ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Speculation begin...

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
...or rather continue to hitherto unprecedented heights/depths.

So IU's first-year Coach has an open scholarship. Some say he keeps it, others no. Given the lack of stature and depth in IU's frontline and the availability of potential impact Players, I imagine otherwise. Coaching at IU is different than Dayton if only for the level of expectation, and the role requires filling some rather "big shoes" regardless of who wore them last. Dayton's uncommitted 6'6" recruit (by CAM) is still casting about and others have been mentioned. Given the abundance of openings after the 2017-18 Season (see below courtesy of Inside the Hall - http://www.insidethehall.com), hard to see CAM hanging onto this in light of performance pressure, desire to hit the hardwood running and moreover augment frontline height, defense and scoring.

I say IU picks someone up else, the only real question IMO is who. Given the depth this board boasts at the position of armchair coach, if you're CAM or rather you're the MAN, who do you pick/want/get?

scholarships051617a.jpg

So IU's first-year Coach has an open scholarship. Some say he keeps it, others no. Given the lack of stature and depth in IU's frontline and the availability of potential impact Players, I imagine otherwise. Coaching at IU is different than Dayton if only for the level of expectation, and the role requires filling some rather "big shoes" regardless of who wore them last. Dayton's uncommitted 6'6" recruit (by CAM) is still casting about and others have been mentioned. Given the abundance of openings after the 2017-18 Season (see below courtesy of Inside the Hall - http://www.insidethehall.com), hard to see CAM hanging onto this in light of performance pressure, desire to hit the hardwood running and moreover augment frontline height, defense and scoring.

I say IU picks someone up else, the only real question IMO is who. Given the depth this board boasts at the position of armchair coach, if you're CAM or rather you're the MAN, who do you pick/want/get?

scholarships051617a.jpg
Unless there is a quality 5th year senior big man I would hold the scholarship for next year. Getting kids this late usually leads to projects or fliers like April and Priller. The 6'6 forward that was committed to Dayton is rated like 300 in 247 sports so I would not take a chance on him.

Reactions: Bippy
Unless there is a quality 5th year senior big man I would hold the scholarship for next year. Getting kids this late usually leads to projects or fliers like April and Priller. The 6'6 forward that was committed to Dayton is rated like 300 in 247 sports so I would not take a chance on him.

Once again, glad you're not the one calling the shots. So you're saying you would NOT ink Bowen from La Lumiere? And "hold" it for what? Are five openings the following year...

Once again, glad you're not the one calling the shots. So you're saying you would NOT ink Bowen from La Lumiere? And "hold" it for what? Are five openings the following year...

Bowen is Texas bound if tea leaves are correct. If I'm Archie....there's not much downside to offering a grad transfer. I just don't want him to offer a 4 year commitment to a potential guy. Would rather save for future classes.

Reactions: Bippy
My thinking is that we have no shot at him so I was not counting him. It looks like it is between Arizona and MSU and Texas for Bowen. Waters is the only high ranked player that is still available. Also Miller said most of the time he will not use all 13 scholarships so I don't think he will just sign someone that is not worthy.

I wish we could have had this opening earlier and maybe signed Donnal from UM as a 5th year senior.

Just as long as CAM does not pick up some obscure player no one has ever heard of and signs him in late August just to fill up a roster

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
How about MiKyle McIntosh from Illinois St as a graduate transfer? He's 6-7 234 lbs, averaged 12.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.8 apg last year and was second team all-MVC.

scholarships051617a.jpg

Grad transfer or juco post to play backup to Davis. That's our need. If one isn't available leave it open. The last thing we need is another wing.

Last edited:
I don't feel guard is a huge need but PG could certainly be improved. If Archie put some effort into landing Waters could he be a realistic get.

Given our lack of depth up front I think you really need to look at bringing in a 5th year big guy. Hopefully there are still some good ones left.

Is that the Daz kid? Can't remember his name. I read he was closer to 6'4" and Brian Snow, the national recruiter, said they moved him from a 3 star to a 4 star because he vastly improved over the past 8 months.

Said the kid is super-tough, which is what Archie is really looking for.

I'd take him.

Grad transfer or juco post to play backup to Davis. That's our need. If one isn't available leave it open. The last thing we need is another wing.
Agree 100%. We've got enough guards and wings.

Remember the last player we got from LaLumiere? Pass.

Fill a need or bank it.

SouthBendJim

I'd take Bowen and build bridges to in-state LaLu. Bowen can really shoot the rock, reminds me of CWAT

I think he will try for a Big grad transfer and if nothing is available mcroberts will end up with a scholly

I certainly -hope- that's what he does. Save it for next year, heck even hold it for a quality fifth year guy then. There aren't going to be "Priller time" minutes given out like before. I trust Archie will be much more selective in that regard.

I certainly -hope- that's what he does. Save it for next year, heck even hold it for a quality fifth year guy then. There aren't going to be "Priller time" minutes given out like before. I trust Archie will be much more selective in that regard.
I am hoping that Miller will tighten the rotation and only plays 8-9 players and if that happens we won't have to worry about the end of the bench.

Reactions: mazz
Go after ball players that make your team more competitive, regardless of position. And don't change your recruiting philosophy because its the end of May. If the kids fit what you want...then you go after them. If they don't, don't reach for them just because they're available.

And don't NOT go after a talented kid that fits what you want...just because he doesn't fill an immediate need. A glaring example would be not going after a kid like Waters (assuming he fits what CAM wants)...because you feel like you need more post depth. We aren't elite at any position right now. If there's a guard out there that is better than who we have...why on earth would we pass on someone like that?

While I agree that our depth will likely be an issue against some teams, and if there are injuries to key players, it'll become a big problem...the flip side is a front court of Davis and Morgan is, without question, our biggest strength. Can Smith, Moore, Hartman, and/or McSwain help out at all and guard other teams bigs? That's the worry and the question. If they can, we don't have depth issues (assuming Davis and Morgan stay healthy). If they can't, or if Davis or Morgan get hurt, we do. But there's no question we have ball handling concerns out top. And if a guy like Waters helps that, it is probably the biggest realistic improvement we could make to our team at this point.

I think he will try for a Big grad transfer and if nothing is available mcroberts will end up with a scholly
I certainly think we need another big. I looked at the list of grad transfer and there and a few guys that look promising but alot of them have terrible numbers.

Archie needs to build bridges to Laporte LaLumiere 2019 Top 15 Tyger Campbell is a great HS Soph. PG. 2017 McDonald's All-American Bowen could step in and play right away and could be a major scorer and rebounder.

Archie needs to build bridges to Laporte LaLumiere 2019 Top 15 Tyger Campbell is a great HS Soph. PG. 2017 McDonald's All-American Bowen could step in and play right away and could be a major scorer and rebounder.
Campbell is already committed to DePaul after DePaul hired La Lumiere coach. Also looks like Bowen is down to 3 teams MSU, Texas and Arizona.

scholarships051617a.jpg

I think he should get a JUCO big for two years. That is if any are out there and available. That would mean we have five scholarships available for next year due to the five seniors leaving and that's a big recruiting class. Then we'd have two more the next year instead of one and maybe one or two more if someone decides they can go NBA. Recruiting 3 to 5 every year is a good. Are there any good JUCO bigs available. Don't need a starter but we need a capable backup that can play 10 minutes or so a game if needed.

I'd take Bowen and build bridges to in-state LaLu. Bowen can really shoot the rock, reminds me of CWAT
I'll take TWat (insert Beavis joke here), if we can make up for lost ground given that the previous idiot coach didn't even recruit him. Trendon is Wat 2.0.

I think he should get a JUCO big for two years. That is if any are out there and available. That would mean we have five scholarships available for next year due to the five seniors leaving and that's a big recruiting class. Then we'd have two more the next year instead of one and maybe one or two more if someone decides they can go NBA. Recruiting 3 to 5 every year is a good. Are there any good JUCO bigs available. Don't need a starter but we need a capable backup that can play 10 minutes or so a game if needed.

Dwight Coleby would be a great get. I hope we take a look, but I think he already has his landing spot.

Very well put.
Although, I think the feedback he's received from next year's potential recruits, and their advisors (parents and/or coaches), will have an extremely minor impact on the decision to use or hold the slot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT