ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers say the darndest things

I guess the game is, democrats cheat and republicans try to make it harder to offset the cheating.

It’s not hard to have a reasonable nationwide law to either vote in person Election Day with a valid ID or request an absentee ballot with no reason needed with valid ID and mail completed ballot back in with valid ID bef

When it comes to cheating, in 2018 a congressional race in North Carolina was beset with voter fraud perpetrated by which party? Election re-run in North Carolina after voter fraud inquiry - BBC News

In Indiana, the county election commissions have to agree on early voting. The commissions are 2 from the county's majority party and one from the minority party. In 2016 and 18, Hamilton County had a ton of early voting sites and hours. The Democrat didn't want to play the game and correctly voted to make it easy for Republicans in that county to vote. In Marion county, the lone Republican refused anything but one vote center with limited hours. In 2020 a judge stepped in and required Marion County to open up its early voting.

I mean we could require people to complete a triathlon followed by scoring 2400 on an SAT in order to vote, but I personally favor just allowing everyone to vote as easily as we securely can.

If you don't recall, Trump complained bitterly about voter fraud after 2016. He brought in had Pence and Kris Kobach chair a commission on voter fraud. Kobach claims to have found 5000+ cases of voter fraud though he never released any details on them, never referred a single one for prosecution. Sounds like something tailgunner-Joe would have said back in the day.

Ohio has repeatedly looked into non-citizens voting, it has found the number to be very low. Ohio is a pretty big state, it isn't like Iowa saying the number is low. Non-citizens are voting illegally in Ohio, but the number is tiny - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

When it comes to cheating, in 2018 a congressional race in North Carolina was beset with voter fraud perpetrated by which party? Election re-run in North Carolina after voter fraud inquiry - BBC News

In Indiana, the county election commissions have to agree on early voting. The commissions are 2 from the county's majority party and one from the minority party. In 2016 and 18, Hamilton County had a ton of early voting sites and hours. The Democrat didn't want to play the game and correctly voted to make it easy for Republicans in that county to vote. In Marion county, the lone Republican refused anything but one vote center with limited hours. In 2020 a judge stepped in and required Marion County to open up its early voting.

I mean we could require people to complete a triathlon followed by scoring 2400 on an SAT in order to vote, but I personally favor just allowing everyone to vote as easily as we securely can.

If you don't recall, Trump complained bitterly about voter fraud after 2016. He brought in had Pence and Kris Kobach chair a commission on voter fraud. Kobach claims to have found 5000+ cases of voter fraud though he never released any details on them, never referred a single one for prosecution. Sounds like something tailgunner-Joe would have said back in the day.

Ohio has repeatedly looked into non-citizens voting, it has found the number to be very low. Ohio is a pretty big state, it isn't like Iowa saying the number is low. Non-citizens are voting illegally in Ohio, but the number is tiny - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Ohio nor any other state knows how many non citizens are voting.

The US government has all these different reports they want businesses to fill out. They are generally annual but sometimes monthly and quarterly. Businesses have no time to complete this stuff. I’ve called Census many times regarding the reports for extensions. They say estimate and file report. If our government uses these reports for any financial decisions they are absolutely wasting their time.

My point is the government state or federal are incapable of getting accurate numbers.

If non citizens voting isn’t a problem it shouldn’t be a problem for everyone to vote with a valid ID. I understand that’s asking way to much.

The democrats in Philly and other inner cities will keep finding ways to lock doors and keep republicans from watching. Don’t waste your time telling me it doesn’t happen because I have an attorney client that watched first hand working for McCain in 2008. 2-3 months before the last election he told me exactly what was going to happen.

No one knows anything except for stoll's attorney client.

That settles it. lmao

Ohio nor any other state knows how many non citizens are voting.

The US government has all these different reports they want businesses to fill out. They are generally annual but sometimes monthly and quarterly. Businesses have no time to complete this stuff. I’ve called Census many times regarding the reports for extensions. They say estimate and file report. If our government uses these reports for any financial decisions they are absolutely wasting their time.

My point is the government state or federal are incapable of getting accurate numbers.

If non citizens voting isn’t a problem it shouldn’t be a problem for everyone to vote with a valid ID. I understand that’s asking way to much.

The democrats in Philly and other inner cities will keep finding ways to lock doors and keep republicans from watching. Don’t waste your time telling me it doesn’t happen because I have an attorney client that watched first hand working for McCain in 2008. 2-3 months before the last election he told me exactly what was going to happen.

In 2020, Biden lost the cities by less than Clinton did in 2016. But he ran FAR better in affluent suburbs than Clinton did. So the GOP blames Blacks in big cities for voter fraud and works to crack down on Black voting. And no one in the party sees anything at all wrong with it.

Tell me, how much evidence is there that Souls to the Polls results in fraud?

I have worked a lot of elections, all the elections I have worked for have required a D and an R present. Are you saying that in cities there are no R's present?

How about all those small, rural, White counties that voted 95% for Trump?

In 2020, Biden lost the cities by less than Clinton did in 2016. But he ran FAR better in affluent suburbs than Clinton did. So the GOP blames Blacks in big cities for voter fraud and works to crack down on Black voting. And no one in the party sees anything at all wrong with it.

I have worked a lot of elections, all the elections I have worked for have required a D and an R present. Are you saying that in cities there are no R's present?

Scott just fired Archie so all is right in the world.

No reason both parties can’t get things right on voting. Every citizen has the right to vote.

There wasn't any fraud found in Georgia that I'm aware of.
I think H.R. 1 has some decent things in it but it's overrun with idiocy as well.
If Manchin and Synema want to have a serious convo on the matter they need to ask the House to send them a slimmed down version.

Scott just fired Archie so all is right in the world.

No reason both parties can’t get things right on voting. Every citizen has the right to vote.

I am surprised, given the poor economics of the athletic department. Not upset, just surprised.

I still don't get what went wrong. I recall RMK's speech in Bloomington when he was asked about the hiring of Miller and Knight said he would be a great coach for IU.

I think there is something about these tough-minded defensive coaches. I recall in football when Buddy Ryan briefly was a head coach that I said his goal was to win a game 2-0. I think that was Miller's problem. And as good as the women's team is, best ever at IU, I see that in Moren. When teams pack in a zone and encourage them to shoot, they struggle mightily.

Sampson plays here Friday night, maybe we can bring him back:). His hiring is why I left the free board years ago, far too many people were nonchalant about hiring a cheater.

They say the next coach is hired to address the weakness of the previous coach, so I guess our next coach will be all-offense and no defense.

I am surprised, given the poor economics of the athletic department. Not upset, just surprised.

I still don't get what went wrong. I recall RMK's speech in Bloomington when he was asked about the hiring of Miller and Knight said he would be a great coach for IU.

I think there is something about these tough-minded defensive coaches. I recall in football when Buddy Ryan briefly was a head coach that I said his goal was to win a game 2-0. I think that was Miller's problem. And as good as the women's team is, best ever at IU, I see that in Moren. When teams pack in a zone and encourage them to shoot, they struggle mightily.

Sampson plays here Friday night, maybe we can bring him back:). His hiring is why I left the free board years ago, far too many people were nonchalant about hiring a cheater.

They say the next coach is hired to address the weakness of the previous coach, so I guess our next coach will be all-offense and no defense.

Archie lost the respect of his players. I know some crazy things that happened in practice. They don’t reflect well on Archie.

Given the university’s very tight financial situation in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, private philanthropic funding has been obtained for all transition costs and obligations related to the change in leadership. We worked to secure the necessary private support following my recommendation to President McRobbie, ensuring that there would be no charges to the university budget.
While I will not establish a formal search committee, I will consult within the University and with trusted experts in the state and around the country as I seek out and recruit a new coach. The work to find the next leader of Indiana Basketball will begin immediately, and I will seek a chief executive that I can partner with to reestablish the brand and national presence of Indiana Basketball.”

Per Dolson - yes, the boosters are paying for it. Also, no outside search committee. He's putting his name on the line. I like it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
There wasn't any fraud found in Georgia that I'm aware of.
I think H.R. 1 has some decent things in it but it's overrun with idiocy as well.
If Manchin and Synema want to have a serious convo on the matter they need to ask the House to send them a slimmed down version.

I haven't studied HR1, it wouldn't surprise me to know what you said is true. In some countries, people are fined for not voting. I'm not sure I want that, but I like turnout. I want people to think the system works and their voice is heard. I think much of our current issues come from the feeling that our voice doesn't matter. I would rather see a record turnout elect Haley in 2024 than Harris win in a very low turnout (even though I almost certainly would vote Harris).

It is one of the reasons I dislike the Electoral College. My vote in Indiana does not matter at all. There is no chance in 2024 it will matter. Same for a Republican in California. It discourages turnout in many more states than it helps turnout. There are only 6-10 states ever in play.

I haven't studied HR1, it wouldn't surprise me to know what you said is true. In some countries, people are fined for not voting. I'm not sure I want that, but I like turnout. I want people to think the system works and their voice is heard. I think much of our current issues come from the feeling that our voice doesn't matter. I would rather see a record turnout elect Haley in 2024 than Harris win in a very low turnout (even though I almost certainly would vote Harris).

It is one of the reasons I dislike the Electoral College. My vote in Indiana does not matter at all. There is no chance in 2024 it will matter. Same for a Republican in California. It discourages turnout in many more states than it helps turnout. There are only 6-10 states ever in play.
At the same time, I would've never thought Georgia was in play.
Your vote matters

Per Dolson - yes, the boosters are paying for it. Also, no outside search committee. He's putting his name on the line. I like it.

That money is nice but it isn't in a vacuum. If people give money to buy out this contract it probably will impact their giving elsewhere. I am skeptical people are saying "here's $1 million to buy out the contract plus the million I was already giving". If so, great.

That money is nice but it isn't in a vacuum. If people give money to buy out this contract it probably will impact their giving elsewhere. I am skeptical people are saying "here's $1 million to buy out the contract plus the million I was already giving". If so, great.
Let’s see if something happens to any of the left-handed sports

I know Mark believes it is going to happen. It will be tough not to see the two related even if they aren't.
I can’t speak for iu but I do know at many universities these left handed sports have six figure budgets. That’s a tough pill when you consider buyout amounts etc. but it is what is I guess. I hate to see it but fball and hoops are everything, obviously

I can’t speak for iu but I do know at many universities these left handed sports have six figure budgets. That’s a tough pill when you consider buyout amounts etc. but it is what is I guess. I hate to see it but fball and hoops are everything, obviously

I feel bad for kids in that situation if it happens. They work as hard as the two revenue programs. But money is tight and the beast must be fed.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Memory controls everything we do.
Are you saying memory is the CPU? Are you memory? You are orchestrating everything, right? Are you saying you are biological but not physical? Or both biological and physical? And what’s the difference?

I personally believe memory is a process, not a storage device. When I remember how to ride a bike or my stoker’s birthday, electrical impulses follow established paths of neurons—paths that I’ve used before. As we learn new skills and things, electricity follows new paths. Some recall is automatic, like walking. Other recall requires a starter, like the name of a book you can’t recall.
Explain the significance attached to the electrical signals. The book is a physical thing to a dog. To us it carries significance, meaning, every word can have one or more significances, that is, meanings. Electricity is simply vibrating and moving ions. Where is the significance? Where is the meaning?

Memories are fallible. When we reminisce with our adult children, we all have different memories of the same family events.
MtM used the same type of data to generalize to the same unproved conclusion. That your access of a memory is in error doesn’t mean that your access must be fallible.

Explain the significance attached to the electrical signals. The book is a physical thing to a dog. To us it carries significance, meaning, every word can have one or more significances, that is, meanings. Electricity is simply vibrating and moving ions. Where is the significance? Where is the meaning?

Dogs have memories to, are you saying all creatures have access to some pan-dimensional storage?

Reactions: UncleMark

Electricity is how we take the information from a book to a point where it means anything. The pages and words mean zilch until the brain receives the image from our eyes at which point our brain organizes the random light patterns into recognizable forms, combines them with our memories of letters and words, and then builds new memories wthe new information. Confirmation bias means we tend to categorize that new stuff along well-used neural pathways. All of that, from the time our eyes receive light waves, to the time the brain makes sense of those light waves, is done with electricity. Otherwise, the book might be something to chew on as a dog would see it.

MtM used the same type of data to generalize to the same unproved conclusion. That your access of a memory is in error doesn’t mean that your access must be fallible.
In my opinion, brains must be fallible in the sense that no two people are alike. So there cannot be an objective standard of perfect truth. Maybe when humans become clones of a single being, that might change.

Dogs have memories to, are you saying all creatures have access to some pan-dimensional storage?
Pan-dimensional storage?

Dogs do not attach meaning to symbols the way we do. Dogs appear to be stimulus response, whatever that actually means. We clearly are not. That was debunked back in the 50s.

Pan-dimensional storage?

If our memories are not being stored in our brains and we see nothing in our world that explains where they are being stored (if you discount neurons), what else would you call it? I has to be something outside our dimensional awareness or we would see, smell, taste, hear, touch it.

Dogs do not attach meaning to symbols the way we do. Dogs appear to be stimulus response, whatever that actually means. We clearly are not. That was debunked back in the 50s.

They do not have to attach memory to symbols to have memory. My dog recognizes me therefore it remembers who I am when I return after being away. That memory has to be stored somewhere. If neurons are not the answer for me remembering it, why would they be the answer to it remembering me? It remembers where its food bowl is, the sound of the treat drawer opening. It may be a stimulus-response, but it has to be a memory.

Electricity is how we take the information from a book to a point where it means anything. The pages and words mean zilch until the brain receives the image from our eyes at which point our brain organizes the random light patterns into recognizable forms, combines them with our memories of letters and words, and then builds new memories wthe new information. Confirmation bias means we tend to categorize that new stuff along well-used neural pathways. All of that, from the time our eyes receive light waves, to the time the brain makes sense of those light waves, is done with electricity. Otherwise, the book might be something to chew on as a dog would see it.
If you take a step back and look at what you wrote, you’ll see that you are opening up more questions than providing answers.

Where are you in all this?

Where is this memory build located in the physical universe of the brain?

Where are these neural pathways located? Are they fixed? If not, what happens to that “build” When you build new memories and pathways?

How are all these things indexed?

But the basic question is, which is not answered by you or anyone else in psychology or any other relative relevant science, where in the brain are all these things located when you build new memories and pathways?

If you simply quantify the magnitude of items to be processed or stored or however you want to describe it, the brain does not have the capacity.

Think pixels in a modern cell phone camera. That image coming through light waves into our eyes and being changed into electrical signals, as you described, involves perhaps trillions of pixels. That’s one instant, one image, what about the ongoing video of life?

The numbers don’t add up.

Edited: Sorry for the extraneous stuff from my dictation device.

If our memories are not being stored in our brains and we see nothing in our world that explains where they are being stored (if you discount neurons), what else would you call it? I has to be something outside our dimensional awareness or we would see, smell, taste, hear, touch it.

They do not have to attach memory to symbols to have memory. My dog recognizes me therefore it remembers who I am when I return after being away. That memory has to be stored somewhere. If neurons are not the answer for me remembering it, why would they be the answer to it remembering me? It remembers where its food bowl is, the sound of the treat drawer opening. It may be a stimulus-response, but it has to be a memory.
I agree, of course dogs have memories. They probably even attach some meaning in their own way. They clearly can’t use symbols the way we do.

“I has to be something outside our dimensional awareness or we would see, smell, taste, hear, touch it.”

Good question. I see two possibilities for memory. Either it is in the physical universe but we cannot perceive it as such with our limited perceptic abilities such as eyesight. I

In other words to perceive the memories would require the ability to receive the appropriate wavelength from wherever the memories are located. Some animals have perceptic abilities we don’t have. They perceive wavelengths we don’t perceive.

(Note that the physical universe appears to be mostly empty space. It’s not like there isn’t room in the broom closet.)

The other possible location for the memories, logically, would be outside the physical universe as we know it. I guess some people call that another dimension, if that’s what you meant with your pan-dimensional.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. This can be simply an abstract discussion or action can lead to answers. Scientists can figure it out.

If you take a step back and look at what you wrote, you’ll see that you are opening up more questions than providing answers.

Where are you in all this?

Where is this memory build located in the physical universe of the brain?

Where are these neural pathways located? Are they fixed? If not, what happens to that “build” When you build new memories and pathways?

How are all these things indexed?

But the basic question is, which is not answered by you or anyone else in psychology or any other relative relevant science, where in the brain are all these things located when you build new memories and pathways?

If you simply quantify the magnitude of items to be processed or stored or however you want to describe it, the brain does not have the capacity.

Think pixels in a modern cell phone camera. That image coming through light waves into our eyes and being changed into electrical signals, as you described, involves perhaps trillions of pixels. That’s one instant, one image, what about the ongoing video of life?

The numbers don’t add up.

Edited: Sorry for the extraneous stuff from my dictation device.
Of course I am raising more questions than answers. There are no comforting goal posts here. ;)

As I said, I don’t believe the brain has a storage device. When we learn a new skill, like dribbling a basketball, the brain uses a lot of energy and capacity. As we progress, the brain will use less energy and less capacity to the point that a dribble seems automatic. People like to call those things muscle memory, but they really are brain memory and the brain becoming more efficient with repetition. A stroke victim needs to compensate for brain damage by building different pathways to accomplish the same task. That ability is what they call brain elasticity. People can hear with cochlear implants. That’s the brain making new pathways. I don’t think the brain will ever run out of capacity. I think evolutionists will tell you than the high functioning portions of the human brain continues to evolve as we acquire more and more knowledge. That is why I don’t worry a lot about AI but I do worry about those forces that we voluntarily succumb to that limit our need to think and do.

Of course I am raising more questions than answers. There are no comforting goal posts here. ;)

As I said, I don’t believe the brain has a storage device. When we learn a new skill, like dribbling a basketball, the brain uses a lot of energy and capacity. As we progress, the brain will use less energy and less capacity to the point that a dribble seems automatic. People like to call those things muscle memory, but they really are brain memory and the brain becoming more efficient with repetition. A stroke victim needs to compensate for brain damage by building different pathways to accomplish the same task. That ability is what they call brain elasticity. People can hear with cochlear implants. That’s the brain making new pathways. I don’t think the brain will ever run out of capacity. I think evolutionists will tell you than the high functioning portions of the human brain continues to evolve as we acquire more and more knowledge. That is why I don’t worry a lot about AI but I do worry about those forces that we voluntarily succumb to that limit our need to think and do.
Physical activity is one thing. I’m more interested in the vast storehouse of case knowledge an experienced lawyer has that enables him to convince the judge of some point on the spot. Or a doctor making a rare diagnosis that befuddled all the other doctors.

Capacity may be infinite, but the brain isn’t.

Physical activity is one thing. I’m more interested in the vast storehouse of case knowledge an experienced lawyer has that enables him to convince the judge of some point on the spot. Or a doctor making a rare diagnosis that befuddled all the other doctors.

Capacity may be infinite, but the brain isn’t.
The more interesting question for me isn’t the storehouse of knowledge, but the ability to access the relevant memories and then apply them to achieve a particular objective.

I agree, of course dogs have memories. They probably even attach some meaning in their own way. They clearly can’t use symbols the way we do.

“I has to be something outside our dimensional awareness or we would see, smell, taste, hear, touch it.”

Good question. I see two possibilities for memory. Either it is in the physical universe but we cannot perceive it as such with our limited perceptic abilities such as eyesight. I

In other words to perceive the memories would require the ability to receive the appropriate wavelength from wherever the memories are located. Some animals have perceptic abilities we don’t have. They perceive wavelengths we don’t perceive.

(Note that the physical universe appears to be mostly empty space. It’s not like there isn’t room in the broom closet.)

The other possible location for the memories, logically, would be outside the physical universe as we know it. I guess some people call that another dimension, if that’s what you meant with your pan-dimensional.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. This can be simply an abstract discussion or action can lead to answers. Scientists can figure it out.
Wouldn't Alzheimer's (or amnesia) be an argument against the storage outside the physical universe theory, or does that damage the brain's ability to retrieve memories from there?

Wouldn't Alzheimer's (or amnesia) be an argument against the storage outside the physical universe theory, or does that damage the brain's ability to retrieve memories from there?
It surely appears that the body would be playing an intermediate role in any case. You can also look at the extreme opposite sort of case, where certain situations seem to allow people extraordinary access, for example savants.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Dems will use this against her in 2028 when she's the GOP nominee

It’s disgusting, undemocratic, and anti American. I wish actual Republicans would stand up against this bull shit. It’s happening all over the country and it’s (again and as always) the GOP suppressing and disenfranchising voters. Way too many Republicans are OK with this strategy.

Aside from all that, the GOP may be wrong here. Record turnout in 2020 worked out pretty well for the party. Aside from the Presidential vote, they did well.

ADVERTISEMENT