ADVERTISEMENT

Leary on how Knight handled 106-56 loss to Minnesota

Might be misremembering this, but wasn't that the 2nd to last or last game of the season and Knight didn't play the starters too much because he wanted to rest them for the NCAA tournament?

Might be misremembering this, but wasn't that the 2nd to last or last game of the season and Knight didn't play the starters too much because he wanted to rest them for the NCAA tournament?
You're remembering incorrectly. It was late February but there were more than a couple of games left and he definitely wasn't resting starters for the NCAAT. He was trying to win the B1G. A few of the starters didn't play in the second half but at that point they were already out of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JIMSHAM
Misremembering - that game was in February and they had several games left. They were still playing to win the Big Ten.

Interesting, but Archie is not Bob Knight and that loss was not a perfect storm. There are real concerns to address from that film.

Its December. The starting PG has played. We are starting 3 new player, and the team hadn't had a road game yet. I don't really see how a December game for this team, after a blowout win of a top 20 team, is such a big deal. No team has ever come out flat after a big win before? 8-1 with one really good win and a conference road loss that will go down as a 15 point loss to a likely quad 2 team that played their best game of the season when we played, by far, our worst...at least so far. Get over it...

Interesting, but Archie is not Bob Knight and that loss was not a perfect storm. There are real concerns to address from that film.

Its December. The starting PG has played. We are starting 3 new player, and the team hadn't had a road game yet. I don't really see how a December game for this team, after a blowout win of a top 20 team, is such a big deal. No team has ever come out flat after a big win before? 8-1 with one really good win and a conference road loss that will go down as a 15 point loss to a likely quad 2 team that played their best game of the season when we played, by far, our worst...at least so far. Get over it...
The result is not what I’m caught up on. We can justify that loss. It’s the fact that our lack of effort did not give us a chance to win the game. This type of mental attitude gets exposed in March. That is if they get to March.

Reactions: Fus
useless trivia...I vaguely remember Pat Knight being our "CBS player of the game"...with Bailey, Henderson, Evans, Pat Graham on that team....this was one of the ugliest IU games I've ever watched.

useless trivia...I vaguely remember Pat Knight being our "CBS player of the game"...with Bailey, Henderson, Evans, Pat Graham on that team....this was one of the ugliest IU games I've ever watched.

I remember that Ross Hales was on the team because of numerous injuries. Now, don't ask me to recall who was injured.

One of the best passers to ever suit up for the Hoosiers according to the coach at the time...

Knight stated the reasoning on his show or maybe an interview that week ..also something like few will understand it or something like that. He was a bit pissy IIRC.

He wasn't sending a message ..

We were still in the big ten race and had multiple players playing with injuries. We played very poorly to start that game and got down 20+. He decided it was better to rest the starters for Illinois coming up, than having a hobbled team try and make up that deficit and risk further injury and have no chance in the next game. We won the next game btw.

The Illinois game with Alford, which we almost won. That, was a message.

Reactions: MonroeCity
Did you watch the game? I did, the starters played like we did at Wisc, we were out of it from early on. They sat because they played awful.
I was at the game four rows up. We has a game two days later also so he benched them and Haskins played his starters to the bitter end verses our scrubs. So yes I watched the game. It was also a very good Minn team.

Knight stated the reasoning on his show or maybe an interview that week ..also something like few will understand it or something like that. He was a bit pissy IIRC.

We were still in the big ten race and had multiple players playing with injuries. We played very poorly to start that game and got down 20+. He decided it was better to rest the starters for Illinois coming up, than having a hobbled team try and make up that deficit and risk further injury and have no chance in the next game. We won the next game btw.

Yep it was big Monday vs illinois in two days. I remember it clear as day.

Years later I read a comment by him that he learned from his mentors. Something like Don't be afraid to lose.

I remember how sheepish the announcers were in announcing the player of the game. What I won't forget is how Haskins kept his starters in. Not quite sure, but I believe they were still pressing very late in the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT