ADVERTISEMENT

Lastest QB Article

I rely on the moxie factor and I think Bazelek has that in spades. More so than any of our QB room.

I think Bazelak was brought in to challenge for the starting position based on his experience in the SEC. He had the benefit of better coaching and a much better offense than the current IU QBs have had the past two years. This season I think we will see the best of our QBs and the best one will play the most.

He seems to get the ball out quick. Which is a must since he will probably be running for his life if the offensive line doesn't improve.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I rely on the moxie factor and I think Bazelek has that in spades. More so than any of our QB room.

I believe he has all the physical tools and the talent to be an All B1G QB.

I remain in the "show me" mode on the moxie factor because he didn't show moxie when things got tough at Mizzou, and he decided to transfer. What happens when things get tough at IU? Because it will get tough in the East.

Let's hope for a solid OL and a WR core that gets open and catches the ball.

I believe he has all the physical tools and the talent to be an All B1G QB.

I remain in the "show me" mode on the moxie factor because he didn't show moxie when things got tough at Mizzou, and he decided to transfer. What happens when things get tough at IU? Because it will get tough in the East.

Let's hope for a solid OL and a WR core that gets open and catches the ball.
Cannot be worse than last year’s offense, right?

That may have been the worst offense at any level I’ve ever seen. It was as if they just waived the white flag early and gave up by calling these bullshit plays running McCulley 3 straight times into the line.

Here's my hot take. 🧐 We know what we have with Tuttle. He could be a high end game manager, but not a game changer, at QB. Unfortunately he seems to have a penchant for some very costly INT's. McCulley has the highest ceiling of any QB on our roster and if he wins the job then he will have made massive strides and we have our QB of the future. Dexter Williams and the incoming freshman, Brendan Sorsby, are complete unknowns and if either play this fall then we had yet another major injury crisis at QB and lookout. At least both should be better than Gamel. All that said, Bazelak and Tuttle have to be the frontrunners to start at this point. I would prefer to see Bazelek win the job if I was choosing between the 2 because, as stated earlier, Tuttle is a known quantity at this point. I really hope that McCulley wins the job and we have our QB of the future for the next 3 seasons locked up. If he's not ready then I hope that Bazelek beats out Tuttle. If the new OC thinks that Tuttle is our best option for Illinois, I will trust him, but I feel like his limitations are known at this point and he's not the guy to lead us back to a bowl game.

Cannot be worse than last year’s offense, right?

That may have been the worst offense at any level I’ve ever seen. It was as if they just waived the white flag early and gave up by calling these bullshit plays running McCulley 3 straight times into the line.
You must have missed Corso’s 1-10 campaign in ‘75. IU beat the Gophers for Homecoming.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Here's my hot take. 🧐 We know what we have with Tuttle. He could be a high end game manager, but not a game changer, at QB. Unfortunately he seems to have a penchant for some very costly INT's. McCulley has the highest ceiling of any QB on our roster and if he wins the job then he will have made massive strides and we have our QB of the future. Dexter Williams and the incoming freshman, Brendan Sorsby, are complete unknowns and if either play this fall then we had yet another major injury crisis at QB and lookout. At least both should be better than Gamel. All that said, Bazelak and Tuttle have to be the frontrunners to start at this point. I would prefer to see Bazelek win the job if I was choosing between the 2 because, as stated earlier, Tuttle is a known quantity at this point. I really hope that McCulley wins the job and we have our QB of the future for the next 3 seasons locked up. If he's not ready then I hope that Bazelek beats out Tuttle. If the new OC thinks that Tuttle is our best option for Illinois, I will trust him, but I feel like his limitations are known at this point and he's not the guy to lead us back to a bowl game.
Would you please draw a flow chart of this for clarification ?

Agree. McCulley is our only dual threat QB and I think that works well at the college level. If he wins the job we might have a surprising season. I also agree with you that Baselak is the front runner.

Respectfully disagree on JT being a known commodity - hasn’t played much and some of that was playing hurt as well as playing some last year with our OL and struggles at RB & WR - I want whoever gives us the the best chance to win behind center - just feel like some are writing JT off too quickly - love the current QB room and the competition it brings - let the best man win….

A couple points:

1. Was mentioned that Bazelek didn’t have moxie because he “transferred when things got tough.” Welcome to the portal world. High end players from big time programs are transferring all the time. I don’t think they suddenly lose their moxie or game-changing abilities just because they decided to enter the transfer portal. Peyton Ramsey transferred and I believe that guy had more game awareness and will to win than just about anybody.
2. Bazelek made a lot of completions under extreme duress at an SEC school. Get back to me when we have a QB on our roster that makes it to Big Ten Freshman of the Year?
3. McCulley is an athlete playing QB and not a true QB. Unfortunately, that gets you by in high school but not at a P5 level. He throws a poor ball. I fully expect him, to my disappointment, to be be in the portal by season’s end.

It can't possibly get worse. The question is... can it improve enough?
Good, bad, or ugly it’s going to be new and that usually takes at least a season to get things down to where you want to be. Hopefully they can move it enough to get out their own end and give the defense a chance without the short fields of last year.

This team will have a different personality with players that have been proven in games before. Shivers has shown he breaks tackles against SEC opponents including making Alabama defense look bad. Bazelak was co-freshman of the year in the SEC so our QB will be very capable even if one beats Blazelak and becomes the starter. There are more play makers on offense that can make the offense explosive like Barner and Matthews along with a couple of transfers that can take the lid off the defense.

We can be sure having coach Allen call the defense, but with coach Wilt running the defense all week, the defense will be much improved. The defense looks to be loaded with excellent players leading them to be a top 25 defense once again.

The kicking game is very good again and if the return game along with coverage step up, they will be dangerous to opponents.

At the end of the day McCulley's confidence was shattered and he lost out to a walk on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT