ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers say the darndest things

I have no problem with using the word in different ways. We also talk about "stellar evolution," which is the lifecycle of a star, and isn't even analogous to biological evolution. But you and lurker's posts above seemed to conflate biological evolution with individual development, so I wanted to make sure the distinction was crystal clear.
Please tell me this is not going to turn into a semantic hair splitting contest with COH. You won't win and it will trash the thread.

The mistake was believing the mike was off. Saying the N word was not a mistake. Do you want him to apologize for leaving the mike on?

I‘d like to think the human brain is evolving to a higher order and causes us to see the world and each other with reason and logic. But that ain’t happening. In fact we have probably regressed over the last generation. We increasingly see one another in strictly binary terms. Either bad or good. Either a victim or an oppressor. Either racist or non-racist. The binary choice is triggered by skin color, what clothes we wear, what cap we wear, or what we say about a particular issue. As critical race theory becomes more deeply rooted in youngsters and culture, binary thinking will become worse.

This was not a slip of the tongue or an uncontrolled outburst. The entire conversation between the two announcers borders on racism, but his deliberate, defiant use of a word he knows most find offensive occurs at about the 57-sec mark. That's nearly a minute into a pretty hateful conversation between the two...

It was not something that the team engaged in just for the playoffs- they had been kneeling all season long. And the even more blatantly racist aspect of his comments is the fact that he seems to be unaware of the team being composed of both Black and White players and that the White players are kneeling in unison with the Black players.

Yet somehow he perceives it as "race-driven" and his hate/anger is specifically directed towards only the Black players. It's almost as if in his mind he sees all the White players standing while the Black players are kneeling.

Maybe he was slipping into a diabetic coma and his mind couldn't register what he saw with his own eyes... :rolleyes:

Reactions: UncleMark
Electricity is physical.

You guys are misunderstanding the nature of evolution. Evolution isn't something that happens to individuals. It happens over successive generations. If we improve our minds over the course of our lives, that's not evolution; it's development and growth. An important distinction, because, unlike evolution, the work dies with us. We can't pass down our developed minds to our children. We can, however, take what we have learned, and use it to help future generations also grow and develop their minds. But that takes effort.
Indeed, electricity is likewise physical.

I wasn’t conflating anything. I was pulling the string back on the natural concept of evolution. It does seem like COH may be jumping from one definition to another.

Neurons. Our memories are very, very fallible because of the way memory is stored. If you recall driving in an orange AMC Gremlin with a brunette and almost hitting a dog, your brain fired a neuron for orange, a neuron for AMC Gremlin, a neuron for a brunette woman, and a neuron for dog. Your brain than assembles it into your memory.

If you have no reason to remember that story, the connections fade. Eventually your brain may fill in a silver Gremlin, or worse, a Pacer. The woman might become a blonde you knew, or the dog a cat.

The think is, you still believe your memory is real and infallible. I am still friends with 3 good friends from high school. It is amazing how each of us can recall "the time that" but the details are always a little different.

If as you theorize memory is stored in something outside the physical body, shouldn't our memories be more perfect? You can Google the studies showing the fallibility.
Neurons.

Neurons are to me the most farcical attempt to explain memory. I don’t mean this as an attack on you personally. Where does the dog come from that the dog neuron fires the dog message? Everything in your explanation, if you take a step back, omits some prior ontological existence of something somewhere that you don’t explain.

Aside from that, if. you have ever looked at a diagram of a neuron, it doesn’t even begin to resemble a storage location. It’s a channel. It’s a pathway. It’s a way to arc a positive to a negative or a negative to a positive, whichever way it happens to go. It doesn’t make any sense as a storage location.

The goalposts are evolving.
oWUuoMf.gif

That was fast. I don't remember them having legs/feet.

Indeed, electricity is likewise physical.

I wasn’t conflating anything. I was pulling the string back on the natural concept of evolution. It does seem like COH may be jumping from one definition to another.
The problem is you conflate “physical” with “biological,”. Our minds run on electricity, electricity doesn’t evolve but our minds do

Neurons.

Neurons are to me the most farcical attempt to explain memory. I don’t mean this as an attack on you personally. Where does the dog come from that the dog neuron fires the dog message? Everything in your explanation, if you take a step back, omits some prior ontological existence of something somewhere that you don’t explain.

Aside from that, if. you have ever looked at a diagram of a neuron, it doesn’t even begin to resemble a storage location. It’s a channel. It’s a pathway. It’s a way to arc a positive to a negative or a negative to a positive, whichever way it happens to go. It doesn’t make any sense as a storage location.
Memory is pretty complex and not well understood. It’s much more than thinking about past events. Riding a bike is based on memory—one that people say you never forget. Memory controls everything we do. I personally believe memory is a process, not a storage device. When I remember how to ride a bike or my stoker’s birthday, electrical impulses follow established paths of neurons—paths that I’ve used before. As we learn new skills and things, electricity follows new paths. Some recall is automatic, like walking. Other recall requires a starter, like the name of a book you can’t recall. Memories are fallible. When we reminisce with our adult children, we all have different memories of the same family events. Like the universe; the human brain is not well understood. Both are fascinating.

Memory is pretty complex and not well understood. It’s much more than thinking about past events. Riding a bike is based on memory—one that people say you never forget. Memory controls everything we do. I personally believe memory is a process, not a storage device. When I remember how to ride a bike or my stoker’s birthday, electrical impulses follow established paths of neurons—paths that I’ve used before. As we learn new skills and things, electricity follows new paths. Some recall is automatic, like walking. Other recall requires a starter, like the name of a book you can’t recall. Memories are fallible. When we reminisce with our adult children, we all have different memories of the same family events. Like the universe; the human brain is not well understood. Both are fascinating.
Interesting post Coh. My college roommate was a guy from England who was on a double decker bus that crashed in his teens. He had a tbi from it. Lost all memory of his family, friends and history. Yet he remembered perfectly everything he learned in school (algebra/English etc) and muscle memory for soccer. England’s equivalent of 20/20 did a segment on him. Played D1 and pro soccer in the states and graduated with a 3.8. His memory for fam and friends never returned. He felt no connection to them at all. Married a girl from nj and never went back to England. Sad.

Last edited:
True story. I’ve been deposed a few times. One of the times the deposing lawyer, who was a friend, said “That was the most difficult deposition he ever took,”.
Lmao. I can only imagine opposing counsel. “Let the record reflect that I am now standing. One more non responsive answer I’ll be punching”

Interesting post Coh. My college roommate was a guy from England who was on a double decker bus that crashed in his teens. He had a tbi from it. Lost all memory of his family, friends and history. Yet he remembered perfectly everything he learned in school (algebra/English etc) and muscle memory for soccer. England’s equivalent of 20/20 did a segment on him. Played D1 soccer and graduated with a 3.8. His memory for fam and friends never returned. He felt no connection to them at all. Married a girl from nj and never went back to England. Sad.
Jesus that sounds like the prelude for some dark comedy where he finds out his family is in the mob and he's being chased all over the place b/c of what he knows.

More about voting. Georgia's legislature is considering ending weekend voting. Has anyone proof that people who vote on the weekend are more likely to commit fraud?

They also are considering a law to make it illegal to supply food or water to people waiting in a voting line. Yep, let's cut down on mail voting, let's eliminate days, let's have people wait hours to vote, and let's make it difficult for them to drink while in line. Is there evidence that people getting a water bottle waiting in a long line are involved in fraud.

It looks like many in the GOP aren't even making pretenses it is about fraud. It is all about lowering the number of Democratic voters.

Why does voting have to be so hard. I go to my polling place, pull out my driver’s license, the polling worker finds my name in the book and I sign next to my name and vote. It’s not hard. I get my ass out of bed before work, vote and get to work on time.

If I want an absentee ballot I should have to request it. My completed ballot should be postmarked before the election and a copy of an ID with a signature should be with the ballot.

Why do democrats have a problem with the above? Only one reason.

Jesus that sounds like the prelude for some dark comedy where he finds out his family is in the mob and he's being chased all over the place b/c of what he knows.
Yeah he was in one of the academies playing at the time. Sat out a year after the crash and wanted to leave so badly that he went to one of the US D1 ID camps over there, signed, and left for the states. Never went back. Super smart guy too

Why does voting have to be so hard. I go to my polling place, pull out my driver’s license, the polling worker finds my name in the book and I sign next to my name and vote. It’s not hard. I get my ass out of bed before work, vote and get to work on time.

If I want an absentee ballot I should have to request it. My completed ballot should be postmarked before the election and a copy of an ID with a signature should be with the ballot.

In many states, you have to have a reason to request absentee. Not everyone can, you have to be out of state or of a certain age. We also know that often in many locations there are long lines. If there is a 2-hour line at 6 AM, how do you get to work by 8? And of course, for people who don't own cars, it becomes even more complicated.

So why do we want to make it more difficult to vote? Why do we want longer lines? Why do Republicans want to make it hard. The long lines aren't ever a problem in Republican Hamilton County, but they often are in Democratic Marion County. Hmm.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Interesting post Coh. My college roommate was a guy from England who was on a double decker bus that crashed in his teens. He had a tbi from it. Lost all memory of his family, friends and history. Yet he remembered perfectly everything he learned in school (algebra/English etc) and muscle memory for soccer. England’s equivalent of 20/20 did a segment on him. Played D1 soccer and graduated with a 3.8. His memory for fam and friends never returned. He felt no connection to them at all. Married a girl from nj and never went back to England. Sad.
i Was in a bad bike auto accident years ago. i was hit from the back and never saw it coming. The impact was a split second, yet my mind put it in slo-mo and I remember every detail. That is not an uncommon phenomenon but not usual. I asked a neurologist friend about that and he shrugged and said they don’t know how that works. I’ve had clients who black out the event, like Tiger Woods. The mind is a strange place.

One of my favorite literary passages is from Milton‘s Paradise lost. I’ve used this in closing arguments when trying to explain emotional injuries.

A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.​

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Move to a democrat county in a republican state and tell me again how easy it is to vote.

You are fine with voter suppression because it helps your political party. If it helped the dems, you would be seeing it for what it is - cheating.

i Was in a bad bike auto accident years ago. i was hit from the back and never saw it coming. The impact was a split second, yet my mind put it in slo-mo and I remember every detail. That is not an uncommon phenomenon but not usual. I asked a neurologist friend about that and he shrugged and said they don’t know how that works. I’ve had clients who black out the event, like Tiger Woods. The mind is a strange place.

One of my favorite literary passages is from Milton‘s Paradise lost. I’ve used this in closing arguments when trying to explain emotional injuries.

A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.​
Love it Coh! As an aside your jury pool must be a lot different than Stl City. Most defense lawyers he end with: “Now come on folks. Ya got remember this ain’t power ball”

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Move to a democrat county in a republican state and tell me again how easy it is to vote.

You are rooting for voter suppression because it helps your political party.

the hell I am. If you want to vote get off your lazy ass and vote. It’s not that hard.

if you want to cheat mail the damn ballots out and check nothing. Everyone in DC knows the democrats believe it’s their right to cheat.

• Haha

What is that one reason?

So, when you want to go vote on the one day it's open from 6 to 6, how does your boss at your hourly job that you work at on the other side of the city with inadequate and underfunded mass transit feel about you asking for the time off to go vote? How does he feel when you come in 4 hours later because they have constricted hours and opportunities so much that the lines at the polling places are longer than they should be...and Heaven forbid there be a problem at the polling place. Does he count you as present so that you don't lose those wages, or does he dock that time?
I'm interested to hear how your boss would handle this. And how you would handle the decision between voting or being able to make enough money to pay for food that week. I mean, either way, you need to get off your lazy ass right?

Last edited:
In many states, you have to have a reason to request absentee. Not everyone can, you have to be out of state or of a certain age. We also know that often in many locations there are long lines. If there is a 2-hour line at 6 AM, how do you get to work by 8? And of course, for people who don't own cars, it becomes even more complicated.

So why do we want to make it more difficult to vote? Why do we want longer lines? Why do Republicans want to make it hard. The long lines aren't ever a problem in Republican Hamilton County, but they often are in Democratic Marion County. Hmm.

I guess the game is, democrats cheat and republicans try to make it harder to offset the cheating.

It’s not hard to have a reasonable nationwide law to either vote in person Election Day with a valid ID or request an absentee ballot with no reason needed with valid ID and mail completed ballot back in with valid ID bef

I guess the game is, democrats cheat and republicans try to make it harder to offset the cheating.

It’s not hard to have a reasonable nationwide law to either vote in person Election Day with a valid ID or request an absentee ballot with no reason needed with valid ID and mail completed ballot back in with valid ID bef
The LAST reason Republicans want to make voting harder is to offset cheating.

the hell I am. If you want to vote get off your lazy ass and vote. It’s not that hard.

if you want to cheat mail the damn ballots out and check nothing. Everyone in DC knows the democrats believe it’s their right to cheat.

You mean like how Trump and his family mailed in their votes? The very people that get idiots like you to believe mailed in votes are rife with fraud.

They do check the mailed in votes. Stop believing your propaganda.

Lmao. I can only imagine opposing counsel. “Let the record reflect that I am now standing. One more non responsive answer I’ll be punching”

One of the best deposition answers I heard came from another attorney whom I was representing at the deposition. As near as I recall the exchange went like this:

Q: Is it a fair summary of your testimony that. . . .
A. I don’t know, when you read the transcript you can make your own summary.

I damn near lost it with that answer.

What is that one reason?

So, when you want to go vote on the one day it's open from 6 to 6, how does your boss at your hourly job that you work at on the other side of the city with inadequate and underfunded mass transit feel about you asking for the time off to go vote? How does he feel when you come in 4 hours later because they have constricted hours and opportunities so much that the lines at the polling places are longer than they should be...and Heaven forbid there be a problem at the polling place. Does he count you as present so that you don't lose those wages, or does he dock that time?
I'm interested to hear how your boss would handle this.

Make Election Day another national holiday and let everyone Off work to vote.

Of course those working really aren’t the problem.

Now I will duck. 😂

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
You mean like how Trump and his family mailed in their votes? The very people that get idiots like you to believe mailed in votes are rife with fraud.

They do check the mailed in votes. Stop believing your propaganda.

You believe they checked them all? Sure the tooth fairy will visit you tonight. They did not check every mail in ballot against a valid ID with a signature.

You are fine with voter suppression because it helps your political party. If it helped the dems, you would be seeing it for what it is - cheating.
Which county do you live in?

Democats don't cheat any more than Republicans do and we are yet to hear about any substantial fraud. That is why Trump lost every challenge by the way. LACK OF FRAUD AT THE LEVEL NEEDED TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

It's a fictional bogeyman story propagated by the GOP to excuse their voter suppression.

In fact, how is that dead person that voted for Trump in PA? oh yea, that isn't cheating because it was a vote for donny boy. You want to talk about fraud, but probably want to ignore the fraud on your side.

Last edited:
Make Election Day another national holiday and let everyone Off work to vote.

Of course those working really aren’t the problem.

Now I will duck. 😂
You do know that MANY people, usually in hourly jobs, still work on National Holidays, right? Have you been to a city in your life? Things don't come to a screeching halt on Christmas. I can't image the collective Karen scream from Hamilton County if everything was closed.

i bet most companies don't put election day as a holiday.

He is out of touch with the real world.

I'm sure if election day was made a holiday, then the GOP would try to block voting on election day.

One of the best deposition answers I heard came from another attorney whom I was representing at the deposition. As near as I recall the exchange went like this:

Q: Is it a fair summary of your testimony that. . . .
A. I don’t know, when you read the transcript you can make your own summary.

I damn near lost it with that answer.
F-ing hilarious!!! My favorite depo line was also from a lawyer. He was the muni judge in a high crime muni. He always had a gun on him under his robe. He had objected to like a 400 million dollar class action settlement. Had to do with computer components. The lawyers flew to Saint Louis to depose him. The main lawyer goes:

Sir. Do you know what it takes to prosecute a case of this magnitude. Do you understand the time involved? Do you understand the expense involved? Sir, do you understand the courage it takes?

The Saint lawyer looked him right in the eyes and goes: “I’m the night court judge in the city of Jennings. Don’t ever talk to me about courage.”

I spit my Starbucks all over the table.

Last edited:

I'm sure if election day was made a holiday, then the GOP would try to block voting on election day.

Why are you against providing a valid ID to vote?

Does your place of employment put Election Day as a Holiday?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT