ADVERTISEMENT

Leroy Keyes Died

Crossblock

Junior
Jan 8, 2019
Former Star Purdue Running Back LeRoy Keyes has died. Played on the 1966 Rose Bowl Team, and of course Played for Purdue against IU in the pivotal final game of the 1966 Season that led to IU's Rose Bowl Appearance. Great College Player with great Statistics in that Era and was a 2 Way player.
Also had several year Career with the Eagles.
Well connected to Purdue and worked for a number of years for John Purdue Club. Everybody who knew Him seems to have had nothing but positive things to say about Him.
Condolences to his family. friends, and the Purdue Athletic Family.

Little before my time, but my dad saw him play at PU. Definitely an All-Time great from all I’ve heard.

A GREAT player on BOTH sides of the ball... one of the last of the two-way players. ... sorry to hear.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Former Star Purdue Running Back LeRoy Keyes has died. Played on the 1966 Rose Bowl Team, and of course Played for Purdue against IU in the pivotal final game of the 1966 Season that led to IU's Rose Bowl Appearance. Great College Player with great Statistics in that Era and was a 2 Way player.
Well connected to Purdue and worked for a number of years for John Purdue Club. Everybody who knew Him seems to have had nothing but positive things to say about Him.

My kid went to Purdue to be an engineer. Anyway, we were at a Purdue Alum outing at IU (he was gettng a scholarship), and I got to talk to Leroy Keyes some. I told him I was an IU alum & fan, but he was cool about it. Anyway, he was a really good guy and very laid back. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

A GREAT player on BOTH sides of the ball... one of the last of the two-way players. ... sorry to hear.
There was a guy called Rod Woodson who has something to say about that. :) But no, I agree. My old man had a cassette tape of an IU vs PU football game where Rod Woodson played about 7 straight plays and each snap he was at different positions. From defense, to special teams, to multiple positions on offense. I don't know if there are just more readily available athletes compared to the past or what but you definitely don't see that anymore.

There was a guy called Rod Woodson who has something to say about that. :) But no, I agree. My old man had a cassette tape of an IU vs PU football game where Rod Woodson played about 7 straight plays and each snap he was at different positions. From defense, to special teams, to multiple positions on offense. I don't know if there are just more readily available athletes compared to the past or what but you definitely don't see that anymore.
Woodson played both ways his last game against IU. Other than that, he was strictly on offense and special teams.

Keyes actually played DB in their Rose Bowl season, I believe. Woodson was a tremendous athlete, but Keyes was a true iron man.

One of those players that I loved to hate and hated that I loved . . . Rest in peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT