ADVERTISEMENT

Langford said in interview

Sounds like he prefers Vanderbilt. I don’t understand the appeal of putting Vanderbilt on the map for a year over jumpstarting IU’s program.

Reactions: boilers-seminoles
Sounds like he prefers Vanderbilt. I don’t understand the appeal of putting Vanderbilt on the map for a year over jumpstarting IU’s program.
I couldn't hear everything so did Romeo say that going there and being part of the best recruiting class or was that what Vandy was pitching to him.

I couldn't hear everything so did Romeo say that going there and being part of the best recruiting class or was that what Vandy was pitching to him.

That is their pitch to him. He also wants to see how Drew coaches offense, no mention of defense.

Tradition, facilities, fan support, exposure, post career opportunities- none of that matters apparently.

Tradition, facilities, fan support, exposure, post career opportunities- none of that matters apparently.
Probably not if you think you are a one and done player. Also kids today doesn't remember when IU was on top of college basketball so they did not grow up dreaming of playing for IU like I did when I was growing up.

I also am not saying he is going to Vandy because I don't think anyone knows for sure right now. It depends who you listen to or believe because I have heard the IU is the clear leader and others think he is going to Vandy.

Reactions: iujunky
I can see why a top prospect in Indiana would pick Kentucky or Michigan State. But ****ing Vanderbilt? Play for a coach with a sub .500 record at a school with a minimal national profile?

It’s comical that part of Drew’s pitch is to put Vanderbilt BACK on the map, as if they were ever on the map at any point in time.

I can see why a top prospect in Indiana would pick Kentucky or Michigan State. But ****ing Vanderbilt? Play for a coach with a sub .500 record at a school with a minimal national profile?

It’s comical that part of Drew’s pitch is to put Vanderbilt BACK on the map, as if they were ever on the map at any point in time.

They will probably be pretty good next year if they land Romeo. Heck of a recruiting class it would be. IU will be pretty good next year if they land him too.

Hard 2 comprehend.

Hard 2 comprehend, just glad we got a heck of a coach & will be fine w out him!

I don't think he wants to go to IU because he doesn't want to play defense. That's the area of his game that is overrated. When they played FC, Cobie Barnes, a borderline 3 star recruit, absolutely abused Romeo a few times in the paint.

I don't think he wants to go to IU because he doesn't want to play defense. That's the area of his game that is overrated. When they played FC, Cobie Barnes, a borderline 3 star recruit, absolutely abused Romeo a few times in the paint.

Romeo wants to be on the best player, so he can show off his defense. He did a hell of a job on Bazley. Btw..... Romeo was sick with the flu when he played Floyd Central.

Reactions: mk23

Honestly, I didn't get that at all from the interview. To me it simply sounded like he was answering questions that where asked geared towards his visit to Vandy this weekend.

Reactions: 76-1
This is completely asinine. I hope you’re just trolling.

Reactions: hoosier4life55
Based on Romeo's interviews over the last year, it appears that the top 3 things, in no particular order, he likes about Vanderbilt are:

Academics. Romeo is very interested in studying engineering/business and fully plans on, eventually, finishing his degree.

Offense. Romeo feels that Drew runs an NBA offense.

Recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBADore
Romeo wants to be on the best player, so he can show off his defense. He did a hell of a job on Bazley. Btw..... Romeo was sick with the flu when he played Floyd Central.

Agreed, the games I've seen or read writeups on, he's guarded their best player almost every time. Honestly, he's getting ready to go to Vandy and they asked about Vandy. I didn't hear anything other than him trying to honestly answer questions. He never adds much so I don't see him waxing on IU when they asked about Vandy. As someone said, of course he likes them, they're in his final 3.

It's all fine. He can go to Vanderbilt for 1 year and they may or may not make NCAA Tournament. Drew is NOT a great coach. IU & Archie are building something much much bigger. 1 player doesn't define IU. I watched Vanderbilt early in the year and then again a week ago. They haven't gotten any better.

BTW, Romeo's dad said in an interview today in the Indystar that IU may get another visit after his Vanderbilt visit

I saw that in this IndyStar article https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...im-glad-stayed-here-all-four-years/344766002/

Seems that another visit would be limited to viewing campus and watching practice considering that IU only has one home game left on 2/23 8:00 pm and the bulldogs play at 7:30 the same night at Bloomington North. Too bad Romeo can't witness senior night against a potential top 10 tOSU...I get a feeling we will play well and the crowd will be typical off-the-hook for this game. Something he would absolutely notice and compare to a recent visit to Vandy.

I'm a New Albany grad and resident and am still optimistic he chooses IU, but New Albany players have a history of making college decisions that don't make a lot of sense. I go back to the 1973 team with Julius Norman and Bill Finley, who followed coach Kirby Overman to IUPUI. Then my good friend Richie Johnson in 1980 selecting Missouri then transferring to Evansville. I still recall the day he shared with me in class where he was going and I was like 'where'?? There have been countless other NAHS players where I am wondering what in the world was he thinking. So I won't be surprised if Romeo becomes the next Bulldog to make a head-scratching decision...but I hope he realizes the amazing opportunity he has ahead of him with this decision.

Reactions: NYMBS
Flu? How can he play well with the flu when Purdue apparently can't?

Then my good friend Richie Johnson in 1980 selecting Missouri then transferring to Evansville.

As a kid growing up watching Johnson at UE, I'm curious... where did you think he should have gone? What were his options? I was too young to know who he was until the transfer.

I find it interesting that he said he'd announce at the McDonald's game OR around that time...now why wouldn't he just announce at the game...maybe because he doesn't want to upset one of his buddies who will also be at the game...I'm not saying...I'm just saying...

Bingo

Reactions: IUgradman

He threw down a 360 dunk and a tomahawk dunk. He wasn't that sick. He has a hard time scoring against Floyd Central, the tallest team in the state with an Elite Defense. They aren't 21-1 for no reason.

As a kid growing up watching Johnson at UE, I'm curious... where did you think he should have gone? What were his options? I was too young to know who he was until the transfer.

The details are fuzzy...that was a long time ago and we didn't have the internet to follow all the details like we do now. I'd have to ask him or try to find a newspaper archive for the story.

The Bulldogs were really good Richies senior year but were upset by Broad Ripple in the state champiinship game after a tough struggle with Dan Dakitch and Gary Andrean in the semi if I recall correctly.

I have been a huge IU fan all my life and of course wanted him to be a Hoosier...I don't recall if Coach Knight didn't offer or Richie wasn't interested. I believe it were the latter.

Missouri was a good bit further along in building than Vandy is now. But they still had never really won anything although Norm Stewart had them on the rise. That came crashing down really quickly.

Richie had offers from Louisville and several other big time programs that had much better history than Mizzou. His transfer to UE after a red-shirt year turned out to be good for him to get back in Indiana as he was drafted by the NBA.

Anyway...sorry to ramble on, I just find the Vandy 'option' to be another Bulldog star head scratcher.

Reactions: IUgradman
cd and wi, I might be a bit off here, but I don't think Richie Johnson made it thru his first yr at Mizzou before transferring to Evansville. Mizzou did rise around that time. Made the tourney four years in a row, 80-83, led by Jon Sundvold and Stipanovich.

Those '80 IHSAA Final 4 games at MSA were crazy. Game 1, NA was up 20+ on Dakich's Andrean team. Andrean ended up cutting to 1, getting fouled with a second or 2, and missed both FTs. Don't remember the poor kid's name. Game 2, Ripple won on a half-court buzzer beater by future ND and LA Raider DB, Stacey Toran. Can't recall who they beat...Warsaw, maybe? It would have been whoever came out of FW Semi-State.

I do recall NA being favored and losing in championship game.

He threw down a 360 dunk and a tomahawk dunk. He wasn't that sick. He has a hard time scoring against Floyd Central, the tallest team in the state with an Elite Defense. They aren't 21-1 for no reason.

If they are able to keep Romeo in check and win during sectionals then I will agree with you. He had the flu and it was reported by Matt Denison on the Hoosier Report.

cd and wi, I might be a bit off here, but I don't think Richie Johnson made it thru his first yr at Mizzou before transferring to Evansville. Mizzou did rise around that time. Made the tourney four years in a row, 80-83, led by Jon Sundvold and Stipanovich.

Believe you are correct. Yet he did burn a RS, but that was fairly the norm for freshmen so no biggie.

He wasn't feeling well that night, didn't warm up after halftime. So he got up on open dunks, doesn't mean he wasn't feeling well. Don't know what game you were at but Barnes didn't put moves on him. I believe every time they have played head to head Barnes has to leave with cramps and can't finish the game.
FC is big and does play good defense but it all comes down to who is playing better on a particular night. FC loses to Bloom S, NA beats Bloom S. It's more matchups, who is hot, pressures.

It's all fine. He can go to Vanderbilt for 1 year and they may or may not make NCAA Tournament. Drew is NOT a great coach. IU & Archie are building something much much bigger. 1 player doesn't define IU. I watched Vanderbilt early in the year and then again a week ago. They haven't gotten any better.
This! Hoping Romeo goes to IU but Archie will be fine if he doesn't.

Reactions: channi and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT