ADVERTISEMENT

LeWhine loses

What are your thoughts on Trump v. Obama?

01027.jpg

Reactions: mike41703
Can only imagine the backlash and gnashing of teeth had an NBA player called Obama a bum. Like it or not Lebron, he's your President and couldn't care less about the NBA. I find it hysterical that actors and athletes actually think Americans care what they think about things like politics. These people exist in my world solely for entertainment if I so choose, nothing more, nothing less.
I find it hysterical that ministers who adore a shady New York real estate developer actually think Americans care what they think about things like politics.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Sure you could - the tired recourse to contesting something on the basis of unqualified opinion is irrefutable. Some contest on the basis of actual events, and as you're esteemed opinion is only as good as its foundation, you've got nothing to whine about if and so long as all you bring is revisionist history and opinions that are immune to critical thinking/reality.

So save your advice - anyone arguing that stupidity is something that should be tolerated IS the old man yelling at kids on his lawn.

Says the guy attacking and arguing with everyone on the board not named TMP. :D Have a good night old man.

Reactions: Lucy01
I find it hysterical that ministers who adore a shady New York real estate developer actually think Americans care what they think about things like politics.

I don't even have tv service anymore so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Says the guy attacking and arguing with everyone on the board not named TMP. :D Have a good night old man.

Tu crees lo que quieres. And then supply the narrative, any narrative, with lots of moving parts and contradictions as a balm for - insert appropriate descriptors HERE - (the mind reels) for that is what orangeatangs do. :cool::cool::cool: Sweet dreams pumpkin.

I thought his characterization of Trump as a "bum" was spot on (and restrained if anything), as was his remark 2 days ago that pretty much no one in the NBA wants an invitation to the WH. And for the record and by definition, nostalgia is specific to past events, not/never current ones.
So the current feeling of the NBA compared to the nostalgia of what it was. That's what I was getting at. Is that better?

So the current feeling of the NBA compared to the nostalgia of what it was. That's what I was getting at. Is that better?

KD and Lebron would embarrass your precious 80's/ 90's players up and down the court. You obviously don't watch, so you wouldn't know.

The skill level of a Stephen Curry or Klay Thompson would befuddle 80's/ 90's defenses to the point of exhaustion. It would be like inserting a modern day rifle platoon into the Civil War.

They're out-manned and out-gunned.

KD and Lebron would embarrass your precious 80's/ 90's players up and down the court. You obviously don't watch, so you wouldn't know.

The skill level of a Stephen Curry or Klay Thompson would befuddle 80's/ 90's defenses to the point of exhaustion. It would be like inserting a modern day rifle platoon into the Civil War.

Well duh, you could take the worst NBA team today and they would probably smash a great team in the 80s. Athletes are bigger, quicker and stronger. It doesn't mean I have to like the game. I do like Steph, KD, and the Rockets team. The worse NBA team would smash any college team but I like the college game a whole lot more.

Perhaps if Obama had said/done even a fraction of the idiotic BS that Trump has someone would have. But he didn't. And whatever else he did or didn't do, President Obama upheld the dignity of the Office and U.S. standing in the world, observed the rule of law, the Constitution and the separation of powers, while hauling America out of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. If you recall that got him called far worse than a bum.

As for your wishful BS about the Donald being above caring what others think of him - besides wealth it's pretty much all he cares about as his world-class narcissism attests. "Your world" sounds like a blissfully ignorant vacuum if you credit his Orangeness with being anything other than a charlatan and very bad actor himself.
Donald Trump is John Galt, and, someday, you will be happy about that.

Not true at all. The rules were different and the style of play and the acumen of the players was different. Durant and Curry are impressive in any era but the game is made to protect the 3 and the shooter these days.

Individual and team defenses were better back then but offensive one on one is better now. 3 point shooting is better now.

Jordan, Kobe, LeBron? Good in any era. But no one has ever had the drive to win like MJ.

They don't allow the fight, the physicality like they did. And now, they give pet players their pet move for free. So it isn't that players were tougher men, it is just that they were used to that conflict and they got at each other more than they do now. The personal nature of the battles was physiological, and that threw guys off. A good example in the modern era is Lance vs LeBron. That kind of thing was a constant. The current game protects players "getting theirs" more than in past eras, and that is a difference.

Great players, different eras. The only thing I know for sure is that LeBron would have even fewer championships if Jordan was in his prime now.

Last edited:
Way too much politics on this thread. I have very strong political feelings but I am not going to bring it here. If the moderators allow it to continue it will escalate and it will get ugly really fast. I suggest that this should be nipped in the bud ASAP

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Just glad he lost, and lost badly. Was hoping for a melt down, I'll take it. He will leave Cleveland again.

Not true at all. The rules were different and the style of play and the acumen of the players was different. Durant and Curry are impressive in any era but the game is made to protect the 3 and the shooter these days.

Individual and team defenses were better back then but offensive one on one is better now. 3 point shooting is better now.

Jordan, Kobe, LeBron? Good in any era. But no one has ever had the drive to win like MJ.

They don't allow the fight, the physicality like they did. And now, they give pet players their pet move for free. So it isn't that players were tougher men, it is just that they were used to that conflict and they got at each other more than they do now. The personal nature of the battles was physiological, and that threw guys off. A good example in the modern era is Lance vs LeBron. That kind of thing was a constant. The current game protects players "getting theirs" more than in past eras, and that is a difference.

Great players, different eras. The only thing I know for sure is that LeBron would have even fewer championships if Jordan was in his prime now.

Do you really think the physicality of the 80's & 90's would favor those players over the larger, stronger, precisely conditioned players of today's NBA? Weight training, health, and nutrition has come miles since the 80's & 90's.

Lebron has destroyed Lance every time they've met. I can't see the personal, trash talk, physicality of the 80's/90's getting to him, it never has.

The 3 point line is defended much better today than it was in the 80's and 90's. Like I said, they would be defenseless, to Curry or Durant.

It would be much easier for today's players to adjust to greater physicality, than for 80's or 90's players to magically become more skilled or more athletic.

If you think today’s Pro Basketball player is opinionated and political you would have hated it back in the 60’s and 70’s. Lew Alcindor was really vocal.

Sorry to continue the politics, but can you give any specific examples of why...in detail that are comperable? I just don't see any real way the argument can be made. Ummm....asking for a friend?

Yup.
All day, every day.
He's not who I would have personally chosen, but he beats the heck out of the one he replaced.
But then who wouldn't?

I wish we could see it. I don't know, though. I think current players wouldn't be able to stay with the greats from the 80's on the inside, and each possession was valued so much more. More 80's players knew fundamentals to a better degree (especially defensively) and the game was officiated completely differently (todays rules discouraging defense and slower developing plays would without a doubt be an advantage to this generation). I guess a lot would depend on the rules agreed upon (they actually called walks before the MJ era). So, I just think there are too many variables to make the claim either would run away with it (and you have to be talking about all stars vs all stars. So, I think you dramatically overestimate the athletic difference....). Larry Bird in his prime would not be able to stop KD, but I seriously doubt KD could have done any better stopping Larry than the hundreds of All star level defenders who tried. Arguments like this are pretty ridiculous, though, as the game was so much different 30 years ago. It is 100% opinion, but a lot of the all time greats (Isiah, MJ, Larry, Ewing, etc) were 80's NBA players. I wouldn't say anyone would run away on the best group you could put together....and what current great does nothing but rebound, defend, dunk, and get in people's heads like Rodman? Current players would have breakdowns on the court dealing with him:

Can someone explain the extreme hatred of the guy? Is it just how he went to Miami or how he left? KD wasn't exactly competing for championships until he joined a team that already was. I don't really follow the NBA other than IU players, but I just don't get it. He doesn't even have semi-legit things to be pissed about (like Brady) to me. Can someone explain? I'll admit I hated Manning for somewhat stupid reasons when I was young and hated myself even more, but....

Just glad he lost, and lost badly. Was hoping for a melt down, I'll take it. He will leave Cleveland again.

Sorry to continue the politics, but can you give any specific examples of why...in detail that are comperable? I just don't see any real way the argument can be made. Ummm....asking for a friend?

Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to get into another political discourse.
Anything I would say would just start another round of argument and the board just doesn't need that.
You and I obviously have different opinions on the path our country should be headed and neither of us is going to change the other's mind.
Have a good day. :)

I wish we could see it. I don't know, though. I think current players wouldn't be able to stay with the greats from the 80's on the inside, and each possession was valued so much more. More 80's players knew fundamentals to a better degree (especially defensively) and the game was officiated completely differently (todays rules discouraging defense and slower developing plays would without a doubt be an advantage to this generation). I guess a lot would depend on the rules agreed upon (they actually called walks before the MJ era). So, I just think there are too many variables to make the claim either would run away with it (and you have to be talking about all stars vs all stars. So, I think you dramatically overestimate the athletic difference....). Larry Bird in his prime would not be able to stop KD, but I seriously doubt KD could have done any better stopping Larry than the hundreds of All star level defenders who tried. Arguments like this are pretty ridiculous, though, as the game was so much different 30 years ago. It is 100% opinion, but a lot of the all time greats (Isiah, MJ, Larry, Ewing, etc) were 80's NBA players. I wouldn't say anyone would run away on the best group you could put together....and what current great does nothing but rebound, defend, dunk, and get in people's heads like Rodman? Current players would have breakdowns on the court dealing with him:
Agree...

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT