ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington Regional...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Here's the article from the IU site on the regional:

West Virginia comes out of the Big 12 which is considered the 3rd best conference behind the SEC and the ACC. They also have a player that is considered among the four best players in college baseball right now in JJ Wetherholt who is averaging .443 with a slugging percentage of .771, and he has 15 homers and 56 RBIs.

West Virginia hits .295 as a team and their team ERA is 4.35. WVU fielding is almost identical to IU in a statistical comparison with their fielding percentage identical at .969. WVU has 67 errors in 57 games, while IU has 66 errors in 59 games.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...ion-i-baseball-championship-bracket-announced

IA in Terre Haute was prescient by one observer here. Lexington, Ky is close enough. I saw Nashville, TN in another projection. Interesting that BiG Regular Season and Tournament Champs travel as a #2 seed to Winston Salem.
Maryland got screwed IMO, sending them to Winston-Salem as the regular season and tournament champs in the B1G. I think it's possible that IU screwed themselves in the B1G tournament when they went 1-2 and they dropped to a No. 3 seed.

Iowa moved up to the No. 2 seed after being projected as a No. 3 seed before the B1G tournament, and they got the spot in the Terre Haute Regional which on paper looks weaker than the regionals that MD and IU are assigned to. Had IU not faltered starting in the 7th inning of our game with Iowa, maybe we would be in Terre Haute as the No. 2 seed. Iowa beat Indiana State down in Florida in their season opener with that game going 11 innings, so there is some familiarity there. February was a long time ago and teams were trying to figure out what they had going into the new season.

North Carolina coming out of the ACC may just be the team to beat in the TH Regional because of the strength of their conference and they have the 2nd highest RPI in that regional, although Iowa's pitching could get them to a super regional.

I am not a Terps fan despite being from Maryland but I think they have a chance to really cause a scare in Winston Salem. While they were in winner’s bracket (less pressure on bull pen) their bullpen still was up for the challenge

Mercer told reporters today that Sinnard will probably start against WVU. Sinnard pitched the 2nd game in the B1G tourney.

The Mountaineers have two primary weekend starters with the innings pitched by the rest of the staff dropping off considerably after those two pitchers, so we will probably see one of the following two pitchers.

LHP Ben Hampton with an ERA of 4.17 and a WHIP of 1.39 in 82 IP.

RHP Blaine R Traxel with an ERA of 3.79 and a WHIP of 1.13 in 99.2 IP.

Last edited:
Going to the Lexington Regional? Here's a quote from an article today.

"If you haven't already gotten a hotel for Indiana baseball's NCAA Regional in Lexington, Kentucky, you're probably out of luck.

According to Ben Upton on Twitter, there are no hotels within an hour drive of Lexington because of multiple events going on in the city this weekend. Along with the NCAA baseball regional, Lexington is hosting the Railbird Festival, a country music festival, and the state high school track, baseball, softball, and tennis tournaments.

So, Indiana, West Virginia and Ball State baseball players will be lodging in the University of Kentucky's dorms."

Going to the Lexington Regional? Here's a quote from an article today.

"If you haven't already gotten a hotel for Indiana baseball's NCAA Regional in Lexington, Kentucky, you're probably out of luck.

According to Ben Upton on Twitter, there are no hotels within an hour drive of Lexington because of multiple events going on in the city this weekend. Along with the NCAA baseball regional, Lexington is hosting the Railbird Festival, a country music festival, and the state high school track, baseball, softball, and tennis tournaments.

So, Indiana, West Virginia and Ball State baseball players will be lodging in the University of Kentucky's dorms."
Here's a link to an additional article that came out about 30 minutes ago as I post this on the accommodations, and it gives a little bit more detail about the situation.

• Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
FWIW, here's Warren Nolan's prediction for the Lexington Regional, and each regional was simulated 100,000 times to determine the probability of each team winning the regional.

Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4*
(12) Kentucky (0-0)63.5%
West Virginia (0-0)27.0%
Indiana (0-0)9.4%
Ball State (0-0)0.2%

In the Terre Haute Regional, they had Indiana State at 40.3%, Iowa at 37.3%, UNC at 19.9%, and Wright State at 2.5% for Day 1. Of the simulations of all 16 regionals, the TH Regional was the closest among the top two teams in each regional.

Here's a link to an additional article that came out about 30 minutes ago as I post this on the accommodations, and it gives a little bit more detail about the situation.

I just read that article. Sounds like it's going to be a crazy weekend in Lexington.

• Wow
Similar hosting take ..

“The City of Lexington, on the other hand, has no business hosting an NCAA baseball regional this weekend. It is unable to house the 3 teams playing in Kentucky’s regional, which should be an automatic disqualifier for submitting a regional bid in the first place.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...cky-has-no-business-hosting-an-ncaa-regional/
Well you guys got be banned so I had to start over. Now that article might be the most stupid thing I have ever read. I am not going anywhere near the Regional with Mercer in charge despite being four hours or so away to watch us get our brains beat in.

With that said I hope this so called media guy is proud of himself for blatant lies. He yelps about the costs but forgets that if Lexington's bid got denied it doesn't just go to an alternate park, but to the team next in line to host. This means IU, West Virginia, and Ball St (and their fans) are all travelling by plane to much further away spot which is far more expensive than staying 45-60 min each day from a park that is within a pretty short drive of all three schools.

I wish editors would hold these writers accountability for printing stuff like this that blatantly does not paint the whole picture correctly. I am not saying hotel situation in Lexington is ideal and fans having to travel each day from an hour away each day is better avoided. However, in this case it beats the alternative of all three teams hopping on a plane to whoever the no. 17 team was. IU was certainly not hosting with their late season collapse and the only change to bracket would have been giving the new host (Campbell?) the one seed, UK the two seed, and Indiana the three seed, and West Virginia taking the two seed at whatever site was bumped to a one.

I am not defending Kentucky and they planned this very poorly but in this case it is to the benefit of all three travelling teams that UK got to host despite the bad hotel situation.

Here's an article from the IU site on three players that are at the end of their college career after the tournament.

Nice article. Good reminder for us fans that these young men are hard workers that are making major decisions about their baseball lives by coming to Bloomington and trusting the coaching staff to get them where the want to go.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT