ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers say the darndest things

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
The Supreme Court was hearing a case in Arizona that involves 1) votes cast at an incorrect precinct and 2) someone other than a family member delivering the ballot. The following exchange happened:

In a hearing on Tuesday, Justice Amy Coney Barrett asked why the Arizona Republican Party was involved in trying to reinstate the law.

“What’s the interest of the Arizona RNC in keeping, say, the out-of-precinct ballot disqualification rules on the books?" she asked.​
“Because it puts us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats,” replied attorney Michael Carvin, who is representing the Arizona Republican Party. “Politics is a zero-sum game. And every extra vote they get through unlawful interpretation of Section 2 (of the Voting Rights Act) hurts us. It’s the difference between winning an election 50-49 and losing an election 51 to 50.”​

More about voting. Georgia's legislature is considering ending weekend voting. Has anyone proof that people who vote on the weekend are more likely to commit fraud?

They also are considering a law to make it illegal to supply food or water to people waiting in a voting line. Yep, let's cut down on mail voting, let's eliminate days, let's have people wait hours to vote, and let's make it difficult for them to drink while in line. Is there evidence that people getting a water bottle waiting in a long line are involved in fraud.

It looks like many in the GOP aren't even making pretenses it is about fraud. It is all about lowering the number of Democratic voters.

More about voting. Georgia's legislature is considering ending weekend voting. Has anyone proof that people who vote on the weekend are more likely to commit fraud?

They also are considering a law to make it illegal to supply food or water to people waiting in a voting line. Yep, let's cut down on mail voting, let's eliminate days, let's have people wait hours to vote, and let's make it difficult for them to drink while in line. Is there evidence that people getting a water bottle waiting in a long line are involved in fraud.

It looks like many in the GOP aren't even making pretenses it is about fraud. It is all about lowering the number of Democratic voters.

More specifically, Georgia is targeting Sundays. Black churches in Georgia have used "Souls to the Polls" to boost voter turnout in their congregations and this is very obviously targeted at that.

Reactions: UncleMark
More specifically, Georgia is targeting Sundays. Black churches in Georgia have used "Souls to the Polls" to boost voter turnout in their congregations and this is very obviously targeted at that.
Just don’t call them racist. It offends racist republicans and makes it less likely they’ll work with democrats in the future.

It’s disgusting, undemocratic, and anti American. I wish actual Republicans would stand up against this bull shit. It’s happening all over the country and it’s (again and as always) the GOP suppressing and disenfranchising voters. Way too many Republicans are OK with this strategy.

Aside from all that, the GOP may be wrong here. Record turnout in 2020 worked out pretty well for the party. Aside from the Presidential vote, they did well.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It’s disgusting, undemocratic, and anti American. I wish actual Republicans would stand up against this bull shit. It’s happening all over the country and it’s (again and as always) the GOP suppressing and disenfranchising voters. Way too many Republicans are OK with this strategy.

Aside from all that, the GOP may be wrong here. Record turnout in 2020 worked out pretty well for the party. Aside from the Presidential vote, they did well.
These ARE actual republicans and these ARE the people actual republicans vote for. The republican party was not recently infiltrated and completely taken over. This is who they are and who they’ve been for a long time.

It is all a means to an end. Democrats are evil so anything done in the name of defeating them is alright.

Gerrymandering, voter suppression and electoral college...all ways to let the minority rule the majority.

These ARE actual republicans and these ARE the people actual republicans vote for. The republican party was not recently infiltrated and completely taken over. This is who they are and who they’ve been for a long time.

Yup. No matter what Trump did or said, he still had/has the support of the majority of republicans. He was right when saying he could shoot someone in broad daylight and still have their support.

Yup. No matter what Trump did or said, he still had/has the support of the majority of republicans. He was right when saying he could shoot someone in broad daylight and still have their support.
We got so lucky with Trump. See, a person like Trump being elected is the natural progression of republican ideology. Wannabe dictator, authoritarian, you name it. We got lucky that it was Trump, a complete goddamn dumbass. Next time we might get a competent version.

We got so lucky with Trump. See, a person like Trump being elected is the natural progression of republican ideology. Wannabe dictator, authoritarian, you name it. We got lucky that it was Trump, a complete goddamn dumbass. Next time we might get a competent version.
Cruz? Hawley?

+ the Coronavirus (the Lord sometimes acts in mysterious ways).

Reactions: iuwclurker
+ the Coronavirus (the Lord sometimes acts in mysterious ways).
(...as do his voters…) I can actually understand voting for Trump. You like his policy. OK. But to consider him the next Messiah? That’s a stumper.

So do racist (I assume we can use the term here) high school girls' basketball radio announcers in Oklahoma.

The incident occurred as "The Star-Spangled Banner" began to play. The broadcasters told their listeners on the NFHS Network stream they would return after a break and then one, not realizing the audio was still live, used an expletive and an epithet as the Norman players kneeled.

"They're kneeling? F--- them," announcer Matt Rowan said. "I hope Norman gets their ass kicked ... F---ing N-words."

But wait...he blamed it on the...

giphy.gif

"I will state that I suffer Type 1 Diabetes, and during the game, my sugar was spiking," Rowan said. "While not excusing my remarks, it is not unusual when my sugar spikes that I become disoriented and often say things that are not appropriate, as well as hurtful. I do not believe that I would have made such horrible statements absent my sugar spiking."

:rolleyes:

So do racist (I assume we can use the term here) high school girls' basketball radio announcers in Oklahoma.

The incident occurred as "The Star-Spangled Banner" began to play. The broadcasters told their listeners on the NFHS Network stream they would return after a break and then one, not realizing the audio was still live, used an expletive and an epithet as the Norman players kneeled.

"They're kneeling? F--- them," announcer Matt Rowan said. "I hope Norman gets their ass kicked ... F---ing N-words."

But wait...he blamed it on the...

giphy.gif

"I will state that I suffer Type 1 Diabetes, and during the game, my sugar was spiking," Rowan said. "While not excusing my remarks, it is not unusual when my sugar spikes that I become disoriented and often say things that are not appropriate, as well as hurtful. I do not believe that I would have made such horrible statements absent my sugar spiking."

:rolleyes:

I really wish people making a mistake would offer a heartfelt apology and promise to work to do better. This blaming it on something medical really detracts from the first two.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
How heartfelt, really, would an apology for being a racist actually be?

I might as well posit something stupid. I believe the science that humans have a part of their that is our old ape brain and controls a lot of our base functions. Fight or flight being one. That brain desperately wants to sort things as friend or foe as that was critically important to our ancient ancestors.

But humans have evolved higher order brains capable of reason and logic. And does not have a compulsive need to sort things as enemies.

I believe 1) just about everyone's ape brain is capable of racism and 2) just about everyone is capable of having their higher order brains intercept those thoughts without us even be cognitively aware.

So yes, I believe one's higher order brains is capable of apologizing. Incumbent on that is a desire to train that higher order brains to censor the primate brain.

And God, too. Don't forget God. Trump still has the support of God, according to these morons.

Just don’t call them racist. It offends racist republicans and makes it less likely they’ll work with democrats in the future.
I know more racist democrats than republicans so quit assigning blame only on republicans.

And God, too. Don't forget God. Trump still has the support of God, according to these morons.

Well Biden lies constantly, even though the press covers for him, so there are democrat morons too.

Reactions: Schnitzelbonkers
I really wish people making a mistake would offer a heartfelt apology and promise to work to do better. This blaming it on something medical really detracts from the first two.
I might as well posit something stupid. I believe the science that humans have a part of their that is our old ape brain and controls a lot of our base functions. Fight or flight being one. That brain desperately wants to sort things as friend or foe as that was critically important to our ancient ancestors.

But humans have evolved higher order brains capable of reason and logic. And does not have a compulsive need to sort things as enemies.

I believe 1) just about everyone's ape brain is capable of racism and 2) just about everyone is capable of having their higher order brains intercept those thoughts without us even be cognitively aware.

So yes, I believe one's higher order brains is capable of apologizing. Incumbent on that is a desire to train that higher order brains to censor the primate brain.
The mistake was believing the mike was off. Saying the N word was not a mistake. Do you want him to apologize for leaving the mike on?

I‘d like to think the human brain is evolving to a higher order and causes us to see the world and each other with reason and logic. But that ain’t happening. In fact we have probably regressed over the last generation. We increasingly see one another in strictly binary terms. Either bad or good. Either a victim or an oppressor. Either racist or non-racist. The binary choice is triggered by skin color, what clothes we wear, what cap we wear, or what we say about a particular issue. As critical race theory becomes more deeply rooted in youngsters and culture, binary thinking will become worse.

Reactions: meridian
The mistake was believing the mike was off. Saying the N word was not a mistake. Do you want him to apologize for leaving the mike on?

I‘d like to think the human brain is evolving to a higher order and causes us to see the world and each other with reason and logic. But that ain’t happening. In fact we have probably regressed over the last generation. We increasingly see one another in strictly binary terms. Either bad or good. Either a victim or an oppressor. Either racist or non-racist. The binary choice is triggered by skin color, what clothes we wear, what cap we wear, or what we say about a particular issue. As critical race theory becomes more deeply rooted in youngsters and culture, binary thinking will become worse.

If you use the n word in 2021 it’s because you are a racist. You have used the word your whole life and you associate with people who use that word. The guys a POS and it’s not cancel culture.

Or use both! how about instead of my blood sugar was off: "sorry. i grew up in rural oklahoma with varying degrees of racist people who used that word a lot. i'll work on doin better."

I have often said I grew up in a racist family in a racist neighborhood. My sister was a racist until Obama, something changed in her. She no longer is. She changed deep in her 60s.

I believe people are capable of change. They just have to realize their beliefs are wrong and have a desire to correct that. The announcer may have been a racist that day, that doesn't mean they have to be one in a few weeks.

I have often said I grew up in a racist family in a racist neighborhood. My sister was a racist until Obama, something changed in her. She no longer is. She changed deep in her 60s.

I believe people are capable of change. They just have to realize their beliefs are wrong and have a desire to correct that. The announcer may have been a racist that day, that doesn't mean they have to be one in a few weeks.
a few weeks you say? I'm not sure I'd take that bet lol. just kidding. i agree with you on all fronts. not all of us grew up in san fran and were educated at berkeley. some grew up hearing the N word regularly and lacked exposure. like you said it doesn't mean they always have to be that way.

when i was in law school my then stoker's dad was a saint louis city cop. one of the nicest, respectful men you'd ever meet. he used to routinely say things like "my colonel is over there. The colored gentleman." i used to think how fing out of it do you have to be to use the term colored in 2000 in half black Saint Louis. Some are just oblivious and a bit slow on the uptake

Last edited:

The brain doesn’t evolve or regress over a single generation.

Kinda sinks the ol’ brain theory.

Still waiting for an answer from anyone, professional or otherwise, on where memory is stored...

Still waiting for an answer from anyone, professional or otherwise, on where memory is stored...
physically the brain evolves very little in a generation. Our minds are the operational part of the brain. Our collective minds are changing and the change tends to make us narrow-minded.

physically the brain evolves very little in a generation. Our minds are the operational part of the brain. Our collective minds are changing and the change tends to make us narrow-minded.
Precisely. So if the mind is not physical, what is it?

The Supreme Court was hearing a case in Arizona that involves 1) votes cast at an incorrect precinct and 2) someone other than a family member delivering the ballot. The following exchange happened:

In a hearing on Tuesday, Justice Amy Coney Barrett asked why the Arizona Republican Party was involved in trying to reinstate the law.

“What’s the interest of the Arizona RNC in keeping, say, the out-of-precinct ballot disqualification rules on the books?" she asked.​
“Because it puts us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats,” replied attorney Michael Carvin, who is representing the Arizona Republican Party. “Politics is a zero-sum game. And every extra vote they get through unlawful interpretation of Section 2 (of the Voting Rights Act) hurts us. It’s the difference between winning an election 50-49 and losing an election 51 to 50.”​

I'll bet this same guy who is math challenged never understates his billable hours or miscalculates his fees.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Neurons. Our memories are very, very fallible because of the way memory is stored. If you recall driving in an orange AMC Gremlin with a brunette and almost hitting a dog, your brain fired a neuron for orange, a neuron for AMC Gremlin, a neuron for a brunette woman, and a neuron for dog. Your brain than assembles it into your memory.

If you have no reason to remember that story, the connections fade. Eventually your brain may fill in a silver Gremlin, or worse, a Pacer. The woman might become a blonde you knew, or the dog a cat.

The think is, you still believe your memory is real and infallible. I am still friends with 3 good friends from high school. It is amazing how each of us can recall "the time that" but the details are always a little different.

If as you theorize memory is stored in something outside the physical body, shouldn't our memories be more perfect? You can Google the studies showing the fallibility.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Electricity.
Electricity is physical.

You guys are misunderstanding the nature of evolution. Evolution isn't something that happens to individuals. It happens over successive generations. If we improve our minds over the course of our lives, that's not evolution; it's development and growth. An important distinction, because, unlike evolution, the work dies with us. We can't pass down our developed minds to our children. We can, however, take what we have learned, and use it to help future generations also grow and develop their minds. But that takes effort.

Electricity is physical.

You guys are misunderstanding the nature of evolution. Evolution isn't something that happens to individuals. It happens over successive generations. If we improve our minds over the course of our lives, that's not evolution; it's development and growth. An important distinction, because, unlike evolution, the work dies with us. We can't pass down our developed minds to our children. We can, however, take what we have learned, and use it to help future generations also grow and develop their minds. But that takes effort.

“My opinion has evolved” is a common view. Social attitudes about a number of things, including race, have evolved. That isn’t how biological evolution works, but it’s not an improper use of the word “evolve”. Our minds are in constant communication with the outside world including other minds. That is how minds “evolve”.

“My opinion has evolved” is a common view. Social attitudes about a number of things, including race, have evolved. That isn’t how biological evolution works, but it’s not an improper use of the word “evolve”. Our minds are in constant communication with the outside world including other minds. That is how minds “evolve”.
I have no problem with using the word in different ways. We also talk about "stellar evolution," which is the lifecycle of a star, and isn't even analogous to biological evolution. But you and lurker's posts above seemed to conflate biological evolution with individual development, so I wanted to make sure the distinction was crystal clear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT