ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s share 9/11 stories here

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
and keep away from politics in this thread, if possible.
My school starts fairly late. I was in the hallway welcoming children. One of my kids came in all excited saying a plane ran into a building. I didn’t think too much about it, but ducked into teachers’ lounge to see the news on and teachers filled me in. It was terrible going to the classroom and trying to teach as I kept checking my computer for news. Several of the children’s parents came to pick them up, so many that the others were asking questions. We’d been advised not to say anything. Longest day I ever taught. I barely slept that night, sitting on the couch and watching the news all day. Sent a note home with parents telling them we’d be watching the rememberance on Friday in the room, and their children could opt in or out. More than half gave up recess and ate lunch in the room to watch. It’s a big responsibility to be with a group of children during a time in which every single one will remember where they were as adults. For weeks afterwards, I’d have kids come up to me at recess and want to talk about it, several parents told me their children had nightmares. I finally got to the 9/11 museum this summer in NYC. It’s an overwhelming experience to be standing in the spot where all of this happened. The only positive thing about it? The feeling of unity around the entire country for the next several months. So please share your stories.

So please share your stories.
picture-of-suspected-hijackers.jpg

Reactions: sluggo69
I will try and pull this back to the original intent.

I graduated from IU in May of 2001. I started my first "real job" in June. That job had a bit of a flexible work schedule so September 11 happened to be a scheduled day off for me. Like any self respecting 22 year old with no family would do, I slept in a bit that day. I woke up and turned on the TV about a minute before the second plane hit the WTC. I remember being somewhat dumbfounded the rest of the day. Girlfriend got home from work and we were glued to our TV the whole night just kind of digesting what had happened.

I woke up on September 12th highly pissed off. The rest of the week was just kind of going through the motions.

I kind of grew up in a weird point in our history. For my first decade on this planet, the Soviet Union was the big bad guy and the guy who looked like my Grandpa with the soothing voice was doing his best to beat the bad guys. Then the Berlin Wall fell. Woohoo! Then the Soviet Union collapsed! Awesome. My late teens and early twenties, things got rocking. The tech boom hit and we quickly went from cordless phones and dial up internet to T1. It kind of felt like the world was going to be my generations oyster. Then boom, 9/11. And recession. And war. At 20 I somewhat figured that the fall of communism would be the defining moment for people in my age group. Instead I saw cousins and friends march off to another war.

I'm still pissed about that day.

My school starts fairly late. I was in the hallway welcoming children. One of my kids came in all excited saying a plane ran into a building. I didn’t think too much about it, but ducked into teachers’ lounge to see the news on and teachers filled me in. It was terrible going to the classroom and trying to teach as I kept checking my computer for news. Several of the children’s parents came to pick them up, so many that the others were asking questions. We’d been advised not to say anything. Longest day I ever taught. I barely slept that night, sitting on the couch and watching the news all day. Sent a note home with parents telling them we’d be watching the rememberance on Friday in the room, and their children could opt in or out. More than half gave up recess and ate lunch in the room to watch. It’s a big responsibility to be with a group of children during a time in which every single one will remember where they were as adults. For weeks afterwards, I’d have kids come up to me at recess and want to talk about it, several parents told me their children had nightmares. I finally got to the 9/11 museum this summer in NYC. It’s an overwhelming experience to be standing in the spot where all of this happened. The only positive thing about it? The feeling of unity around the entire country for the next several months. So please share your stories.

Yet, another example of a teacher making responsible positive decisions to provide comfort and safety to their students (children) during such a horrifying event. Teachers deserve the utmost respect and recognition for all that they do in and out of the classroom. Good job, zeke, in a difficult situation. Thanks for sharing.

As for the post I was fortunate to not have had the opportunity to view? The "ignore" feature is my back-up sanity saviour.

And there we go just like that. I hope you get banned sooner rather than later. It’s just a matter of time.

I think you are being too dismissive here.

I really don't remember much about the day of the attack or ensuring few days other than where I was and what I was doing type of stuff. After the initial shock, I remember becoming focused on the motive for the attack. My appetite for information about that has never been satisfied. One could understand, and not be surprised about, attacks based on economic considerations or to reclaim lost territory. But this attack was obviously different and quickly developed into a political divide about radical Islamic terrorism--a phrase which many to this day will shun. We discussed that often right here.

I read and learned a lot about Islam in the following weeks and months. I remember never trusting the information since all of it seemed to be advocating a point of view. All I can say now is that this attack has forever changed Islam for some people, including me, because the attack takes an important step towards normalization of unspeakable acts. I think millions of Muslims struggle with the same uncertainty about this.

Zeke, look at the faces Quix posted. Really look at them and ask yourself what they thought there were doing? That is an important part of this attack and Quix was correct in reminding us of that.

Of the many of eye-witness accounts I read about this, one that sticks out in my memory was one by a lawyer on his way to the office in D.C. and who watched the plane plow into the Pentagon. I cut it out and saved that one.

On a different note. Is it time to establish the death toll to be in excess of 5,000 instead of the usual 3,000+? A couple of thousand of survivors and first responders are now dead because they inhaled airborne toxins.

Reactions: Quix0te
And there we go just like that. I hope you get banned sooner rather than later. It’s just a matter of time.

I think you are being too dismissive here.

I really don't remember much about the day of the attack or ensuring few days other than where I was and what I was doing type of stuff. After the initial shock, I remember becoming focused on the motive for the attack. My appetite for information about that has never been satisfied. One could understand, and not be surprised about, attacks based on economic considerations or to reclaim lost territory. But this attack was obviously different and quickly developed into a political divide about radical Islamic terrorism--a phrase which many to this day will shun. We discussed that often right here.

I read and learned a lot about Islam in the following weeks and months. I remember never trusting the information since all of it seemed to be advocating a point of view. All I can say now is that this attack has forever changed Islam for some people, including me, because the attack takes an important step towards normalization of unspeakable acts. I think millions of Muslims struggle with the same uncertainty about this.

Zeke, look at the faces Quix posted. Really look at them and ask yourself what they thought there were doing? That is an important part of this attack and Quix was correct in reminding us of that.

Of the many of eye-witness accounts I read about this, one that sticks out in my memory was one by a lawyer on his way to the office in D.C. and who watched the plane plow into the Pentagon. I cut it out and saved that one.

On a different note. Is it time to establish the death toll to be in excess of 5,000 instead of the usual 3,000+? A couple of thousand of survivors and first responders are now dead because they inhaled airborne toxins.
Hard to believe you remember so very little about such a seminal day in our country’s history. He is certainly free, as are you, to start another thread to discuss the reasonings behind. I specifically asked for memories of that day. Of course, no one has to follow my requests. Appreciate those that did.

Read this "tribute" to those who were killed on 9/11. Airplanes crashed. Buildings fell. People died. It's as if the whole thing was caused by an earthquake or a hurricane. No mention of the ghoulish Islamic jihadists who murdered those innocent Americans.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article218180025.html
I don't think most Pearl Harbor accounts have gone into great detail on the Japanese pilots in a number of years. After a while we shift to memorializing the fallen.

Read this "tribute" to those who were killed on 9/11. Airplanes crashed. Buildings fell. People died. It's as if the whole thing was caused by an earthquake or a hurricane. No mention of the ghoulish Islamic jihadists who murdered those innocent Americans.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article218180025.html

Quix, I am usually pretty close to picking up what you are putting down but, time and place man, time and place. I intentionally stayed away from this thread, well because zeke started it, but she made a pretty simple request. I am not saying that you are wrong, but I personally think you are in the wrong time and place. To semi quote a great movie title I just watched (don't laugh), we are all the same kind of different (sometimes). I ask that you lay down the sword on this one, if even for just a bit.

I was in Europe in my apartment. A friend called and told me to turn on CNN. I watched both towers fall. It was scary. At first I didn't know what the hell was going on so I imagined the worst and I didn't want to get trapped there. It was grim watching the minutes unfold as they repeatedly showed the buildings collapse with new angles and new information. It was surreal being so far away. Hard to empathize with those experiencing it. Like watching a bad movie. I was relieved when it seemed there wasn't going to be world war. And when they accused bin Laden. Europeans were sympathetic, to a person offering their condolences. More than just Americans were united at that time.

Reactions: sglowrider
Quix, I am usually pretty close to picking up what you are putting down but, time and place man, time and place. I intentionally stayed away from this thread, well because zeke started it, but she made a pretty simple request. I am not saying that you are wrong, but I personally think you are in the wrong time and place. To semi quote a great movie title I just watched (don't laugh), we are all the same kind of different (sometimes). I ask that you lay down the sword on this one, if even for just a bit.
SHorter Joe (liberally interpreted): Hey Q, don't be an ass

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I just watched a 9/11 documentary and it showed people jumping out of the windows...it's sickening!!!! It brought tears to my eyes, I had to change the channel.

Religion is a scary thing, that's what caused 9/11. They were religious zealots, hellbent on killing the so called infidels.

I just watched a 9/11 documentary and it showed people jumping out of the windows...it's sickening!!!! It brought tears to my eyes, I had to change the channel.

Religion is a scary thing, that's what caused 9/11. They were religious zealots, hellbent on killing the so called infidels.

And yet, we refuse to punish Saudis.

I watched several documentaries and read several books. The two things that haunt me the most are the people jumping out of the windows ( and there were pictures of them in papers too) and Father Judge who was killed while giving last rites by a falling body.

Reactions: td75

My first memory of that day was for some reason noticing there seemed to be a lot of planes flying. Not sure why I noticed that, maybe because it was such a beautiful clear day.

Living in the DC area we had friends directly impacted that day. Especially one who had his office destroyed at the Pentagon. Luckily, he was down the hall and survived to join in the rescue effort. His emotions finally caught up with him the following Sunday, when he broke into sobs. He went to Afghanistan as an interrogator.

We also had friends at NSA. Of course I couldn't ask them about that day, but they were definitely on a mission in the following weeks.

The strongest emotion for me that day was knowing the world would never be the same for my kids. I hated the attackers and their supporters for that.

A final memory is seeing one lone air force plane flying high the next day. We were at war. At home.

Usually I'm too selfish, like most people, to get my feelings involved on the anniversary. Today's been a bit different, and that's ok.

The world really hasn't been the same since then. It's sad.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
My ex-wife called me to look at CNN that evening (SG time). We were talking about the 1st crash when the second happened. It was surreal -- stupid CNN said that the 1st crash was a possible accident -- which was stupid as no planes are ever going veer off course like that. (No Richard Quest back then.)

Then my mum called. She was freaking out and asked me to call my sister in NYC. (The other had moved to SF a couple of years before.) I told her there is no way the debris or subsequent fire would ever reach my sister's place uptown, by Colombia University & Riverside -- and my brother in law's startup was like a few blocks away and it was too early for him to be there.

Anyway, I think I tried calling from 11 pm till 4 am when I finally got through. He was out for a jog and she was in a shower when it happened, with no TVs in the house (due to the kids) they were oblivious to it. :rolleyes: But when they did find out, they were glued to the neighbour's TV for days.
I also remembered my sister was telling me that her first instinct was to call my Dad, who had died like 12 years earlier. It was his favourite building in NYC, he loved the simplicity of the lines and the intricacies of the design.
This is the thing about the death of a loved one, you never get over it, you just learn to cope.

When I did visit the rubble site a few months later. You could just feel the heavy sadness, somberness in the air from the souls that died there. I have never been to any other place in the world that you could feel that in the air. My sister told me that visiting the Auschwitz Memorial is quite similar.

Something inside of all of us died that day and in part our faith in humanity.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law worked on the 97th floor of the south tower of the WTC.

It took an excruciatingly long period of time on 9/11 before I heard from family that he happened to have an early morning meeting uptown on the morning of 9/11. He lost 79 of his colleagues and best friends that morning.

One of the greatest honors I have ever had was visiting the impact site in Shanksville, PA. Not at the viewing location a couple hundred yards away at the public visitation area. Rather, the actual impact site, which is off-limits to visitors. I stood next to the boulder at the edge of what remains of the hemlock grove. I was there with some family members of the victims, including the son of a Flight 93 passenger. My knees nearly buckled from the emotions. It is impossible to fully convey what that experience was like. Heck, I think this may be the first time I have tried to do so (other than with my wife, who was not there). I still struggle for the right words to explain the experience.

79 colleagues dead. Dear God.

I pray and hope to never see another day like that.

He can’t you know, mostly because he’s a nincompoop.

I don't think most Pearl Harbor accounts have gone into great detail on the Japanese pilots in a number of years. After a while we shift to memorializing the fallen.

Not the same thing at all. The Japanese attack was carried out . . . . . .well . . . . . . by the Japanese. The attackers were trained members of the armed forces following their commanders. The cause was mostly strategic and economic.

In stark contrast was 9-11 which was carried out by individuals following their faith for no discernible strategic objective.

Not the same thing at all. The Japanese attack was carried out . . . . . .well . . . . . . by the Japanese. The attackers were trained members of the armed forces following their commanders. The cause was mostly strategic and economic.

In stark contrast was 9-11 which was carried out by individuals following their faith for no discernible strategic objective.
This shows remarkably obtuse thinking about what it is AQ wanted back then. But whatever you gotta say so that you can bash Muslims.

Hard to believe you remember so very little about such a seminal day in our country’s history.

I think you are jumping to conclusions. I said I have a distinct memory of the usual stuff about what I was doing and what I said, and who I said it to, when the attack took place. I don't remember much about the rest of my day. Making decisions about scheduled events was my responsibility, but I don't have a memory of that. I know my dominant memory soon turned to trying to reach some understanding about why it happened. That remains unresolved to this day.

Since this is so clear cut for you, give us your answer in 25 words or less.
Anybody who can read a book knows that the actions of AQ that day differ very slightly from the kamikaze bushido warriors of japan. Both were blindly following a doctrine - and both are equally silly and nihilistic for doing so.

Both were surprise attacks. To the dead at Pearl, I think it little mattered who the pilots were. And we vilified the Japanese just as much for many years. But at some point it stopped being "hate on Japan" and started becoming about the American losses.

at some point it stopped being "hate on Japan" and started becoming about the American losses.

That's true. But I am not sure of your point. The hate on Japan was throughout the war as we learned about such things as the Bataan Death March, the hideous treatment of prisoners and civilians and the horrible battles of Iwo and Okinawa. But the post war was important for reconciliation. I don't see a lot of parallels with 9 11.

Last edited:
Anybody who can read a book knows that the actions of AQ that day differ very slightly from the kamikaze bushido warriors of japan. Both were blindly following a doctrine - and both are equally silly and nihilistic for doing so.

Good grief. That's amazingly shallow. We pretty much know what Japanese doctrine was and why. What exactly is the 9 11 doctrine and why was it doctrine?

That's true. But I am not sure of your point. The hate on Japan was throughout the war as we learned about such things as the Bataan Death March, the hideous treatment of prisoners and civilians and the horrible battles of Iwo and Okinawa. But the post war was important for reconciliation. I don't see a lot of parallels with 9 11.

The point is what I said. Eventually these observances switch from hate to memorializing. It is also true at most holocaust observations. Most people can only hold onto hate so long. Plus we like remembering the victim more.

Think of it this way, don't you think those terrorists would be thrilled to know we are still showing their photos 17 years later? Isn't this what we talk about for other crimes, don't give the perps the attention they seek?

Q was angry a news story did not detail the terrorists. I am saying that makes sense this far out. Let's not keep those terrorists names and faces in our collective memories. Our fallen deserve to be remembered, the terrorists deserve to be eternally forgotten.

The point is what I said. Eventually these observances switch from hate to memorializing. It is also true at most holocaust observations. Most people can only hold onto hate so long. Plus we like remembering the victim more.

Think of it this way, don't you think those terrorists would be thrilled to know we are still showing their photos 17 years later? Isn't this what we talk about for other crimes, don't give the perps the attention they seek?

Q was angry a news story did not detail the terrorists. I am saying that makes sense this far out. Let's not keep those terrorists names and faces in our collective memories. Our fallen deserve to be remembered, the terrorists deserve to be eternally forgotten.

Hm. You make an excellent point and I want to agree with you. but the reason we move on, in some measure at least, if not large measure, is the amount of contrition shown by the wrong doers. The Axis Powers became contrite.

I also think you misinterpreted my comment about the faces of the 9-11 terrorists. It isn’t to perpetuate hate. It’s to remind me, and maybe others, that we really don’t know jack about why the attack happened. We know why WWII began.

Both were surprise attacks. To the dead at Pearl, I think it little mattered who the pilots were. And we vilified the Japanese just as much for many years. But at some point it stopped being "hate on Japan" and started becoming about the American losses.

Yes, several years after defeating them in a roughly 4 year long war where we burned their country to the ground, dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, and forced them to adopt a more western form of government, and neutered their military...yeah, a few decades after that we started to get over it.

I still don't feel we are "even". Maybe someday when enough of those little bastards and those who support them have been sent to an early meeting with...well, not allah...that they stop trying to target us and show the same contrition as the Japanese, maybe after that I will let go of a bit of the anger. 17 years later, still fighting the same people in a very constrained manner, not ready to let go of the ill will. And frankly, these yearly reminders where I see the planes crash into the Towers again, hear the phone calls of passengers to tell their loved ones goodbye one last time, yeah, that does nothing to heal my butthurt over that day. It just rips the scab off again.

So if anyone does not want to be real mournful, I get it. Anger is an emotion I do well.

Last edited:
Japan being beaten into submission had something to do with that....

One of the vivid memories I have of that day for some odd reason, was what a beautiful morning it was in Elkhart where I lived and worked at the time. My wife dropped me off at the office, as my car was in the shop and we were down to one car right at that point, then on to take the kids to school. And I just remember noticing for some reason more than usual how perfect the weather was. Maybe because it's so seldom perfect in Elkhart!

Then while working at my desk, I got a text from my sister that said "you need to get to a TV as fast as you can" and I thought that was pretty unusual. Seconds later I heard commotion across the hall in HR, and I think I did a quick check on CNN.com (my go-to online news source at that time) and saw some first reports of what was happening. By this time there were people gathering in HR, and I went over there and someone wheeled in a TV on a mobile cart and hooked it up. Probably 30 of 40 of us stood there most of the day watching it all unfold on that 19" TV.

We lost a former employee in the attack. She had just recently married and moved to NYC and was excited to start her new life and job working in the World Trade Center...

One of my coworkers was in the air when it started and his flight was one of those diverted to some remote base in Canada where he stayed for like a week. I've forgotten the details now, but he had quite a story to tell when he got back.

I had just moved that year to Birmingham Mi. which is a suburb of Detroit to help with the credit culture of a Bank we had acquired. I knew very little of the area still but had been heavily recruited by Ford in Dearborn and had learned quite a bit about the area because of it. For those that don’t know, Dearborn (at least at that time) had the largest Muslim population in the States.

I don’t remember much about the weather as others have recalled. Maybe it is because of my background. I remember my employees working and me bringing updates to them throughout the day. I remember the local news stories coming out about altercations happening at convenience stores and in the streets. I remember the cheering to be honest with you that they say didn’t happen. I saw vehicles flying Arab country flags from cars as people hung out the windows honking horns in Dearborn... it quickly stopped because of the violence being returned on those displays.

I remember the anger. I remember for the first time I would not be part of the tip of the spear. My Marine Corps career had ended 5 years prior. I felt helpless and useless. I avoided areas where I might be confronted with let’s just say less than sorrowful expressions of the day.

There just isn’t anything from that day that was a good memory for me.

Where I was working at the time had a server room that was located next to my office. The servers were blocked from using the interwebs, so I was out of touch entirely. I was showing my boss something when another member of the IT staff, and a good friend, came down and said he had heard a plane flew into the World Trade Center. The three of us were all assuming it was a cessna, and either someone committing suicide or just a poor pilot. And, to be honest, we made some poor jokes about poor pilots.

After I finished in there we went to my office where we brought up CNN and watched just as the 2nd plane hit. Suddenly everything changed entirely. My friend called home, he had left the Marines 11 years earlier and he was set to reenlist. He wanted to let his wife know that was his plan. He ended up not reenlisting, but it had more to do with 11 years of sedentary lifestyle than his desire to. We called the local Red Cross and setup an appointment to donate blood at 5. We showed up there at 5 and was able to walk right past the very long line of people who hadn't called ahead. I am not sure I would have stood in a line an hour or more to donate blood. Kudos to those who were willing to.

I recall my wife wanting to go get the kids out of school. All were in elementary school. I asked her not to. She did go and pick them up as school ended, and she said it appeared absolutely everyone else did the same thing.

I will say that the days after the attack we saw some of the best leadership this country has seen in a very long time. Everyone, R and D, knew what to do. But we also saw the weakness of the internet. Some of the wrong rumors of that day spread far and fast.

Where I was working at the time had a server room that was located next to my office. The servers were blocked from using the interwebs, so I was out of touch entirely. I was showing my boss something when another member of the IT staff, and a good friend, came down and said he had heard a plane flew into the World Trade Center. The three of us were all assuming it was a cessna, and either someone committing suicide or just a poor pilot. And, to be honest, we made some poor jokes about poor pilots.

After I finished in there we went to my office where we brought up CNN and watched just as the 2nd plane hit. Suddenly everything changed entirely. My friend called home, he had left the Marines 11 years earlier and he was set to reenlist. He wanted to let his wife know that was his plan. He ended up not reenlisting, but it had more to do with 11 years of sedentary lifestyle than his desire to. We called the local Red Cross and setup an appointment to donate blood at 5. We showed up there at 5 and was able to walk right past the very long line of people who hadn't called ahead. I am not sure I would have stood in a line an hour or more to donate blood. Kudos to those who were willing to.

I recall my wife wanting to go get the kids out of school. All were in elementary school. I asked her not to. She did go and pick them up as school ended, and she said it appeared absolutely everyone else did the same thing.

I will say that the days after the attack we saw some of the best leadership this country has seen in a very long time. Everyone, R and D, knew what to do. But we also saw the weakness of the internet. Some of the wrong rumors of that day spread far and fast.

Was it the Red Cross in Bloomington by chance? I was a sophomore at IU that year and shared a house with four other guys a couple blocks south of campus. I woke up to one of my roommates yelling. He is a pretty excitable and loud person, so in that moment I assumed it was nothing out of the ordinary. When I went down the hall to his room he told me about the first plane hitting the WTC. We went downstairs and all five us were glued to the TV for the rest of the morning.

In the early afternoon, we were all overtaken with this feeling of needing to do something to help, whatever it may be. We ended up going to the Red Cross around 3:00 or so and waited in line for more than an hour to donate. Our TV was tuned to CNN for days after.

Aside from the shock and onset of anger, one of my most vivid memories of the day, of all things, was an email one of my professors sent. He was the only one of my professors not to cancel class that day, and sent an email saying that we would meet as usual at 4:00. I skipped, and found out on Thursday that almost everyone in the class did too. Why that memory stands out among the rest, I don't know.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT