ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis or Fife as an Assistant Coach?

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Great basketball minds, bring one of them home to mentor under Woodson and possibly take over the program in the future. Lewis and UCLA played well in the NCAA Tournament, and I like their offense. Lewis would be a great hire for IU.

Great basketball minds, bring one of them home to mentor under Woodson and possibly take over the program in the future. Lewis and UCLA played well in the NCAA Tournament, and I like their offense. Lewis would be a great hire for IU.
Neither of these guys are NBA development guys or deeply connected to AAU, right? That’s what Woody needs so he can successfully recruit the kind of talent that will get us closer to elite status. We have enough nostalgia for IU’s past greatness with Woodson himself. He covers that quite well, thank you.

Except Michael Lewis isn't interested in coming back. Besides, UCLA is a good job if he wants exposure to get a head coaching position. Why leave?

Woodson is going to pick someone he is comfortable with. Maybe someone he has coached with or a friend or former teammate.

Both of these guys are more than capable of being great assistants for IU. Not all 3 assistants have to be deeply rooted in the aau landscape. It is possible neither are interested given they are already in big time programs. I loved Calbert as a player, but these 2 have a better pedigree and have had a bigger role in the development of the teams they have been associated with. Former Hoosiers or not, I'd be thrilled if we landed one.

Reactions: 76-1
Both of these guys are more than capable of being great assistants for IU. Not all 3 assistants have to be deeply rooted in the aau landscape. It is possible neither are interested given they are already in big time programs. I loved Calbert as a player, but these 2 have a better pedigree and have had a bigger role in the development of the teams they have been associated with. Former Hoosiers or not, I'd be thrilled if we landed one.

Lewis is the guy I'd most like to see on the bench, with Cheaney a near tie..., along with Keith Smart...

Fife seems very unlikely to come (in my opinion)... He's got to much invested in BBeing the M$U Coach in waiting...

Here's why (Lewis's bio):

Add the 2021 Final Four to that bio...

Last edited:
Reactions: HillzHoozier
Why would either of those guys make a lateral move? Fife is in line to be hc and it appears Lewis has a pretty good gig now.

Lewis is coaching for a te
Money offer a pay raise to Mike Lewis. He is showing he is a future head coach. If I'm right he could be a head coach in waiting at some point..
Key word might, he could be a head coach in waiting at Ucla which is a winning program. At this point being an assistant at UCLA would look better on ones resume than at IU.

Mick Cronin in 49... if he keeps the train rolling then he isn't leaving. If Woodson has success, he isn't leaving either, but retirement comes into play. I am sure one of Dolson's points to Coach Woodson putting together a staff was that it should try to include a succession plan. If the goal is to embrace the past and move ahead, you do not hire Woodson, have success, and then go outside of the "family," again... If that individual is already on staff that is an advantage. Not to say Fife or Lewis for example could not stay where they are at or jump to a different gig in between.

Why would either of those guys make a lateral move? Fife is in line to be hc and it appears Lewis has a pretty good gig now.
Lewis is making under 300 and Fife about 350. IU should be able to afford doubling both their pays and bringing both onto the staff. They saved money on the HC salary.

Lewis is coaching for a te
Key word might, he could be a head coach in waiting at Ucla which is a winning program. At this point being an assistant at UCLA would look better on ones resume than at IU.
Why?

AJ Moye wants a job on the staff.

He and Keith Smart are the two guys who would appear to be immediately available...

Smart seems a really solid hire if he's interested... Teaching young players is supposed to be his strong point...

I don't know what Randy Wittman is doing these days but he's two years younger than Woodson and would be a solid addition if he'd consider an Assistant position...

With Hunter back aboard we have two slots to fill... If he keeps Roberts, there's still one opening (as an on the floor Assistant)...

Last edited:
He and Keith Smart are the two guys who would appear to be immediately available...

Smart seems a really solid hire if he's interested... Teaching young players is supposed to be his strong point...

I don't know what Randy Wittman is doing these days but he's two years younger than Woodson and would be a solid addition if he'd consider an Assistant position...

With Hunter back aboard we have two slots to fill... If he keeps Roberts, there's still one opening (as an on the floor Assistant)...
I heard K.Smart in an interview the other day. He's really impressive.

Reactions: 76-1 and jiouhyu
Are there rules to how many coaches you can have at practices?
Do they game day coaches have to be the ones that recruit or can others do that?

Neither one of knows if that is true, but AJ would be a guy who gets it. Smart or lewis might be better coaches.
Moye has said it was advice he got from Woodson that led him to get into coaching. He does private player development. Or used to.. I haven't look it up recently.

Here's a decent article listing some possible hires:

My personal favorites are Mike Lewis and Calbert Cheaney but I won't get a vote (and I don't know if the Pacers would release CC from his contract)... Keith Smart is next in line on my list and really it's a coin flip between he and CC...

The only reason Mike Lewis comes in at number 1 for me is his current college recruiting background, otherwise my whole top 3 could be reversed and they would still be a couple of solid Assistant Coaches (in my opinion)...

Let's hope MW is able to get his staff together quickly... Who's on it most likely be the key to how many of our guys decide to return from the Portal and who we may be able to recruit from it...

Reactions: brianiu
Neither one of knows if that is true, but AJ would be a guy who gets it. Smart or lewis might be better coaches.
I do know it’s true. One of my good friends is pretty close with him and his wife. He has texted and called Archie the last 2 times a spot opened up and Archie completely blew him off. Just another thing Archie did that irked me.

I do know it’s true. One of my good friends is pretty close with him and his wife. He has texted and called Archie the last 2 times a spot opened up and Archie completely blew him off. Just another thing Archie did that irked me.
They need another roller board recruiter, younger with existing connections. I still believe Fife or Lewis are that guy but I love AJ.

My personal favorites are Mike Lewis and Calbert Cheaney but I won't get a vote (and I don't know if the Pacers would release CC from his contract)... Keith Smart is next in line on my list and really it's a coin flip between he and CC...

The only reason Mike Lewis comes in at number 1 for me is his current college recruiting background, otherwise my whole top 3 could be reversed and they would still be a couple of solid Assistant Coaches (in my opinion)...

Let's hope MW is able to get his staff together quickly... Who's on it most likely be the key to how many of our guys decide to return from the Portal and who we may be able to recruit from it...

I'd love to see Tim Buckley. How badly does this squad need an assistant known as "The Shot Doctor". I've heard former players on the various podcasts credit him for helping them turn into great shooters. Bring this please.

Thanks for the link. I had not seen the article.
My two biggest take aways were that neither Lewis nor Fife were next in line as HC. The board here has always assumed they were.
The second was that I saw no one listed as east coast recruiting strength. All had Indiana and some midwest ties bit we need to compete in the east against Rutgers and MD and perhaps even Penn State.

My two biggest take aways were that neither Lewis nor Fife were next in line as HC. The board here has always assumed they were.
The second was that I saw no one listed as east coast recruiting strength. All had Indiana and some midwest ties bit we need to compete in the east against Rutgers and MD and perhaps even Penn State.

I think K. Hunters recruiting strength is supposed to be on the East coast, particularly from mid-Virginia and clear up through Massachusetts... Roberts was theoretically overlapping VA and on down to FL... (nothing definitive about those coverage areas ..., that's just what I've inferred from what I've heard/read)...

Lewis was interviewed by Jim Coyle and was far from saying yes but certainly didn't say no...
Sounded like a really tough sell to get him though...

Link:

He's on air speaking only with no video...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT