ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Play "Media"!

Nuclear war was not stopped by Kennedy - a Russian sub officer, who didn't know whether WWIII had started or not, convinced his fellow officers not to launch his nuclear torpedoes when US Destroyers were dropping depth charges on them.

As the story states, the crisis was over the next day - after Kennedy agreed to withdraw missiles from Turkey.
Yeah, that was after the blockade began, which was Kennedy’s idea. Against the advice of the military.

Now, imagine a scenario in which the US invades or sends air strikes that DOESN’T result in nuclear war. It’s very hard to do that.

Also, the missiles withdrawn from Turkey were already obsolete by that point. Besides, the soviets kind of had a point. Why should they allow missiles in their back yard if the US wouldn’t allow them in theirs?

Last edited:
Yeah, that was after the blockade began, which was Kennedy’s idea. Against the advice of the military.

Now, imagine a scenario in which the US invades or sends air strikes that DOESN’T result in nuclear war. It’s very hard to do that.

Also, the missiles withdrawn from Cuba were already obsolete by that point. Besides, the soviets kind of had a point. Why should they allow missiles in their back yard if the US wouldn’t allow them in theirs?
Well, that wasn't the point, or at least my point. Kennedy was very lucky cooler heads prevailed at the point where usually decisions are automatic.

He gave a great public display of standing up to Krushchev, but he did give in to their demands in the end.

There were many of these games played during the cold war. I worked as a Russian linguist in Berlin for the Army Security Agency, and our intelligence went straight to the NSA. Blackmail and coersion was very much a major part of the Cold War. And both sides tweaked the other whenever possible, and many of those were games of chicken. My Air Force counterparts were harrassed almost daily by Soviet pilots and, I assume, we did the same to them.

As for a scenario where the US invades or bombs Cuba, there is no way the Soviets would start a nuclear war over Cuba. They were masters at bluffing. As an example, before the Wall went up in Berlin, orders were given that, if the Allies objected militarily, they were to stop building the wall. Unfortunately, that intelligence never reached the White House in time because of the backlog of translating tapes. It was found out months after the wall went up. After that, we developed a process where, if a linguist heard anything urgent, they could order a flash message be sent that would go straight to the White House. That's how we knew about the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia before it happened.

Well, that wasn't the point, or at least my point. Kennedy was very lucky cooler heads prevailed at the point where usually decisions are automatic.

He gave a great public display of standing up to Krushchev, but he did give in to their demands in the end.

There were many of these games played during the cold war. I worked as a Russian linguist in Berlin for the Army Security Agency, and our intelligence went straight to the NSA. Blackmail and coersion was very much a major part of the Cold War. And both sides tweaked the other whenever possible, and many of those were games of chicken. My Air Force counterparts were harrassed almost daily by Soviet pilots and, I assume, we did the same to them.

As for a scenario where the US invades or bombs Cuba, there is no way the Soviets would start a nuclear war over Cuba. They were masters at bluffing. As an example, before the Wall went up in Berlin, orders were given that, if the Allies objected militarily, they were to stop building the wall. Unfortunately, that intelligence never reached the White House in time because of the backlog of translating tapes. It was found out months after the wall went up. After that, we developed a process where, if a linguist heard anything urgent, they could order a flash message be sent that would go straight to the White House. That's how we knew about the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia before it happened.
Interesting info.

In the new woke military they’d drum out a Conservative Republican like you. There’s only room for woke libs who’ve passed all their CRT classes.

Reactions: DANC
I worked as a Russian linguist in Berlin for the Army Security Agency, and our intelligence went straight to the NSA.
thats-one-big-pile-of-crap.jpg

Wow....forgot about the Berlin Wall going up on Kennedy's watch. The accepted wisdom is they believed Kennedy to be inexperienced and weak, thus leading to their testing him over Cuba.

I'm sure everyone might have different opinions on the list, but if you review the list of participants who scored the presidents, you would have a hard time arguing against their credentials. The advisory team for the survey is also a who's who of historians and scholars, including Richard Norton Smith who I've met several times. His past gigs include first Executive Director of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, Director of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum in West Branch, Iowa; the Dwight D. Eisenhower Center in Abilene, Kansas; the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and the Reagan Center for Public Affairs in Simi Valley, California; the Gerald R. Ford Museum and Library in Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Congrats.....you found the Republican...lol

Do you play golf? Any other hobbies? What if we did a GoFund me so that you could spend 90% of your time on a hobby?
I'm starting a new hobby this year. I'm going to become a gun collector and out into the backwoods and shoot beer bottles and cans.

I wonder who wrote those for her?
It's a good chance they came from her Jewish Communications Director- Jeremy Slevin.

"A senior D.C. staffer adds: “There’s no question that there are many Jewish staffers on the Hill that are told one version of history growing up but now have a much more evenhanded analysis of the conflict.” Many peers working in Congress have taken a similar journey.

“Hill staffers are a self-selected collection of politically engaged people,” the aide says. “They want to do good things; they could be making more money elsewhere. It’s a perfect storm of people who will be very self-reflective on this kind of stuff.”

Waxman believes members of this generation are a bit resentful about being raised on mythic images of Israel. “We’ve heard stories of college students with these evolving stances,” he says, “but they’re growing up and entering positions of influence and bringing their critical attitudes toward Israel into their work.”

Jeremy Slevin, Rep. Ilhan Omar’s communications director, believes he would have experienced such an evolution even if he didn’t work for the Minnesota congresswoman – though her position as one of Israel’s severest critics certainly focused his mind.

Slevin describes “baked-in assumptions about Israel” while growing up in the Washington suburbs. “It’s not like I was being indoctrinated about Israel in Hebrew school, but it was threaded throughout,” he says.

The senior staffer, meanwhile, notes growing up in a liberal environment but still being taught a one-sided view of the conflict: “We would sing ‘Hatikva’ but not really interrogate how Israel came to be, and there was no real mention of Palestinian people at all. They just weren’t part of the narrative.”

There was the time a rabbi described how the Palestinians walked off their land in 1948, not deserving the right of return since they willingly left.
“I was 14 at the time and didn’t have a counter-narrative, so I took it at face value,” the staffer recounts.

www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk

These Young Jewish Staffers Are Bringing Their Disillusionment With Israel to Capitol Hill

There really is a change taking place in Jewish diaspora communities, nowhere more advanced than in the United States. The…
Palestinians didn't "willingly" walk off their land when Israel was created. They were deported...Being anti-Zionist is Political, not racist. Zionism is a POLITICAL IDEOLOGY- it does not equate to BEING JEWISH...

"Slevin notes milestones along the way, especially concerning events such as the rapid expansion of Israel’s West Bank settlements and Benjamin Netanyahu’s alignment with then-President Donald Trump and the far right, as well as the prime minister’s “affirmation of Jewish supremacy,” as Slevin puts it, with the law declaring Israel the nation-state of the Jewish people.

The staffer adds that Netanyahu “has done tremendous damage. He has made Israel a partisan issue, he cares more about evangelical Christians than young Jews, and people have noticed.”

Slevin admits he didn’t learn about the Nakba – when more than 700,000 Arabs fled or were expelled from their homes during the 1947-49 war – until “relatively recently,” crediting his work in Washington and Palestinian voices on social media.

His experience on the Hill let him see how criticism of Israeli policy could be conflated into misguided allegations of antisemitism. He first worked for Keith Ellison, the first Muslim member of the House. Referring to the liberal pro-Israel group J Street, he describes Ellison as a “two-stater in the J Street mold.”

trump will continue to fade as a result of his own insane remarks, that he already lost, cholesterol, legal issues, better options emerging like desantis as referenced in this piece, age, on and on.

The left creates an alternate reality for themselves to justify the idea that they don't have to debate their political opponents because they are evil, thus diminishing real bigotry.

It's obviously ludicrous that California has banned state travel to practically half the country.

The incentives for vaccine are too white, middle/upper class, and might be systematically racist. Free scholarships, Starbucks cards, hunting and fishing gear, groceries won't cut it.

Incentives need to be new wheels and speakers for your ride, certificates to tattoo and nail salons, malt liquor, recreational pot, skateboards, baggy jeans, hoodies and for those in St Louis, free ammunition. Maybe let people keep the needle for future use. Ya gotta reach the demographic that's avoiding the vaccine.

Edited and made better.
WHAT THE F*CK

• Angry
Reactions: Lucy01

The left creates an alternate reality for themselves to justify the idea that they don't have to debate their political opponents because they are evil, thus diminishing real bigotry.

It's obviously ludicrous that California has banned state travel to practically half the country.
Imagine this-Florida passes a law banning biological males from competing against biological females in high school sporting events.....

......and gets slapped with a travel ban from California for “discriminatory practices”.

We truly live in a clown world.

Imagine this-Florida passes a law banning biological males from competing against biological females in high school sporting events.....

......and gets slapped with a travel ban from California for “discriminatory practices”.
I think DeSantis and the FL legislature are pandering douchebags, but also think that California needs to quit trying to impose its POV on other states (even though I would tend to agree with it). Surely they have better things to do closer to home.

I think DeSantis and the FL legislature are pandering douchebags, but also think that California needs to quit trying to impose its POV on other states (even though I would tend to agree with it). Surely they have better things to do closer to home.
So you feel like biologically male teenagers should be allowed to compete against female teens?

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC

Why has where Nikole Jones works become national news?

That's why UNC was pressured into giving her tenure.

Wilson is 13th on the list
War time presidents always get a bump. Especially if you win. League of Nations idea laid the groundwork for the UN. Reasonable can disagree on the UN's role anymore but back when 1/2 the world were commies it was vital (along with NATO).

Then again he was an inveterate racist POS. So there's that.

Lincoln was a slave owner AND a Democrat.

Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT