ADVERTISEMENT

Leaders of political parties

Of most Big Ten states have sent letters to Warren and the Presidents of the thirteen state universities requesting that fall sports be reinstated. The heat is being turned up.
Interesting fight . . . states with constituent universities vs. a multi-state, regional/national organization that provides those constituent universities a platform for exposure and money.

If I were the BiG, I'd tell the political leaders to run on platforms calling for the states to publicly fund their own damned sports and education programs, and take the risks associated with them . . . and to get off my lawn.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Interesting fight . . . states with constituent universities vs. a multi-state, regional/national organization that provides those constituent universities a platform for exposure and money.

If I were the BiG, I'd tell the political leaders to run on platforms calling for the states to publicly fund their own damned sports and education programs, and take the risks associated with them . . . and to get off my lawn.

Brilliant. Warren and Presidents give finger to state legislators who have the power of the purse and control the trustees who hire Presidents. That will really work well.

Brilliant. Warren and Presidents give finger to state legislators who have the power of the purse and control the trustees who hire Presidents. That will really work well.
Might as well have that showdown now . . . seems to me that the BiG - primarily as a funding source - has developed a good bit of leverage vis-a-vis the state legislatures despite your well-taken argument.

. . . BTW, do the legislators or the governors control the trustees in the BiG states? Here in the dirty souf, Georgia's governor appoints the Board of Regents for the university system.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Might as well have that showdown now . . . seems to me that the BiG - primarily as a funding source - has developed a good bit of leverage vis-a-vis the state legislatures despite your well-taken argument.

. . . BTW, do the legislators or the governors control the trustees in the BiG states? Here in the dirty souf, Georgia's governor appoints the Board of Regents for the university system.
Here in Indiana it is also the Gov. who appoints. Works out very nicely in fact if you happen to be a former Governor who would like a lucrative gig to become President of one of those universities upon leaving the statehouse.

Here in Indiana it is also the Gov. who appoints. Works out very nicely in fact if you happen to be a former Governor who would like a lucrative gig to become President of one of those universities upon leaving the statehouse.
Hmmmm . . . sounds suspiciously familiar . . . but I can't quite place who it might be . . . .

Of most Big Ten states have sent letters to Warren and the Presidents of the thirteen state universities requesting that fall sports be reinstated. The heat is being turned up.
Iowa is the country's Covid hot spot right now. That's not going to help the cause. Neither is the fact that two of the B1G's presidents are physicians (Harvard and Johns Hopkins educated).

The post I read on another forum said they were GOP leaders from Michigan Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania & Wisconsin...I didn't see the letter so I don't know. Was there any pol from Indiana?

To Bowl's delight, I think this will go nowhere. According to a Michigan Blog, Michigan's President, MD, Princeton and JHs alum, and staunch anti-Trumper, has threatened that Michigan will sit out if the BT starts in October. It also said he has paid no visits to the Michigan football practices to see how they attempting to deal with COVID.

Mark Patrick also says the votes aren't there. He mentioned UM, MSU, ILL, NW, MD, and RU as being opposed.

Is it that far fetched to think the Big 10 could implode? I see no way Nebraska or Ohio State want to continue this current league. If the SEC took Missouri why would t they take the cash cow that is Ohio State. Isn’t conference realignment open in 2022 again?

Is it that far fetched to think the Big 10 could implode? I see no way Nebraska or Ohio State want to continue this current league. If the SEC took Missouri why would t they take the cash cow that is Ohio State. Isn’t conference realignment open in 2022 again?
Yes, it's far-fetched.

Given the current Big Ten divisional alignment, there's no way OSU leaves the Big Ten East. Or says goodbye to BTN money. Or moves to a conference where they can't bring a boatload of fans to road games. Or where they have to play teams like Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and/or LSU every year.

Nebraska? Who cares.

To Bowl's delight,
So, despite bleeding cream and crimson, and dropping serious coin in watching IU play in person not just in Bloomington but all around the country, from Tempe to Jacksonville, I'll be enjoying fall Saturdays without IU football?

It wouldn't be right for me to resort to name-calling in responding to your ridiculous comment but, if I were to do so, one word that comes to mind begins with "douche" and ends with "bag."

Ohio State is a massive reason why we have Big 10 money. They could easily start their own network like Texas and make even more. They have way more power than any of us would like to admit.

The Pac-12 isn't playing football either, but "the pols" don't seem to care much about that. No mystery there, of course.
I honestly haven’t watched a PAC 10 game outside of a bowl for years. (When Oregon was good) They all start too late and just haven’t been that interesting.

The BIG sits idly by while the rest of college football plays. Without IU playing I have very little interest in watching college football this year.

Im actually looking very forward to the SEC this year. Lots of good games. Got to enjoy something.

So, despite bleeding cream and crimson, and dropping serious coin in watching IU play in person not just in Bloomington but all around the country, from Tempe to Jacksonville, I'll be enjoying fall Saturdays without IU football?

It wouldn't be right for me to resort to name-calling in responding to your ridiculous comment but, if I were to do so, one word that comes to mind begins with "douche" and ends with "bag."

You were quick to point out that Michigan's President was an MD, and thus would logically vote against play. There are plenty of MDs who believe the season could be safely played. Otherwise, I doubt they would be playing HS ball in Michigan starting 9/18.

The Pac-12 isn't playing football either, but "the pols" don't seem to care much about that. No mystery there, of course.

No one ever expected the PAC 12 to play early on with the political climate that exists in California, Washington & Oregon. There was nothing to discuss or debate.

Im actually looking very forward to the SEC this year. Lots of good games. Got to enjoy something.

I saw elsewhere that UL will be playing with 30% capacity.....meanwhile, the BT can't play on 10/10 with no fans.

What do the IU President and AD think about all this? Who knows?

IU is supposedly one of the 8 who want to play right now. Pursue, surprisingly to me, are a no. Along with the Michigan’s, the Illinois teams, Rutgers and Maryland.

IU is supposedly one of the 8 who want to play right now. Pursue, surprisingly to me, are a no. Along with the Michigan’s, the Illinois teams, Rutgers and Maryland.

Mark Patrick says the No votes are ILL, NW, MSU, UM, RU & MD. IF that's accurate (a bif if), they may be one vote short. I've read that 9 votes are necessary.

Where did you see/hear that Purdue is now a no?

Michigan is one of those probably never going to be elite programs again. The 2 hires they made were atrocious. That really set them back. And they can’t recruit with the Bama’s, OSU’s, Clemsons, etc. currently. What they are is about what they are. 8-4, 9-3.

10-14 against top-25 and 2-11 against top-10 opponents.

I'm not all that surprised.

The story is that not only is the Michigan President a "no" vote......he refuses to even talk to the Michigan AD or Harbaugh about it.

Harbaugh now has his excuse to get out of town asap. As you say, they may not miss him. But Michigan may never regain top 10 football status.

So much hyperbole in this thread. The B1G is the most valuable brand in college athletics. There's a reason it's called the Big Ten no matter how many teams there are in the league. We are the gold standard. Ohio State isn't going anywhere.

Believe it or not, university presidents don't need to talk to their football coaches about issues of epidemiology. It breaks my heart that we are not playing this year, but it is what it is at this point. The B1G will be at zero disadvantage for not playing by next season, IMO. Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving over this...Ohio State isn't leaving over this...the sky is not falling.

It’s bad for the Big 10...I don’t see how it could be perceived as positive or even neutral. Ohio State has a real National Title shot. That would’ve been huge for the Big 10 brand.

So much hyperbole in this thread. The B1G is the most valuable brand in college athletics. There's a reason it's called the Big Ten no matter how many teams there are in the league. We are the gold standard. Ohio State isn't going anywhere.

Believe it or not, university presidents don't need to talk to their football coaches about issues of epidemiology. It breaks my heart that we are not playing this year, but it is what it is at this point. The B1G will be at zero disadvantage for not playing by next season, IMO. Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving over this...Ohio State isn't leaving over this...the sky is not falling.

No, they don't legally have to talk to their ADs and football coaches....however, it be the responsible approach to so so if you are trying to decide whether it is in fact safe to play the season, especially in light of the fact that other conferences are not coming to the same conclusion as you facing very similar circumstances. And in light of the fact that fricking HSs are playing football now.

Likewise, they don't legally have to talk to the presidents and ADs of other conferences and try to coordinate your decision-making, but that's what you do if you don't want to be thought of as arrogant, clueless pricks. The credibility of the decision-makers in this conference has taken a huge hit among their own alum and fans, and the national press corps.

I agree OSU isn't leaving over this; I could see Harbaugh hitting the road, depending on how things go. As far as the hit the BT will take, it could be big if the ACC & SEC end up playng in a NC game when the BT is cancelling the season, or just beginning one.

Who controls whom may be the key.

Saw this yesterday but at this point who knows what to believe. But if even remotely true, let’s play some football for gosh sake! Clearly a right leaning site, but what isn’t leaning one way or the other these days. Nobody reports the news.

My kids have been in school since the 13th. No huge spikes and everything seems to be going smoothly, knock on wood. Our county actually went down in the state metrics for this week so the notion everything would explode in 2 weeks after school started wasn’t true. It’s pretty much exactly as it was pre school.

My kids have been in school since the 13th. No huge spikes and everything seems to be going smoothly, knock on wood. Our county actually went down in the state metrics for this week so the notion everything would explode in 2 weeks after school started wasn’t true. It’s pretty much exactly as it was pre school.
Yeah, and we should base policy for the entire country and all universities and colleges based on your single anecdotal experience.

dws

Everyone predicted schools would be a cluster. It hasn’t been. And we’re in a 4A/5A district. So we’re not talking some district with 100 kids. CLEARLY something has changed with the coronavirus. It’s either mutated into a much less deadly strain OR nursing home deaths were so massive in the beginning, which looking back they were, it created a false fear of severity of Covid in the US. I think it’s a little bit of both. Frankly it’s silly how we’re treating Big 10 football. We’re going to church, school, Walmart, summer baseball leagues, etc and here in the Midwest we’re not dragging people out in body bags like NYC and Italy did.

Last edited:
Interesting.......he cites "strong advice from team doctors and other medical experts"........I wonder how much emphasis was placed on the 'strong advice' of the discredited PSU team doctor?

It surprises me that Mitch is a "no" vote....it shocks me that IU is a "yes" vote.
I don't think an IU "yes" is surprising. Saying we want to play is perfect. I doubt we play so the vote is symbolic and positive for the fans. I think the team does want to play because they think they'll be good and want to continue monument from last year. No down side to say "yes" from my view regardless of play. Thoughts? Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT