ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s pretend starting 2001-2002

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Rick Majerous and Bob Knight have a talk, And Majerous is named next mens basketball coach after Davis’ interim season. How well do you think Coach Mejerous (sp) could have done at IU for 10 years before his health sent him down? I feel we would have been top 10-15 every season after a couple of years and a couple B1G titles in these 10 seasons and maybe a few long Ncaa runs ?
Thoughts? Was Mejrous done after the the turn of the century?

Reactions: DANC
I think RM would have killed it at IU and I was always hoping for us to land him. My guess is that with 10 years at the helm there would have been at least 2-3 B1G titles and probably a Final4 or two as well. I just doubt that the administration would have gone after him with his personality being so big. Not at all what the weasel d!cks wanted after RMK.

Rick Majerous and Bob Knight have a talk, And Majerous is named next mens basketball coach after Davis’ interim season. How well do you think Coach Mejerous (sp) could have done at IU for 10 years before his health sent him down? I feel we would have been top 10-15 every season after a couple of years and a couple B1G titles in these 10 seasons and maybe a few long Ncaa runs ?
I think RM would have done well. However, before RM or any other hire I would have liked for IU to conduct a national search for the best coach to fill the position. Mike Davis seemed like a nice guy but was nowhere up to the task of being the IU head coach.

First off, not sure how or why Knight and RM would have a talk. Knight was fired by 2001 and wanted nothing to do with IU back then.

Rick would've done extremely well here and the brand of basketball he taught woul've been very appealing to IU fans. I remember his Utah teams from the late 90;s and how much I liked watching how they played. He was one of a few experienced coaches I wanted IU to go after and it never happened.

i just wonder what Mike Davis could have done at IU, had a big part of IU nation not done all they could to hinder him as opposed to helping him.

no coach in college bball history ever got unfairly fought by his own fan base more than MD, and he still achieved better than his successors up til now.

what recruit would want to walk into that hate, and he was effectively a lame duck his entire time here.

still he took IU to the champ game, and would have had a top ten team his last yr had DJ White not gone down, and altered IU at 3 positions while taking out their most valuable player for virtually the entire yr.

people don't really give him credit for what he achieved here in such a extremely toxic situation.

i doubt RM or anyone else could have done better under the same circumstances.

i just wonder what Mike Davis could have done at IU, had a big part of IU nation not done all they could to hinder him as opposed to helping him.

no coach in college bball history ever got unfairly fought by his own fan base more than MD, and he still achieved better than his successors up til now.

what recruit would want to walk into that hate, and he was effectively a lame duck his entire time here.

still he took IU to the champ game, and would have had a top ten team his last yr had DJ White not gone down, and altered IU at 3 positions while taking out their most valuable player for virtually the entire yr.

people don't really give him credit for what he achieved here in such a extremely toxic situation.

I recall Coverdale. Fife & Co. taking IU to the FF and MD sort of being along for the ride. He said himself at one point something to the effect 'that he had no idea what was going on'.

Can't speak to his final year but don't recall near the level of naked contempt that surrounded Miller his last year+. All moot, along with the near certainty that IU would have brought home that sixth banner if Coverdale hadn't ripped up his ankle a game or two before the final against Maryland.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu

Are you MD's cousin, brother or just his press liaison?

Reactions: hatchetdad
I was at Ball State when RM was there. Very well liked and I remember signing a petition asking him to stay but he went to Utah and we understood why

Reactions: DANC
First off, not sure how or why Knight and RM would have a talk. Knight was fired by 2001 and wanted nothing to do with IU back then.

Rick would've done extremely well here and the brand of basketball he taught woul've been very appealing to IU fans. I remember his Utah teams from the late 90;s and how much I liked watching how they played. He was one of a few experienced coaches I wanted IU to go after and it never happened.
wow you took this extremely serious

Reactions: Lucy01

Great post. Agree completely. He was set up to fail from the very beginning. And he’s been by far our most accomplished coach since Knight. If he had received the cult following Crean and Archie did things might have been much different.

Great post. Agree completely. He was set up to fail from the very beginning. And he’s been by far our most accomplished coach since Knight. If he had received the cult following Crean and Archie did things might have been much different.

I didn't think it was possible that you could have posts more full of BS than you have had in the past but Kudos, you have outdid yourself.

Reactions: Lucy01
He’s not totally wrong. Davis wasn’t the right guy, but this fan base was honestly pretty awful to him for most of his tenure.

I shouldn't ask but just how was the fan base "pretty awful" to him?

Was it after he talked about wanting a pro job during the tourney (FF?) or after he ran onto the court during the UK game acting like a crazy man or when he holed up in his basement?

He never embraced the IU job or fan base so why would anyone be surprised that they didn't embrace him back?

Was it after he talked about wanting a pro job during the tourney (FF?) or after he ran onto the court during the UK game acting like a crazy man or when he holed up in his basement?

He never embraced the IU job or fan base so why would anyone be surprised that they didn't embrace him back?
You left out the whiny, petulant, finger-pointing after the second round loss to Pitt in ‘03.

It wasn't just about basketball ..

BS, he sent recruiting letters with the wrong names on them, rode out a game in his house.... Nice guy and he did get a raw deal from some of the fan base but he did not have the skill set at that time to succeed and never should have been in that position to begin with.

Last edited:

There was an element of the fan base that didn’t care for the color of his skin, and they let him know it. A poster here has bragged about being a member of an internet site that he claimed existed in furtherance of this “theme”. Awful stuff.

Plenty of reasons to not care for MD as a coach (and BK was furious that those guys didn’t resign en masse when he was fired so the program could be crippled), but his skin color never should’ve been one of them. He had little experience in scouting or preparing game plans, and the rigor of taking a team through a season was more than he was ready for at that time. But his skin color was also the reason CB pushed so hard for him to be retained permanently, and the potential backlash threatened if that didn’t happen scarred a bunch of people.

We tripped into a Final Four with him at the helm, but it was far more accidental than the result of planning or skill. And his end was look-away sad.

There was an element of the fan base that didn’t care for the color of his skin, and they let him know it. A poster here has bragged about being a member of an internet site that he claimed existed in furtherance of this “theme”. Awful stuff.

Plenty of reasons to not care for MD as a coach (and BK was furious that those guys didn’t resign en masse when he was fired so the program could be crippled), but his skin color never should’ve been one of them. He had little experience in scouting or preparing game plans, and the rigor of taking a team through a season was more than he was ready for at that time. But his skin color was also the reason CB pushed so hard for him to be retained permanently, and the potential backlash threatened if that didn’t happen scarred a bunch of people.

We tripped into a Final Four with him at the helm, but it was far more accidental than the result of planning or skill. And his end was look-away sad.

I have NO DOUBT that some did not like IU having a black coach but I personally never heard any of that talk from fans that I interact with. Maybe I live an isolated life! 😁 In my conversations, it was all about bball but any talk about anything but bball was, as you stated, AWFUL stuff.

I could not agree more with the rest of your post.

Cult following.🤦🏻

I have NO DOUBT that some did not like IU having a black coach but I personally never heard any of that talk from fans that I interact with. Maybe I live an isolated life! 😁 In my conversations, it was all about bball but any talk about anything but bball was, as you stated, AWFUL stuff.

I never heard any of it at games or among my associates but it happened and there was a web site called HoopLoop or similar that was racist and anti-Brand in nature. Appeared to be non-grad Knight-O-Philes angry with the University and hating on a black man. If you recall "Ducati" (now Twindegrees on GBI) and our own Ubertroll (under one his many former names) were members.

Way too big of a stage for him and he wasn't ready. He's admitted that. Still says he loved his time here despite all of the things that went on.

Good guy thrust into a bad spot by an administration that was hell bent on making the program less powerful.

I think much of the prejudice was subtle, though it was likely exacerbated (at least somewhat) by the strong push from CB, which many of us viewed as an ultimatum. Nonetheless, there were more than a few who simply couldnt get past MD’s skin color, and they should never be considered as friends or benefactors (in any way) of IU. One prominent poster in this thread has made it clear he was a part of it, and his intimate knowledge of it is confirmation of that fact. This same person was evicted from a rival’s site for similar, bigoted behavior. Disgusting.

BS, he sent recruiting letters with the wrong names on them, rode out a game in his house.... Nice guy and he did get a raw deal from some of the fan base but he did not have the skill set at that time to succeed and never should have been in that position to begin with.
If the head coach is responsible for packing and mailing letters then that’s much more of a problem than sending to the wrong kid. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

If the head coach is responsible for packing and mailing letters then that’s much more of a problem than sending to the wrong kid. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?
So you're saying that the head coach isn't responsible for everything that happens within his/her program?

I find that ridiculous.

So you're saying that the head coach isn't responsible for everything that happens within his/her program?

I find that ridiculous.
If it’s a pattern then yes. If it’s an isolated issue (like it was), then a GA just put the wrong label on an envelope. And that alone had absolutely nothing to do with his failure as a coach.

If it’s a pattern then yes. If it’s an isolated issue (like it was), then a GA just put the wrong label on an envelope. And that alone had absolutely nothing to do with his failure as a coach.
I think the point being made was that there was a pattern, of which the wrong names was a part.

I will never blame Davis for going crazy at that UK game. For one thing, it showed he wanted to beat UK as much as we did. For another, we were getting jobbed, as usual, in Freedom Hall.

I turned anti-Davis when he didn't show up for the Iowa game. It was then I knew he couldn't handle the pressure of an IU job. That and in his next-to-last year, he put subs in against OSU in the B1G tournament and they pulled out a tremendous win. He swore after that game that he would go with the players who performed and he came right back with the same starting lineup the next game and got his ass kicked. He learned nothing from the previous game.

I like Davis and am glad he's had a long coaching career. Despite how badly he may have been treated at IU, it boosted his career from zero to hero in the FF. And financially, he's set for life, or should be.

But if hear Bracey Wright's name one more time...... Or 'help is on the way'.......

I find that ridiculous.
Do you really think Davis was stuffing and addressing those envelopes? It was huge snafu, but it Was very likely the fault of an administrative person. To his credit, I don’t believe blame was ever cast on anyone else.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT