson (New York Knicks assistant)
- Dane Fife (Michigan State assistant)
Brad - 0%
Donovan - 0%
Beard - 0%
Drew - 0%
Musselman - 2.5%
Oats - 0%
Moser - who?
Alford - 100% if offered but 0% IU offers
Woodson - who?
Fife - <10%

Reactions: kmathum
Stevens - 5% if fired. 0% if he isn’t fired.
Donovan - 5% if fired. 0% if he isn’t fired.
Beard - 0%
Drew - 15% depending on compensation offered.
Muscleman - 20% depending on compensation offered.
Oats - <5%. Bama can match our offer and there is 0 pressure there.
Moser - 0% as he isn’t going to be considered.
Alford - 5%. Will only be considered as a last resort.
Woodson - 0%. Won’t be considered.
Fife - 0%. Won’t be considered.

Now to add some realistic options to the list.

Beilein - 70%.
Matta - 50%. Depends on if he wants a big gig to come back to coaching or not.
McDermott - 25% depending on compensation offered.

Matta and Beilein should be the calls after Stevens and Donovan say no.
I always knew you were braindead but thinking you have a 70% chance of landing Beilein just is icing on the cake.

Good point. Why immediately follow a legend when you can be the fifth attempt for a program and fan base desperately pining for the yesteryear of 20 years.

There is nothing that points to Wittman being a good, let alone a competent coach at Indiana.

and there's absolutely nothing that points to his not being good or great, and his resume way outshines Fife, no matter how much you wish otherwise.

and if you think Fife would have more cred with recruits than Wittman would, you're a total idiot.

nothing against Fife, he just doesn't have anywhere near the resume Wittman has..

What are the board's thoughts on the likelihood of landing the following coaching candidates:

-Stevens 25%
-Donovan 1%
-Beard 30%
-Drew 50%
-Musselman 80%
-Oats 50%
-Moser 90%
-Alford 99%
-Woodson 75%
-Fife 95%

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
and there's absolutely nothing that points to his not being good or great, and his resume way outshines Fife, no matter how much you wish otherwise.

and if you think Fife would have more cred with recruits than Wittman would, you're a total idiot.

nothing against Fife, he just doesn't have anywhere near the resume Wittman has..
No high school recruit would have any idea who RW is. He’s never coached or recruited a day in college.

Beilein is your guy

Fife is going to be the MSU coach within the next 5 years. No chance he'd 100% take the IU job. The fact that he hasn't been hired away from MSU furthers that notion. Moser will be the hottest commodity on the market this year. Depending on the other jobs opening, could sway Moser a different way. Scott Drew has been at Baylor 20 years and may win the national title this year. How many coaches have walked away from a 20+ year tenure after having the #1 team in the country the two years prior? Drew would be long gone by now if he was that ready to leave Baylor. Musselman (other than Alford) is the likeliest candidate in that pool to take the IU job.

We agree for once. You are correct it’s not 100 percent chance of Fife coming to IU. It’s most likely somewhere between 95-99% chance.

Agree, he's content to wait

I’m not advocating for Fife. But choosing between Fife and Wittman, I take Fife all day. Having NBA cred isn’t the only pre-req to building a solid program, or else more schools would do it. HoFer’s like Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing (who are way more renowned than Wittman) have been catastrophic failures at the collegiate level. Perennial NBA all-stars like Jerry Stackhouse and Penny Hardaway are also struggling.

Either way it doesn’t matter. Wittman won’t be offered the job, and rightfully so, so no need to worry about it.

My recollection may be off but weren't CTC and CAM more or less suprise hires? Neither being widely talked about, at least on these forums? I would look for it to be no different next time.
CAM was talked about a lot. Didn’t surprise many of us. Quite a few morons talking about Alford and Donovan.

Zero on all..

Eric Musselman is a really safe hire. I’d take him. He’s proven he can win at different levels.

Reactions: IUAPEX
I used to think the administration was a huge hindrance then I saw what Allen and Moren have done the last couple seasons. If you are a good coach you win. Period.

Not that it matters to you but I appreciate your candor in this post.

Reactions: IUgradman
I've mentioned this in another thread or two. Matta isn't coming to Indiana after an Archie firing. Both Sean and Archie are in his coaching tree and that's reason enough for him steer clear if he decides to coach again.

And you know FOR A FACT that Matta wouldn't take the job?

If yes, then how do you know?

Fife is going to be the MSU coach within the next 5 years. No chance he'd 100% take the IU job. The fact that he hasn't been hired away from MSU furthers that notion. Moser will be the hottest commodity on the market this year. Depending on the other jobs opening, could sway Moser a different way. Scott Drew has been at Baylor 20 years and may win the national title this year. How many coaches have walked away from a 20+ year tenure after having the #1 team in the country the two years prior? Drew would be long gone by now if he was that ready to leave Baylor. Musselman (other than Alford) is the likeliest candidate in that pool to take the IU job.
Why would Fife take MSU over IU? IU used to wipe the floor with MSU when we were good. His brother went to UM and other than growing up in MI, why not come back to your alma mater?

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Why would Fife take MSU over IU? IU used to wipe the floor with MSU when we were good. His brother went to UM and other than growing up in MI, why not come back to your alma mater?

It's all about opportunity. Michigan State is arguably the fifth best college basketball program right now (behind Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC) and without a doubt the best program in the B10 the last 20 years. Fife would be walking into an absolute dumpster fire at IU and with minimal head coaching experience (IPFW during their transition to D1) and there's no guarantee he turns the program around. No guarantee he's highly successful at MSU either, but at least there's a foundation of stability that's been established, and he's part of that culture.

And you know FOR A FACT that Matta wouldn't take the job?

If yes, then how do you know?
Really? If you don't see how that shows zero loyalty to younger guys you've mentored and tried to bring along, I can't tell you anything that will satisfy your request. It's not like Matta is an Indiana guy coming home like Ok Roy at UNC.

Matta, like other coaches who are retired, willingly spends time with younger guys either in their tree or who seek them out for advice. Loyalty, common courtesy and basic decency all play a role in it. An older guy would be some kind of scumbag to be a sounding board and offer advice, only to swoop in and take a job one of them holds/held. That's certainly not who Matta is.

By the way, this holds true in most business situations too. You don't screw over your youngsters.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Really? If you don't see how that shows zero loyalty to younger guys you've mentored and tried to bring along, I can't tell you anything that will satisfy your request. It's not like Matta is an Indiana guy coming home like Ok Roy at UNC.

Matta, like other coaches who are retired, willingly spends time with younger guys either in their tree or who seek them out for advice. Loyalty, common courtesy and basic decency all play a role in it. An older guy would be some kind of scumbag to be a sounding board and offer advice, only to swoop in and take a job one of them holds/held. That's certainly not who Matta is.

By the way, this holds true in most business situations too. You don't screw over your youngsters.

In other words, you are speculating.

Let me speculate. Archie is fired, Matta is approached, Matta contacts Archie and Archie gives him his blessing, Matta takes the job.

In other words, you are speculating.

Let me speculate. Archie is fired, Matta is approached, Matta contacts Archie and Archie gives him his blessing, Matta takes the job.
Who on this board isn't speculating?

Nobody knows what's going on FOR A FACT. Sorry I took a dump on your preferred bit of speculation. LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
t's all about opportunity. Michigan State is arguably the fifth best college basketball program right now (behind Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC) and without a doubt the best program in the B10 the last 20 years. Fife would be walking into an absolute dumpster fire at IU and with minimal head coaching experience (IPFW during their transition to D1) and there's no guarantee he turns the program around. No guarantee he's highly successful at MSU either, but at least there's a foundation of stability that's been established, and he's part of that culture.

Indiana is a dumpster fire because the parade of clowns we've had here since Knight (not that he would have kept in state talent in this era) who can't keep in state talent from going other places or pluck surrounding talent from nearby states--Fife being one of them from MI to IU. Love or hate RMK, he won.

Michigan state won the Big Ten 3 times between 1980 and 1999 but 8 times from 2000 to present. Ohio State won it twice between 80-99 and technically 7 times (2 forfeited) between 2000 and present. Kids go where they win.

Luke Fickell was fired after one 6-7 season at Ohio State--that's how much patience they have for losing. In today's world, kids are going where teams win. Where do most of the top talented football HS players in Indiana go--OSU, MI, Notre Dame.

Until IU demonstrates a shrewd commitment to winning and firing those who don't quickly produce results, we'll see more of the same. IMO the administration has gone soft on winning athletically and academically in the last 20+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT