ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Bird

outlawyer

Sophomore
Feb 26, 2006
I wonder if Larry Bird has any interest in returning to coaching? His back problems were well-known, don't know how his health is now. I've not heard his name mentioned anywhere, so likely he's not willing to take on any coaching job, pro or college. But to me, he's intriguing. The Indiana State job is open and he would be a natural fit there. He would also generate instant buzz in Bloomington. He's not just a legend or a former NBA all-star and champion, but he did show some remarkable coaching for the Pacers' best run since the Slick Leonard ABA days. Just curious.

I have no idea of the answer to your question. I do think our next coach , if possible, should have nba connections. I think that is what recruits want.
Develop me, put our games on tv, increase my draft status.

I wonder if Larry Bird has any interest in returning to coaching? His back problems were well-known, don't know how his health is now. I've not heard his name mentioned anywhere, so likely he's not willing to take on any coaching job, pro or college. But to me, he's intriguing. The Indiana State job is open and he would be a natural fit there. He would also generate instant buzz in Bloomington. He's not just a legend or a former NBA all-star and champion, but he did show some remarkable coaching for the Pacers' best run since the Slick Leonard ABA days. Just curious.

I have a hard time envisioning Larry Bird taking any college coaching job at any stage of his career -- let alone at this stage of his career.

Reactions: asindc and JIMSHAM
I have a hard time envisioning Larry Bird taking any college coaching job at any stage of his career -- let alone at this stage of his career.

Same. He’s in a different stratosphere of basketball hierarchy. Player legends like him own franchises or goof around with ego driven GM roles. Maybe a short dabble in coaching, most likely their former team or alma mater but never meaning to stay long term. Why would they? Legends with egos like Bird’s, don’t take jobs like this. Nothing is impossible, but Id bet my mortgage it’s never happening

College coaching with all its emphasis on scouting and recruiting would be a step down in the Grand Scheme of things for Larry, plus I don’t think his back would allow it. He doesn’t impress me as looking particularly healthy and I’m not convinced he has the right temperament for the young whippersnappers. Other than that said, what a great idea!

IU needs stability in their coaching situation, like Purdue, I hate to say. We had it rolling with Knight, then the younger crowd aged into the majority thinking just about anyone worth their salt could do as well, just because, “It’s Indiana!” Our competition was last heard laughing.

Reactions: 76-1
If you want a coach with a bad back I would pick Thad Matta. I'm not sure physically he could do the job which is why he is no longer coaching.

Same. He’s in a different stratosphere of basketball hierarchy. Player legends like him own franchises or goof around with ego driven GM roles. Maybe a short dabble in coaching, most likely their former team or alma mater but never meaning to stay long term. Why would they? Legends with egos like Bird’s, don’t take jobs like this. Nothing is impossible, but Id bet my mortgage it’s never happening
Makes sense to me. Elway does not coach.

Myles Brand still affecting IU Basketball years later. If his goal was to de-emphasize Basketball at IU. Mission accomplished.
Myles Brand singlehandedly changed our basketball culture, hence his name shall live in infamy within the annals of Hoosier Nation’s once proud basketball tradition.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
Larry Legend put the Pacers right into mediocraty purgatory after he stopped coaching! Drafting guys like TJ Leaf and adding horrible free agents like rodney stuckey, etc. I think hes gone a little senile tbh! I have been pushing for Reggie Miller though! Recruits would love to play for him!

If you have ever met Larry or know him, the simple answer would be no.

Our imaginations are starting to get the better of us.... Bird would want no part of college ball recruiting today. Or having to play chaperone to a group of 18-20 yr olds.

maybe offer him a consulting fee to come to Cook once a week and conduct FT shooting lessons. Bird could shoot better with his off/left hand than most of our team with their natural hand. (yes I know the story about Larry playing most of an NBA game only shooting with his left hand-out of mostly-boredom- and yet putting up 27 pts after 3 quarters).

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT