ADVERTISEMENT

Legislation

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
In a thread last night someone asked what legislation they wanted from Dems. Here is a quick list of my choices.

1) $2000. OK, it isn't my choice to send everyone $2000, I think there should be tighter controls. But it is the fastest and most popular solution.
2) Infrastructure. Interest rates are near 0, we can borrow to fix bridges/roadways/dams far cheaper today than in another couple of years. DO IT.
3) Tackle the ACA question, make adjustments rendering any Supreme Court ruling moot. Even if that means just adding a "this is severable" sentence.
4) Some money to the states and locals. Not as much as the D's wanted by any means as we will need to spend on the infrastructure. I am happy with whatever moderate Manchin would vote for.
5) Allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices.
6) Dreamers, get a move on to citizenship. Polls show most Americans support this,

In a thread last night someone asked what legislation they wanted from Dems. Here is a quick list of my choices.

1) $2000. OK, it isn't my choice to send everyone $2000, I think there should be tighter controls. But it is the fastest and most popular solution.
2) Infrastructure. Interest rates are near 0, we can borrow to fix bridges/roadways/dams far cheaper today than in another couple of years. DO IT.
3) Tackle the ACA question, make adjustments rendering any Supreme Court ruling moot. Even if that means just adding a "this is severable" sentence.
4) Some money to the states and locals. Not as much as the D's wanted by any means as we will need to spend on the infrastructure. I am happy with whatever moderate Manchin would vote for.
6) Dreamers, get a move on to citizenship. Polls show most Americans support this,

How about a Watergate style executive office reform package? Fill in all the holes where only norms stood between our democracy and a willing autocrat.

I have no problem with most of this.

What cannot happen is peeling back the Trump cuts with respect to corporate taxes or adding massive stifling regulations.

amen and awomen

The Ds need to change the Senate rules to allow votes with a simple majority, then:

1. Pass sweeping infrastructure legislation (probably most important for the economy)

2. Pass sensible green laws

3. Fix the tax laws that were rigged to hurt lower income types (could be done immediately)

4. Fix Obamacare

5. Create two new states

6. Stack the SC

7. Pass sensible gun laws too.

I agree on immigration reform too.

Reactions: cosmickid
I have no problem with most of this.

What cannot happen is peeling back the Trump cuts with respect to corporate taxes or adding massive stifling regulations.

amen and awomen
Just be aware: the Trump "tax cuts" contained "built in automatic, stepped tax increases every two years that begin in 2021 and that by 2027 would affect nearly everyone but people at the top of the economic hierarchy. All taxpayer income groups with incomes of $75,000 and under — that’s about 65 percent of taxpayers — will face a higher tax rate in 2027 than in 2019."

It won't be enough to protect just the freeloading corporations.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.....

McHoop

Reactions: Cortez88
1) Try to fix checks and balances so another Trump can't try to ruin our democracy

2) Fix environmental protections

3) Take everyone's guns away...just kidding. Make it so every gun has to be registered and all gun sales tracked (even at gun shows and what not). If people have no issue putting obstacles in front of getting an abortion, then they shouldn't have issue with safer gun laws. Pro life is pro life after all so gun safety should matter just as much.

4) Fix healthcare so everyone has affordable healthcare and not tied to employer.

Disclaimer for idiots: This is stuff I would like to see done. It does not mean I expect it to get accomplished.

Last edited:
Just be aware: the Trump "tax cuts" contained "built in automatic, stepped tax increases every two years that begin in 2021 and that by 2027 would affect nearly everyone but people at the top of the economic hierarchy. All taxpayer income groups with incomes of $75,000 and under — that’s about 65 percent of taxpayers — will face a higher tax rate in 2027 than in 2019."

It won't be enough to protect just the freeloading corporations.
Freeloading corporations? How is this responsive to what I said?

I said nothing about individual taxes. I hope his tax plan is fully repealed except for the corporate cuts. I pay more under his plan than I did before.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
1) Try to fix checks and balances so another Trump can't try to ruin our democracy

2) Fix environmental protections

3) Take everyone's guns away...just kidding. Make it so every gun has to be registered and all gun sales tracked (even at gun shows and what not). If people have no issue putting obstacles in front of getting an abortion, then they shouldn't have issue with safer gun laws. Pro life is pro life after all so gun safety should matter just as much.

4) Fix healthcare so everyone has affordable healthcare and not tied to employer.
So in other words, establish world peace. You’re an unserious and/or extremely naive chap. You should probably try to learn a thing or two from some of the bright people on here - rather than attack everybody and stutter the word Trump every post.

Or just piss off. One or the other.

I said nothing about individual taxes. I hope his tax plan is fully repealed except for the corporate cuts. I pay more under his plan than I did before.

Personally I have no problems to the corporate tax cuts except when it was discussed here long before it happened, most people who favored corporate tax cuts mentioned closing loopholes. So that should be looked into.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

Partisan fools only see what they want to see

Personally I have no problems to the corporate tax cuts except when it was discussed here long before it happened, most people who favored corporate tax cuts mentioned closing loopholes. So that should be looked into.

Yes on both counts. Keep or even lower the stated rate, close loopholes, reduce decutions/credits.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
So in other words, establish world peace. You’re an unserious and/or extremely naive chap. You should probably try to learn a thing or two from some of the bright people on here - rather than attack everybody and stutter the word Trump every post.

In the spirit of this thread, let me just clarify what you’re saying. So you are proposing legislation to dehumanize IUHickory? Did I get that right?

Or you could piss off. No one asked for your shit opinion.

There is nothing in my post that is unattainable and it was just stating what I was hoping to see fixed. Didn't say anywhere in my post that i expected to see it all accomplished. Maybe you should check your reading comprehension or go back to grade school and become better educated.

Last edited:
CNBC: "One divided nation- Senate 50-50 (51D v 50R in reality) and a 222-212 House, zero mandate here."
Zero mandate and contentious Congressional battles ahead

Or you could piss off. No one asked for your shit opinion.

There is nothing in my post that is unattainable and it was just stating what I was hoping to see fixed. Didn't say anywhere in my post that i expected to see it all accomplished. Maybe you should check your reading comprehension or go back to grade school and become better educated.
I hereby dub thee “VanPastorMan of the Left.” Wear it with shame, youngling.

Reactions: Spartans9312

i'm okay with much of that too marv. this is a tricky time. when the repubs pushed through barrett at the 11th hour i was okay. the winner's the winner. and i still feel that way now with the dems winning; but this win isn't much of a mandate. it was a close presidential election (electoral college about 45,000 votes put biden over the top); repubs put more seats in the house to make the house close and now the senate is 50/50. we are a very evenly split country. in keeping with that i hope we see legislation that's congruent with same

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT