ADVERTISEMENT

Leaders of political parties

The Ohio Attorney General is suggesting that Ohio State sue the Big Ten for 10’s of millions in losses over no fall football. I personally hope they do, however I know they won’t. This is strictly political and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise.

Reactions: indy1203 and DANC
I don't think an IU "yes" is surprising. Saying we want to play is perfect. I doubt we play so the vote is symbolic and positive for the fans. I think the team does want to play because they think they'll be good and want to continue monument from last year. No down side to say "yes" from my view regardless of play. Thoughts? Go Hoosiers!
Presidents and chancellors representing the league’s 14 institutions are planning to convene within the next week, possibly as early as this weekend, to vote on the next steps for a return to competition, reports The Chicago Tribune’s Teddy Greenstein.

If you believe the rumors, it’s going to come down to Purdue and Rutgers flipping and they apparently are trending that way. Michigan, MSU, Illinois, NW, and Maryland are hard no’s. If Purdue and Rutgers flip, it’s 9/14 which gives us the 60% needed to start the season. We shall see. Late October start.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If you believe the rumors, it’s going to come down to Purdue and Rutgers flipping and they apparently are trending that way. Michigan, MSU, Illinois, NW, and Maryland are hard no’s. If Purdue and Rutgers flip, it’s 9/14 which gives us the 60% needed to start the season. We shall see. Late October start.

how beyond crazy would it be if UMd and Rutgers voted things down.

that said, if the league does decide to play, i don't get waiting a long time.

a late Oct start would just be jerking our chain, and everybody would just be putting off the decision till mid/late Oct.

You can damn well bet MSU doesn't want to play this year anyway.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Don't get the 60 percent/9 yes votes needed. What's wrong with 8? Let those schools who vote to play, play. Can always play a few schools twice.

Are IU and Minny definitely a yes? Hope so. Seems Mitch would be a yes this time around for PU. UM Prez won't budge. MSU should raise a middle finger and vote to play. Guess we will see.

Supposedly the 60% is a bylaw to overturn the previous vote. No idea if they’d let the 8 play. I would think if they shared the TV money with everyone it’d be a go.

Here's a new development as reported by ESPN this evening. The gist of the piece is that the B1G's medical subcommittee will make a presentation tomorrow to some of the B1G presidents and chancellors about new daily Covid testing procedures that recently became available. Whether this leads to games by the end of October remains to be seen, but at least people are talking. 🤞

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...present-options-possible-return-football-fall

Shutdown hawks like Murphy and Pritzker are such political animals they are totally content on ruining their own state's economies, which weren't great even pre-Covid. High tax/high regulatory restrictions on small business and likely another tax increase on businesses in Illinois are coming. Doubtful they give a crap whether college football returns in their states. Michigan guv not much better.

Meanwhile, Pritzker, from the richest family in Illinois, often spends his weekends in a less restrictive state, Wisconsin. Classic "do as I say, not as I do" politician. Us commoners can't assemble (unless it's a protest or riot, those are fine), can't run their small businesses, etc. For those who missed this Pritzker gem, he once had the toilets removed from "one"of his Gold Coast mansions, to get it categorized uninhabitable, thus lowering his taxes substantially.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Iowa is the first state to start doing Covid antigen testing. Started 8/27. The article states you are going to get more positives but the testing is not quite as accurate as before. Also with this testing one county would go from 6.6% to 11.6% positive rate. Iowa 7 day average of deaths is around 7 a day I believe as of 9/11. That's pretty good.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Im actually looking very forward to the SEC this year. Lots of good games. Got to enjoy something.

SEC is planning to play, but haven't yet.

Big Ten reboot is good, but SEC has been the one conference patient and likely leading the race.

SEC is planning to play, but haven't yet.

Big Ten reboot is good, but SEC has been the one conference patient and likely leading the race.
And then there's UNC cancelling a game because the opponent - UNC Charlotte - can't field a team due to COVID: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article245800850.html. This cancellation comes on the heels (bad pun, unintended) of North Carolina State/Virginia Tech being cancelled because NCS couldn't field a team, and then VA Tech/Virginia being cancelled because VA Tech couldn't field a team. (What?)

This season seems like it's going to be less about high quality football and more about in-season roster management. Besides the cancellation of games, there will be some players who won't be able to suit up because of COVID testing, plus there are others who have already decided to sit out the season because of COVID.

Maybe this is what it takes for IU to break through . . . .

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Baylor and Houston cancelled their game and not one person is Covid positive. A position group was exposed to COVID and has to quarantine.

The rapid tests are going to be a sports game changer. I’m sure we’ll have to fight through false positives but the B1G should be able to field teams.

SEC opens next week.

Will Indiana open at Wisconsin like originally scheduled, then close 8 game slate with Purdue?

Six East teams in between❓

I doubt anybody will end with a cross divisional game. The conference doesn’t want back to back identical games I imagine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT