ADVERTISEMENT

Langford Crystal Ball

The sky is not falling. He has good players coming in next year, and I’m interested to see what he does with our freshman this year.

Reactions: GS Thomas
Yeah, we may miss out on Romeo and we may not. He may decide he wants to stay home, who knows. The fact we were even in Garlands last 2 says so much about Archie. He is going to be getting 4 and 5 star recruits in handfuls in the coming years.

New Pal Boiler: Why would (anyone) "put any stock into (Jerry Meyer's) thoughts on Romeo" ? Probably because as Director of Basketball Scouting for 247, he made 739 correct predictions of where prospects were going out of 994 tries. After Garland, it's 995. On to the next 1,000. Why would we not expect him to continue batting .743 ?

Reactions: IUgradman
Yeah, we may miss out on Romeo and we may not. He may decide he wants to stay home, who knows. The fact we were even in Garlands last 2 says so much about Archie. He is going to be getting 4 and 5 star recruits in handfuls in the coming years.
The players he has committed in 2017 and 2018 are good enough to make runs in the tournament. He just needs a couple years to get a full team of his guys, and teach them how to play together. You know... like Indiana basketball.

Garland's decision is disappointing, but not unexpected (at least for me).

Just remember that basketball is a team sport, recruiting is a long process (and getting longer, sadly) and a never-ending one, so you don't ever want to invest too much on the prospect of just one (or two) recruit's decisions.

Whatever Langford decides to do, I feel more optimistic about Indiana basketball than I have in a long time -- and neither DG's nor RL's decision will have much bearing on that.

Just remember that basketball is a team sport, recruiting is a long process (and getting longer, sadly) and a never-ending one, so you don't ever want to invest too much on the prospect of just one (or two) recruit's decisions.

Whatever Langford decides to do, I feel more optimistic about Indiana basketball than I have in a long time -- and neither DG's nor RL's decision will have much bearing on that.
Same boat. Well stated.

It is spilled milk now but all it tells me is that we should have shit canned Crean earlier than we did. The fact that Archie Miller could make up that much ground in a short amount of time is telling. Additionally, the past few games have me feeling like Crean did not really leave the program much better off than he found it....

Out of all the "blue blood" programs, Indiana has been the most ridiculous on providing time to a coach that is clearly not working out. From Davis to Crean, we burned years and reputation doubling down on mediocre to flat out bad.

Bob Knight was fired my senior year at IU, I turn 39 this week. We have had a program worth watching maybe 4 times out of the 17 years since the firing. Gets ****ing old watching shit basketball, if this keeps up I am going to take another season off, Tom Crean used up all of my goodwill in watching a team develop.

The players he has committed in 2017 and 2018 are good enough to make runs in the tournament. He just needs a couple years to get a full team of his guys, and teach them how to play together. You know... like Indiana basketball.
Needs to add some shooters

Reactions: kkott
New Pal Boiler: Why would (anyone) "put any stock into (Jerry Meyer's) thoughts on Romeo" ? Probably because as Director of Basketball Scouting for 247, he made 739 correct predictions of where prospects were going out of 994 tries. After Garland, it's 995. On to the next 1,000. Why would we not expect him to continue batting .743 ?
I don't put anything into those stats because it does not take much work to change your pick right before the announcement. To see how good these guys are they should get one pick and stay wit

It does not appear we are anymore for the class of 2018 so I would think maybe we can add layer. I think we need a true point guard who can come in one year so Phinnissee does not have to come and play huge minutes.
Yep..need a scoring guard and a Pg. I️ like the rest of the class.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I dont put anything into Garland choosing Vandy if he does. I’d say his trip w Romeo to IU may have made him realize what a big deal it would be to stay home and play. Had DG chose IU Id have felt Romeo to IU was a done deal too. DG choosing Vandy doesn’t sway anything abt Romeo to IU for me.

Could Durham help fill one of those roles? He looked decent last night (albeit against spotty competition).
Maybe. If we get Langford, then Durham and Green can share time. They would probably be fine since most of the scoring would be set up around Langford.

You don't know how it works. Adorable.

So, IUScott, you don't put "ANYTHING" into a guy like Jerry Meyer's years of predicting where recruits are headed? You're probably right. I mean, why would anybody who spends thousands of hours contacting people who have demonstrated knowledge about the process have any more insight than the guy sitting 3 barstools from the left at a sports bar or a high volume poster on this board ? Good point.

So, IUScott, you don't put "ANYTHING" into a guy like Jerry Meyer's years of predicting where recruits are headed? You're probably right. I mean, why would anybody who spends thousands of hours contacting people who have demonstrated knowledge about the process have any more insight than the guy sitting 3 barstools from the left at a sports bar or a high volume poster on this board ? Good point.

He did not predict anything. He had IU up until the last minute. Then when the news starts to leak he switches to Vanderbilt and gets to say he was correct...

I don't buy those stats because when you change your pick many times during the recruitment that does not impress me one bit. Take a pick and stick with it because changing it after every visit does not do anything to suggest he really knows anything. He change his pick today after the ESPN article came out so how is this show his ability to correctly pick right.

Just for your information, the Garland team said UCLA came in second not IU.

Proving the family strung a massive fanbase along for weeks for what purpose? I have completely lost respect for that family. Screw them. I was indifferent to Vanderbilt. Now I hope they get their ass beat by 30 every night.

Reactions: sasser2
Honestly, it says a lot about Archie that we were/are in both Garland and Romeo's final groups when he has only been our head coach since March. Coming from Dayton, he wasn't even recruiting these guys till he got to IU. They weren't even giving Crean a sniff.
That first sentence of yours brought a smile to my face. We said that about Crean when he first got here and missed out on a few top recruits that expressed interest. We considered it a victory...a moral victory, but still a victory. Victory's without actually winning anything to show for it aren't nearly as rewarding.

That first sentence of yours brought a smile to my face. We said that about Crean when he first got here and missed out on a few top recruits that expressed interest. We considered it a victory...a moral victory, but still a victory. Victory's without actually winning anything to show for it aren't nearly as rewarding.

Victories is the plural of victory.

IUCrazy2: The response to IUScott was about Jerry Meyer's recent ROMEO prediction, NOT Garland's

I know, it is the same with Romeo though. He is thinking they are package deal so he flips to Vanderbilt. The day Romeo announces, Jerry will read the final tea leaves and say, "It is this program". If it is not Vandy he will still claim he was right even though he was wrong up until the point that the announcement was leaking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT